Start by marking “Treasure at Lure Lake” as Want to Read:
Treasure at Lure Lake

Treasure at Lure Lake

An epic adventure—that’s all Bryce wants this summer. So when he stumbles upon a treasure map connected to an old family secret, Bryce is determined to follow the clues to unearth both, even it means hiking in the wilderness in the middle of nowhere. Bryce must work with his bickering brother, Jack, or they may never see the light of day again!
Published April 12th 2016 by Cedar Fort Publishing & Media

To ask other readers questions about Treasure at Lure Lake, please sign up.
Shari It's set in the north-central Colorado mountains. I combined different features from a couple of different hiking trails and a bit of my own…moreIt's set in the north-central Colorado mountains. I combined different features from a couple of different hiking trails and a bit of my own imaginations.(less)

Jenn Bishop
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
When Bryce leaves for a camping trip in the Rocky Mountains with his teenage older brother Jake and Grandpa, his secret hope is that the supposed treasure map he found in Grandpa's attic will lead him to treasure. But nothing in their hiking adventure is going as planned, as Bryce and Jake constantly squabble over everything and nothing. When the unthinkable happens, both brothers are forced to come to terms with their complicated feelings toward each other.

In its just under 200 pages, this book
Katie Slivensky
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Treasure at Lure Lake is a must for any young wilderness enthusiast. It's a story about survival, secrets, and family, set in an exciting mountain locale. Told from the alternating perspective of two brothers, Bryce and Jack, this story takes the reader on a whirlwind adventure in under 200 pages. Great for reluctant readers!

Bryce and Jack's family is pulling apart at the seams. A summer camping trip with their grandfather and father gets off to a rocky start when their father doesn't end up com
Jennifer Bardsley
Here are my ten-year-old's thoughts about "Treasure at Lure Lake":

"Treasure at Lure Lake is an exhilarating read that I read in under three hours out of pure excitement. Bryce and his older brother, Jack, are staying with their Grandpa for a couple of weeks. Except, it’s not that simple. Bryce finds an old treasure map and starts hunting around. With twists and turns at every corner, the lure of Lure Lake remains illusive. Will Bryce find it? What is the treasure? Will Jack finally get cell pho
Everly Frost
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Treasure at Lure Lake is a compelling story about brothers. It’s told from dual points of view – both the older brother and the younger – giving it wonderful depth and perspective. The two voices are distinct and match the boys’ ages, each revealing the inner thoughts, fears, and hopes of the brothers in a way that shows how differently they are perceived by the other.

Bryce is the younger brother and he openly cares about stuff – he worries about whether he’s doing the right thing, notices the d
Jeri Baird
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brothers, Bryce and Jack can't seem to get along. But a camping trip with Grandpa challenges even their rocky relationship. As one disaster after another pulls them further apart, a tragic mishap highlights what's truly important. Middle grade readers will be hooked from the first page with this adventure story!
Laura Shovan
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I don't review books, but I do blog about them. Read my post about TREASURE AT LURE LAKE here:

Melanie
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TREASURE AT LURE LAKE is a quick and eventful read focused on two brothers, Bryce and Jack, who are spending the summer with their grandfather in the mountains near Lure Lake. The boys are seeming opposites, each struggling to find fulfillment in a summer that's turned disappointing due to their parents' unraveling marriage.

Narrated from each boy's point of view, the story unfolds over the course of an eventful hike into the mountains, full of loads of wilderness details. Prior to the hike, Bryc
Elly Swartz
Treasure at Lure Lake is a fast-paced, middle grade novel filled with outdoor adventure, family dynamics, and many secrets. Brothers Bryce and Jack begin their wilderness journey with their warm and loving grandfather focused on all that separates them. As their travails unravel, the boys are forced to tackle a mother bear protecting her cubs, a hungry elk, treacherous waters, suspicious strangers and unrelenting storms. And when the ultimate challenge is upon them, Bryce and Jack learn how much ...more
Wendy MacKnight
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
What a lovely book!

Things aren't going so great in Bryce and Jack's family. Mom and Dad are fighting, and for some reason, Dad doesn't like to visit Grandpa. But the boys do, and despite their bickering relationship, are looking forward to camping with him in the Rockies. Everyone has their own secret that they're carrying with them on the trip, secrets that are just as dangerous as the wilds around them. But then everything goes wrong. Can it be made right again?

