Start by marking “Wings of Sorrow” as Want to Read:
Wings of Sorrow

Wings of Sorrow

A captivating fantasy novel that brings the supernatural thrills of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel to a new generation.
Growing up is hell.

Scarlet is a sixteen-year-old girl with no friends living with her single father. The one thing her life has none of is excitement. That’s until she meets a naked stranger beside the lake. Then everything changes.

Scarlet discover
Published October 18th 2015 by SalGad Publishing Group

To ask other readers questions about Wings of Sorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wings of Sorrow

Clumsy Storyteller
May 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
i LOVED this book so much, this is an underappreciated fiction i hope there will be a sequel, it was short thou,i had so many unanswered questions !

Can you imagine waking up one day and going to work, and on your way you meet a naked man lying beside a lake and he turns out to be a demon and he's mission is to protect you and you are not just an ordinary 16 year old, you're a key to unleash a great power of magic on earth ! man i had goosebump just reading it :D, it's been forever since i read
samantha  (books-are-my-life20)
Well I'll give this book one thing, it was quick I read it in like 3 hours.

i went into this book not knowing anything, a friend give me it and said nothing about it.... but I hope she didn't pay to much for it. where do I start? the bad? Or the good? how about the bad since that will take the longest. So first off the pasting was so so off, things that needed to be explained slowly when to quickly. And the thing that the reader figured out about 10 pages before took forever to be confirmed, and
Nev Murray
Oct 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 100-200-read, 2015, 2016
"So, putting my young (forty-seven-year-old) head on and being objective, yes this is a good book. Like I said before, the plot and story line is imaginative and unique in the sense of how it is twisted a little bit. It just didn’t read like an Iain Rob Wright book to me. Even with it being written for a younger audience, I felt the narrative was at times a bit stuttering and not very free flowing. The dialogue at times was a bit over childish for me as well."

See here for the full review:

Wings o
Dana
Aug 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
This audiobook was nice. I liked the idea, when you cannot tell for sure who is good and who is pure evil. I don't see something like that in books. It was kind of refreshing to read. And I really want it to be a series)
Alexa "Naps" Snow
Oct 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Good read page turner

Scarlet is a teenage girl who had her fair share of difficulties. So when her life becomes crazy whirl of good and evil it gets even harder. Finished it in a day, just had to know...
Linda
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
"You are more than just a girl, Scarlet. You are the first magical being born in a millennia, and you have the power to change everything." Generally, words like this will send me running for the hills. I received this book to beta review, however, and I was happy to finish it. Scarlet has found herself in a battle with Good and Evil forces and she needs to fight to save her own life.

I enjoyed this book, which appears to be the first in a series. It is a change of pace coming from Mr. Wright, wh
David Ahearn
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
I usually enjoy his horror novels and honestly did not know this was a young adult story until the end. For a YA fantasy story it was not bad. I thought that some of the dialog was a bit forced, corny at times, but the plot was overall interesting.
Carlos
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first by the author and by how this book went it will not be my last. The story is a great page turner and got better as I went along. Cannot wait for a sequel.
Anthony Creane
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Wings of Sorrow took me by surprise.
Again, it's centred around the town of Redlake and Wright comes up with another fun read... But I wasn't expecting this to be a YA novel - if it's not it certainly reads like one. (Admittedly I haven't read one as such, but the feel of the story and the storytelling just seems to fit that market).
Redlake seems to be an interesting place, but this book (as fun as it was to read) seems to muddle the overall narrative arc for this shared world. I'm all up for cha
Steve
DNF @ 18%, no rating given.

YA is definitely not my ball o' wax, and this book is typical YA. The part that I read wasn't bad, but I'm not the target audience, far from it. I'm thinking that I should have picked a different book as an introduction to Iain Rob Wright. Oh, well.
Roxie Prince
Mar 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Read this review and more on my blog at [Roxie Writes].

