Start by marking “Waylon: Tales of My Outlaw Dad” as Want to Read:
Waylon: Tales of My Outlaw Dad

Waylon: Tales of My Outlaw Dad

"This book is a terrific tribute, from a son to his father."---Willie Nelson

"I'm so excited about Terry's new book."---Dolly Parton

From the Foreword by Ken Mansfield

"There are many stories about Waylon . . . the family man, the creative genius man, the quiet man, the king-of-the-six-day-roar-man, the uncommon man, the legendary man, the bad-ass man . . . they are all in th
Published April 19th 2016 by Hachette Books

To ask other readers questions about Waylon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Waylon

Start your review of Waylon: Tales of My Outlaw Dad
Gary Anderson
Apr 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terry Jennings, the oldest child of Waylon Jennings, tells what it was like to grow up with his father—the legend, rebel, outlaw, and country music superstar. Nothing here is surprising about how Waylon lived his life; there was no shortage of drugs, wives, or excess. Waylon hired Terry to work as a roadie, so readers get to see Waylon at home, on the road, in the studio, and we see the unconventional ways he handled the role of father.

I saw several Waylon shows in the ‘70s and ‘80s, so Terry’s
Shaun
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of stories about Waylon. Good narration.
Lee Parker
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received a copy of this for free through Goodreads First Reads

This was absolutely fascinating. I've never been a fan of country music, but always had an interest in the outlaw movement. I never knew how complex of a person that Waylon was, and I would definately recommend this for anyone who enjoys biographies or learning about people from pop culture.
PennsyLady (Bev)
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: country-music
Waylon ...Tales Of My Outlaw Father by Terry Jennings

The majority of my musical readings are rock n roll.
But, I was pleased to win a copy of Terry Waylon's tribute to his father.
It was a special privilege to get an honest, loving portrayal
of this trailblazer of "The Outlaw" movement.

I saw Waylon on stage in his heyday.
I knew only vaguely of drug abuse, failed marriages, but saw a powerful stage presence with his wife, Jessi Colter aboard.
At that time, we had to rely on details from magazine, TV
Karen
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received this copy in exchange for an honest review.

I enjoyed this book. I'm familiar with Waylon Jenning's music but I did not know much about the man. This is a sweet memoir about his family.
Day Rusk
Jun 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I hate to sound like one of those individuals who are always talking about “Back in my day” and how back then things were better, but in some cases it is simply the truth. There are a lot of great performers in today’s country music, but they all lack the edge of performers of old and in some cases, their version of country – the new country music – seems to be treading awfully close to that of ‘pop’ music. Now, that’s not that it can’t be appreciated and enjoyed, but to truly appreciate country ...more
Sue
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
SON AND FATHER*WHAT A RIDE

This is a son Terry Jennings, paying tribute to his Father of this earth, Waylon Jennings. If you love your Dad, if you loved Waylon, you will love this tribute. I understand the life he lived, because my Dad was a long distance truck driver. We have a special, some times difficult relationship with our Dads when they work on the road. My Dad was also my hero. This is a book about his HERO. This is a look into the life of a man who lived most kids dream, knowing your Da
Lucas
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
"Tales of My Outlaw Dad" was entertaining, enjoyable and very easy to read. This book would be very easy to breeze through in a day if you have the time. The writing style is very simplistic - very much feels like Terry Jennings is sitting across from you telling you stories about his Dad. While I enjoy the simplistic approach for ease of reading, I felt the book was missing depth in certain areas.

I understand that this is Terry's book, not Waylon's, though I found I didn't get a fully formed vi
Tom Schulte
Apr 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really great musician biography from Waylon's eldest. His backstage pass to the meteoric rise of outlaw country has details of Waylon's prodigious cocaine use, cameos from Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson, and tales of life on the road during a hectic career in the '70s. Jennings inside view is both very forthcoming and unguarded while exuding a true love and respect for his talented and pioneering father from playing bass in The Crickets "The Day the Music Died" to unilaterally lea ...more
Sunnie
Feb 28, 2019 rated it did not like it
As a Waylon Jennings fan from way back, I was really looking forward to reading this book especially after reading the comment from Willie Nelson about it. Well, it didn't take long before they got into drinking & drugging, which saddened me. After a while, I began to be horrified by the amount of drugs that were being used by both Waylon and his son, as well as everyone in both the crew and the band. By the end, I was sickened by the whole thing as it seemed that this was all anyone mentioned i ...more
J L
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book From Terry- He just recently passed and feel this was a great ending to the Waylon Era. Im sure it was not easy being an outlaws son. But in the end he embraced it and loved his father so much. I hope he is with his dad now helping them get their sound straight in heaven. Thank you Terry for your final thoughts and story. A must read for any outlaw country fan. I laughed out loud plenty of times. Great book.
Sam Motes
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Terry Jennings tells the insider story on his dad's meteoric career with a view only he could provide. A roller coaster ride through the years on the road fueled by heavy drug use that built on the talent to make the phenomenon that was Waylon. A great read for the country music fan but also an interesting read on the love of a child for their parent at all costs that reminded me of "Please Be With Me" by Galadrielle Allman about her dad Duane Allman.
Paul
Sep 03, 2017 rated it liked it
The content of this book is pretty interesting, particularly if you were a fan of the Outlaw country movement that Waylon Jennings helped pioneer. There are some great stories about not only the Outlaw movement, but Waylon's early years. The writing style of the book is simultaneously endearing (given it's a son writing about his father) and irritating. It's very matter of fact and almost essay-like. There might be better biographies out there, but not from this perspective. It's a nice read.
Rachel
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not big on country music and didn't know anything about Waylon, but I'm a fan of biographies. I liked seeing the good and the bad. It made Waylon seem more like a person. Terry Jennings made me feel like I was there with them and laugh at his dad's interesting take on life.