My favourite aspect of this boo
Zachary
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There were many things I like about Treasure at Lure Lake but these are a few of my favorite things...the author did a great job with making it an intense/funny/adventurous/fun book to read. It was definitely one of my favorite adventure books. I recommend this to people of any age but mostly for grades 4-8. It's a very heartwarming story with a great plot line. I could really relate to both of the brothers, Jack and Bryce.

I'm 14 years old.
Josh Schwarz
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a great story about brothers, adventure in the mountains, survival tips and how much you would do for your own brother who you thought you hated, when tragedy strikes. I would recommend it for preteens and early teens who want an exciting book that is hard to put down.
Sarah Reida
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
TREASURE AT LURE LAKE is a charming, coming-of-age novel that will be enjoyed particularly by kids who like the outdoors. In LURE LAKE, two brothers, while camping with their grandfather in the mountains of Lure Lake. Bryce, the younger, welcomes the adventure, and his excitement grows when he discovers a treasure map. Jack, who is more connected with his iPhone than the outdoors, is just trying to hide his resentment of his brother (who he sees as the favorite) and to get through the trip.
As i
Lee Malone
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a charming and fun adventure! Two brothers get pulled into a mystery surrounding an old treasure map during a camping trip with their grandfather. Told in dual perspectives, the book really captures the differences between the two boys, and illustrates their very believable relationship. I especially enjoyed all the great outdoor scenes — this book will be a favorite for kids who love camping.

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Melanie
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of two brothers, Bryce and his older brother Jack. Their parents have been fighting a lot and they are getting ready to go spend some time with their grandfather in his cabin at Lure Lake. Before they leave, Bryce heads out to his grandfather's barn and finds a treasure map, which he stuffs in his backpack to investigate later.

This story is told from both Bryce and Jack's point of view. Jack is older and is into technology and girls and is not excited about this trip at all. Th
Brooks Benjamin
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anyone who knows me will tell you I'm the world's worst person to go camping with. Seriously. I've got a story that'll eventually make it into a book, but I won't tell it here because it's just too embarrassing. Besides, this space is reserved for a novel that actually made me want to go outside and try my hand at hiking through the mountains...in spite of my aforementioned outdoorsy faux pas.

That story is Treasure at Lure Lake. Bryce and Jack are our guides during this story. And through their
Janet
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

What a great book! When Bryce and Jack head out on a camping trip with their grandfather, things are a mess. Grandpa's got a hurt knee. Jack's got a hurt soul. Bryce just wants to fix everything by being good. Except he has a secret. A treasure map that he found in his grandpa's attic. A treasure map that he kind of stole.

Ms. Schwarz did not spare her characters one whit on this journey! They go through some pretty harsh things, and
S.A. Larsen
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful tale of family, growth, and two young brothers.

Set in the wilderness, this adventure follows two brothers on a journey of self-awareness and how they each fit into their family. The story is told from both brother's perspectives, which is one of my favorite parts of the tale. It's almost like the reader is gifted two stories in one, because the boys see everything differently - from their family and each other to the sky. Love how this aspect brings out the real and raw of family si
Sydney
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is about a struggling family, but intertwines it into a bit of an adventure novel as well. Shari Schwarz has created a story that will especially grab the attention of middle school boys. It shows sibling rivalry and family secrets that may pull them all apart or bring them together. Adding a bit of adventure to some painful subjects is a fun twist in the story. I would recommend this book to middles school readers, especially boys.

Genre: middle grade, contemporary, adventure, family
P
Laura Reynolds
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun, fast-paced, story with lots of action, and a surprise turn of events. TREASURE AT LURE LAKE is definitely a pager turner. Shari has done a great job capturing a sibling rivalry between two brothers, Jack and Bryce. You really feel for the boys' struggles. This is a must read for any child who struggles with a sister or a brother or anyone who likes mysteries and treasure hunts. Great job, Shari!
Emily
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book has plenty of tension along with a deeper, heartwarming message. I enjoyed it, and young readers will gobble it up.
Shari
Dec 27, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is my book! :) I hope you enjoy it!
Kathleen Burkinshaw
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cathy
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book! It's a middle grade book and there is a lot going on. I loved the way the book shifts back and forth between Bryce and his brother Jack as they are on their summer camping trip with their grandpa.

