Start by marking “The Last Librarian (The Justar Journal #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last Librarian (The Justar Journal #1)

The Last Librarian

(The Justar Journal #1)

From the bestselling author of the Inner Movement trilogy and the Cosega Sequence, comes The Last Librarian, (book one of the Justar Journal).

In the year 2098, there is no more war, no more hunger and no more pollution. The world is secure and Earth’s 2.9 billion people are healthy and happy. There is also only one remaining library that still houses physical books. In a
Published October 18th 2015 by Laughing Rain

To ask other readers questions about The Last Librarian, please sign up.
Amanda Przynski Perfect for that age. Naughty business is limited and vaguely worded, no actual profanity (but a future language profanity word is used with abandon),…morePerfect for that age. Naughty business is limited and vaguely worded, no actual profanity (but a future language profanity word is used with abandon), and violence to people is almost entirely "off-camera". More importantly, big ideas and forcing you to think about the personal costs of government mandated peace.(less)
Emma It's the "government" in the series. I've only read one of his books so maybe the author has written other series in the same world as this? That woul…moreIt's the "government" in the series. I've only read one of his books so maybe the author has written other series in the same world as this? That would explain the reference to AOI on the cover. Otherwise, there is no point to it really.(less)

Start your review of The Last Librarian (The Justar Journal #1)
piranha
May 06, 2016 rated it did not like it
Goodreads' ratings system betrays me again. While it's probably good news for authors that there will always be people who think their book is completely amazing, regardless of whether it is so by any objective standards, it doesn't serve people like me who've read some truly mindblowing books in my life, and it takes a lot more than a nifty premise to get me onboard.

And this didn't bring it. At all. I had to fight to finish it, the writing was so cumbersome and clumsy. Which made me go back to
Regina Puckett
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Last Librarian is a cautionary tale for all of us. If all of the print copies of books were destroyed, would anyone notice a few words changed here and there in the ebook versions? Have no fear. It's fortunate there are still a few people left in the world who notice these subtle but important changes and care enough to try to save as many of the world's most invaluable books as possible.

The year is 2098 and all diseases and crimes have all but disappeared. The world is a wonderful place to
SuperHeroQwimm
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Since my phone isn't giving me the button option *SPOILERS*
Overall I'm so pleased with this book. It was a great story, about a great subject, with interesting characters to play it out for me. I was rather upset with the main characters death but I understood it as being necessary to the story.
There was only one downside to the whole thing in my opinion. While it is mentioned that there is a "new" language spoken in this post apocalyptic future, aside from some acronyms, we never see any of tha
Deborah Whipp
Dec 19, 2016 rated it did not like it
Matt
Jul 31, 2018 rated it did not like it
Did not finish. This book didn't hold my interest. It followed a very formulaic pattern of totalitarian control taking over the world. The main character seemed very bland and nothing about him held my attention. In the end it was too easy to put this book down and not pick it up again. As with all books that I cannot/will not finish, I give it a one (1) star rating. Perhaps you might like it and find it mesmerizing enough to hold your attention... I did not. I am happy to see it leaving my queu ...more
Kirsten McKenzie
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
A post-apocalyptic dystopian read. A great read with some interesting characters.
A few too many unnecessary deaths of key players - even Suzanne Collins left it to Book #3 to kill off her key players!
Also, the use of the word 'Torgon' instead of your usually accepted swear words. I presume it was an attempt to keep it clean for certain sectors of society, but every time I came across it, it was a bump in the story flow. I wish the author would remove it in a future edit!!!
All-in-all, it was sti
Emmeline Joy
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dystopia, dnf
Irony: reading an electronic book about people who risk their lives to save the last paper books...

I feel bad not finishing this. It's dystopian. It's about books. It's got a great deal of potential. The execution makes it hard for me to be interested in anything or anyone. I made it 60% before realizing how long it actually took me to get that far, and then also realizing how long it would take me to finish. I don't care enough about these characters to find out what happens.
Trebonius Octavianus
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A Metaphysical & Visionary Read!

I was confident before I even opened, The Last Librarian, (book one of the Justar Journal) that the bestselling author of the Inner Movement trilogy and the Cosega Sequence, Brandt Legg would deliver yet another great hit.

Brandt Legg has woven a complex piece of dystopian literary fiction with a narrative that'll grab your attention. It'll leave you wanting more at the end of each and every page. Rot with richly deep, and clever characters, his words flow smooth
Molly
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a former librarian I was intrigued by the title and naturally loved the concept of the book: to save the books and the contents of the library. Of course there is more to it, as the title and the stunning cover so wonderfully and mysteriously imply. A futuristic world with changes, some good for humanity and some not at all. There ismuch to ponder about in this, as Legg waves deeper thoughts into this novel, the beginning of a very promising thriller series.
Loved the characters and the entire
Joy Rancatore
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Seventy years after a devastating plague that ripped away more than half the world's population, a unified earth enjoys peace, health and prosperity. Or, does it?

