Start by marking “The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox: How We Are Sleeping Our Way to Fatigue, Disease and Unhappiness” as Want to Read:

The #1 Amazon Best Seller
Surprising as it may seem, getting eight hours of sleep is the wrong approach to achieve great health and top performance. Most people with disrupted sleep don't know what they're missing because they've never experienced anything different.

This book will teach you how to achieve your highest quality sleep to become your best, brightest, most
Published October 30th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox

Start your review of The 8-Hour Sleep Paradox: How We Are Sleeping Our Way to Fatigue, Disease and Unhappiness
George Jankovic
Dec 26, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've recently had sleeping problems. So I read two books on sleeping. This one I didn't like. It was basically only about sleep apnea and nothing else.
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I've read blogs more informative than this book. It felt like it was a basic intro to those getting diagnoses of sleep apnea but nothing else. It is so dumbed down it does not even define basic sleep disorders. It was insightful and confirmed my suspicion that I need to push for polysomnograph but it left me wanting to learn so much more. Also print quality was so poor could not read footnotes of medical citations, and app recomendad is no longer available. Most useful info is alternative ...more
Susan Sigourney
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a must-read for anyone who is sleep deprived, grinds their teeth, wakes up at night to use the bathroom, frequently takes naps during the day, is forgetful and feels that their brain is in a fog. I am all of these, but never understood why. My doctor finally suggested that I have a sleep study in December 2013, and I did the study in January 2014. The study revealed that I have moderate sleep apnea, and I was supplied a C-Pap machine along with tubing and a full face mask and ...more
Tami Winbush
Oct 03, 2017 rated it liked it
I had the hardest time reading this book. Although the book has information about sleep disorders and how they affect our lives it was quite difficult to read. The footnotes were placed at the end of each page instead of at the end of the book in an appendix. It disrupted the flow of the book and made the book look choppy and disjointed. I appreciate the information that was given to me about the topics covered but I would not read it again and would not recommend it to family or friends.

I
Wilton
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This was initially a very interesting book, but as it wore on, the fact that I was more and more convinced that I did not have any type of sleep disorder, and the fact that the book focused more and more on how to deal with the fact that you have a sleep disorder, made it easy to skip ahead. I'll still use some of the tools, like the sleep monitor. I'm still glad to be informed on how little those arm-worn monitors really do. And it still seems pertinent to know all the ways sleep is beneficial. ...more
Ginae B.
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
On the norm, we do not review older books and while this one isn't terribly old, it was published outside of our normal range. Regardless, if you were to peak a look, you would understand its importance. For instance, did you know that mild sleep apnea isn't an insignificant disorder? Did you know that crowded teeth are problematic for your general health?

Hmmmm.....?

Did you know that snoring is not healthy?

We didn't realize any of this. But, there's more. Hence, the book is just as important and
Lillie
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a very useful book for anyone with sleep issues--and we learn from the book that far more of us than realize it have sleep problems. Even mild sleep apnea can have serious long-term effects, and the author explains the importance of good sleep.

Interestingly, the author is a dentist. I had no idea the state of our mouths had so much to do with the state of our sleep health. I'm recommending this book to a friend who has given up using her CPAP and has no idea there is any alternative. One
Dame
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Just walking along the street and seeing how exhausted most people's faces look tells us there is a sleeping problem out there. Why is everyone so tired? A great part of the reason is they are not sleeping properly and Dr Mark Burhenne says "sleep-disordered breathing is so common now that we don't even know what normal, healthy sleep breathing looks like".
He is a dentist so fully investigates CPAP machines and how to use them, MAD device and their benefits, medical reimbursements etc and so
Hope
May 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Does not discuss Functional Orthodontics to correct the airway and TMD (if present). Only really suggests MAD or CPAP which for many would be helpful but correcting the airway corrects the cause. This should be included.

I was hoping this book would help me understand more about that process. But it didnt. I have found out more about things discussed in this book from two conversations Ive had with my Functional Dentist.

Its still worth a read but not as advanced for me a Id hoped.

Rosa Frei
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Extraordinary new book, covering sleep deprivation and sleep apnea. The book describes why sleep apnea occurs, how dangerous it is for our brain, and how it is the cause of many of our health issues today, like: hypertension, diabetes, obesity, and many more. The author, Mark Burhenne, explains in detail how to get tested, and what the solutions are. A completely new insight into the damage that sleep apnea can cause. This book can give you the knowledge how to improve the quality of your sleep ...more
Claire
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This may be a helpful step to determine whether your issue involves how much sleep you are getting. I do not believe it gets incredibly technical. At least, it is not as technical as I've observed this matter can get with my periodontist allies. I was surprised he didn't mention anything about gum health.

I mean, I saw the pictures, but I didn't see anything direct. I thought it was helpful.
Adan Ramie
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
An informative, interesting read. I had no idea so much went into getting a good night's sleep, or how insidious unhealthy sleep can really be. If you're serious about getting better rest, this is the book for you. At some points it gets repetitive, while others it is academic, but the information is solid.

I received a complimentary copy for my honest review.
Josh
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great book with lots of information Very interesting read about how many people in America have some kind of sleeping disorder.

It didn't apply to me or anyone in my family, but now that I read it I could direct somebody to the appropriate professionals if they did--Dentist? --Go see your physician! Physician. Physician.
Lenora Good
Jun 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shall we dispense with the legalities first? I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. There are many first rate reviews of this book already listed, and I shall try not to duplicate too much of those reviews.

When the chance to read and review this book came across my screen, I jumped at it. I've suffered from insomnia since I first became a mother. (Yes, I think there might be a correlation, and though my kids no longer live at home, I truly wonder if
Eerika
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm awed. I thought that I sleep enough: eight hours on weekdays and even ten on weekends. I've always been a poor sleeper, but I also always blamed the stress or non-perfect sleeping conditions. Because of this book I started recording my nights, and the results have been startling. I'm going to see a dentist next and have a statement from her point of view. And then I'm going to find a sleep specialist.

I've always thought that I just need more discipline, more exercise, perfect diet and
Mark Smith
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Sleep disorders are a big problem that effect us all. In our health care system today we wait until something is wrong before fixing or too late. When you sleep and snore it often is a sign of much larger problems with our health. This book puts the importance of sleep issues into perspective and is a great read!
David Sager
Jul 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sleep well and live

This is by far a most informative and practical book. I recommend this to anyone who knows anyone period. Preventing your decline in health is essential and breathing is the stuff of life. Bravo Dr. Burhenne!
Aaron

• Keep the Aspidistra Flying
  • Finding Water: The Art of Perseverance
  • Painters Quick Reference: Flowers & Blooms
  • The Body: A Guide for Occupants
  • Death by Food Pyramid: How Shoddy Science, Sketchy Politics and Shady Special Interests Have Ruined Our Health
  • The Bruised Reed
  • The Oxygen Advantage: The Simple, Scientifically Proven Breathing Techniques for a Healthier, Slimmer, Faster, and Fitter You
  • The Science of Words (Scientific American Library)
  • The Psychology of Time Travel
  • The Gospel at Work: How Working for King Jesus Gives Purpose and Meaning to Our Jobs
  • Walking Easy: in the Swiss and Austrian Alps
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Game Changers: What Leaders, Innovators, and Mavericks Do to Win at Life
  • The Fowl Twins (The Fowl Twins, #1)
  • Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program Therapist Guide
  • Mastering Your Adult ADHD: A Cognitive-Behavioral Treatment Program Client Workbook
  • Alphabet Squadron (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #1)
  • The Quantum Doctor: A Physicist's Guide to Health and Healing