Start by marking “Writing Deep Point Of View: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors (Writer's Craft Book 13)” as Want to Read:

Writing Deep Point Of View: Professional Techniques for Fiction Authors

(Writer's Craft #13)

Do you want to give the readers such a vivid experience that they feel the events of the story are real and they're right there? Do you want them to forget their own world and worries, and live in the main character's head and heart?

The magic wand for achieving this is Deep Point of View.

Readers love it, because it gives them the thrill of becoming a different person. The
Published October 21st 2015

To ask other readers questions about Writing Deep Point Of View, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Deep Point Of View

K. A. Parker
Mar 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Intermediate writers, advanced writers, writers with PoV issues
Recommended to K. by: Destine Williams
Shelves: ref-and-how-to
Trying to count how many books on the craft of writing there are in the market is like trying to count how many sand grains are on the coast of Santa Monica beach. By the time you think you've picked a good one, a whole slew of them comes washing up the shore, and you're back at square one.

A little less than two years ago, I started reading more writing craft books and reviewing them here on Goodreads. And because I've read so many, a lot of them have started to sound the same. But judging a boo
Deborah
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
This is the thirteenth book in Rayne Hall’s Writer’s Craft Book Series, and like the others, it does what it says on the tin.
As an author, writing in deep point of view is a skill you will probably want to master, as it gives readers the most intense experience, allowing them not just to read about characters, but to inhabit their thoughts and emotions; to ‘become’ the character. This depth of identity with a fictional character is what makes the book live in a reader’s mind long after they’ve f
Christie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I definitely picked up a few good tips from this book, and there were several exercises that I'll be trying in order to write with a deep POV. I especially appreciated tips on POV that I hadn't considered refining before, like how certain characters will notice certain details because of their station or life experiences. I will definitely work to incorporate this tip into my writing.

I appreciate Hall's perspective on using situation and mood filters. She gave some great examples on how and why
Christina
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There are a lot of great books out there about specific aspects of writing craft, but this one is exceptionally useful. Hall has a unique gift for explaining concepts clearly and then providing the perfect example to illustrate her point. Before reading this book, I thought I understood deep POV; now I realize I've just scratched the surface.
D.G. Kaye
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great book for writers to enhance writing quality in POV. The explanations used by Hall are detailed and many contain examples of usage and descriptions in short paragraphs, and bonus, a few short stories. A wonderful reference guide by a talented author.
Rosie Amber
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Writing Deep Point of View is a non-fiction guide for writers who want to improve their work.

Rayne Hall explains how using the deep point of view perspective will give readers a more vivid reading experience, making them feel part of the story. They will hopefully get hooked from the start and continue to live inside the character’s head for the duration of the book.

Split into easy read chapters, the book has plenty of examples and simple exercises to try out. I particularly enjoyed the ‘Get Ins
Shelley Stanaway
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent book for those with no knowledge of Point of View. Even if you decide not to take the Point of View of your story deep, it is helpful in showing where you might slip out of the narrator's Point of View. Whether you are experienced with writing or a novice, the book has many tips and ideas that will help you catch the dreaded slipping out of Point of View.

Her suggestions make one think and her examples are clear and concise. Her exercises help you to hone your craft and can be used on a
Koen Wellens
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018, non-fiction
This book is filled with tips and tricks to improve your writing. It doesn’t explain what is better than the other, just what readers expect when going for deep point of view. Hall is good at explaining that this writing style is not the only existing one. Indeed, she provides exercises as well as multiple references to best practices.

Read the full review at my blog.
Sieglinde
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short but to the point. The book contains some great advice and examples, showing how to write in deep point of view and the pitfalls to avoid. Some of these tips and examples illustrate the difference between common novice errors and the correct way to use deep point of view. The book also includes three short stories for further illustration. One to read again and again.
Vanessa
Feb 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best Book on Writing Craft

This is my first read in the Writer’s Craft series and I’ll definitely read more. This is exactly what I was looking for, a course on the craft of writing that includes examples and ideas for applying the different techniques.
Tom
Nov 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This series of books are amazing! They have given me so much more knowledge. If you are a writer, start reading this series; it'll help with everything.
Pavan Shorey
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent read on POV

Deep insight into how to tackle POV with lucid examples, a must for a writer, a new one or established. Thumbs up to the book
Denali
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great in depth look at this subject!
Preethi Venugopala
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favourite one in the series. The examples that explain the techniques make the book a must have for any author.
Deepak Imandi
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting read. There were some brilliant tips about POV here. I wrote 10-15 notes in my Evernote from this book. Must read for budding authors.
Cinda
May 14, 2017 added it
It's quite a fun read. Rayne doesn't waste time rambling on, she just gets to the point and explains with examples. I enjoyed most of her short story examples, which just basically inspired me to want to read one of her novels. She has the gift of painting a story, not just writing one.
Jonathan Fesmire
Jun 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've been writing seriously since my teens, in the 1980s, and of course learned the different types of point of view (POV) authors can use in fiction. Back then, no one was talking about deep POV. In most of the books I read, characters' thoughts were expressed in italics, with the "he thought" attribute.

