Start by marking “Origins (Alphas, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Origins (Alphas, #0.5)

Origins

(Alphas 0.5)

From Ilona Andrews—#1 New York Times bestselling author of Magic Shifts and the Kate Daniels novels—comes a stark, seductive tale of a world torn asunder by supernatural gifts and irresistible passions...

Karina Tucker is driving a van of children home from a field trip when an unplanned detour to a seemingly ordinary rest stop changes her life. There, she witnesses a world
Published April 19th 2016 by InterMix

Obsidian
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
Please note that I gave this book half a star. However, I gave it one star on Goodreads due to having to round up.

Book God #1:So we're in hiding now? Obsidian Blue has now threatened to find us and wipe us from the face of the Earth. I mean...I don't know what she wants us to do about it. It's not our fault that one of her favorite authors wrote about the hero running around claiming to own the heroine as well as having to read about him thinking about raping her every five seconds.

Book God #2:
Mimi
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars rounding up because I quite enjoyed it, and I should mention this is not something I thought I'd like.

Overall, I think it's a bit too rushed and so much of the world(s) is either hastily explained )without giving you a good grasp of the existence of these worlds) or not explained sufficiently, but I think if this series continues, it will definitely improve because the writing has all the markings of a pair of authors who know their audience and know what to deliver. They just need mo
Hackmops

What. The. Fuck.

I am on the record for being a huge fan of Ilona Andrews. They are my favourite authors and I have read almost all of their books. They are the only writers whom I also follow through their blog. I was over the moon when I received an ARC for Magic Stars (my first ARC ever!). In short, I love their work and have recommended them to everybody I know. So what the hell was this? This reads like a cheap and terrible version of IA fanfic, written by a different author.

I don't know wha
♥Rachel♥
Oct 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Started off pretty funny with Karina driving six year-olds to a school field trip. They nail real-life kids bickering in the backseat of the car, which is so annoying and yet I remember doing the same thing as a little kid! They make a pit stop, bathroom break and all hell breaks loose. Karina and her daughter are plunged into an alternate world, where she is a precious commodity to a lethal fighter, Lucas. He's big, strong and seductive, but Karina doesn't like the balance of power between them ...more
KatieV
A very gripping novella. I was on the edge of my seat almost the entire time. As usual the authors have their own unique take on "vampires". The characters and 'verse had the potential to be fascinating must-readsd, if and when the Gordons decide to expand on the world.

(view spoiler)
Mitticus
3,3 bloodthirsty stars

Esta historia aparece en la antologia Angels of Darkness donde fue lo único que leí. Con más de 39000 palabras técnicamente no se consideraria una novella, y pasan muchisimas cosas en la segunda mitad a un ritmo vertiginoso que te hacen dar la impresión de ser más largo.

Karina es viuda, con un hija de seis años, viene de regreso de una excursión con otros niños de la clase en su auto, cuando se ve sumergida en medio de todo un mundo oscuro, violento y muy confuso. Y se ve f
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
An Ilona Andrews book I didn't really like that much......

........

The world MUST be ending.
Cathy (cathepsut)
The action starts right away, which is a good thing for a novella of only 157 pages. Could be classed as SciFi, although it has a Urban Fantasy/PNR feel to it, similar to Andrews' Kinsmen novellas.

Good world building, as always. Strong female character. Despicable, strong, good-looking male character with a potential for romance. The usual tropes are coverd. Starts fairly dark, with a kidnapping and dubious consent. Develops into an interesting new world. I like Karina, Lucas and Henry and coul
Treece
Rating: 4 stars

This long story features Karina, an every day Mary Sue-ish heroine who gets sucked into a convoluted universe of mutants, only to learn she is a donor. What does that mean? You will need to read this wild ride of an explanation bursting at the seams with action, dysfunction, bad dudes--who are the 'good guys'-- that are sinisterly scary and a heaping space station sized plot and explanation of "what-the-heck-is-going-on". My hope is that this series will evolve and continue becaus
☕ Kimberly
Aug 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Origins offered a unique story with parallel universes, aliens and kick-ass shifters in a good vs evil situation. Andrews always impresses me with their vivid imagination and unique world-building. This novella is a prequel to the Alphas series with a paranormal romance vibe to it.

The story offers a romance, plenty of action and a satisfactory ending regarding our characters while setting things up for a series. Andrews delivered a dark tale that pulled me in with its science-fiction elements,
Paige  Bookdragon

I want to start the year with an Ilona Andrews book and this one didn't disappoint.
I want this to have its own series because it deserves so and the world building ( ohmygosh) is spectacular. I want to know more about this universe and I want to know more about the other characters.

description
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3/5; 3 stars; B

For a teaser to a new series, this novella gets the job done. I liked it well enough and am interested enough to see where these guys will takes this world. This book wasn't awesome but neither was it terrible. Some people wrote vituperative reviews that are practically longer than the book...there just isn't that much to get worked up about.

I always find I am a bit uncomfortable when introduced to a new world and often rate the first book in a series lower than the others becau
Elena
And just WHY did I snub this gem until now?! I blame it on the cover. And on the title. I mean, even knowing this was an Ilona Andrews story, and thus there was every chance it was going to be slightly more awesome than your average UF, did I really want to read yet another tale of female badassery* and alpha male overpowering prowess? Nah.

