Start by marking “Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice, #2)” as Want to Read:
Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice, #2)

Red Queen

(The Chronicles of Alice #2)

The author of Alice takes readers back down the rabbit hole to a dark, twisted, and fascinating world based on the works of Lewis Carroll...

The land outside of the Old City was supposed to be green, lush, hopeful. A place where Alice could finally rest, no longer the plaything of the Rabbit, the pawn of Cheshire, or the prey of the Jabberwocky. But the verdant fields are
Published July 12th 2016 by Ace

Start your review of Red Queen (The Chronicles of Alice, #2)
Lola
First book : Alice

2.5 stars. Red Queen is the second book in The Chronicles of Alice series.

Honestly though, it nearly felt like I was reading a whole new story, not a continuation. I wanted to, but could not welcome the changes with open arms and a genuine smile, b/c Alice is an impressive dark fairytale and I could not wait to start the sequel.

But there are some huge differences.

More romance

A great relief washed over her then, because Alice was a little mad and much sadder than before and
Charlotte May
Pre review:
I enjoyed book 1, it was violent as hell and twisted but entertaining. Intrigued to see where book 2 leads.

3.5

“The world gobbles us and chews us and swallows us…I think happy endings must be accidents…But we hope for them all the same.”

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!

Hm, this was ok. It was enjoyable, I wasn’t bored. But I just couldn’t see enough of a comparison with the original Alice duology by Lewis Carroll to warrant calling this a retelling. There are so many new parts introduced
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I got it why this book had so many mixed reviews. At some parts I got disappointed, too. I wanted to see team Alcher continue to their bloody journey, fight against the obstacles, kick the White Queen’s ass but guess what? Something happened to Hatcher and Alice was all alone throughout the journey.
Unfortunately her new and crucial obligation was saving Hatcher.

At some parts I was really confused and I asked myself did somebody kidnap the author and write some parts while the author was
Sh3lly
Alice:

I'm not exactly sure how I feel about this one, but definitely not as good as Alice. For most of the story, I found myself realizing that not much was happening, but I was still mostly engaged. Alice and Hatcher have left the City and are trying to find his long-lost daughter, Jenny.

They enter a woods which is enchanted by the White Queen and her henchman, the Goblin. Hatcher runs off and is spelled to become a wolf by the White Queen. So Alice is left alone, wandering around. There is a
Nastassja

Actual rating: 3.7 stars

“What about Alice? Did she have a happy ending?”

That's what you'll have to find out after reading this book. But let's think for a moment what are happy endings for the books like this one?
“The world gobbles us and chews us and swallows us,” Hatcher said, in that uncanny way he had of reading her thoughts. “I think happy endings must be accidents.”

Nenia ⚡ Aspiring Evil Overlord ⚡ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

ALICE was an unexpected but pleasant surprise for me. I don't read a lot of fantasy and I'm picky about retellings - unless they bring something new to the table, I don't really see the point in them. But ALICE was a dark, alien retelling of a familiar story, about a dystopian world run by sadistic crime lords, where magic is outlawed, and everyone fears for their lives - and sanity.

Translation: awesome

ALICE was a four star read that came
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I don't know. I just didn't like this one as much as the first one. I still liked it and I loved some of the new characters and the end game, but something was just off. I guess it dragged for me so much in the beginning. I can't really tell you.

There is no darkness in this book as there was in the first one. Alice and Hatcher are going along and along and along. They are going to the mountains to see if Hatcher's daughter Jenny is there. They run into some unusual things along the way, as you
Katie.dorny
Jul 13, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
This is a lot closer to 3.5 stars for me. But still better than the first!!
We pick up right where the first book left off - Alice and the Hatcher are trying to find peace and freedom after the turmoil of the first book. Unfortunately they find neither.
The white Queen rules beyond the wall of the city; and her magic is far more powerful than those of the last surviving magicians.
Only Alice has managed to survive long enough to be a threat, and only she has the magic to overcome the Queen.
There
Ellen Gail
Feb 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, horror
Important Update: Please enjoy this slightly blurry picture of me (far left, if you can't guess) in my Queen of Hearts Halloween costume circa 1996 or 97. Please also note it was not Halloween - I just liked my costume.

Let's get right to it. Is Red Queen as good as Alice? Personally, no I don't think so. Is it a good book? Certainly.

Now that we have answered all the important questions, let's get going! Mild spoilers for Alice and Red Queen to follow.

