Start by marking “The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories” as Want to Read:
The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories

The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories

In this small but perfectly formed collection of supernatural short stories, bestselling author, Sophie Hannah, takes the comforting scenes of everyday life and imbues them with a frisson of fear. Why is a young woman so unnerved by the presence of a visitors book in her boyfriend’s inner-city home? And whose spidery handwriting is it that fills the pages? Who is the stran ...more
Published October 21st 2015 by Sort Of

To ask other readers questions about The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories

Bionic Jean
I read this book by accident. Some of the best discoveries of authors who are new to me happen that way. Sadly, this is not one of those occasions. The Visitors Book and Other Ghost Stories by Sophie Hannah, published in 2015, was a disappointment.

I could have left well alone, but I like a good ghost story, and when three ghost stories were read on the radio, in the dark chilly depths of an English winter, it was too good to miss. The first seemed OK, but a bit dull. Little did I know that it wo
Fiona MacDonald
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
Exceedingly clever little snapshots into the terrifying supernatural, precisely and warmly written by with wonderful Sophie Hannah. I think she's actually best for ghost stories. Try 'The Orphan Choir' for another eerie chill.
Figgy
Actual rating 3.5

Within these pages you will find four stories, each with a slightly supernatural twist.

Victoria Scase's boyfriend has a visitors book in his small apartment. A visitors book that bothers her on a level she can't quite understand, but which her boyfriend is challenging her to sign.
He doesn't sound angry. He sounds bored, as if it doesn't matter to him; he'd quite like to win the argument but he isn't emotionally invested in it. It makes me feel uneasy. So does the way he avoids m
Stephen
Some of the stories enjoyed but the others was on the fence about but overall enjoyed the ghost/thriller of the whole book
Lynda Dickson
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 16+
Shelves: adult
This is a collection of four short (really short) stories.

In "The Visitors Book" our narrator has a philosophical argument with her boyfriend about the pretentiousness of his visitors book. But why is it so important to him?

In "The Last Boy to Leave" Jen and Greg host a birthday party for their son in their family home. But after all the guests have left, one boy remains. Where are his parents?

In "Justified True Belief" Suzie suffers from bad neck pain and thinks she's seen a ghost. Are the two
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
An incredibly quick read, all four are short ghost stories, nothing special or memorable.
Steve Daykin
All these stories start well, in crisp and clear prose. But their endings came with a twist that underwhelmed.
Renita D'Silva
Dec 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Love Sophie Hannah. Love these stories. Real gems.
Stephanie Ward
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars

'The Visitors Book' is a deliciously creepy collection of short stories that readers will devour in a matter of hours. I normally don't read short stories because it never feels like enough time to really develop deep characters or intricate plot lines - especially since some of my favorite genres are thrillers and mysteries. There never seems to be the right amount of space to give these kinds of stories the scope they deserve, in my opinion. I decided to give this collection a try sim
Nicki
I'm giving up as I put this collection down a while ago and haven't felt the urge to pick it up again. I normally enjoy short stories but these felt like there was something missing from them.
Sara
Jun 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of short stories, I can't wait to read more from this author :)
Suzy
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a neat little gem, beautifully presented, and each story gave me the shivers. Perfect for a public holiday full of reading time.
widyarini u
Aug 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Short quite chilling book
Margot McGovern
Dec 20, 2015 rated it liked it
A good ghost story is hard to find, and a truly chilling contemporary ghost story near impossible. Ironically, in Michelle de Krester’s Springtime: A Ghost Story (Allen and Unwin, 2014), a character explains that we are, in fact, post-ghost:

"Do you know this idea that electricity put an end to ghost stories? People stopped seeing ghosts when rooms were properly lit … The way stories were written changed around that time. Ghost stories work up to a shock, but the modern form of the short story is
Suad Shamma
Aug 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2017
This was a quick book to get through, with only 4 short stories to read. I liked all of them well enough, although one or two gave me the heebie-jeebies more than the rest. They weren't your typical ghost stories, all of them starting out in normal settings, with people having normal conversations with subtle insertions of ghosts, that you sometimes miss it completely and at other times feel the small hairs at the back of your neck rise.