I was kind of amazed at the amount of adventures these two boys have and the number of times they are in danger. They nearly die several times. I have to wonder if all boys are like this, because if they are I know I'll have to be on my toes as my little guy gets bigger!

I
Karie
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
The campers in Treasure at Lure Lake are a little more intrepid than I am. Jack and Bryce are taking some time to really rough it with their grandpa up in the mountains of Colorado as they hike to the rather primitive cabin that's been in the family for generations. Jack and Bryce argue back and forth like brothers do--Ms. Schwarz definitely captures the tone of sibling relationships! This seemingly simple trip is beset by some rather traumatic incidents, testing the bond between the brothers, a ...more
Karen Fortunati
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an adventure-packed middle grade story of two brothers, Bryce and Jack, who discover so much more on their annual camping trip with their grandfather. When the story starts, trouble is brewing - Bryce always feels like the little, inferior brother to Jack and Jack feels unworthy and never as good as his baby brother. In addition, their parents' marriage is floundering and their family unit feels like it's on the edge of disintegration. Prior to leaving on the camping trip, Bryce discover ...more
Wade White
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Treasure at Lure Lake is a wonderful contemporary middle grade story with very minor elements of what some might label magical realism (and others might label religious or spiritual).

Told from the dual points of view of two brothers, Bryce and Jack, the story follows their exploits as they accompany their grandfather on a summer hiking trip to the family cabin. Toss in your typical sibling rivalry, a secret map, and a hungry black bear, and you have all the ingredients for a book that is equal p
Karen T.
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Treasure at Lure Lake promises adventure from the very first page. When 12-year-old Bryce finds an old treasure map in his Grandpa's barn, he can hardly contain his excitement at the prospect of finding hidden gems. However, Bryce struggles with feelings of guilt for taking something that perhaps his Grandpa didn't want found. Jack, Bryce's older brother, struggles with his own feelings of self-worth and finding his place in the family. When the two boys head off an annual camping trip with thei ...more
LAWonder10
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a very well-written story of what began as two young boys' reluctant adventure with their grandfather, turning into a much greater experience. It is about secrets unwisely kept, dysfunctional home-life, new awakenings.
The reader will not want to put this book down before the last page is read! There are some unexpected twists, and some are heart-wrenching so be sure to keep a box of Kleenix close by.
What is the treasure worth?
The Book Title and Cover were chosen well. They are eye-catch
Casey Lyall
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
After reading TREASURE AT LURE LAKE, one thing I’m sure of is that I would DEFINITELY die in the wild. Like on day one, (view spoiler) I’d be halfway home already.

Jack and Bryce, however, persevere and manage to survive MUCH worse situations. I read this book in one sitting because I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. It was jam-packed with action and adventu
Todd Sturgell
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Todd by: The author
The best part of Treasure at Lure Lake is the deft handling of the supportive/combative relationship between the two brothers. They are simultaneously envious and reliant on each other's strengths - as many brothers are when the age difference is about two years. Treasure at Lure Lake is a big woods adventure story that also wades deep into the churning rapids of life, death, and family dynamics – and how faith and trust play a part in how we relate to those closest to us.

Full disclosure: I won

• The Last Great Adventure of the PB&J Society
  • Stellarcadia
  • Sir Princess Petra (The Pen Pieyu Adventures #1)
  • Dewi and the Seeds of Doom
  • My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights
  • Pilfer Academy: A School So Bad It's Criminal
  • Dragon Defender (Dragon Defense League, #1)
  • Death's Academy
  • Dr. Fell and the Playground of Doom
  • Super (Supers of Noble's Green, #2)
  • The Third Mushroom
  • Inkling
  • The Mystery of Black Hollow Lane (Black Hollow Lane, #1)
  • The Tundra Trials (Bounders #2)
  • The Peculiar Haunting of Thelma Bee
  • My Fate According to the Butterfly
  • Sean Yeager and the DNA Thief (Sean Yeager Adventures, #1)
  • The Three Thorns
Shari Schwarz lives in Colorado with her husband and their four boys. TREASURE AT LURE LAKE is her debut and reflects her love for a good adventure story and for hiking in the Northern Colorado Rockies.