He ripped out its insides and the bones
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
"The world gobbles us and chews us and swallows us," Hatcher said, in that uncanny way he had of reading her thoughts. "I think happy endings must be accidents."
"But we hope for them all the same," Alice said. She looked sadly at the remains of those hopeful faces.
Above all, we hope not to die in terror.

description

I finally finished the second and last book in The Chronicles of Alice series. I took me more than two months to finish it. It's a good book. It's just that it's less thrilling than the first
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/07/14/...

Red Queen is the sequel to Alice, Christina Henry’s dark and twisted novel reimagining of the characters and worlds of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. Considered to be both a retelling as well as a continuation, the first book impressed me with its portrayal of a whole different side of Lewis Carroll’s classic, and I’m pleased to report this follow-up is a very worthy conclusion to The Chronicles of Alice duology.

After
Aditi
“We're all mad here.”

----Lewis Carroll

Christina Henry, a national bestselling author, pens her latest book, Red Queen, sequel to her duology of The Chronicles of Alice which is a creepy retake on the Lewis Carroll's popular book, Alice in Wonderland . Alice's journey continues along with her only friend, Hatcher, after escaping from the horrifying clutches of an equally creepy mental institute but more challenges await Alice and Hatcher, once they step out of the city, and somehow Alice must
Natalie Monroe
"This is rather like a game of chess, isn't it? A White Queen and a Black King and all the little pieces--me and Hatcher and the children from the village--moving in between, trying not to get swiped."

At the time of writing this review, there are only two books in this series, which is really worrying because Red Queen feels incomplete.

We meet up with Alice and Hatcher again as they hunt for his daughter Jenny, but through a series of events, they're separated in an enchanted forest of sorts
Krystal
Not quite as gripping as the first book, but an entertaining read all the same.

I really enjoy the way it's written like a child's story but is full of blood and violence and monsters and death. The whole way through Alice is such a breath of fresh air - she's the same, no-nonsense girl we know from her first creation by Lewis Carroll, but this time she's getting frustrated with goblins and giants and evil, spiteful queens. Honestly, the bother of it all.

The quest here is a little more vague, as
Heidi The Reader
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Though it lacked the grittiness and extreme horror of Alice, Red Queen is a fantastic second effort by Henry. We're reintroduced to Alice and Hatcher as they escape the City and make their way into the wilderness, on a hunt for Hatcher's long lost daughter, Jenny. Magic, danger, and monsters wait on the path ahead, but those things are nothing compared to what Alice and Hatcher bring with them in their own damaged and twisted minds.

Cheshire, one of my favorite characters, gives a quick summary
Candace Robinson
Apr 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't sure what to expect in this sequel, but what I got was something I didn't think I wanted or needed. But oh, how I did!

What I loved about this one was that it was a lot different than the first book! It took a different route, the way I feel like a place like Wonderland truly would. I loved Alice, loved Hatcher, and loved this story! There was wonderful character growth for Alice, and I feel like she very much discovered herself!

There was magic, and reveals, and emotions, and horrifying
fablesandwren
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 02-stars, not-shelved
WrensReads Review:

I honestly don't know what to say about this book.

The writing was really well done just like Alice. The two main characters, Alice and Hatcher, were pretty much the same as they were in Alice.

But the story itself was vastly different.

I just didn't get the gory, haunting feeling I got from the first book. Why didn't my skin crawl as much as their adventure in The City? Wasn't the Forest/Village/Queen's Castle suppose to be an upgrade from the last book via creepy? Because I
Estefani
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
3 Stars

I'm really conflicted, guys.
Gloria Arthur
***3.5 STARS***

The Red Queen is the sequel to Alice, but it has a different feel to it.

It’s not as dark, horrific and hair-raising as the first book. There are a few surprising twists and I found it an enjoyable read but more of a Young Adults read.

Many of the characters in this sequel were recognisable from the first book, so you could relate to them and it made the story easy to follow. As in the first book I particularly love Alice’s character, she is a true heroine.

I did find it
Christopher
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
As with all sequels, prequels, sidequels, interquels, and hemidemisemiquels, I'm not going to be talking about this book on its own merits. I'm going to be talking about if you will like this book, assuming you enjoyed the previous book and are looking for more.

Though you've already seen the star rating and know the answer is 'eh, maybe not.. it's good, not great.'

I'll keep this short because it mostly comes down to one thing. Horror. Now, if you read my review of Alice, you'll know I don't
Anne
I waited a long, long time to read this book and I think that may have colored my expectations a bit, but if I'm trying really hard to be objective, this is a good read. But it honestly can't compare to its predecessor, Alice.