I received this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
Derek
Dec 29, 2018 rated it liked it
I am a huge Waylon fan. This book is different from what I usually read. Terry Jennings memoir is mostly a remembrance of parties and cocaine binges as that was what he experienced touring with his father. Terry does tell of the relationship between Jesse and Waylon as he seen it. I think this will complement other books on Waylon and the Outlaws.
Darcy Bellows-Mascorro
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this tribute from a son to his father.
Anton Reiter
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Provided another aspect of Waylon's life. Good read. Terry does talk about his own life a LOT. Which is fine, just be forewarned.
Loni
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
While some of the tales were cringey at times, I enjoyed this book. An honest look at a legendary man.
Jason Sealy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jason by: William Bonecutter
Amazing book! I loved hearing the POV from a son to a father! The stories were honest and amaznig! So many good times and smiles in this book!
Drew Penhale
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
A must read for all fans of real country music
Sue Maryon
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just finished the book. I listened to Waylon Jennings way back when.. This book showed his life through his son. Who did a exclent job writing this book.
Aaron Badgley
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fantastic memoir. A complicated relationship between a father and son. Father just happened to be famous and revolutionized country music. A must read for Waylon fans.
Diana Mielecki
May 07, 2020 rated it did not like it
Learning details of Waylon's atrocious parenting has ruined his music for me to a great extent.
Tara Griffin
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Good stories. Writing style wasn't fluid, but very genuine and heartfelt!
Harold Walters
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Guess what? Ol' Waylon and the b'ys did drugs! There's a shocker.
Sarah Logan-Reynolds
A fun easy read! As a country music fan from Texas, I really enjoyed it. However the sex, drugs & shenanigans didn’t surprise me at all. ...more
Retha Cameron
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been about two weeks since I finished reading Waylon, Tales Of My Outlaw Dad, by Terry Jennings. I had to digest everything I had just read before trying to put a review together. My initial take was that I didn't care for the book. Having been a fan of Waylon's music, this book revealed facts that I really didn't want to accept. Given some time, I now recognize that this book is fairly well written, and from a point of view that's as close to Waylon as you can get. Terry obviously loves hi ...more
Tony Parsons
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My step-mom even though she was part Apache Indian she was country through/through.
Johnny Cash, Waylon Arnold Jennings, Patsy Cline, Tammy Wynette, George Jones, Roy Clark, Elvis Presley, Everly Brothers, saw every one of these musicians with her in Wyoming.

Warning: This book contains extremely graphic adult content, violence, or expletive language &/or uncensored sexually explicit material which is only suitable for mature readers. It may be offensive to some readers.

I did not receive any ty
Lisa Lunney-Boyd
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic.

Review in March 2017 Punk Globe Magazine.
Don Best
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I never knew the history of Waylon Jennings. I listened to some of his music over the years during the 60's and 70's especially (strangely enough we all have, we just don't know it) so I was familiar with his songs including the Outlaw years. This book gives the reader incredible insight into his entire life...music, family and some very personnel thoughts. From a man who was there, his son
Terry Jennings, who dropped out of school in ninth grade to join his dad and the band on the road. It is w

• Waylon: An Autobiography
  • It's a Long Story: My Life
  • Outlaw: Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson and the Renegades of Nashville
  • Breaking the Rules (Troubleshooters, #16)
  • Hunt the Scorpion (SEAL Team Six, #2)
  • Whatever Happened to Peggy Sue?: a Rock 'n Roll Memoir
  • An Outlaw and a Lady: A Memoir of Music, Life with Waylon, and the Faith that Brought Me Home
  • If You Ask Me (And of Course You Won't)
  • Moral Compass
  • Super Attractor: Methods for Manifesting a Life beyond Your Wildest Dreams
  • Who Was Sam Walton?
  • Touched by the Sun: My Friendship with Jackie
  • Lovesick Blues: The Life of Hank Williams
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)