Start by marking “Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)” as Want to Read:
Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane, #12)

Duke of Desire (Maiden Lane #12)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  1,108 Ratings  ·  260 Reviews
A LADY OF LIGHT

Refined, kind, and intelligent, Lady Iris Jordan finds herself the unlikely target of a diabolical kidnapping. Her captors are the notoriously evil Lords of Chaos. When one of the masked-and nude!-Lords spirits her away to his carriage, she shoots him . . . only to find she may have been a trifle hasty.

A DUKE IN DEEPEST DARKNESS

Cynical, scarred, and brooding
Mass Market Paperback, 308 pages
Published October 17th 2017 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Duke of Desire, please sign up.

Hilda This is the final full length book, then we get 2 novellas and then it's all over.

WhiskeyintheJar/Kyraryker
***Full Review***

Kidnapped and brought as an offering to the Lords of Chaos, Iris improbably finds herself rescued by the towering Wolf.
Now a man and ready to take on the insidious Lords of Chaos, Raphael, finds himself saving a woman he can't forget a shared waltz with.
Raphael's scars run deeper than just the surface but Iris is determined to show him he's wor
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover

Book 9: Sweetest Scoundrel 3.5 Stars
Book 10: Duke of Sin 5 Stars
Book 11: Duke of Pleasure 4.5 Stars
Book 12: Duke of Desire 4 Stars

This has been one exciting series. I never would've thought histori
Alyssa
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
***Review posted on The Eater of Books! blog***

Duke of Desire by Elizabeth Hoyt
Book Twelve of the Maiden Lane series
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Publication Date: October 17, 2017
Rating: 5 stars
Source: ARC sent by the publisher

Summary (from Goodreads):

A LADY OF LIGHT

Bubu
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: hr, fav-authors, 3-stars
Possible spoilers ahead

Raphael de Chartres, the new Duke of Dyemore since his father’s death in Duke of Sin, has come back to England to finally destroy the infamous Lords of Chaos, a secret society of degenerates who were led by his father for years and indulged in all sorts of unspeakable crimes against women and children. To do so, he has infiltrated said society, pretending to be one of them, and kill the new leader, the Dionysus whose real identity is unknown, even by the members of the Lor
Monty Cupcake ☠ Queen of Bloodshed ☠
Why is Iris the heroine in this book? I'm reading the Duke of Kyle's book right now and she's so boring. Maybe she grows a personality by the time this book happens.
Hollis
Maybe it was unfair to expect anything to live up to my last read, it could be argued nothing really stood a chance no matter what I picked up, but also.. uh.. this was really not enjoyable? It felt the least Maiden Lane-y of all the series. We get a pretty brief/minor appearance of one of the characters from the last book (and not even my favourite one) but otherwise it was full of more Lords of Chaos doom and gloom without any of the fun.

Both leads were a pretty big disappointment, though kudo
Lady Wesley
I'm sorry to see the Maiden Lane series end because I have enjoyed all eleven of the previous installments. I cannot say that I enjoyed this one though.

Yes, there is Elizabeth Hoyt's gothic atmospherics, deft plotting, and excellent pacing, as well as her outstanding characterization. She is a first-rate writer. If the danger and adventure had come from a group of evil men who were, say, French spies or jewel thieves, I imagine I would have enjoyed the book.

The villains, however, are a group of
Caz
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've given this a B for narration and a B+ for content at AudioGals.

