Start by marking “Be Obsessed or Be Average” as Want to Read:
Be Obsessed or Be Average

Be Obsessed or Be Average

Obsession saved my life and made me a business superstar. What can it do for you?....
Published October 11th 2016 by Portfolio (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Be Obsessed or Be Average, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Obsessed or Be Average

Start your review of Be Obsessed or Be Average
Justin
Nov 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: worst-books
This was dreadful. Maybe the book cover should have given it away but it was recommended by a source I used to trust (not anymore). I imagine the ridiculously high ratings on here and Amazon are a result of his social media spam army. Short on strategies, real-life examples and anything resembling a fresh point of view (all of his "insights" have been covered ad nauseum by Tracy, Robbins, etc.) and long on ra-ra inspirational bull. Being average never felt so good after reading this.
Johnnie
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book repeats itself in every chapter.
Paul Lindholm
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my first time writing a book review so bear with me. I purchased this book a few weeks ago because of the numerous advertisements and people recommending this book to me. I do have to say that I do get sick of reading the same self - help books over and over again because they all say the same thing. Work hard, give it your all and put in 120% effort. Below I am going to list a few different concepts that struck chords with me and discuss them. At the end I will rate the book out of ten. ...more
Dan
May 24, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wanted to like this book, and I think I agree with the high level ideas.

The problem with this book is the writing. It is painful. He comes off as cocky and self-adsorbed, and yet the writing is still bland. Couldn't make it past the first couple chapters.
Ted Alling
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Listened to it Audible.. If you want to win in life, LISTEN. He is insane and I love it.
Travis
Apr 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is the most annoying book I have ever read.
Kirollos
Apr 04, 2017 rated it did not like it
Worst book I've read in my entire life.
Ali Al-Busaidi
Dec 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Given those two options and how he defines each in this book, I'd rather be average, thanks. While I'm sure his philosophy might work for some, I thought much of the advice he gives can drive people to delusions of grandeur and destructively obsessive behaviors.
Marcus Österberg
Dec 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
Sigh, yet another book where a sucessfull person think they found the formula for everyone to become rich and happy in life.
Ryan
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: worst-of-2019
Clearly, this is a man who has transcended the need to live within the trivial realm of mere mortals. For when one has ascended to true godhood as Grant Cardone has, he only descends from his ethereal realm, atop one of his $50,000,000 Gulfstream 550 jet engines when something extraordinary is taking place, or when he wants to force Scientology onto his clients.

So with this in mind, imagine if you will, a scene:

You're at a very loud bar.
Sitting, relaxing, decompressing from a hard day's work.
April
Oct 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I really enjoyed Grant's book, The 10X Rule, so I couldn't wait to get my hands on his new release. I found his other book more inspiring and motivating. This book seemed a bit preachy and Grant came across as arrogant. I still enjoyed this book and I'm glad that I read it. It just wasn't as good for me as The 10X Rule and recommend that one if you're trying to decide between the two.
Sotiris Makrygiannis
Sep 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: internet, audio-book
I dont usually like those modern self-motivation books but this one has something. The first 30% is rather good, passionate story, then becomes a bible for how to rant at the office. Anyway was good and very straight to the point.
Ben Azadi
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just finished this brilliant book for the 14th time in 14 months. I've been a fan of Grant Cardone's obsessive nature for several years now; but it wasn't until the last two years that I become obsessed with success; during this period I dove in head first, into all of his books and audio programs. When I say all of his books, I mean every single one; multiple times at that. Needless to say I was excited about #BOBA aka Be Obsessed Or Be Average. This book picked up where The 10X Rule left off ...more
Taylor Church
Nov 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I do not read a lot of these business/self-help/motivational books, the type of books that non-readers swear by. But I love Grant Cardone. His energy, and enthusiasm is infectious, and though little of what he says is mind-altering novelty, it's good reminders that are packaged in an enjoyable way that doesn't make you feel like you are in a humid seminar room at a hotel downtown.

This book reminds you that your dreams don't just happen, they are spawned out of the obsessions you create. It also
Alex Devero
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best books I've read this year. Grant it very straightforward. The concept of this book is that obsession is not a bad thing. You have to be obsessed with the right things. In this book, Grant will give you the permission to be obsessed. Not only that. Grant will give you a number of reasons why you have to become obsessed in order to succeed. Book also offers tips on dealing the haters, the naysayers and other average people. This book opened my eyes.

