Start by marking “An Ordinary Knight: A Fairy Cursed Fable (An Ordinary Knight, #1)” as Want to Read:
An Ordinary Knight: A Fairy Cursed Fable (An Ordinary Knight, #1)

An Ordinary Knight: A Fairy Cursed Fable

(An Ordinary Knight #1)

Stuck in a humiliating position as the Royal Kennel Guard, Sir Percy sees little hope for anything other than an obscure fate. After all, in the Kingdom of Ithelia, you need a fairy to guide you to greatness, and fairies just don't bother with knights like him.
However, when Percy catches the eyes of the sheltered Princess Matilda, his world expands in new and frightening
Published November 9th 2015

To ask other readers questions about An Ordinary Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Ordinary Knight

Start your review of An Ordinary Knight: A Fairy Cursed Fable (An Ordinary Knight, #1)
Amelia Nichole Defield
A lovely story of bravery, courage and friendship!
Ines Bautista-yao
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So good, I read it twice and enjoyed it even more the second time around.

I cannot gush more about this book. It's so good. I love fairy tales, adorable knights who think they're ordinary but really aren't, princesses who aren't helpless at all but think they are, and fairies - crazy ones, vengeful ones, and irresistibly endearing ones. This book has everything you need for a light, heartwarming, sometimes even laugh out loud experience.

I thought Percy made the most adorable knight. His lack of
Tricia Mingerink
This might just be my favorite H.L. Burke book yet! Admittedly, I haven't read all of her books yet, but this one hit all the sweet spots for me.

It is a short book. More like long novella. But it is absolutely adorable! It is somewhat a fairy tale retelling, and it hits a lot of retelling tropes. Yet it spins those tropes so masterfully! I loved Matty and Percy, especially Percy! Percy is so sincere even if he dismisses himself and all his good qualities.

Highly recommend this book!
Steve
Feb 27, 2016 added it
A surprisingly satisfying little tale in which the ordinary becomes extraordinary and saves the day. A delightful tale of misfortune, friendship, fairies and true love conquering all in the end. Buy it, read it, you'll enjoy it. ...more
Gena
Nov 26, 2020 rated it liked it
So cute! A coming of age romance bundled into a road trip :) Loved the concept of a story with someone not gifted by the fairies. 3* as the novella length limited the depth of the characters. Overall I'd recommend it. ...more
Selina R Gonzalez
Feb 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute

Fun, short, and cute. A pleasant bit of fairytale fluff. It's a light hearted YA romp, with a bit of a storytelling/once upon a time voice.
R.J. Rodda
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet clean fairy tale that features an ordinary, non-magical knight and a princess who is afraid of being cursed. Enjoyable!
P.S. Winn
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a fun fairy tale that I think young adults will like, although it is a fun, quick read for adults too. When Sir Percival heads to the castle of King Harold, he becomes the guard over guard dogs. But, Percy has more in his future than that as he meets not only a special princess, but a mysterious man named Dusty. The journey begins into a delightful fable.
Katy
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a delightful fairy tale that made me smile, made me laugh, and made me worry about what was going to happen to Sir Percival the ordinary knight and Princess Matilda. Both Percy and Matty were noble and charming and lovable, and this reader wanted to alternately hug them and scold them when they thought or did reckless things. The character Dusty adds so much fun and intrigue to this twisty-turny story. A must-read for lovers of fairy tales!
Juliann Whicker
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This fairy tale reminded me of one of my favorite books of all time, The Ordinary Princess. The characters were solid and enjoyable. The obstacles were interesting and well navigated, and of course, the happily ever after came just in the nick of time. I can recommend this book to anyone looking for an enjoyable quick foray into light magical fantasy.
SparksofEmber
This is a cute novella. It has a similar vibe to An Ordinary Princess or Dealing With Dragons – a bit tongue-in-cheek and a little snarky. I’m normally not a huge fan of novellas but this one actually surprised me with a few twists &/or directions I wasn’t expecting. It was a fun story and something I’d feel comfortable recommending to any age group. ​This was my first story by H.L. Burke and I’ll definitely be reading more.

My only feedback is I thought the book itself was a bit big. Novellas ar
N.W. Moors
Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Percy is resistant to charms and curses which makes him ordinary in the kingdom of Ithelia. Princess Matilda, or Matty, has been stuck in a tower since birth to protect her from the fairies who want to curse her. When the two set off cross-country to save Matty from the fairies, they find they are also saving each other.
This is a lovely novella, perfect for children and adults to enjoy. It has all the requisites for the perfect fairy-tale: ogres, dragons, a fairy godfather, princess, and knights
Erin Dydek
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fairytale
Straightforward fairytale with a solid theme and a happy ending. I enjoyed the aspect of Percy being ordinary, with no magic blessing, and his journey to accepting that lack of magic was ok. There wasn’t much of a story arch for the Princess but I enjoyed her innocence and heart-warming character. Aside from a few awkwardly worded phrasings and lackluster combat scenes (I just didn’t enjoy the hand to hand fight and the sword fight seemed a bit simple too), this was a fun story. I loved cheering ...more
Melissa
~Disclaimer I received a free audiobook code of this book~

Given this was a fairytale I knew where the story was going from the beginning. However, I found the quick read was rather fun and I'll probably check out more of the authors books as a result.

Some characters are rather one note, but that is again to expected in a fairy tale. The main character is very likable and the world it creates is interesting.