All good things must come to an end, and here we are, at the end (almost – I think there are a couple of novellas to follow) of Elizabeth Hoyt’s Maiden Lane series with the twelfth and final full-length novel, Duke of Desire. I’ve read some of the novels and listened to others (and in many cases, done both) and there’s no doubt that Ms. Hoyt has maintained an incredibly high standard of storytelling throughout the series, giftin
RachelW (BamaGal)
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
This one is all Lords of Chaos. No Ghost, and no Maiden Lane/St. Giles. Although the LOC were supposedly defeated in the last book, they are back; and stronger and more evil than ever. I found the story to be uneven at best. The romance was bogged down by erotic escapades, the H had a lot of psychological damage, and the atrocities by the LOC were enough to turn the stomach. It was bad enough for the women who were sexually assaulted; but the abuse of the little boys by the group was unthinkable ...more
♥Rachel♥
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Iris Jordan finds herself in the middle of the Lords of Chaos latest diabolical plan when they mistake her for the Duke of Kyle’s wife and kidnap her. Lucky for her Raphael is there, trying to infiltrate their horrid group rescues her from rape, torture, and possibly death. These men are despicable! Unaware of Raphael’s true intentions, Iris shoots Raphael as he’s trying to get her to safety. Ooops!

Snatching Iris away from the Lords of Chaos as his own was no easy task. To continue the deceptio
Mandi Schreiner
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
If you are current with this series, you know all about the Lords of Chaos and their dark, horrible, abusive ways. If you are new or not up to date with this series, you can easily read this one as a stand alone. The Lords of Chaos are a clandestine group of men, who wear masks and torture, rape, kill and abuse women and children. They are after power and money – and obviously other things as well. This group has been the “villain” for a couple of books now, and it all comes to a dramatic climax ...more
Bj
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 "The Light to His Dark" Stars!

Lovers of Beauty and the Beast styled romances will be the most intrigued by Duke of Desire.  Building on this theme, Ms. Hoyt delivers another installment of the beloved Maiden Lane Series featuring a scarred hero who has become bitter and a recluse due to a terrible past at the hands of the man who should have loved him the most (his father). Fortunately though the hero does come back to life, not just with a kiss but with the perseverance of the love that the h
Joanna
Oct 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: hr, i-own-nook, mofo-dukes
I have debated internally on this rating. This is such a hard one. I liked it, but it's one of my lesser likes among Hoyt HR. For me, three stars for Hoyt is like saying I hated it, but that is absolutely not true. I DID find it disappointing, however, and that is the clencher here.

I am a huge Hoyt fan girl. I think she is amaze balls and can do no wrong. There are ones I like more than others, of course, but in general, I find more enjoyment from her books than most other authors out there. She
Tinsoni
Oct 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
This series lost its appeal to me when the Lords of Chaos were introduced....the 11th book was the only 1 star I have ever given a Hoyt novel...because they don't resemble her writing...the unbridled passion....the desperate love....the angst and beauty of yearning for each other was missing from these books starting with the 8th book. This was an anticlimactic end to a beautiful series that for me began with Wicked Intentions and ended before Dearest Rogue....the rest of the books felt rushed a ...more
Francoise
“Duke of Desire” is the wrap up of an outstanding series. As the last full length installment in the Maiden Lane series, this book was one of my most anticipated read of the year. And I absolutely loved it! The characters are so beautifully drawn, the growth of their love, and the obstacles to it, so believable, that I was completely captivated by their story. It was gripping, intense and heartbreaking, the pace of the story, the angst and the action kept me riveted to the pages!

Iris Daniels, La
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

As the twelfth book in the Maiden Lane series, a lot has happened even before the DUKE OF DESIRE begins. I do believe it’s necessary to read the other books in the series. Not only will you get a better understanding of who the villains, the Lords of Chaos, are by doing so, but you’ll also get the first half of the hero and heroine’s meeting in the other books.

Mei
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Well, Ms. Hoyt's writing is as good as I'm used to, but the heroine here was pulling out my inner bitch!

I understand that Iris is a lady and used to have her every wish fulfilled, but sometimes I wanted to slap her! She didn't listen to Raphael, she didn just what she wanted and to hell with all the others! Grrr!!!

I wished a different heroine for Raphael! Somebody more empathetic, with a humility to trust his warnings, not just disregard them!

