Start by marking “Elegy/Elk River” as Want to Read:
Elegy/Elk River

Elegy/Elk River

“Elegy/Elk River,” winner of the Floating Bridge Press Chapbook Award for 2015, is a moving, fractured narrative told through multiple perspectives. These lyrical poems spiral through time around one common loss, ultimately asking the reader to examine childhood, memory, and what we think we know of shared experiences.
Published October 20th 2015 by Floating Bridge Press

To ask other readers questions about Elegy/Elk River, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elegy/Elk River

Start your review of Elegy/Elk River
Courtney LeBlanc
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful, dark, tragic collection of poems about a young woman, Alex, who kills herself. Told from the perspective of the narrator, Alex's high school boyfriend, we see sadness and heartbreak in every page. But there are also moments of hope and tenderness which keep this collection from dragging down the reader too much. Overall a gorgeous collection of poems, highly recommend.
Michael
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Few chapbooks pack the punch given us by Michael Schmeltzer in his 14 poem collection titled Elegy/Elk River.

Like any elegy, Elk River is a lamentation for something lost. Certainly Alex, the girl who once showed the narrator her naked chest, beneath the third set of bleachers, behind his old high school, is gone. Schmeltzer’s poetry is lyrical and sad, or at the very least melancholy as an elegy might suggest. He has tried to lasso Alex and pull her back to himself but has finally realized the
C
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry-favorites
4.5 stars.

I'm really quite behind on reviewing the books that I've read recently, but I finished this today and had to make sure that I said some small thing about it.

Michael Schmeltzer is quickly becoming a new favorite of mine. This slim volume cements him in my estimation as a fantastic poem, able to so well blend emotion and intellect. The title poem and A Sound Which Cleaves are both stellar poems, worth the price of admission themselves. Really just incredible.

Schmeltzer is one to watch.
Judith Shadford
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Winner of the Floating Bridge Chapbook contest, nominated for a Pushcart, Michael Schmeltzer deserves every award. The silken shifts in voice, metaphor, perspective stirs the hair on my arms. The paths of memory and pain you have taken, Michael, to transmute aching tragedy into art covers me in silence. Thank you.
Stephanie M. Wytovich
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully raw, Schmeltzer's poems are stark realities of the fantasies we build in our heads to get through the day. His words reflect the hauntingly beautiful song of the forest and the death song that's ever-present, but not always heard.
Kate
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In a word: stunning
Leesa
Sep 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Michael Schmeltzer is one of my favorite poets for heart reasons. So. Much. Heart. (Thumping, beating frantically, breaking, etc.) And also, for reasons human.
Kären