Start by marking “Spider-Gwen, Vol. 1: Greater Power” as Want to Read:
Spider-Gwen, Vol. 1: Greater Power

Spider-Gwen, Vol. 1: Greater Power

(Spider-Gwen (2015) (Collected Editions) #1)

GWEN STACY IS BACK IN THE WEBS AND HAS AN ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MYSTERY TO SOLVE!

THE SPIDER-WOMAN of Earth-65 was convinced that the Lizard's threat died in her arms along with Peter Parker. But a new reptilian rampage leaves her with doubts not only about Peter's life, but also his death. While her father, Captain George Stacy, struggles with Gwen's double life, troubles
Published May 24th 2016 by Marvel

Start your review of Spider-Gwen, Vol. 1: Greater Power
Alejandro
Spider-Gwen returns!

This TPB edition collects “Spider-Gwen” (Vol.2) #1-6.

Creative Team:

Writer & Co-creator: Jason Latour

Illustrator & Co-creator: Robbie Rodríguez

Additional Illustrator (for issue #5): Chris Visions

A LARGER WORLD

Listen, Cap. Bad puns are funny now, okay? Movies are in color, and breakfast comes in burritos.

Gwen Stacy of Earth-65 is the…

Radioactive Spider-Gwen!!!.

Of, course, nobody at that parallel Earth called her that way (duh!) since her identity is a secret, so
Sean Gibson
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Did I read this solely because Into the Spider-Verse is the best movie I’ve seen in the past year? 1,000% yes.

Solid read, but Spider-Gwen doesn’t pop on the page in this volume as much as she does in the movie, where she’s just fantastic. Still, an interesting twist on the Spidey origin story.

We’ll call it right around 3.5 stars.
Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Can I just say that the best part of this series is that Captain America is a black female in this universe? I am here for that
Calista
I thought this was ok. I felt Vol. 0 was better than this one. This volume seemed to jump around and confuse me a bit. It was throwing info faster than I could connect dots. It was all action and little story in my opinion. I think I like Gwen, but this is a weird tale. What's up with Peter being dead and being the lizard. Everyone is weird. Daredevil is very strange. Why is everyone different. I don't like it.

Also, she somehow hops into another universe. It wasn't even explained how it
James DeSantis
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd honestly give it a 3.5 but since I enjoyed it more than disliked it, I'ma throw up that 4 star.

So why did this work better than volume 0? Easy. It gave us a lot more of the positives I talked about in the first zero volume.

Gwen's interaction with her father, with Cap, with Harry are all well done. The best though is the conversation with Spider-women. She's been in it forever, the marvel universe, and it's nice to see Gwen new to this getting advice. Also the dreaded question, how was Gwen
Malum
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Heavier than Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl, yet lighter than most of Marvel's other main titles, Spider Gwen is the virgin daiquiri of the Marvel universe.

I love the artwork and the use of color, and Gwen is really funny and relatable. I do hope they move on from the "Lizard Peter" and "Gwen is public enemy #1" story lines because, after two volumes of this (counting volume zero), I'm ready to explore other stories for this character.
Paul E. Morph
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
OK, I'll admit it; this book is starting to grow on me.

Don't get me wrong; it still scores higher on grimaces than grins and the dayglo colour scheme gives me a migraine but... I'm gonna give it another chance.
David Schaafsma
Y’all read this three years ago, so just dipped by toes in to catch up on yet another kick-ass girl comics character. This series happens in an alt-universe, on Earth-65 (she was introduced as a character in 1965) where Gwen Stacy, not Peter Parker, was bitten by a radioactive spider. Peter is dead, Gwen both grieving and investigating. This one focuses on her and her Dad, the Lizard, Captain America. I have to say I didn’t have enough background in the Spider-verse to keep up with all the ...more
Chad
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Slightly better than volume 0. This one pretty much drops all interactions with her friends and focuses on her dad and Harry Osborn along with the Lizard and Captain America. My problems with the book is that it moves at a frenetic pace without explaining anything. All of the villains act stereotypically and over the top with no real motivations. S.I.L.K. is just this amorphous organization with no real substance behind it. The series has potential, Latour just needs to look at the real world to ...more
Brandon
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comix, 2018, marvel
Welcome to Earth 65. Things are a little different here.

