Start by marking “Nine Women, One Dress” as Want to Read:
Nine Women, One Dress

Nine Women, One Dress

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  9,870 ratings  ·  1,791 reviews
A charming, hilarious, irresistible romp of a novel that brings together nine unrelated women, each touched by the same little black dress that weaves through their lives, bringing a little magic with it.

Natalie is a Bloomingdale’s salesgirl mooning over her lawyer ex-boyfriend who’s engaged to someone else after just two months. Felicia has been quietly in love with her h
Published July 12th 2016 by Doubleday (first published May 1st 2016)

·  9,870 ratings  ·  1,791 reviews

Paromjit
Nov 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a lovely and disarming festive read with a strong sense of location in New York City. It is an ensemble piece that revolves around the fashion industry's 'must have' little black dress. You can understand why this concept and this story works so well, I and almost all of my women friends, have had such a dress throughout the years. It is our 'go to' dress for so many events, it looks good and, more to the point, is just how great it makes us feel. We wear it until it disintegrates and we ...more
Carol
Aug 17, 2016 added it
The Hook This collection of interconnected stories drew me in with its premise of nine women each coveting this little black dress, size small.

The Line The Epigraph
"What is important in a dress is the woman who is wearing it."
-Yves Saint Laurent

The Sinker It's summertime and this was a delightful, easy read. Love how the author connected the stories with the life and journey of the little black dress. Starting on the runway, moving next to the story of Morris Siege, Garment Center Pattern-Maker,
Wendy'sThoughts
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Romance
4.5 All Meant to Be Stars
* * * * 1/2

We all have had the feeling at one time or another that if A. hadn't happened to us, then B. wouldn't have either.... and when you think about it...it is hard to deny the truth in these feelings or thoughts. To have novels out there about how one thing impacts so many others, is nothing new...
And when picking up this book, I thought it would be a lovely diversion but nothing seriously impactful.

I was wrong.

Yes, this is a premise of a dress and how it works its
♡ Kim ♡
Apr 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Quick, easy, fun - a perfect summer read!
Bam
#2016-aty-reading-challenge--week-18: A book on a summer/beach reading list.
#Doubleday-Keep-Turning-Pages-group-read: May

What a fun book! Charming, witty, warm-hearted and delightful. I hope it's on everyone's summer/beach reading list this year.

The story revolves around one little black dress...THE dress of the season...and the people whose lives are affected by its magic...from the elderly pattern maker who creates it, to the young model on the runway, to the Bloomingdales staff who sell it, t
Brandice
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really liked Nine Women, One Dress. It was a light, entertaining read with many relatable characters. As a fashion-lover myself, I could easily relate to the characters' love of the dress and their feelings when finding a dress that is a game-changer :). When you look better, you feel better.

Nine Women, One Dress was a cute, easy read with many modern references that I enjoyed.
Evie
Apr 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is the BEST book I've read in years. It's fantastic!

It's the perfect summer read. I promise.

It's written in first POV, and it's not your regular romance story. There are several protagonists, each with their own story and all are somehow connected to the "little black dress" of the season. Each character is unique in their own way and super funny. There were times I couldn't stop laughing, as there were other times when it had me at "aaw".

This story reminds me of my favorite Spanish TV seri
Obsidian
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Yikes. I went in liking the idea behind following nine women who are all tied to the same small Little Black Dress (LBD) but after a few chapters there were way too many people to track. The book included following some men as well which made things doubly confusing. And after a while it just felt like we got a few short paragraphs per chapter and would skip ahead to someone else.

I was hoping more for a book set up like the The Secret Lives of Dresses.

I wish that I could pick out one character
Desiree Brown
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was a really good find! I loved each of the stories and how they intertwined around 1 dress. I was rooting for all the characters and loved how each got their happily ever after. At times I laughed out loud and others, I couldn't contain my smile. The story actually sucked me in and there were times I couldn't put it down. I haven't had that feeling in a while. Loved it!

There was only one story that I wish could have expanded more or gotten a better ending. It actually made me kind of
AdiTurbo
Jun 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Very cute, but a little too much fluff and not enough substance for me. It is an enjoyable romantic-comedy of errors, written from the many different POVs of the many different characters in it, all connected by one fabulous LBD. It is well done, and I liked some of the characters, but I didn't really care what happened, because none of it is really important. A good novel for its genre, I guess, but this genre is not one of my favorites.
Meredith
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This is a great book to get lost in! Filled with stories that revolve around friendship, romance, family, and especially hope, it will make you laugh, cry, and smile.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Lesa
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Charming. Delightful. A perfect read for a weekend day. I can't say enough about Jane L. Rosen's Nine Women, One Dress. It may be the little black dress of books. I can't wait to share it with a friend.

