Start by marking “Echo After Echo” as Want to Read:
Echo After Echo

Echo After Echo

Debuting on the New York stage, Zara is unprepared—for Eli, the girl who makes the world glow; for Leopold, the director who wants perfection; and for death in the theater.

Zara Evans has come to the Aurelia Theater, home to the visionary director Leopold Henneman, to play her dream role in Echo and Ariston, the Greek tragedy that taught her everything she knows about love.
Published October 10th 2017 by Candlewick Press

To ask other readers questions about Echo After Echo, please sign up.
Ella Hamlin I read it in sixth grade, and as long as you're okay with murder and some sex stuff, you should be fine.

Start your review of Echo After Echo
Melanie
“This is the Aurelia Theater. It feels like coming home.”

Echo after Echo is an own voices novel, that has such a beautiful f/f romance, surrounding a Broadway theater crew getting ready for opening night, while also trying to solve a murder mystery that may or may not be a curse set on the theater they all love and adore. I devoured this with a smile on my face. I was completely enthralled and immersed by this. I love this story with my entire being.

This theater crew has from Novemb
Elle (TheBookishActress)
The thing I keep coming back to about Echo after Echo is the sheer power of the writing. Almost everything about this book is awesome, but the writing is stunning. It is "I will remember this for the rest of my life" stunning. I genuinely do not remember the last time I read a book written so beautifully. I wanted to highlight every other sentence but I didn't want to put it down because it was so. fucking. engaging. I am going to read every single thing Amy Rose Capetta publishes for the rest o ...more
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
*4.5/5

Breathtaking in a heart-pounding, utter-dread-with-a-side-of-truly-remarkable-romance kind of way. In other words, a book that was perfectly suited to me.
Cristina Monica
Oct 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbt, mystery
Who would have thought playing the dream role of Echo in Echo and Ariston at the theater under the direction of the famous, creative and respected Leopold Henneman would be so dangerous?

And yet it is. Suddenly, Zara does not feel safe in New York anymore. Who would, after mysterious deaths occur, and no one seems to be of blame? Luckily, she has Eli, who works on the production as a lightening assistant.

But her relationship with Eli is precarious, too, seeing that she was forbidden from committi
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

🌟 I read this for the Yule Bingo Challenge, for the category of Nagini: Book with betrayal. For more info on this challenge, click here. 🌟

"An art monster is someone who gives his entire life over to creation" (207)

Finally! An F/F YA romance with substance!

Zara is a teenage actress who moves to New York when she finds out she's received the role of Echo, in the play Echo and Ariston. She's instantly blown away by the glamor of New Yo
Acqua
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
Echo After Echo is a f/f murder mystery set in a theater. I thought a book with a premise such as this couldn't be boring, but Echo After Echo had pacing problems, and that wasn't even the only thing that went wrong.

Even mystery books I didn't love - for example, Far From You and Dangerous Girls - took me half a day. I read 90% of my one true weird love A Line in the Dark in one afternoon.
Echo After Echo took me almost a week.

What I love about mystery books is that the tension keeps me reading e
Mel (Epic Reading)
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-netgalley
It's so rare to find a book where the main characters are LGBTQ and their love story isn't engulfed in stigma or cultural acceptance. For me what makes Echo After Echo so wonderful is that at its core it's a love story that is not contrived, forced or surrounded in stigma.

The Love Story
Perhaps this will not make sense to some, but I just have to say that for me (a bi-sexual woman), it is so refreshing to read a story where a woman falls in love with another woman and the basis of that love has
Sabrina
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, 2017
Checkout my full review on my blog! http://omgbooksandmorebooks.blogspot....

This book has the perfect elements of mystery, suspense and romance! I was afraid that I would not like this book because of the theater like elements but I was so wrong. It was actually one of the things I loved most about this book. AND there is a f/f romance AND one of the characters is bi. The writing is lyrical and enchanting. What more do you need from this book? Everyone needs this book!!
Iris
This book. This book this book this book.