Bitten by a radioactive spider, Gwen Stacy becomes Spider-Woman. The story picks up following the fallout of the death of Gwen's best friend Peter Parker, who had become the monstrous Lizard - a result of a science experiment gone wrong. Convinced that the threat of the Lizard died alongside Peter, Lizard creatures emerge to prowl through the streets of New York. Enlisting the help of Jessica Drew - this universe's Captain America - can
Sesana
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: superhumans, comics
Even better than the first volume. Gwen is an endlessly appealing character for me, and I loved that this volume did more to flesh out her alternate universe. Probably because it looks like she'll be sticking around, at least for awhile longer. So we get to see her version of Captain America, Samantha Wilson, and her version of Falcon, Samantha's teenage clone. This Cap is very cool, and very worthy of the name. But it's more than just the world building. The story of this world's Peter Parker ...more
Vanessa
Jan 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Some fandoms have such an extensive back catalog, they are daunting for the novice who wants to dive in. What would you tell someone who wants to "start" Star Trek? Sure, they could just dive in with Discovery, but they'll have a deeper appreciation if they watch TOS or parts of TNG*, while DS9 was definitely the best spin-off. And I've looked sideways at Dr. Who I don't know how many times (especially after Imaginary Worlds podcast did a series about it), but it's been on for bajillion years ...more
ashley (saidthestory)
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I felt this graphic didn't flow very well from issue to issue, but also SPIDER GWEN. So...
Lost in Book Land
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Hello Again!

With this graphic novel, I decided to try something a bit different, I have not read any superhero (DC or Marvel) graphic novels in a long time. I saw this one on Hoopla a while back and I was really interested. In the recent animated Spiderman movie, I really loved Spider-Gwen so I decided I would totally give this a try!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Alright, so I knew going into this that it was an alternate universe but beyond that I did not know much (now I want to admit from the start I know a
Nikki
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The second volume of Spider-Gwen takes us further into the different reality of Earth-65 — a world where Matt Murdock is a bad guy, and Tony Stark sells a lot of coffee via his company “Starkbucks”. Oh, and where Gwen Stacy was bitten by the radioactive spider, and Peter Parker was the Lizard. It’s complicated and I think that to know all the little subverted and tweaked bits unique to this universe, you’d need to be a fan of Marvel bigtime. But a basic knowledge of Spider-man canon (like who ...more
Cassie-la
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reads
ORIGINALLY POSTED: http://bibliomantics.com/2016/03/31/m...

Spider-Gwen’s alternate universe — Earth-65 to be more specific — has gotten a lot bigger! Enter Earth-65’s version of Captain America, Samantha Wilson, and her sidekick/male clone Sam 13, AKA Falcon, not to mention Tony Stark’s global coffee chain Stark Bucks. Pregnant Earth-616 Spider-Woman also makes an appearance and she is spectacular.
Erin
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was better than Vol. 0. Maybe because I read Spider-Verse so that I got a little more background and understanding of Gwen, but I don't know. The art is still disappointing throughout this novel and overall, I'm not in love with it. I want to be, but it is lacking something to really make it memorable.
Mike
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was ok
Holy crap does Latour need a better editor. I didn't hardly follow the story jumps in issue 1 - I *think* he was doing a whole bunch of flashback scenes, but hell if I could follow the storylines.

Maybe if there was something resembling caption boxes such as "Last Fall" or "flashback eh?"

Then the story winds its way through the usual teen soap plots - misunderstandings, hormone-driven impulse control issues and lots of angst and inner monologue.