I recommend this to anyone and
Khawlah Alsalem
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Be obsessed or be average, I think the book title says it all. Grant Cardone is an insane business man and absolutely a charismatic character whose obsessed with his business. His purpose is to motivate others to stay obsessed. The concept of this book is to energetically outline the importance of allowing yourself to be obsessed and that obsession is not a bad thing, you just have to be obsessed with the right things. Grant is giving reasons why one should be obsessed in order to succeed and ...more
Tao Lee
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I often go back to this book for sales. Very grateful for this book and discovering Mark Cardone.

Note to self: Always be obsessed about a goal. If an Apple gets cut and doesn't get eaten - it turns brown. It has wasted it's purpose and ability. Keep finding the future. Feed the beast! Starve the doubt. Never take a day off. Adios, bc I'm obsessed and you're not. You are a threat to average people. "If half the world hates me, I'd be president of America by now." Stay dangerous - eat fear.

Omar Daoudi
Mar 25, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lost-interest
I disagree with the book ideas and philosophy of life. I thought it was about other things than proposed.
The book talks about workaholic and eager to success, which is not bad, but it does come with a price. I believe life should be a balance of working not too hard and family time or own hobby time, I mean if you work all the day and even win millions, you wouldnt have time to enjoy it.
This is my personal view and it just dont get along with the author view of life.
Tiago Soares
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
The book has a great message, but maybe it is a bit too much of fillers and gets repetitive sometimes.

But hey, Grant has a point and he. clearly wants to make sure you understand that!

I found valuable more the latter chapters.

If you want something from Grant, go for his 10x Rule. That is gold.
Angelique Delorme
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. So many ah ha moments. Already started implementing. Wrote down a tone of notes ❤ ...more
ScienceOfSuccess
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: waiting, 2020-reread
Great follow up to 10X rule!
Boni Aditya
Mar 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Sales are the lifeblood of the organization. This book is a guide to how a sales man should live his life, what he should aim for and what he should not!

There is no mention of innovation. The more you sell the more you make! He assumes that growth is directly proportional to the persistent effort but he fails to understand that growth can be exponentially proportional to the effort. The thought that the greater you sell, the greater profit you make is convectional - this would only make you a
Jason Green
Jun 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
I will start by stating that I have read/listened to other Cardone books (10X Rule, Sell or Be Sold). I do not like Grant Cardone. He may be a wonderful man, but I do not like his style or his philosophies. I agree with the sentiment that those who are "obsessed" with success will likely do far better than those who are not. If the average salesperson is making 20 calls a day and I make 100 calls a day, I'll likely do better. Grant asks a question like, "Are you doing things that you don't need ...more
Christa
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

What I Liked:
- Cardone has a relatable past that makes me want to listen to him more.
- He's a true success story as he actually has the money to show that his methods work.
- He gives fair advice about how you have to be 10 cuts above average if you want to have an above average income, that's just how it is, including working on your career instead of Netflix binging. Cardone says uncomfortable truths but they're necessary. If you don't want to be average, you can't do
Costantine Plassaras
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: marketing-sales
It's a great book mostly for motivational purposes, but without hokus pokus advice. Grant makes a great job explaining why it's important to be the captain of your ship and why you should ignore most of the "feedback" from mediocre people, even if those are friends and family.

I can only warn you that he is workaholic and may resent the idea of Tim Ferriss's 4-hour workweek for some of you, but I think the best way to approach his message is to take the good ones and combine them with other good
Sandra Heinzman
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent listen! I bought the book as well, to reread and highlight it!
Keshav Bhatt
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Grant Cardone energetically outlines the importance of allowing yourself to be obsessed & true to the ambitions you have. It's full of both aspirational punchy motivation & practical ideas/principles on how to reach above the benchmark we are conditioned to. Out of the 3 books of his I've read, this one felt the most complete.

Here are some of my favourite ideas & insights:

* Your potential expands as you grow

* Be obsessed and ignore the deniers. Don't settle for less.
Кирил А.
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this was the first time I got introduced to Grant Cardone's work but not the last. The book was definitely an interesting listen for me even though I am coming from an IT background and Grant Cardone is a salesperson.

When you go through tough times in childhood like poverty and scarcity your mentality changes, you become tougher. This is one of the reasons why it is difficult to connect with people that lived their childhood in abundance and got spoiled.