The government keeps peace across the globe with its peoples' best interests in mind. Or, do they?

A group of people from many walks of life and many pasts band together under the leadership of a man who is simply a guy with a responsibility to some books. As the story unfolds, we see a clear-cut fight against big government and corrupti
Rebecca
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
So, first off, brilliant idea. I fell in love with the plot line almost immediately, with the importance of the last library and the last librarian, the idea that books (printed books, which was ironic, since I was reading on a Kindle) could save the world--that's my kind of story!

I think the execution was a bit uneven. Most of the characters were well done, but there were just too many of them for me to keep track of. I don't know why, but I kept getting some of the secondary characters mixed u
Lesley
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a really, really great book. I cannot recommend it enough to anyone who loves books about books. It is a story about a dystopian future, even though the people in the book don't know they are living in a nonperfect world yet. I don't normally like books with dystopian themes, but I do like books about books and libraries and this one is written so well and the characters are so engaging and the premise of the story so interesting that I couldn't put it down. There are plots and subplots ...more
David Kinzer
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is really well written. It has characters with whom you can empathize, a believable plot, and a nice story embedded within the turmoil of a near-future earth.
Niki
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
rather 3.5/5 for this very distopian read - no system is idyllic, and certainly not after post-apocaliptic times -
with two important winks to bradbury's fahrenheit 451 and orwell's 1984, brandt legg had built a story at a slow pace, which slowly takes a faster pace around the end - of course it ends with a cliffhanger for this is a trilogy, so two more books to know how things will end -
no man is a hero, unti circumstances demand it, that's what happens to the last librarian who cannot bear to
Joel
Jul 19, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
DNFing at 10%.

My first impression of the book was the author never met a comma he didn't like. My second impression was that he could have benefitted greatly from having been introduced to hyphens.

There's contradictory information in the first few chapters (which read like a heavy-handed info dump) and I can already tell that reading this is not something I'm going to enjoy. Coming on the heels of a 1-star read that I finished, this is not something I want to endure.
Wendy
Mar 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
Innovative and compelling “The Last Librarian” opens in the year 2098 where twenty-four regions are controlled by a one-world governing body after the Banoff plague. In a peaceful period with no war, hunger, pollution, religion and one language, any opposition is quickly eradicated and libraries, the last link to the past are being systematically wiped out. In Pacyfik, the last librarian, Runit Happerman has been notified that the books in his library are going to be destroyed and the building r ...more
Julie
Apr 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
"“I am not running, I am seeking. I am not hiding, I am finding.” “Where do you go? What do you do?” “I’m just dancing with time, and occasionally wrestling with it. Like my daddy used to say, ‘Time’s a funny thing.’ But I’m not laughing.” He sat next to Deuce again. “It’s almost over.”"

This is a story set in the future, when all the books except those in the last library have been destroyed. Books are only available digitally now and the government agencies have decided that the last paper book
Michele
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My heart was in my throat -- no more libraries -- no more print books. Now we all know how I love to read--and even the thought of this sends shivers down my spine!! Oh I now read E-Books-but that is actually pretty recent--and I may not go to libraries anymore--but if you asked my Mom she would tell you that whenever she happened to ask what I wanted to do--I answered "let's go the the library!" Whether it was the NYC Library or the little one in our town--that's where I wanted to go!!

The only
Bryan D.
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It's 2098, almost 70 years after the Banoff plague and subsequent wars killed 5/8s of the world's population. The world is united under one government and speaks one language. Disease has almost been eliminated, as has homelessness. Education and employment are guaranteed, and Runit Happerman is the last librarian in the world, presiding over the last public library in downtown Portland, Oregon. All books have been digitized, and in a world where everything is available in the Field (think the W ...more
Jay
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first in a series of three novels (The Justar Journals) taking place 70 or so years in The future. The population of earth has been decimated by a plague reducing the world population to less than half the pre-plague population. Earth is now under a one world government and all live in a peaceful utopia...Or do they? The story begins with the closing and destruction of the last library on earth that contains actual physical books. This in itself may not seem a problem since all books ...more
Jodi Perkins
DNF. Though I have to say, this is the best book I've ever abandoned. Brandt Legg is a writer of beautiful words. I don't think I've ever highlighted so many quotes in one novel.
He expected tears, cornered in that dark part of the cold building which held centuries of lessons and emotion, but all that came was a silent chant from Lewis Carroll’s Alice in Wonderland. “I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.” He repeated it several times until he stumbled away, blee
Debbie
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an intriguing read! Set in the future, the world survives a major plague, and the population is greatly reduced. Now, the remaining population is united under one government, and living in a time of peace, good health, relative harmony, and constant surveillance. Runit, the Last Librarian, is made aware of some rather disturbing news concerning his library and his beloved books. Along with his long time friend, Nelson, they decide on a risky course of action. They recruit Runit's son, Grand ...more
Greg Tymn
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an Amazon $0.99 special. Some days, peanuts. Some days, shells.

