Start by marking “Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other to Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected” as Want to Read:

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews

Check out The Better Conversations trailer: https://youtu.be/y3FrWTXC8Uw

“I thought I knew how to have a conversation; I’ve had millions of them.  Some were good, others not so much so. But I want to have GREAT conversations, and Jim Knight has taught me how. The proof is in: better conversations are possible and the results are worth the investment.”

--DOUGLAS FISHER

Coautho

Published October 1st 2015 by Corwin

To ask other readers questions about Better Conversations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Better Conversations

Linda Sahagun
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that we chose to read as a team of Instructional Coaches for work. The insights on personal communication have been life changing for me. It has helped me not only in my work as an Implementation coach but also in my personal life. This is one that I will go back to often to continue applying the listening and communication skills that are addressed. The most powerful thing I learned is to be better at communicating we first have to be better at being silent and practice the art o ...more
CreativelyRed
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I've had this book on the shelf for a while and have referenced occasionally. This week I actually set down to read and really enjoyed it. Not only do the examples lead back to teaching (and other areas of daily life), but everything is approachable and possible. Some ideas seem obvious and many seem challenging but overall a helpful guide filled with worksheets, examples and clear reasoning to help any relationship grow stronger through better conversations.
Jeff
Dec 13, 2016 rated it did not like it
This was required reading for a grad class. I can not believe someone wrote an entire book based on being a thoughtful and empathetic listener. Some of the lines from the book could make a great SNL skit ("Honesty is critical for trust because once I realize you are dishonest, I can never be safe with you.") I am both embarrassed that I read this embellishment of common sense, and proud of myself for enduring it.
Brittany
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education-reads
A book full of resoruces for any professional - but especially instructional coaches! Full of examples and testimony from coaches Knight has worked with, and lots of great suggestions from further reading - a great read that really helps you think about how language and conversations really have the power to shape everything.
Joan
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read this for work and have found myself pausing and thinking about my triggers, how can I be more open in my conversations vs. trying to convince during my conversations, and other strategies suggested in this book. Very useful.
Leah
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Read for work and enjoyed it enough to add it here. Written for coaching teachers but applicable for all areas of life.
Jlemerson27
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great resource for conversations with anyone.
Debra Barry
Mar 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great tool for teachers, instructional coaches, and all those working with our students.
Erin McDonnell-Jones
While the book offers some good insight that could be beneficial for people and or student teachers that are struggling to connect with their students, the book itself reads like a literature review and does not offer any exercises for people to try out or work through. Knight only explains what he's done at his research facility in Kansas and the people they've worked with there. There are evaluation forms for conversations at the end of each chapter, but how could someone complete it, without ...more
Jamie Homb
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book provides great food for thought and group reflection. The suggested strategies are practices people in education and beyond can use on a daily basis. The work is well referenced for those who wish to go deeper into particular themes. I can see why Jim himself regards this as such an important book!
Kate Carlson
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Conversations are a vital part of our lives, both personal and professional. This book provides a multitude of guidelines and methods to employ to improve our conversations. I found so many things from this book could be applied to my work and found even more to apply in my personal relationships.
Darian

$17.99 $1.99
  • John Quincy Adams
    $12.99 $3.99
    $15.99 $2.99
  • The Fifth Agreement: A Practical Guide to Self-Mastery (A Toltec Wisdom Book)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Prize: Who's in Charge of America's Schools?
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Marriage in Dog Years
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Trusting God Day by Day: 365 Daily Devotions
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Undeniable: Evolution and the Science of Creation (Kindle Edition)
  • The Big House: A Century in the Life of an American Summer Home
  • Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fierce Patriot: The Tangled Lives of William Tecumseh Sherman
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success: A Practical Guide to the Fulfillment of Your Dreams
  • The Reaper: Autobiography of One of the Deadliest Special Ops Snipers
  • Our Revolution: A Future to Believe In
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Decluttering at the Speed of Life: Winning Your Never-Ending Battle with Stuff
  • Maps and Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands
  • Goddess: The Secret Lives of Marilyn Monroe
    $17.99 $1.99
  • SACRED JOURNEY OF THE PEACEFUL WARRIOR
    $9.32 $3.49
  • The Devil Soldier: The American Soldier of Fortune Who Became a God in China
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Ninety Percent of Everything: Inside Shipping, the Invisible Industry That Puts Clothes on Your Back, Gas in Your Car, and Food on Your Plate