One of the things that made Alice so compelling was the interaction of the characters, especially Hatcher and Alice. There isn't a whole lot of that going on in Red Queen, and I missed it. The new characters are interesting, but their backstories are sad and seem
Charlie
1/5 Stars

Buddy read with friends Nermin and Argona

Do you know? I honestly really looking forward to reading this. I read the first book at the recommendation of my friend Argona, whom I buddy read with with both books now and hands on heart I absolutely loved the first book. I loved the horror, the mystery, the relationship between Alice and Hatcher, the journey they went on, the unbelievable horrors and goriness of what happened to the other characters in the book that I could not wait to lay
Marlene Ezell
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is a followup to Christina Henry's Alice. I enjoy rewrites of fairy tales very much and this was no exception. Alice and Hatcher are characters that stay with you. I highly recommend this book for people who like a different twist on Alice In Wonderland.
Beth The Vampire
Alice thought she heard a voice, very far away, almost like an echo of a memory in the far distant past, or maybe something that was only imagined.
Off…with…her…head.

The Chronicles of Alice is a (very) dark retelling of the classic tale of Alice in Wonderland. Only Alice is an escaped mental patient, who has never quite been the same since being tortured and raped at the hand of the Rabbit. With the help of her only friend, Hatcher, the madman who escaped the asylum with her, she retraces her
Elena Salvatore
“But we hope for them all the same,” Alice said. She looked sadly at the remains of those hopeful faces. Above all, we hope not to die in terror.”

description

After defeating the Jabberwocky, the only thing Alice wants is to go home. But there is no home for her and she promised Hatcher to go find his daughter.
So they go on another journey. A
Fleur (FranklyBooks)
( 3.5 ) I've always been a lover of retellings, but while I enjoyed this, I didn't necessarily love it. Which was a surprise considering how much I adored the first book.

I think the issue is that the first book was much more based in real life. It sounds funny when I say that considering with how it dealt with magicians and talking rabbits, but the message behind some of the things that happened, were important. However much altered it was, the storyline still did manage to show some resemblance
Kayla
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
So a person on goodreads was reading the first book in this series and it clicked to me I've read it and never completed the second book so I searched for this book and decided to read it.
It wasn't as good as the first book, not gonna lie but it was still dark and very weird.
Amina
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
She didn’t have to be Cheshire’s ideal of a Magician or Hatcher’s ideal of a lover or her parents’ ideal of a daughter. She could be Alice.

First of all, did I like Red Queen as much as Alice? NO
Now, did I enjoy Red Queen as a book? YES

After escaping the asylum and defeating the Jabberwocky, Alice and Hatcher left the Old City, promised green lands, blue skies and hope once out of the walls, they find none, every single inch of these lands has been turned to ash. As Alice and her companion
Kathy - Books & Munches
If I remember correctly, the thing that annoyed me in this novel is the exact same thing I had issues with while reading Alice and that's.. simply.. the lack of chapters. There's a part one and a part two, that's it. Some white space? Well, let's just say you could wait fifty pages for one blank line.

I hate when that happens because the thing that motivates me to read "just that little bit more" is putting my bookmark at the start of the next chapter and.. well.. that wasn't possible, was it?

On

• Pan's Labyrinth: The Labyrinth of the Faun
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Snow, Glass, Apples
  • Wakenhyrst
  • Midnight in the Graveyard
  • Mirror, Mirror (Twisted Tales #6)
  • El códice de las brujas
  • Black Wolf (Natalya Ivanova Thriller #2)
  • Westward Weird
  • The Twisted Ones
  • The Starless Sea
  • Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1)
  • They're Poets and They Know It! A Collection of 30 Timeless Poems
  • The Wanderers
  • Dangerous Pleasures (The Channel #4)
  • Repo Virtual
  • The Pack (The Wanderers, #2)
  • After Alice
CHRISTINA HENRY is the author of the CHRONICLES OF ALICE duology, ALICE and RED QUEEN, a dark and twisted take on Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland, as well as LOST BOY: THE TRUE STORY OF CAPTAIN HOOK, an origin story of Captain Hook from Peter Pan.

She is also the author of the national bestselling BLACK WINGS series (BLACK WINGS, BLACK NIGHT, BLACK HOWL, BLACK LAMENT, BLACK CITY, BLACK HEART and

The Chronicles of Alice (2 books)
  • Alice (The Chronicles of Alice, #1)
11 likes
“There were monsters in the night but there were monsters in the day too, and monsters inside people who smiled and showed you all their teeth like they were nice. There were monsters inside Alice, but they only had power if she gave it to them, and other things had power too, like the laughter of children enjoying a picnic together and like the love she had for this terrible, wonderful, imperfect man, this man who hid inside the body of a wolf because he thought that was where he belonged.” 10 likes