Start by marking “Small Wars (Sin du Jour)” as Want to Read:
Small Wars (Sin du Jour)

Small Wars

(Sin du Jour #1.5)

The Sin du Jour procurement team has been tasked with acquiring a substantial cache of rare Welsh gold for a rather important event, but when they stumble upon rivals factions of the smallest warriors they've ever encountered, they'll need to bring out the big guns if they're to survive.
Published January 19th 2016 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Small Wars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Small Wars

Start your review of Small Wars (Sin du Jour)
carol.
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was ok

The procurement team from Sin de Jour, an exclusive catering and hosting company, are back, traveling to Wales in search of some rare gold, perfect for celebrating goblin nuptials.

While I love the idea of the specialized restaurant, this installment from Tor doesn't work as well as the novella Envy of Angels. Events during the current mission are interrupted with backstory on team members, changing both location and time. Essentially a short-short story
Jokoloyo
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Surprisingly for me, this story is not funny in general. Only at the beginning story I had smiles at the jokes. But after that, it is a pretty dark fantasy. As if it is a fan-fiction that using Sin du Jour characters.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
2.5 stars. Review first posted on www.FantasyLiterature.com:

This short story from Tor.com follows the first book in Matt Wallace‘s Sin du Jour urban fantasy series, Envy of Angels, which tells the story of two out of work New York City chefs, Lena and Darren, who are thrilled to get jobs with Sin du Jour, an exclusive catering company. But they soon find out that the clients of Sin du Jour are also an exclusive group: demons and goblins, who have very demanding taste buds and a predilection for
Kaitlin
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Again this is a short which was included at the end of book #2 for the Sin du Jour series and it's a small tale about the procurement of Welsh Gold and the tiny guardians who watch over it. It's a bit of a laugh with some good moments although fairly forgettable I'd imagine in the end. 2.5*s
Michael Hicks
Jan 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bought, urban-fantasy
SMALL WARS is a short story set in author Matt Wallace's fresh, new Sin du Jour series. In ENVY OF ANGELS we were introduced to the culinary crew manning the lines and concocting crazy creations for the Sin du Jour catering company, and got a good glimpse at the adventures of the procurement team responsible for tracking down the rare ingredients necessary to feed demonic hordes.

SMALL WARS gives us a larger look at the procurement team, headed up by Ritter, as his band of recipe-minded
Ashley
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Utterly fantastic. I almost think I'd recommend reading this before jumping into the novellas. Even more of a Ritter crew superfan!
chucklesthescot
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
It's been a while since I read the first book so I thought I'd delve back into the series with this short story but I kind of wish I hadn't as I didn't enjoy it at all. Firstly, our heroes by slagging off everything about Wales as they arrive to collect Welsh gold for an upcoming event. This seems to happen a lot in books by authors who seem to take delight in making the various nations of the UK like Wales and Scotland look like crappy places to be and it annoys me.

The story is frequently
Kaleb
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sin du Jour is quickly becoming one of my favorite urban fantasy series. I especially admire the opportunity to become better acquainted with Sin du Jour's procurement team. Ritter and the gang make for a fine group of characters with good chemistry and I can't help but chuckle at every interaction they share. Cindy is a fucking boss and I see Moon in a completely different light after this story! If this is any indication of what's to come in the next book, I cannot wait for Lustlocked!
Badseedgirl
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great little story to introduce readers to what appears to be an interesting urban fantasy.
Tim Martin
Dec 31, 2016 rated it liked it
I began this short story not knowing that it was connected to other tales in this modern urban fantasy setting and while it didn’t really impact my enjoyment of the story not having read them, I think it might have helped. Certainly, I could see the author writing more stories with this setting and group.

The story is easy to nutshell, centering around the procurement team for Sin du Jour, a restaurant that caters to the highly specific tastes of its supernatural clientele. In this case, the
R.T. Ewell
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ritter & The Gang!

I loved Envy Of Angels which I just finished a few weeks ago. To my surprise another story in the series was just around the corner!

This story doesn't actually take place at Sin Du Jour, it follows Ritter, Head Of Stocking & Receiving at Sin Du Jour and his team on one of their missions.

The best part of this was that we got to learn more about everyone which is scattered throughout a unique story with humor sprinkled within.

Small Wars is a fun, fast, story that will
Mikhail
Jul 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Call it a 2.5. A quick little short story I found on Tor, interesting enough that I'll look into the main series.
Jasmine
The restaurant industry will chew you up and spit you out. Yes, including the magical restaurant industry. Especially the magical restaurant agency.
Ben Truong
May 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Small Wars is a short story from Sin du Jour series written by Matt Wallace and takes place after Envy of Angels and is best read after it. The short story centers on Ritter, Head of Stocking and Receiving at Sin du Jour. As the head of the procurement team responsible for tracking down the rarer ingredients necessary to feed their demonic hordes, they go on many strange adventures.

