Start by marking “Marketing for Developers” as Want to Read:
Marketing for Developers

Marketing for Developers

"Programming is black and white. Marketing is a world of gray."

Quit looking for that magical growth unicorn. You don't need to win the startup lottery. You can earn a good income from building and launching your own products.

This book will teach you everything you need to get started:

1. How to build something people want
2. The Lean Marketing Stack
3. How to build momentum b
Published October 15th 2015 by Nerd North Inc.

Start your review of Marketing for Developers
Vadim Demedes
Recommends it for: Developers
I've read quite a few books on marketing focused on startups and selling products in general. Almost all of them have the same flaw - they are too abstract. There are no specific directions or guidelines on how to achieve my goals. I've read them, but never opened them up again.

I saw "Marketing for Developers" on Product Hunt and I immediately downloaded a free sample and read it. After reading the sample, I decided to give this book a try and put a pre-order. When it launched, I read the whole
Christopher Hawkins
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have a bias toward action-ability, and this book is highly-actionable. I've suffered through mountains of vague startup/marketing books; this is NOT one of those.

The section on defining your target market ALONE will probably save more would-be founders from launching something nobody wants than the next 100 startup books combined.

Grégoire
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was a (lucky) beta reader of this and I really enjoyed the content.
Very actionable as usual with Justin.

Highly recommended.
Filipe Mendes
Jul 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting book for developers. Most of the tips are very simple but only when you learn about them.
The author also provides use cases and simple tutorials for useful tools that any developer interested in launching a product should know about.
I read this once but I am sure I will read at least twice more.
Ricardo Gomes
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazing resource.
Justin knows his stuff and gives very actionable advice.
I recommend this to any developer (or maker of a digital product) that can't seem to figure out what the marketing "gurus" are talking about.
Corey Maass
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Written clearly, with an emphasis on repeatable, actionable tips and guides. This might actually get me to do the work.
Josh Doody
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great blueprint for finding an audience, determining how you can help them, developing a product to satisfy that need, then marketing and launching that product.
Shen
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
First book I've bought with a dedicated podcast feed!

Justin released an episode per chapter as they were recorded!
Joshua Pitzalis
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fantastic.

Super actionable. Really clear.

Job well done.
Michael
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have seen so many developers (including myself!) who have put in huge numbers of hours building a product only to launch with no sales.

Marketing for Developers should be required reading for any programmer wanting to start a paying side project, raise funding or even just to get more traction for their own personal work. It's incredibly grounded and practical advice on how to get noticed in the crowded marketplace of applications and services and generate real sales.
Min Tran
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Practical guide to launch your products, sans the bullshit!
Mark Horgan
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a developer who spends too little time on marketing I found the practical information in this book very useful. I keep referring back to it to make sure I'm on track for launch day.
Сергей Герасименко
I just got this book, and just started to read, but I'm amazed! And I know how I will spend the next 12 hours
Josh
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Developers
Very well done. A necessary book for any developer who wants to work for themselves.
Max
Mar 30, 2020
Chris Kottom
Mar 12, 2016
Eric
rated it did not like it
Mar 28, 2016
May 09, 2019
What did you achieve after reading the book? 1 1 Feb 21, 2020 10:31AM

• Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • When Coffee & Kale Compete: Become Great at Making Products People Will Buy
  • The Entrepreneurial Bible to Venture Capital: Inside Secrets from the Leaders in the Startup Game
  • Radical Candor: Be a Kickass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity
  • Subscription Marketing: Strategies for Nurturing Customers in a World of Churn
  • The Year Without Pants: WordPress.com and the Future of Work
  • The Jobs To Be Done Playbook: Align Your Markets, Organization, and Strategy Around Customer Needs
  • Intercom on Jobs to be Done
  • The Growth Hacking Book: Most Guarded Growth Marketing Secrets The Silicon Valley Giants Don't Want You To Know
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Better Web Typography for a Better Web
  • THINK STRAIGHT: Change Your Thoughts, Change Your Life
  • The 48 Laws of Power
  • Create or Hate: Successful People Make Things
  • MAKE: Bootstrapper's Handbook
  • Conscious: A Brief Guide to the Fundamental Mystery of the Mind

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Justin Jackson is a Canadian entrepreneur, author, podcaster, public speaker, and YouTuber. He advises software and SaaS companies on growth, marketing, JTBD, and product development.

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...