It was a good story, but when I cannot love one of th
Lacey (Booklovers For Life)
Originally posted at Booklovers For Life

It’s always bittersweet for a series to end. To be honest, I hadn’t realized Duke of Desire was the final Maiden Lane novel until halfway through the book! Thankfully, I haven’t actually read every Maiden Lane book, so it’s not quite over for me yet, but for those who’ve caught up, it’s an exciting, action-packed finale to an incredible historical romance series.

When Iris Jordan attends the Duke of Kyle’s wedding to the love of his life, she has no idea th
Jaci
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Twelfth book in The Maiden Lane Series is the last full-length novel in the Series. I can honestly say that this is one of my top five Historical Romance Series that I have read, and I have read hundreds of Historical Romances so far.

It is fitting that the last one should be about Raphael de Chartres, The Duke of Dyemore, the darkest of the heroes in this Series. A man tormented by the abuse he suffered as a child at the hands of his own father. He has returned and will do what he should ha
Erin Kelly
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all of the Maiden Lane books to this point. Hoyt has a way of combining the sweeping saga of a historical romance with the dark and edgy in a way that suits my tastes perfectly. So, you know I was excited to read this final entry in what is certainly one of my favorite series ever. A perfectly tortured hero and smart, no-nonsense heroine make this one memorable.

The Story-
Iris is kidnapped by the evil group that has terrorized a number of people in the past few books. Fortunately
Keertana
Aug 17, 2017 rated it liked it
I was really looking forward to this but I have to admit that it's among my least favorite in the series. Of course, that still means it's a solid read but not quite as good as I was expecting after all the build-up in the last novel.
Amanda
As the final full length book in the Maiden Lane series, Duke of Desire ended up being my least favorite as I cared neither for the main couple, nor the story surrounding them. Elizabeth Hoyt’s often lush and captivating prose came across as hollow and unimpressive here. Worst of all was the romance itself. Because there wasn’t one; a romance, I mean or any romantic anything period. While I did think Iris and Raphael were fine, if not fully fleshed out characters as they were, the lack of a beli ...more
Anna's Herding Cats

Reviewed for herding cats & burning soup.
Amazon: http://amzn.to/2zD9AlN

Compelling, dark, passionate. Hoyt holds no punches with Duke of Desire and her edgy Maiden Lane series.

The Gist: Mistaken identity, kidnapping, winding up the center of a debauched orgy filled with evil men of the ton who prey on women and young boys. Yes, Iris has had better days.

As has her rescuer who she kinda maybe shoots accidentally on purpose. Woosh.

Light and fluffy...this was not. There's a dark edge to Hoyt's w
Kira
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it

The Lords of Chaos were back and as destructive as ever. The Duke of Dyemore was hellbent on bringing them down. The Lords of Chaos had some disturbing perversions. The things they did were discussed but didn't happen on the page. There definitely were dark elements but not central enough to the plot that I'd consider the book dark.

Dyemore had issues. They caused him to be closed off, abrupt, and a loner. He was by far the most compelling character. I was dying to know what happened t
Lover of Romance
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on Addicted To Romance

In the Duke of Desire we have a lovely continuation that picks off right after Duke of Pleasure (Book 11). Iris Jordan has been kidnapped by the Lord of Chaos, when she is mistaken to be the wife of the Duke of Kyle. They plan on sacrificing her in one of their rituals. Iris can't believe that out of all the things to be mistaken about this would be it. But then one of the members takes her away and she accidentally shoots him thinking he
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*

PRE-RELEASE REVIEW (Release Date: 17th October)

This is the final full-length book in Elizabeth Hoyt’s fabulous Maiden Lane series but there are two novellas to come – ONCE UPON A MAIDEN LANE (14th November) and ONCE UPON A CHRISTMAS EVE (5th December).