Small Wars gives more insight to the procurement team, headed up by Ritter, as his band of recipe-minded
lauraღ
Apr 28, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
Whoa. I was not expecting this short story to be so sombre and introspective.

I enjoyed the first Sin du Jour novella when I read it; it was weird and fun and did paranormal things that I just haven't seen before in fiction and was interesting for it. This short story shows us a small (zing!) escape in the procurement team's life, as well as flashes back to show us how Ritter recruited his friends. I liked it a bunch, the end got disturbing in a squirmy way that was still good.
Mitch
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it
This is meant to be read either simultaneously with Lustlocked or right after. It explains how Ritter's crew obtains the welsh gold for the wedding. There is more fleshing out of Ritters crew, but it is still too vague. The ending was also much too rushed. This would have benefited from a longer story.
Angie
Jun 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, paranormal
My Review: This is a short novella about how the team obtained the special ingredient needed for the event in book 2. I found this totally entertaining. I love reading about Ritter's team and the crazy hoops they have to jump through to get these ingredients and this one was so creative and entertaining.
E.Y.E.-D
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
A very short story that takes place in the world of Sin Du Jour. To me the story was nothing special. I enjoyed learning a little back story to the characters on Ritter's team though.

For me not great but worth the read for character info.
Zaphied
Oct 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Character intros and background story to the procurement team before and during the events of the second novel.
Rafi
Apr 17, 2019 rated it liked it
It was meh. Short and Sweet, but didn't really serve any purpose...
Ron
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
An interesting short story that stars the Acquisition Team on the search for Welsh Gold that runs into gnomes and leprechauns.
Peter
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A heart-felt interlude with the Stocking and Receiving Team.... and Roland.
Emily
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Included as bonus content in the paperback edition of Lustlocked.
Jo
This is basically a Sin du Jour interlude that gives a few of the characters a bit more depth. Enjoyable, but just a little bit too short to be really good.
Beth
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series a lot, though horror isn't really my thing. I very much like the premise and the characters, and the action is always suspenseful and exciting. There's enough humor in these books to mitigate the horror for me.
K.F.
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Oh my g0odness, what a solid short. Seriously heart breaking, and I like that we finally get the background for all the stocking and requisition team. Tears. And of all people, Moon is the one I'm most sympathetic with, which I did NOT see coming.
Marco
Apr 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural
Beware, this is a short story set in the world of Matt Wallace's Sin Du Jour series. While I enjoyed reading it as a stand-alone, I have the distinct feeling that I would have loved it more if I had read Envy of Angels first. I liked the writing style, and the humor, and I am likely to read the rest of the series soon.
In this installment of the series, the Sin du Jour procurement team has been tasked with acquiring a substantial cache of rare Welsh gold for a rather important event, but when
Hisham El-far
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A nice little backstory to Lustlocked.

(view spoiler)

In just 37 pages, we learn more about each of the team and how they came to work under Ritter.

Definitely read this if you enjoyed Envy of Angels and Lustlocked.

Note: Goodreads has this listed as Sin Du Jour #1.5. It actually falls parallel to Lustlocked and
Dakeyras
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fast and very entertaining story. You get to find out how a lot of the Sin du Jour staff came to meet and work under Ritter's area.

The story starts out with a trip to get a special kind of gold. Then, as expected, the story takes a turn and it becomes a war story between Leprechauns and gnomes.

Since the story is pretty short, I don't want to say any more for fear of spoiling the story. Suffice it to say, it won't end how you expect.

• The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion (Danielle Cain, #1)
  • Halloween II
  • Fred Basset Yearbook 2020: Witty Comic Strips from Britain's Best-Loved Basset Hound
  • Bad Weekend
  • A Cat Was Involved (Chet and Bernie Mystery, #0.1)
  • Life in Stone
  • The Ghosts of Christmas
  • Giant-size Grimm Fairy Tales #1
  • Impossible Dreams
  • Pale Dog (Marla Mason, Prequel #3)
  • Steeple #3
  • Vampirella (2019-) #0
  • Vampirella (2019-) #2
  • Angel #8

Sin du Jour (8 books)
  • Envy of Angels (Sin du Jour, #1)
  • Lustlocked (Sin du Jour, #2)
  • Pride's Spell (Sin du Jour, #3)
  • Idle Ingredients (Sin du Jour, #4)
  • Greedy Pigs (Sin du Jour, #5)
  • Gluttony Bay (Sin du Jour, #6)
  • Taste of Wrath (Sin du Jour, #7)
  • Sin du Jour: The Final Course