Many 616 characters get the special "what-if" twist.
Désirée
I really enjoy this series, Gwen is great!
Jonathan

More of the same in this volume. Alternate Earth representations of several characters like Harry Osborn and Captain America. Good enough to keep my curiosity piqued for what's next.

Logan
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Good! So the story for this volume, is The Lizard reappears, Spider-Gwen has to track him down, meanwhile Gwen is on Shields wanted list, as a bunch of characters come after her, including Captain America, and Green Goblin! This story was pretty entertaining, but personally I liked Vol 0 more, but this is still a pretty solid volume. As ever its always nice to see alternate versions of characters, and I looked forward to more!
Peace
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
The art in this is really pretty. I really enjoyed spider gwen and lady Captain America. However the story was a little hard to follow and some of the panel layouts were confusing.
Trin
Feb 16, 2019 rated it it was ok
My second attempt to read this series, because I loved Into the Spider-Verse and I love Gwen. But I had exactly the same problem as when I read the introductory volume in 2016: to me, this title is sloppy, childishly plotted and confusingly drawn, and just silly in a way that reminds me of '90s comics. I wouldn't put up with it from a male-led series, and I can't persist with it in this case, not even for Gwen.
Samantha Mielke
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 for me - I liked this one, especially the scenes between Gwen and Harry
Cale
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
The Marvel Dual Reboot strikes again - when I see a Volume 1 of a series, I expect it to be a good starting place for a series, where the characters and story will be set up for a new reader. But this is one of the Vol1B's from Marvel's reboot. And this collection is not new-reader friendly - just note the number of 'as seen in issue...' comments scattered throughout.
The story itself is okay, with Gwen dealing with guilt over killing a villain/friend by trying to be a hero even while she is
Frédéric
Aug 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, spidey
Vol.1 was nice but a bit over the place. Plot and even art were a bit unfocused which gave Gwen a flimsy presence at best.

This is corrected here. The plot is tightened, the art is still good and more legible during action scenes.

New versions of classic characters are introduced: Captain America, Falcon, the Green Goblin- the latter being the focus of the arc and the best developped.

It seems that characters and their interactions are Latour's forte. Gwen's monologues and her reflexions of her
Teresa
May 03, 2017 rated it liked it
In an alternate universe, Gwen Stacy is Spider-Woman. She aims to fight crime, but when Peter Parker becomes the Lizard in hopes of being a powerful hero like Spider-Woman, he goes on a rampage, and Gwen must stop him. With the guilt of Peter's death looming over her, Gwen aims to do good against the evil Kingpin and his lackey, Matt Murdoch. The problem is, everything she does ends up looking like a crime from the police perspective, making her a wanted criminal.

While this was interesting and
Ryan
Jan 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I love the art in Spider-Gwen. I like her as a character too. The story didn't really do it for me though. I got very tired of reading dialogue that would end...like this. That can be a good way to transition but I felt like it was VERY overused. I'll read the next collection. Spider-Women is next? That should be fun. I want to read Spider-Woman too so I can find out how being pregnant while crime fighting works. You're not even supposed to be on a ladder much less climb walls! XD
Ryan
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I could really be happy never leaving this level of the Marvel Multiverse. Samantha Wilson's Cap, Matt Murdock's compromised morals, and Gwen's all-around ass-kickery. Let's just make this place Earth One, shall we?
Logan
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
The art is beautiful. That alone kept me reading past the point where I lost interest in the story.

I also like Spider-Gwen herself, even if the alternative Marvel Universe she inhabits doesn't inspire me.

Haven't decided whether I'll keep reading.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Vol. 3
  • Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Vol. 4
  • Silk, Volume 3: The Clone Conspiracy
  • Spider-Woman: Shifting Gears, Volume 2: Civil War II

Spider-Gwen (2015) (Collected Editions) (7 books)
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 0: Most Wanted?
  • Spider-Gwen, Vol. 2: Weapon of Choice