From the moment he made his first appearance in Duke of Pleasure, I was intrigued by the scarred Raphael de Chartres, Duke of Dyemore, who recently returned to England to claim the dukedom, following the death of his estranged father, former leade
Heather
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The next installment in the Maiden Lane series brings us the dark and moody scarred Duke of Dyemore who we glimpsed at a ball where he warned Iris to leave immediately. Since then she was kidnapped and found herself surround by nude men in masks who planned to rape and kill her, and Dyemore deciding to rescue her from the Lords of Chaos.  Of course, he didn't expect to get shot in the process by the very woman he set out to rescue or married to her to protect her from the other Lords. He thinks ...more
Jessica
Oct 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with Elizabeth Hoyt's historical romances four years ago, but sadly have not picked many up since then. I don't read nearly enough historical romances these days, so it was like coming home when I got to snuggle up with my pups and Elizabeth's newest release.

Raphael, the Duke of Dyemore, will do anything to take down the Lords of Chaos, a horrible group of men his father was in charge of. Raphael is the hardened man he is today because of his father and he despises everything the
Under the Covers Book Blog
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it

I was very much looking forward to this book. The Maiden Lane series is one of those series that continues to get better with each book.
Katie Michaels
Review to come.

*ARC provided by publisher
  • The Devilish Lord Will (MacKenzies & McBrides, #10)
  • Devil in Spring (The Ravenels, #3)
  • The Devil Comes Courting (The Worth Saga #3)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5, Castles Ever After, #4)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven  (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #3; Desperate Duchesses, #9)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • The Danger of Desire (Sinful Suitors, #3)
  • The Girl with the Make-Believe Husband (Rokesbys, #2)
  • The Viscount and the Vixen (Hellions of Havisham, #3)
  • No Mistress Of Mine (An American Heiress in London, #4)
  • Beauty Like the Night (Spymasters, # 6)
  • The Highlander (Victorian Rebels, #3)
  • If I Only Had a Duke (The Disgraceful Dukes, #2)
  • The Perks of Loving a Scoundrel (Seduction Diaries, #3)
  • Mad for the Plaid (The Oxenburg Princes, #3)
  • While the Duke Was Sleeping (The Rogue Files, #1)
  • The Legendary Lord (Playful Brides, #6)
  • Highland Ever After (The Montgomerys and Armstrongs, #3)
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota with three untrained dogs and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...

Maiden Lane (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
“For a moment she simply stood there in the dark corridor, her heart stopped, the duke roaring huskily behind her like some beast out of one of her childhood nightmares.
Despair wrapped chilly fingers around her throat.
Then she brought her hand before her face and looked at the ruby ring on her little finger. Delicate. Lovely. Eternal.
She breathed again.
Dyemore was no beast. No Bluebeard. No fairy-tale nightmare.
He was a man- a man in pain.
And she was going to pull herself together and help him.
She was already moving toward the stairs.
He hadn't liked the sheets. Something to do with the cedarwood scent had driven him to this crisis. Nicoletta had tried to give her the worn-out sheets- the ones not stored in the cedarwood cabinet. Therefore she needed to go down and find those sheets and return to her husband.
No, it was more than that.
Dyemore had saved her at great risk to himself, and she'd rewarded him by shooting him. He'd nearly died from that wound- continued to be ill from that wound. She owed the man.
And more still.
It didn't matter that he was maddeningly autocratic, unsmiling, and abrupt. Or even that she found him to be the tiniest bit frightening. He'd asked her about her childhood. Engaged her in discussion. Was interested in her opinions on Polybius's "Histories"- and even when he didn't agree with those opinions, he'd respected them.
His cool gray eyes as he'd watched her face during their debate had been intent and focused, as if she was the only thing he cared about at the moment. She'd had his entire attention.
And that? That was worth fighting for.”
1 likes
“You’re burning,” she gasped. “Then you ought not to touch me,” he said seriously. “You’ll be consumed.” “Too late,” she muttered, and pivoted, trying to drag him, he presumed, toward the bed. “You’re awfully heavy—” “My soul is made of lead.” “—and you’re delirious,” she ended decisively. “I need to get help.” 1 likes