'Wings of Sorrow' by Iain Rob Wright
⭐⭐⭐ 3/5
Finished on March 12, 2017
GIVEN PAPERBACK COPY IN HEDREN'S CHEST HORROR BOOK BOX IN EXCHANGE FOR HONEST REVIEW
FREE on Kindle Unlimited | $2.99 on Kindle | $7.99 in Paperback

BOOK DESCRIPTION:
Sixteen-year-old Scarlet has no one but her single father and questions about why her mother left them. She and her father have moved to a new town, and her life is nothing but boring. The highlight of her day is
Matt Hickman
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For Iain's latest offering we return to Redlake. A town that readers of Wright's books will already be aware of. Let me just start by saying that at first, I was unsure whether this story would be my cup of tea. By the end of the book I was totally blown away.

We follow the story of sixteen year old Scarlet Thomas. Scarlet lives with her father, a single parent, following her mother walking out on her own family mysteriously some ten years previous.

They had relocated to Redlake following her dad
BookLoversLife
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've read a few of this author's other books and this is definitely different to his other works but just as good.

Scarlet Thomas and her dad move to Redlake for his work and because it's a new one, her dad is working all hours. Scarlet has no friends yet but has a job in a book store, which she enjoys. While walking home one evening by the lake, she comes across a naked man who seems to have lost his memory. For some reason she takes him home but he disappears when her dad comes home. Next day
*Lily's*
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book :-) I'm all about the angel books. I hope there's a sequel. I was left wanting more. I want to know what happens to our characters, I know there's more there has to be.

I thought it was a cute short story, even though it did take me a bit to finish, I'm in a book slump okay :( :( okay I lied I didn't read this book, I listened to the audio book, it was all liiiieeees, I'm sorry :'( :'( The audio book was told with a British accent, I really liked it and got used
Jennifer Tyler
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not very experienced at writing reviews but as I received this book from the author to read and point out typos etc before publishing I feel I should attempt to write a review
The book focuses on a young girl caught up in a battle between good and evil and magic. I found it easy to read and it held my attention. I managed to read the book in 24 hours.. (No easy task when you work 36 hours and have 3 children) and I enjoyed the read.
I have read other people's reviews on books I was enjoying and
Jennifer Tooker
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure, I was provided with a free copy by the author in exchange for an honest review.

As far as Iain Rob Wright as an author goes, I must also say that I am a fan. I read Seasick (for the first time) a few years back and have been hooked ever since. His newest offering is quite the departure from his previous works, but definitely worth the read!

This is a YA Adventure of Scarlet, a 16 year old girl who recently moved to a new town with no friends to speak of, a dad who loves her and a
Su Ann
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just finished reading Wings of Sorrow by Iain Rob Wright. This author is new to me as well as getting back to reading fantasy/horror/suspense novels. Forgot how the really good ones could scare the bejeezus out of me. This one is really good! I have always maintained that anyone can write "fantasy" novels, but a good writer can make you believe what he has written. When I started reading this book, I was sitting on the couch in my living room. As I progressed further into the book, I found mys ...more
Steve Caldwell
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Scarlett is a 16 year old girl, living with her single father. She is a loner, and her father is clueless how to deal with a teen girl. As she walks home from school one day, she comes across a naked man by the shores of the lake in town. So starts an adventure Scarlet could never have imagined. An angel, for lack of a better term, is hunting her because she has forbidden power, even if she doesnt know it. The naked man, who Scarlet names Sorrow, is actually a "demon" sent to protect her and mak ...more
Jorge
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Wings of Sorrow by Iain Rob Wright is a story about love. And not in the romantic sense.
I think this story has to do with the love Scarlet has for her father.
It's a novel about being a teenager, with no friends and with the burden of being abandoned by her mother.
As if this wasn't enough, one day she has a strange encounter with a man whose sole purpose is to keep her safe... from the forces of light. Not long after this encounter, the person sent to eliminate Scarlet finds her and the persecuti
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

When I read the book summary, I was really put off. I thought 'Oh no, not another Twilight thingy'. I expected a horrible teenage story with lots of romance and little creativity. I WAS SO WRONG!
Basically, the story is about a teenager who finds out that she is 'The Spark', a magical being who will someday destroy the world (a bit like Hellboy but without the horns ;)
Consequently, she is pursued by an angel-like being who tries
William Bitner Jr.
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Just finished reading “Wings of Sorrow”, by Iain Rob Wrightt, a horror fantasy. Well, things just got stranger and weirder in Redlake, but that seem to be the norm for that place. It’s a battle between good and evil, where it's hard to tell which side is good and which side is evil, or is it that evil is good and good is evil?... And, it looks like it will continue to get stranger and weirder...and that’s a wonderful thing. Another great read by a great writer.