One such story was the “Last Boy to Leave”, which really p
Arzu
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was ok
I felt let down by this collection because I expected a lot more from an author who has had a hand at writing Poirot. I found the stories quite dull. I gave the book 2 stars only because I have been struggling to finish a book in a while and this was a nice 'boost' to get me back into reading, rather than dreading it. Before writing her off as a writer I will give one of Sophie Hannah's novels a try but I was extremely disappointed.
Tina
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book a bit hit and miss to be honest. A couple of the stories I really loved and some of the others left me scratching my head wondering what I had just read. I think that The Visitors Book story was the best one in the book. It was a really quick read although I did give up on the last story.
Mel
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great collection of paranormal short stories, very enjoyable. Each story had a likeable protagonist, and I liked that they took place in a realm of possibility - making them that little bit more creepy! I enjoyed them all but especially "All the Dead Mothers of my Daughter's Friends" - I gasped out loud at the end - didn't see that coming at all!
Roisin
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Creepy, quick read. My favourite story being 'All The Dead Mothers Of My Daughter's Friends' closely followed by 'Justified True Belief'
Kat
Nov 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
I found these short stories quite predictable. This is the first time I've read anything by Sophie Hannah, though, and I did like her style; I'd definitely give one of her novels a go.
Lena
A quick read with four short ghost stories. They were ok.
Andrea
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Nice spooky short stories. Great bedtime reading. Or not.
Regina Widya
Nov 12, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
After the disappointment reading The Warning, this time I have tried again to read another work of Sophie Hannah, in the spirit of "reading creepy books still in the Halloween season, eventhough it's already passed October". HOWEVER. Reading this book reminds me of why I did not like her book "The Warning" in the first place. It is as if her stories are written in a hurry, including the conversations, which on the contrary are "too long and too detail" in a non-sense kind of way, yet they feel l ...more
Colin
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I love a good ghost story so picked up this little collection of four stories with excited anticipation, but I have to confess to being rather disappointed. Each of the stories falls flat and at no point does the 'pleasing terror' that M.R. James described as the essential ingredient of the ghost story materialise. Reading this collection has just served to reinforce my belief that it is almost impossible to write an effectively terrifying modern ghost story. That won't stop me searching for it ...more
Gloria
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'The Visitors Book :And Other Stories' is only 106 pages and tells 4 supernatural stories.
Although the stories are short, they are very well told and perfectly pitched.
Usually I am not a fan of short stories - preferring to read a book with depth - where the story slowly develops. I was reading a book with over 600 pages and wanted a book that I could read in-between 'sittings'.
The Visitors Book was perfect. Stories were of the right length too read when I had 10 minutes free time and I was sur
David
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it was short. So, it had that going for it.

Actually the premises (premisees? premiseseses?) of the 4 short stories all had me intrigued, but none of them ended with any satisfaction or twist that surprised you. There were twists. They were just lame.

Included in the book is an excerpt from one of the author's novels, and again, it seemed interesting, but I'd hesitate to read it after the disappointment from this collection. On the other hand, maybe if given a full book to work through an id
{Wild Night In} Cat
Even though this short collection of 4 stories doesn't have a very high rating, I still enjoyed it very much. Hannah explores and mocks the nation's obsession with class and snobbery. The supernatural element often feels like the only way of attacking and toppling some of these establishment figures.
It would be interesting to read a full length novel by the author to see how she'd develop these themes.
brettlikesbooks
four smart, shivery little ghost stories + packs a spooky punch in a slim volume
👻
“The second thing I notice about the woman waiting to cross the road is that the roots of her teeth are visible and blackened where they meet the gum...The friend, the listener, is considerably more attractive. How could she not be, when the speaking woman is a ghost?
Which was the first thing I noticed about her.”
👻
instagram book reviews @brettlikesbooks
Anna
Aug 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick read of 4 short ghost stories, seemingly normal, everyday scenarios with a twist. My personal favourites were the title story The Visitors book, which reminded me somewhat of The Shining, and All the Dead Mothers of My Daughter's Friends, which I felt was the most padded out of the stories with the ending that gave the best chills.
Thetillybird
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
This collection was okay. All the stories were written like they had some big twist but it was always pretty obvious what the 'twist' was. Only one of the stories really stuck out to me "The Last Boy to Leave" was cute and somewhat sad. I basically forgot what the other stories were and had to check what they were to write this review.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Twisted Little Things and Other Stories
  • Brief Lives
  • The Well
  • The Little One
  • The Mansion Hauntings Super Boxset: A Collection Of Riveting Haunted House Mysteries
  • Cauldstane
  • Real Elves
  • Silent Nights: Christmas Mysteries
  • The Fourth Science Fiction Megapack
  • Her Last Tomorrow Super Boxset
  • The Virago Book of Ghost Stories
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more