I swear this book saw into my very soul. I mean sure it was a really dark, twisted af murder mystery, but the characters. Zara and Eli just,,, <3

I related so incredibly much to both of them. Like holy shit. And not just the whole queer theatre kid thing (although that too) it was just,,, something deeper than that. There were so many lines that resonated so deeply with me, about theatre, about love, about family, and life, about queerness, about everythin
Jen Ryland
Oct 09, 2017 added it
Shelves: ov, lgbtq
This was really different -- in a good way -- and I hope I can convince others to try it. It's a story about role-playing - both in relationships and on the stage. It's a really sweet f/f love story. It's also a murder mystery.

And as I read it I couldn't stop thinking about Harvey Weinstein.

Why? Check out my blog review here!

Read more of my reviews on JenRyland.com or check out my Bookstagram!

I received a free advance copy of this book from the publisher for possible review.
Shelly
This was just amazing. The perfect amount of suspense/mystery mixed in with the theatre elements and the romance was just extraordinary. Add it to your TBR immediately!
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
See more of my reviews on The YA Kitten! My copy was an ARC I got from the publisher as a reviewer for YA Books Central.
Diversity Rating: 3 - Closer to Reality
Racial-Ethnic:
3 (Eli is Puerto Rican, Zara is culturally Jewish)
QUILTBAG: 5 (Eli is a lesbian, Zara is bi, and there are plenty of QUILTBAG side characters)
Disability: 0
Intersectionality: 3

Much like we now own every rainbow in existence, queer people own the world of theater. We may not always be visible, but we're definitely there. (I'm
Aleksandra
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-releases
YA murder mystery with bisexual lead set in theater that you always wanted!
(at least that I wanted and I’m so happy with this book!)

Echo After Echo is a standalone novel about young actress Zara getting the lead role in Echo and Ariston play in famous New York theater. We follow the production of the play, rehearsals and backstage activities. On the first day, the light designer dies and things get worse from their.
It’s difficult read, the author doesn’t glamorize the realities of theater life.

Z
Marianne (Boricuan Bookworms)
Around 3.5/5 stars? This is a murder mystery set in a sort of greek tragedy play with... a f/f romance between a fat jewish bisexual actress and a PUERTO RICAN lesbian lighting assistant and W O W. I had my doubts about it at first because the pacing seemed very slow and I wasn't sure what was going on, but after it passes the 60% mark things kind of start falling into place and there are a lot of red herrings but the romance!! Wow the romance was so sweet and angsty without being bad or trope ...more
Kelly
The romance between Zara, a bisexual who names her identity powerfully, and Eli is really great. The setting is engaging and exciting, and I love the whole idea of a teen leaving home early to follow her theater dreams.

But the mystery was so weak and felt really shoved in. I never got a sense of Leopold beyond a stereotypical skeezy director. I think this could have been an awesome romance OR an awesome mystery, but bringing them together just didn't work. It was overlong and unfortunately, it u
Dahlia
Gorgeous, intense, romantic, mysterious, and a really pleasant surprise to me in the Jewish rep, too.
Kelly
Oct 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Kelly by: Elle (TheBookishActress)
Argh, that was great! Everyone should read it. Since I'm awkward and couldn't decide, I'm leaving the rating as 4.25 stars.
Thanks to Elise for being excited about this book last year and putting it on my radar! :) <3
Megan
Literally, the first word that comes to mind when I think about this novel is 'adorable'. Zara is adorable. Eli is adorable. They are bloody adorable together, and I think my stone-cold heart nearly burst from the sheer cuteness of it all.

It took a little bit of effort to get into the writing style at the beginning of this one, but once I managed to settle in, then I was pretty much hooked. I loved the concept of the novel, I loved how quickly I became defensive over characters, and I loved how
Shelby M. (Read and Find Out)
My Video Review

So much diversity! A bisexual female Jewish protagonist, a lesbian Puerto Rican secondary character, and a side character who talks about his experience with ADHD and dyslexia.

Unfortunately I found the ending to be abrupt, but other than that I really enjoyed it.
Savannah (The Book Prophet)
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. This in no way effects my overall rating of this book.

This is shamefully the first book I’ve ever read with a f/f relationship as the main focus. I’ve read books with female couples on the side but not as the center focus of the story. That’s the main reason I decided to read this book since I’ve never read it before.