Synopsis: Growing up is hell.

Scarle
Lexa Cain
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This novella sneaks up on you. It starts with an interesting premise and great characters, and then it keeps getting more exciting until suddenly it grabs you and won’t let go. Every time I had to go do something and couldn’t read, I got so annoyed. I desperately wanted to know what was going to happen to Scarlet and Sorrow next.

And the villain—wow, what a frightening and vivid character! Kind of a cross between the Terminator and an archangel. And it’s that striking conflict that makes this nov
Matthew
Shelves: children-ya, horror
Not What I Expected, But A Good Read Nonetheless

Wings of Sorrow was my introduction to Mr. Wright's work. While I'm not a "Young Adult" by a long shot I really enjoyed the story as my taste in literature leans toward sci-fi , fantasy, and horror for the most part.

What I mean by not what I expected was that I hadn't expected the book to be geared toward the YA audience as I had glossed over the spoiler notes in the beginning and plunged right in. That, however, did little to deter me from devouri
Ami
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a different way to look at a fantasy world than any other I have read. It kept me up until 5am. I had to finish it because when I tried to go to sleep I kept trying to guess what might happen in the next chapter.

Sorry I can't leave any details because I don't want to spoil it for you. Three things I think you need to know though: 1-there is violence in this book, in case this is a decision maker for you 2-I received this book as a gift from the author but a review was not required and d
John Grathwol
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ABSOLUTELY LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!
Let me begin by saying I received this as an ARC from the author and I am so glad I did. I could not put this book down and now that I am finished I want more. PLEASE write another!?!
The characters of Scarlett and Sorrow are so well written you will fall in love with them. And Sorrow is a demon. A lovable, dorky,hard fighting, lost memory demon. The plot is fantastic and keeps you glued to the pages. It's your basic good vs evil but the good is ruthless and the bad
PJ Lea
Oct 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A teen girl who finds out the hard way that she's not quite who she thought she was.
Fast paced and descriptive, very gory in places too. The story had me gripped from the beginning, with no clues as to how it would all pan out in the end.
Multidimensional characters that are not quite what they are expected to be, I enjoyed reading about them all.
I hope there will be a sequel to answer the questions we are left with.
*This was an ARC. My views are my own.*
Donna Fitzpatrick
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Full disclosure, I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. And though I'm a big fan of Iain Rob Wright's horror novels, I don't usually enjoy fantasy, especially YA fantasy. But I loved this book! The characters are likeable, the fantasy premise is believable, and the pace of the story builds and builds to an awesome conclusion. One that leaves you wanting to know more about what happens to these characters.
Kimberly Trivette
Not your ordinary teenager

Iain has done it again folks!! Each book I read gets better.
Scarlet Thomas is not your ordinary teenager. These coming of age times are supposed to be delightful, exciting. For her, with a tremendous duty, and demons watching her every move, I would say this is her most dreadful time.
This will keep you on the edge of your seat. Never a dull moment in this household.
Andre
Oct 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Iain Rob Wright is becoming one of my favorite authors, and I really liked this book. Wings of Sorrow is a very nicely done YA tale, well paced with no boring moments. It's a nice twist on the Good vs Evil dilemma, specially when the protagonist finds herself on the Evil side of things. The characters were decently fleshed out, although I would have liked to get to know a bit more about them. Still, a fine book added to the many great works by Iain Rob Wright.
Tonia  Clifton
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Intense. this book was wow for me. SO much unexpected things happening. A lot confusing, and for a time, when the explanations were being given I got a little bored. but it read like a history book to me and i hate those lol. Overall the book was fantastic, and it seems like it set up for another. so I hope there is another, I would love to see where it goes.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Iain Rob Wright is one of the UK's most successful horror and suspense writers, with novels including the critically acclaimed, THE FINAL WINTER; the disturbing bestseller, ASBO; and the wicked screamfest, THE HOUSEMATES.

His work is currently being adapted for graphic novels, audio books, and foreign audiences. He is an active member of the Horror Writer Association and a massive animal lover.

Chec