To my perception, sometime around the turn of the century, professional authors started to experiment with deep POV. Instead of saying "he thought," followed by the literal words the character w
Ona Marae
This was an excellent review of most POV problems that beginning, intermediate and even advanced writers encounter. As promised, it did not slow you down with the basics of craft: if you didn't bring that, you were instructed at the beginning of the book that this book was not for you, unless you were looking specifically for POV problems alone. I was looking for Deep POV and Deep POV I got!

When looking through the thousands of writing book for help specifically on Deep POV, I foudn this one hi
Cara Bristol
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, nonfiction
The nice thing about this book is that it cuts right to the chase and gives you the techniques to use to get into your characters’ heads and make them come alive to readers. If you’ve been told by your editor that your POV is shallow, buy this book now! While the description says this book isn’t for beginners, I disagree. I think beginners will find this a great tool. It didn't offer more than a refresher for me now, but I wish I had had this book years ago when I began writing fiction.
Andrea Cooper
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rayne Hall goes from basic concepts of Deep POV to advanced with fluidity and instruction. I was familiar with Deep POV, but she approaches the subject from different angles and the examples and exercies increased my knowledge.

Don't know what writing book will help readers delve into your character and story? Check out Rayne Hall's latest writing crafting book.
L.S.
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I shall refer to constantly from now on. Filled with great tips, these techniques demonstrate - with clear examples - the art of writing in deep point-of-view. As with others in this series of writing toolkits, the author makes this skill seem achievable and, what's more, enjoyable for writer and reader alike.
Thiago d'Evecque
Jul 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Nada de novo ou muito interessante. Algumas dicas legais sobre backstory, filtros de humor e experiências passadas e descrições mas, no geral, é provável que você já tenha lido a maior parte do conteúdo em outros lugares.
Lori Grace
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another book chock full of honest-to-goodness real information on "what and how" by Rayne Hall. The beginning is a bit slow and, for me, off point but then everything clicks in and the explanations and examples are spot on.

Paul Fleming
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Yet another fantastic guide

Rayne gives us yet another fantastic guide to an element of the craft with many examples throughout.

A fantastic reference for both new and experienced authors alike.
 ★ gwiz ★
As always, good stuff from Rayne Hall's Writer's Craft. Love that her books are now available in hardcopy.
Jazz Feylynn
Anne
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-craft
Another good craft book. I should just put her books on my auto-buy.
P.H. Solomon
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's an excellent book on the various aspects of writing deep point of view. Kudos to the author for sharing this information as well as the rest of this author series.
Mr J M Wright
Nov 08, 2017
Labonbon
Jun 07, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Action, Emotion, Surprise and More (Writing Active Hooks #1)
  • Holly Lisle's Create A Plot Clinic
  • Structuring Your Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Building Strong and Successful Stories
  • Emotion Amplifiers
  • Writing with Emotion, Tension, and Conflict: Techniques for Crafting an Expressive and Compelling Novel
  • The 12 Key Pillars of Novel Construction: Your Blueprint for Building a Strong Story (The Writer's Toolbox Series)
  • Word Painting: A Guide to Writing More Descriptively
  • She Sat He Stood: What Do Your Characters Do While They Talk?
  • MASTER LISTS FOR WRITERS: Thesauruses, Plots, Character Traits, Names, and More
  • Dynamic Characters: How to Create Personalities That Keep Readers Captivated
  • Book in a Month: The Fool-Proof System for Writing a Novel in 30 Days
  • GMC: Goal, Motivation and Conflict: The Building Blocks of Good Fiction
  • The Power of Point of View: Make Your Story Come to Life
  • Conflict and Suspense (Elements of Fiction Writing)
  • The Language Construction Kit
  • Writing the Breakout Novel Workbook: Hands-On Help for Making Your Novel Stand Out and Succeed
  • Show & Tell in a Nutshell: Demonstrated Transitions from Telling to Showing (Writing in a Nutshell Series, #1)
  • How to Write a Great Query Letter: Insider Tips & Techniques for Success
Rayne Hall writes fantasy and horror fiction, some of it quirky, most of it dark. She is the author of over sixty books in different genres and under different pen names, published by twelve publishers in six countries, translated into several languages. Her short stories have been published in magazines, e-zines and anthologies.

After living in Germany, China, Mongolia and Nepal, she has settled i

Writer's Craft (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • Writing Fight Scenes
  • Writing Scary Scenes
  • Why Does My Book Not Sell? 20 Simple Fixes: Indie Publishing Success - Sell More Books (Writer's Craft 9)
  • Writing About Villains
  • The Word-Loss Diet
  • Writing Short Stories to Promote Your Novels (Writer's Craft)
  • Writer's Craft Power Pack 1: 5-Book Bundle
  • Writing about Magic
  • Twitter for Writers: The Author's Guide to Tweeting Success (Writer's Craft Book 8)
  • Writing Dark Stories: How to Write Horror and Other Disturbing Short Stories (Writer's Craft Book 6)
“Each time, you saw, heard and smelled the same place—but the first time you experienced it as yourself (from your Point of View) and the second time, as a fictional character (from that character's PoV).” 0 likes