Well, yesterday I felt myself dangerously close to fall into a book slump - the horror! - so I turned to the Andrews and hoped their magic could help me out
Dee
Apr 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
I love Kate Daniels, and the Innkeeper series is another favourite. Wasn't that interested in the The Edge books, or the Kinsmen series - to be honest, I wondered if they were written by the same people as they just didn't resonate as well. Then, there was this book.

What an unholy cluster fuck of a book. It was flat out disturbing in the lack of coherence and relatable characters. The whole thing just never made sense. I can believe in monsters and ghoulies and things that roam the night, but th
Carolyn F.
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this short story. I looked everywhere here and on the authors' website and I don't see that they are doing anything else yet with the rest of the series although this is named #0.5. Hurry please, I can't wait to see what happens next!
MrsJoseph
2 years, 1 month

I'm not really sure what I think of this one, to be honest. I...dislike the fact that there is a child involved.

This short is referred to as "dark" but - IMO - in comparison to her Edge series, this one is a lot tamer. Certainly there is a little Stockholm Syndrome going on but not enough of it to really tick me off. Mostly, it felt uncomfortable in places - not enough page space to make it work seamlessly - but it's Ilona Andrews. She just doesn't do complete power imbalance re
Suz
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
The writing is as good as you would expect from Ilona Andrew's, and they managed to make me empathetic with all the characters in a relatively brief amount of time given the novella length of the piece. I found the world and the premise interesting and worthy of further development.

But the Stockholm Syndrome trope is not my cup of tea.
1.5 stars.

Sorry to say I didn’t really like this one. The telling of it was confusing, there were too many mentions of the OW for such a short story, and the whole situation was messed up. This had potential, but there were a lot of loose ends at the end that added to me disgruntled state.
Dragana
Ilona Andrews is my favorite urban fantasy author and the only question is WTH I didn't read this novella sooner...

LIKES:
Fully developed. A lot of novels have less character growth and world building.
Super powers of different kinds reminded me of X-Men or Steelheart. It's cool reading about awesome things they can do and you never know when new power is going to pop out.
Kidnapping done right. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean the process, I mean about the psychology of the victim. Karina g
Marianne
This one is going to end up on my DNF shelf.
I'm okay with non-con, abduction and slavery in my dark reads, but I don't want it in my dystopian/ UF stories, especially not when Lucas seems destined to become a love interest at some point in the future.

Nope, moving on to better stories.

*Shakes head in disbelief; did I actually say that about an Ilona Andrews story?*

DNF @ 34%
Anna Serene
I'm not sure... I liked it and I have this idea in my head that Ilona Andrews can do no wrong, but I think maybe I will feel differently when it's a fully fleshed out story. Not entirely sure how else to feel about it.
Beth
I loved this novella from Ilona Andrews. It is not based in any of their other worlds, so we get to see a whole new world built by the Urban Fantasy Masters! I adored the story, but I had only one major issue with it... It was too short!!! I need MOOOOOORE!!!!!!

Holly
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novella was too short to fully develop the relationship between Lucas and Karina, but man did I enjoy this! I really don't know how Ilona Andrews does it - they create entire urban fantasy worlds that are so completely believable and yet so absolutely imaginative and unique. I would gladly read more books set in this world if they ever decide to write more of them.
Bonnie
My rating: 2.5 of 5 stars

It redeemed itself at the end a bit but this was still vastly disappointing.
Merve Özcan
Nov 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Yazarın yeni kitaplarını okumalı. O “vay be” etkisi yok bu hikayede.
Lilia Ford
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: urban-paranormal
Though Andrews has written several of my absolute favorite paranormal series, this was mostly a miss for me. The story itself consisted of a huge amount of confusing world-building delivered in long expositional monologues and crammed into an insufficient number of pages. Likewise, while several of the side characters had potential, there was not enough time to develop them properly. Finally, while I'm generally a huge fan of messed-up captive stories, this author is simply not dark and fucked u ...more
Samantha Kane
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ok what to say... Lord what not to say.. This book was fast moving and non stop! I will be tracking down Ilona Andrews to read more I'm praying this book is the start of a whole new series for me to fall in love with...
Diana Prince
I'm being generous. The ending was badass but I'm still miffed about the creep factor and the rapey vibe and yeah. I'll have a full write up later.
Isamlq
May 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
What the...? Have I finally come across an Ilona Andrews story I dislike? Tell me it isn't so!
Bry
Ilona Andrews – one of my favorite authors (writing duo)! Also crazy excited to read anything they write but this one just didn’t do it for me as much all their other books. Although some of that has to be attributed to the fact that I am never much of a fan of novellas – the exceptions typically being Andrews’ novellas!

This one was just a bit too much Stockholm syndrome-ish for me. They do fight against this by giving the main character quite a backbone, and openly discussing it, but…..ick. Ju
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)
  • Waylaid (The Peri Reed Chronicles, #1.5; The Hollows, #13.2)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
  • Once Broken Faith (October Daye, #10)
  • Blood of the Earth (Soulwood, #1)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5; Mercy Thompson World - Complete, #15)
  • Head Above Water (Gemini, #2)
  • Unwanted (Elemental Assassin, #14.5)
  • Trial and Temptation (Mandrake Company, #2)
  • Etched in Bone (The Others, #5)
  • Curran POV Collection
  • Where the Wild Things Bite (Half-Moon Hollow, #5)
  • Hunters
  • Entwined with the Dark (Kindred, # 7)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more