The people you start hanging out
Mr_bhule M
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book
Matt Leiv
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
"I will judge myself less for coming up short than never going for it."
Everyone loves a good success story. This one's about a failing drug addict to now hecta millionaire (100M$) and growing. A different take on motivation and success, it's about becoming obsessed with whatever you want to be successful in, and going all in on it.
He was told like most of us growing up; don't work too hard, find balance, take time off, REST (blah), and found he didn't start achieving success until he became
Good or Bad 2 9 Jun 26, 2018 03:49AM

• The 5 Elements of Effective Thinking
  • Build an Empire: How to have it All
  • The Power of Ambition
  • Solving the Procrastination Puzzle: A Concise Guide to Strategies for Change
  • Way of the Wolf: Become a Master Closer with Straight Line Selling
  • Relentless: From Good to Great to Unstoppable
  • Crushing It!: How Great Entrepreneurs Build Their Business and Influence—and How You Can, Too
  • Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
  • No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline
  • The Compound Effect: Jumpstart Your Income, Your Life, Your Success
  • Crush It!: Why Now Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion
  • Higher Status: The New Science of Success and Achievement
  • Millionaire Success Habits: The Gateway To Wealth & Prosperity
  • Man Up: How to Cut the Bullsh!t and Kick @ss in Business (and in Life)
  • The Millionaire Fastlane: Crack the Code to Wealth and Live Rich for a Lifetime!
  • Think and Grow Rich
  • F.U. Money: Make As Much Money As You Want And Live Your Life As You Damn Well Please!
  • The Power of Broke: How Empty Pockets, a Tight Budget, and a Hunger for Success Can Become Your Greatest Competitive Advantage
I am a NY Times Best Selling Author, internationally-recognized Sales Training Expert, Business Coach, and the Founder and CEO of 3 businesses: Cardone Training Technologies, Cardone Group, and Twin Capital Management. You may have seen me as the star and co-executive producer of a show, called TurnAround King.

In addition to speaking internationally to individuals, companies, and industry leaders

News & Interviews

“GET BEYOND THE ONE-MAN SHOW Great organizations are never one-man operations. There are 22 million licensed small businesses in America that have no employees. Forbes suggests 75 percent of all businesses operate with one person. And the average income of those companies is a sad $44,000. That’s not a business—that’s torture. That is a prison where you are both the warden and the prisoner. What makes a person start a business and then be the only person who works there? Are they committed to staying small? Or maybe an entrepreneur decides that because the talent pool is so poor, they can’t hire anyone who can do it as well as them, and they give up. My guess is the latter: Most people have just given up and said, “It’s easier if I just do it myself.” I know, because that’s what I did—and it was suicidal. Because my business was totally dependent on me and only me, I was barely able to survive, much less grow, for the first ten years. Instead I contracted another company to promote my seminars. When I hired just one person to assist me out of my home office, I thought I was so smart: Keep it small. Keep expenses low. Run a tight ship. Bigger isn’t always better. These were the things I told myself to justify not growing my business. I did this for years and even bragged about how well I was doing on my own. Then I started a second company with a partner, a consulting business that ran parallel to my seminar business. This consulting business quickly grew bigger than my first business because my partner hired people to work for us. But even then I resisted bringing other people into the company because I had this idea that I didn’t want the headaches and costs that come with managing people. My margins were monster when I had no employees, but I could never grow my revenue line without killing myself, and I have since learned that is where all my attention and effort should have gone. But with the efforts of one person and one contracted marketing company, I could expand only so much. I know that a lot of speakers and business gurus run their companies as one-man shows. Which means that while they are giving advice to others about how to grow a business, they may have never grown one themselves! Their one-man show is simply a guy or gal going out, collecting a fee, selling time and a few books. And when they are out speaking, the business terminates all activity. I started studying other people and companies that had made it big and discovered they all had lots of employees. The reality is you cannot have a great business if it’s just you. You need to add other people. If you don’t believe me, try to name one truly great business that is successful, ongoing, viable, and growing that doesn’t have many people making it happen. Good luck. Businesses are made of people, not just machines, automations, and technology. You need people around you to implement programs, to add passion to the technology, to serve customers, and ultimately to get you where you want to go. Consider the behemoth online company Amazon: It has more than 220,000 employees. Apple has more than 100,000; Microsoft has around the same number. Ernst & Young has more than 200,000 people. Apple calls the employees working in its stores “Geniuses.” Don’t you want to hire employees deserving of that title too? Think of how powerful they could make your business.” 2 likes