I 'd have to say this novel met expectations, but just so. What could have been an interesting SF thriller contained too many stereotypes written in typical potboiler fashion. The use of famous quotes made me want to burn any copy of Bartlett's Familiar Quotations in the vicinity (wait....that puts me on the wrong side of this, doesn't it?).

I don't think I'll move on to the rest of the series.
Jennifer Theriot
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: suspense, futuristic
Brandt Legg is one of my fav authors. There isn't a book he's written that wouldn't make an awesome film and this book does not disappoint! Futuristic, government invasion and books - what's not to like? I devoured this book in one night and now I want more!
Am going to grab this in paperback as a gift for a co-worker who is also a Brandt Legg fan.
You won't regret this page turner!
Joyce Hertzoff
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What would you do if you were head librarian of the last library left on Earth and learned the government was planning to burn the books? That's the premise, and that premise is followed through to the end of the story. Ironically, I read it in Kindle format.
Grady
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
‘For many years he’d been the head librarian at what recently had become the last library in the world.’

One of the reasons author Brandt Legg has been so successful in his writing and publishing and selling his ten books to date is his magisterial management of his website. From his biographical data we learn that he is ‘a former child prodigy who turned a hobby into a multi-million dollar empire. At eight, Brandt's father died suddenly, plunging his family into poverty. Two years later, while s
Sandra Knapp
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Quite enjoyable.

I chose this book because even the idea that "real" books would ever be replaced totally by digital ones is something that I hope the world never sees come about. So a story about the "last library" and it's Librarian piqued my interest.

It was well written, and I definitely got "into" the characters and could relate to them, those trying to save the books, that is, completely. But that was about all I could honestly understand about what all was happening throughout the story.

Too
Tim Seabrook
Jun 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Set in the future after a plague wipes out much of humanity, the world achieves an apparent balance with the remaining civilization. Actions are taken to restore the Earth and the damage from global pollution is reversed and fossil fuel systems are replaced by clean energy alternatives, while technology dominates everything for an "easier" life for its citizens. But like any utopian society, there are those that don't wish to be a part of it which the government either monitors or tries to remov ...more
S.R. Mallery
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
THINGS ARE NOT ALWAYS PERFECT: A 5* READ

Imagine a perfect world where peace abounds and all is on an even-keel. Where after years of war and misery, earth is now called magnificent. Blissful, right? No, not when beneath this seemingly unblemished surface there lurks a darkness.

In the fine tradition of Fahrenehit 451 and Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Brandt Legg's THE LAST LIBRARIAN serves as an extremely well-written, sci-fi-esque warning to future generations.

In 2098, with bookstores gone, an
Jean
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I have to admit I picked this book up because of the title; that it was science fiction also was a plus. There were nods to Fahrenheit 451, 1984, and Brave New World that were quite appropriate. This quotation sums up much of the book: "More powerful than armies and police, stronger than guns and bombs, words are what change the world, and that is why they’re always a threat to those that rule with corrupt ways."

This concept was also all too real as I read the book on my smartphone: "The AOI tra

• Memoirs of a Time Traveler: Time Amazon - Book 1
  • The Remnant Keeper (Tombs Rising, #1)
  • Birth of the Alliance (The Aliomenti Saga, #4)
  • Lock & Key
  • Anti Life (Anti Life #1)
  • Claus: Legend of the Fat Man (Claus,#1)
  • When the Power Is Gone (A Powerless World #1)
  • The Ark (Children of a Dead Earth, #1)
  • The 28th Gate: Volume 1
  • Emergence (Dark Tide #1)
  • Drifters' Alliance, Book 1 (Drifters' Alliance, #1)
  • Champions of the Dragon (Epic Fallacy, #1)
  • Fall to Earth (Pillars of Fire and Light, #1)
  • Danger's Halo (Holly Danger #1)
  • Clouds of Venus (Free Space trilogy, #1)
  • The Pattern Ship (The Pattern Universe, #1)
  • Ice (Dr. Leah Andrews and Jack Hobson Thrillers, #1)
  • Fallen Star (Project Gauntlet, #1)
USA TODAY Bestselling Author Brandt Legg uses his unusual real life experiences to create page-turning novels. He’s traveled with CIA agents, dined with senators and congressmen, mingled with astronauts, chatted with governors and presidential candidates, had a private conversation with a Secretary of Defense he still doesn’t like to talk about, hung out with Oscar and Grammy winners, had drinks a ...more

The Justar Journal (3 books)
  • The Lost TreeRunner (The Justar Journal #2)
  • The List Keepers (The Justar Journal #3)