The last dress Morris Siegel cut the pattern for before his retirement at almost ninety was a little black dress. And, he just had a feeling this was going to be the dress of the year, the one everyone wanted to own. It was a dress to make every woman feel gorgeous. From the day Morris cast his lo
Dayle (the literary llama)
QUICK NOTES: Oh my goodness, I really enjoyed this book! it's just like the interweaving anthologies of Love Actually, Valentines Day, He's Just Not That Into You... very sweet book. You meet several women, as well as a slew of diverse and entertaining supporting characters, who in some way chronicle a single "it dress" as it makes it's rounds of nine women.

Some of the stories are sweet, some are dramatic, and some are hilarious. And even though the stories may be separate, they all find common
Beth Gangloff
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I just finished listening to this CD book and it was so wonderfully funny. I hated for it to end. If you don't have time to read it, utilize your local library.
Donna
Dec 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars...but do I round up or down is the question.

This book is contemporary Women's fiction. I don't spend a lot of time in this genre, but I enjoyed this book. It's about how 9 different women from different walks of life, meet up with this one little black dress. This dress definitely gets around. I liked the different vignettes and how this dress served as a catalyst in altering lives.

Even though this was predictable and sweet, I think I'll round up, because it was a fluffy read when I n
Lorrea - WhatChaReadin'?
Every woman needs a LBD(Little Black Dress). This book tells the story of one such dress. You get to follow the life of the dress at it is born until it meets it's demise. Max Hammer is the designer. Along the way, we meet the dressmaker, the runway model who first shows the dress to the world and the other women who have come in contact with the dress and the way it has affected their lives. The dress of the season has made it's way around New York City and the world.

I listened to this book ove
Basia
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
2 1/2, I think. I'm honestly not quite sure what kept me reading this book. It felt like a young author's first novel, not the product of a veteran writer. The prose was pretty mediocre, and there were so many exclamation points--and mostly narratively, not in dialogue--which is always frustrating. This book is an excellent example of why I am wary of reading novels in first-person: I never got a feeling for the character telling the story--or, for that matter, any character. The prose was simpl ...more
Cindy Burnett
May 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaway

What a delightful book! Nine Women, One Dress was so much fun to read - I did not want to put it down until I was finished. Jane Rosen has created a story that has a great plot line while also containing a wonderful group of characters that I loved getting to know. Moreover, it was witty in addition to being entertaining. I hope Rosen is already busy working on her next novel.

Morris Siegel is an almost 90-year old dress pattern-maker for designer Max Hammer who is approaching retirement
Danielle
Jul 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the sweetest, most touching books I have read. I loved the way it was written. It was a quick read, and I was sorry to see it end. I hope to see more from this author in the future.
Olivia & Lori (The Candid Cover)
This fun sounding story is a short, quirky read that is jam-packed with a full cast of characters. There are so many characters, in fact, that there is bound to be one that everyone can relate to. Some of the stories intertwine, which give them a little more depth and interest, while others are short and sweet. Due to the fact that the advanced copy is a scant 257 pages, there needs to be more detail and character development to make these stories that much more entertaining.

Nine Women, One Dres
Victoria
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everyone comes in searching for the perfect dress for her big day, whether it’s her high school prom or her fiftieth high school reunion. The dress needs to match more than just the shoes. It needs to match her hopes and expectations. It needs to remove all worry and doubt about looking good from the equation so that everything else can fall into place. Tomas, Third Floor Ladies' Dresses

Fun, frothy and fab! This is a rom com of a novel, but oh how I enjoyed this trifle. It’s an ensemble of vigne
Teresa
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I adored this book!

“... a beautiful dress knows no age. It is boundless. A beautiful dress holds a little bit of magic in it.”

A Max Hammer little black dress! It’s the dress “of the season” and widely sought after. This book is about the dress and nine women whose lives are changed by it’s magic! The magic of confidence ...