Def worth a looksee (especially if you have kindle unlimited).
Gretchen
Aug 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Clever Fairytale

Percy is a fun and charming hero. Matty is a sweet heroine. This is a fun read that is well-paced. I not only enjoyed the main characters but also the parade of less than worthy suitors.
kattie
May 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Fairy Fable

I loved this story. I recommend everyone to read it. I look forward to reading more of her books. Kattie 5/10/17.
Abi
Very cute. Percy was a good guy, and I really liked Matty too. A short, sweet read.
grace duck
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good story

I really liked reading this story and watching the characters grow as they meet challenges. There wasn't much violence and it was sweet without being overly so.
Janeen Ippolito
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An exceptionally fluffy, sweet read with an HEA (in case you thought otherwise ;-) ). Great for a light snack, perfect for MG and up. Lovely narrative voice. Enjoyed it!
Amy
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable read!

I’ve never read a romance entirely from the man’s perspective but this was well done! Percy has his own strength even though he’s very much an underdog who believes he is a nobody. Matty starts off as innocent and sheltered, even a little one-dimensional, but she finds her strength as the story progresses.

Loved the ending especially! Would definitely recommend for a quick, light easy read.
Denae Christine
Reader thoughts: Sir Percy is a magical zero, no blessing and no curse. Princess Matty has a hundred fairies mad at her, but none have managed to curse her yet. Together, they flee.

In trying to avoid fairies and find a way to protect Matty from curses, Percy and Matty encounter a cheating prince, an ogre, a spineless traveler, a dragon, an enchanted path, fairies, and bacon. Percy learns what the fairies really think of him, and he gets to spend time as a stone pillar. Both learn what true frien
Kellyn Roth
Well … it was still good, but it wasn’t improved too much if at all. You see, H.L. Burke originally published An Ordinary Knight a while back along with another novella. She later removed it from the market and presumably edited it to be re-published … and I see some changes, but not a lot. Or maybe I simply don’t remember the earlier version very well.

First, the info-dumping prologue. Never a good idea. It basically dryly summarizes Sir Percy’s ordinary life up until it stops being ordinary.

Of
Christina Morley
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
An Ordinary Knight is a fabulous young adult novel for the young and old. There is a lot of tongue-in-cheek humor, plenty of adventure, memorable characters and a good dose of romance. I had a blast reading it!

Heidi bravely takes on the fantasy world by including the parts that we have seen on many occasions in the books we have read as kids and the ones we are now reading to our kids, but she puts it into a new perspective with a twist. For example, there are plenty of fairies and knights, but
jospeh jack
Sep 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A grand read! Buy this book! 😍

If you're a person that loves to relax with a a very great story! Buy this book! Forget the woe that today holds, sit or recline with this book! Buy it right away, let the world 🌎 drift by. You need to be kind, to yourself as you are to others!😍( hugs)
Kate
Ordinary Knight, Not Ordinary Fairy Tale

Princes were sought, but the princess made her own choice. True love's kiss happened, but it's not what broke the curse.
A short, sweet tale. But not lacking in adventure. There be dragon.
Brad
Sep 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable Read and Great Story

The book was fun to read even if the ending, or part of it, was pretty clear from the start. The characters were nicely developed and the story kept my interest.

This is worth the time to read.
A. Powers
Oct 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very adorable fairy tale, told from a perspective other than the beautiful but troubled princess. It's all about -- you guessed it -- an ordinary knight, not a handsome prince. Not even a handsome knight. Just an ordinary one. Nothing special about it him at all. Well, we'll see about that....
JB
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Inventive

I don’t like to give spoilers for the books that I read. I believe that the blurb is enough to decide whether or not you will read the book. If you do decide to read the book, enjoy!
Maryalice
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stayed up past my bedtime to finish. In a land where fairies are invited to all births, and how good you are is based on how many show up and how many blessings and curses you get. What happens if you are expected to be a knight, but have NO blessing or curses infarct not even 1 fairy showed up.
Donamarie Fournier
What a wonderful fairy tale twist. This book is a fanciful twist on a traditional fairy tale. I loved the characters Mattie, Percy, and Dustin. Mattie's search for a happily ever after takes her to several princes before she finds her true prince. I love the sense of humor in this book. ...more

• The Faceless Mage (Legends of Abreia, #1)
  • Four Fumbling Fairy Tales
  • The Concord Coalition (Conclave Worlds #2)
  • The Prince's Bargain (The Elves of Lessa, #3)
  • Beholden (The Fairest Maidens, #1)
  • How to Catch a Unicorn and Other Misadventures: A Humorous Romance Anthology
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • Princess of Secrets (Fairy Tale Adventures, #2)
  • Princess of Shadows (Fairy Tale Adventures, #1)
  • Thread and Spool (A Twisted Fairy Tale, #1)
  • Death Wind (Elven Alliance, #3)
  • A Sharpened Axe
  • Beguiled (The Fairest Maidens, #2)
  • Crown of Secrets (The Hidden Mage, #1)
  • Before Beauty (Becoming Beauty #1; The Classical Kingdoms #1)
  • Stolen Enchantress (Forbidden Forest, #1)
  • Curse of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #2)
Born in a small town in north central Oregon, H. L. Burke spent most of her childhood around trees and farm animals and was always accompanied by a book. Growing up with epic heroes from Middle Earth and Narnia keeping her company, she also became an incurable romantic.

An addictive personality, she jumped from one fandom to another, being at times completely obsessed with various books, movies, o

An Ordinary Knight (2 books)
  • The Ordinary Knight and the Invisible Princess: A Tale in Two Parts

News & Interviews

“You're kind and patient and honorable, and yes, maybe those aren't flashy, magical, extraordinary traits. Maybe being all those things does make you a bit ordinary, but the ordinary things are the important things.” 4 likes
“Besides, who makes all these silly rules?” 4 likes