The book also follows a young actress trying to make it in the theater world, another topic I haven’t
Stella ☆Paper Wings☆
Wowww this book took me completely by surprise!! I picked it up for the romance and got invested in the mystery. I also just went to a (pretty gay!) women's march this morning, so this was the perfect book for the day! It's super timely and much deeper than I expected.

☆Characters☆
Zara is such a powerful, precious squishbean!! And says she's bisexual on👏 the 👏 page!👏 Eli is hilarious and beautiful, and, and, and, they just broke my heart, y'all. The side characters are all interesting, too! They'
joanne
"Perhaps it is most important to be making art when death is all around. This is when we need the perfect story."

HI THIS WAS GORGEOUS I'M IN LOVE
Kayleigh
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 stars.

“But here's the real truth: time doesn't work in neat, predictable ways. It doubles over on itself. Finds new ways to hurt you.”

Echo After Echo follows Zara Evans, who has come to the Aurelia Theater, home of the incredible director Leopold Henneman, to play her dream role in Echo and Ariston, the Greek tragedy that taught her everything she knows about love. When Leopold asks Zara to promise that she will have no outside commitments, no distractions, it's easy to say yes. But it's hard
Lea (drumsofautumn)
holy SHIT?????? gimme some time to recover before I review this but holyyyyyy SHITTTT
ellie
This book. Where do I start? Oh, of course. The writing. The incredibly beautiful writing that had no business being this beautiful when it was talking about a mystery set during a play. It's like...Phantom of the Opera, but without all the dramatic singing. There's still a murderous, complex man, but he doesn't really love anyone, and he doesn't wear a mask. But the whole vibe of this book fits that story, you know? But wait. Let me back up. Let me show you how beautiful the writing is:

"Once I
Nicole Field
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: f-f
I wish I could remember where this book was recommended to me from. Probably one of the many f/f lists that I'm on. This book was equal parts be careful what you wish for narrative and the paranoia of a modern gothic novel. I'm not sure I would have read this one if I had found out what it was about before I picked it up.

Zara has only ever wanted to play Echo in the play Echo and Ariston. It's a tragic romance. She has never been in love before, but she lives through stories. I know a few people
KTReads
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Heeeee! I read this before most of you, and it's so so good! Pure dark sparkle magic, with sexy sprinkles on top.
Shay McClean
Jul 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's an LGBTQ love story / murder mystery set in a theatre on Broadway. IS THERE ANYTHING ABOUT THAT SENTENCE THAT ISN'T AWESOME
Ren (A Bookish Balance)
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: standalone
** Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of Echo After Echo in exchange for an honest review **

3.5/5 stars.

Echo After Echo follows an actress named Zara Evans who has just gotten her first big break. She is cast as Echo in the Greek tragedy Echo & Ariston, a play directed by the well-known director Leopold Henneman, and held at the iconic Aurelia Theatre. Leopold is demanding to the point of where things are somewhat disturbing, and he often places his actors in uncomfortable
Tainá
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Zara leaves her home on her senior year of high school to seize a one in a life time opportunity: being the lead actress on her favorite play directed by Leopold Henneman himself. As soon as she gets there though, things start to go wrong, a man dies, she has to live with someone who clearly wanted her part on the play and she couldn’t feel more alone. That’s when she meets Eli, a girl who she pays too much attention to and who insists that the recent accident is ‘the wrong color’.

Even though it
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Last True Poets of the Sea
  • The Edge of the Abyss (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #2)
  • Tell Me How You Really Feel
  • Her Royal Highness (Royals, #2)
  • Under a Falling Star
  • Music from Another World
  • Something to Talk About
  • That Certain Something
  • We Were Promised Spotlights
  • Crier's War (Crier's War, #1)
  • The Henna Wars
  • Starworld
  • The Abyss Surrounds Us (The Abyss Surrounds Us, #1)
  • The Gay Girl's Guide to Ruining Prom
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Late to the Party
  • The Weight of the Stars
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (and the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
Amy Rose Capetta, the author of Echo After Echo, holds a master of fine arts in writing for children and young adults from Vermont College of Fine Arts. She lives in Vermont with her partner, author Cori McCarthy, and their young son.