The women’s stories are intertwined throughout the book with each reaching it’s conclusion simultaneously. The main characters are fun, quirky, relatable and likable with an
Stacy Charlesbois
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Light as air. drink a martini (or a cosmo) while you read it.
Nanette
Mar 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
3.5 stars. This is a really nice story to come across when you're looking for something that is down to earth, with no gimmicks, suspense, or horror. It truly is amazing to think that one specific dress can influence so many people in so many different ways, both good and not so good. I really enjoyed hearing about the pattern maker who created the Max Hammer little black dress. This is one worth picking up if you want to read a cute, lighthearted, fun story, and yes, I do believe in magic.
I mus
Samantha March
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got on really well with this book, right from the beginning. There are so many different characters and plot points, yet somehow they all seem to connect and intersect in one way or the other. And all because of one little black dress. About halfway through the book though I had to stop and think: where was all this going? What was the actual point of this book? Typically I prefer reads with a bit more depth, a lesson to be learned, and I didn’t quite get that with this one. Entertaining, char ...more
Alexa
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I highly enjoyed this! It's so cute!

I think this book is refreshing. It follows numberous women (and a few men) and how the "it" dress of the season effects/changes their lives.

I read this while I was away on vacation and it was perfect.

Even though each chapter follows a different character, I had no difficulties feeling connected to each character. Each character and their story eventually mends together in some way or another. Ultimately, all these characters get involved in each others live
Mo
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a story about THE dress... and the power it has to change lives. Every woman who has ever been fortunate enough to wear the "perfect" dress knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Highly recommended when you're in the mood for something fun, light and breezy.

Lynn
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reads
3.5 stars rounded up.
This is an enjoyable light read. The premise is that 9 different women come in contact with THE perfect Little Black Dress and their lives are somehow transformed by the experience. Some of the women’s stories are given more prominence than others. Some only have a fleeting experience with the LBD. Some of the women are better portrayed than others. NYC is almost a star in this book, as is the LBD, but NYC gets a more descriptive treatment than the LBD.

There is nothing taxi
Renee M
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. Jane L. Rosen has written a romance with the city of New York, as well as a disarming set of characters who share the same little black dress. Some find romance, others find themselves. All capture the reader with their desire for the things we all hope for our selves and our loved ones. Just what I needed this week.
Plethora
How terrible of me, I read this back in MAY 2016 and didn’t realize I never wrote a review. I won this book on Goodreads in the Keep Turning Pages Group hosted by Doubleday Publishers. Just how important is that Little Black Dress that should be every woman’s closet? The hottest little dress of the season is hanging on the rack at Bloomingdale’s in limited quantity and everyone wanting that one last size small. The cast chasing after it ranges from models to down and out sales girls.

A fun chick
Play Book Tag: Nine Women, One Drress - Jane L. Rosen - 3 stars 1 16 Feb 18, 2017 09:05AM
Mary Lib Saleh Eu...: Nine Women One Dress 9 23 Feb 13, 2017 02:34PM
Play Book Tag: Nine Women, One Dress by Jane L. Rosen - 4 Stars 2 15 Aug 27, 2016 11:18AM

• The One That Got Away
  • Independently Wealthy
  • One Less Problem Without You
  • The Dirty Girls Book Club
  • The Coincidence of Coconut Cake
  • The Secret Ingredient of Wishes
  • Ten Girls to Watch
  • The City Baker's Guide to Country Living
  • The Boy Is Back (Boy, #4)
  • On the Rocks
  • A Safe Place for Dying (Dek Elstrom #1)
  • Return to Bluebell Hill
  • The Marriage Clock
  • Diane von Furstenberg: A Life Unwrapped
  • For Matrimonial Purposes
  • The Pink Suit
  • Under Currents
  • Small Admissions
Jane L. Rosen is an author and Huffington Post contributor. She lives in New York City and Fire Island with her husband and three daughters. She often takes inspiration from the city she lives in and the people she shares it with. She is the author of a young adult novel, The Thread, which she self-published. In addition to writing she has spent time in film, television, and event production and i ...more
“For seventy-five years I've made ladies dresses. That means that for seventy-five years I have made women happy. For seventy-five years I have made mature women spin around in front of the mirror like young girls. For seventy-five years I have made young girls look in the mirror and for the first time see a woman staring back at them. I have made young men's eyes pop out. I've made old men's eyes pop out. Because the right dress does that. It makes ordinary women feel extraordinary.” 5 likes
“As I stood in front of the mirror in the beautiful little black dress, I knew that I was looking at a woman whom I would never see again. I wished I had never seen her in the first place, but the truth is she had always been there. I was being dishonest to myself by pretending that she hadn't.” 2 likes