Start by marking “A New Day (StrikeForce #1)” as Want to Read:
A New Day (StrikeForce #1)

A New Day

(StrikeForce #1)

Superheroes exist. Driven, honest, courageous… true heroes. They live among us, and all over the world, they save lives. Their stories are told in hushed tones to rapt audiences, over and over again, myths of epic proportions.

This is not that kind of story.

Jolene Faraday is the girl next door, the type of woman who will babysit your kids or lend you twenty bucks when you g
Published November 17th 2015 by Peitho Press

To ask other readers questions about A New Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A New Day

Sherwood Smith
Ordinarily I don't go much for superhero stories--they are mostly bash'n'brawn, the villains boring in their unrelenting evilness.

But this book caught me right off, beginning with our heroine, Jolene, who is no superhero. She's a thief, a girl from a bad part of Detroit stealing from the rich to pay for college and for her mother's insanely high medical costs. And for helping her neighbors.

When she gets superpowers, she falls into a whole new world, in which the good guys and the bad guys are no
Colleen Vanderlinden
Oct 19, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Here we go, guys... ;)
Wyrdness
Dec 26, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: superheroes
I'm going to give this 3.5 stars because though I enjoyed it there was a certain rough around the edges quality that made me think it could have done with just one more editing pass (some spelling mistakes and a few minor time slips, nothing most people wouldn't overlook though). I also had the weirdest sensation whilst reading this that it was teetering right on the edge of going from a good read to a great one, but it never quite tipped over for me and I'm not really sure why.

I found the writi
Susan
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
She's done it again! This time it's super heroes. Hell yes, super heroes! Characters that you'll love and ones you'll really hate. I immediately loved Jolene. She can kick ass! Girl power all the way! And I'm looking forward to more Killjoy and Jolene time.
Rebecca
this was pretty fun to read.
Vicki Ramirez
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, the cover of this book made me think twice about reading it. Really? Superheros emerge from after storms? Totally not the type of book I think I'm going to buy and love. I love Collen Vanderlinden's other series, so why not give this one a try? SO happy I did! I ended up having a binge read of the whole series and it left me wanting to read more.

The story revolves around Jolene Faraday, an average girl trying to keep things together to support her struggling mother. Average, if you think co
Nicki K.
An awesome, completely original superhero novel. I am absolutely smitten with the main characyer, and admire her so much. This book is all about situations not being as black and white as they seem, and standing up for what you believe in. While this book may have ended poorly, it was truly a great book. I would highly recommend this book to superhero fans. Especially those who love strong, smart, and morally complicated heroines.

4/5
Art (Posting elsewhere as Whistler Reads)
BOUGHT THE REST OF THE SERIES, ALL AT ONCE!!!

What a great take on the accidental Superhero ...
Matthew
it was a quick, overall pleasant read about a somewhat disappointing antihero who stands up for what is right (most of the time). Lots of swearing.
MKenfield21
I've decided that 2/5 is the maximum rating I will give to a book in which people who ought to be killed are not.

A New Day starts off well enough, but ends on a pretty frustrating note.
Heather Henkel
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

I really enjoyed reading this book about a superhero that really didn't want to be one in the first place.
Sarah Leenart
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colleen Vanderlinden has proved once again what a talented author she is. This is another completely new series from her, different again from anything before but with all the same hallmarks I've come to expect, quality writing, a gripping plot, fantastic world building and finally the thing that puts her at the top of my favourites list, characters you completely take to your heart. I completely devoured this in one sitting, another knock out hit.

Jolene is not your every day sort of hero, she h
Kristen
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really liked this series. It's something you don't read everyday. I mean, a book about superheroes? This book was written flawlessly that it all makes sense too which is a huge bonus. You don't want to read a book that sounds wrong and makes you go "this is NOT believable."

It's simply about a thief with a good heart who's also good at stealing while a time where the world is going through phases that affect the world's environment. Earthquakes, thunderstorms, and more. For some reason, each ph
Jo Dawson
Strike Force is just an awesome read. Kudos for Colleen Vanderlinden, this new series is a completely new genre for her and she’s laid it out masterfully. The protagonist, Jolene, is the ultimate anti-hero. She’s bad for good reasons, and good for the reasons that should matter despite the status quo. This is definitely a kick-ass, modern-day, accidental Robin Hood with an attitude.

I love how Colleen has laid the foundation for an awesome start to Jolene and the world of Detroit’s supernatural s
Matt King
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A New Day was exactly what I've been looking for: a superhero story that isn't afraid to break some of the established (tired) rules of the genre while still staying true to its roots. Jolene is a breath of fresh air. Can't wait to read more about her, and that's the best compliment I can give. There's a rich world built up here and it's a world I'm looking forward to revisiting again soon. So, so good.
Marley
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Colleen Vanderlinden is amazing. Her characters are fun, real and there is always fun fight action shaking things up. StrikeForce is badass (the book, not the organization...yet)! I can't wait to read more. I also want to hang out with Jolene (good thing you keep her and Molly apart LOL they would rule the world!). Highly recommended!
Stephanie
4.5 Stars!
I really enjoyed this book. The superhero aspect at first really turned me off but after making a promise to a friend to read it, I'm disappointed I hadn't read it earlier! I'm anxious to see the romance evolve as there wasn't much in this book though you can definitely tell it's heading in that direction (I'm a sucker for romance). Onto the next one!
Chris
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once past the language...

I almost quit due to language, but thankfully it gets past shock mode to actual story. The romance is very 'femaley', and it's not exactly a surprise ending. It's enjoyable, I'll read the next one.
M.L.
Nov 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: superheroes
This is kind of a short an average superhero novel featuring a female lead. The tale is rather short, and we see only a slice of the setting, which is a bit disappointing. Hopefully the next books will be more ambitious in terms of length and scope.
Robin Strauss
It started slow for me. I didn't love the stealing from rich people justification/Robinhood shtick. But it got better in the end and I liked the 9 to 5 reference. I liked the other characters better than Jolene. I might give the next book a try because I think it could go in a good direction.
David Harriss
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid First

Pretty good, lots of potential.
Solid characters, nice plot, witty banter. Pacing is an issue, and I found it detached which limited my emotional investment in scenes.

It lays an excellent foundation for the setting and future stories.
Thom Rowe
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for Jolene

A truly fresh superhero who stands out from the crowd. Jolene is a 4D character created to be loved. I'm starting the next book right now!
Sarah Austin
This was a solid good 3.5 stars. It was a little slow in places but I will be reading the next one for sure.
Jada Bailey
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was a little leery of a "superhero" series but God I love every single book by this author. I'd write a longer, better review but I have to go read Strikeforce #2 now.
Kandis
Nov 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved DayStar!

This was fantastic and I couldn't put it down. It just pulled me in and wouldn't let go. I am so looking forward to more! This is going to be a great series!
Jil A. Richards
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Lord of the Clans
  • The Tithe
  • The Truth About Fragile Things
  • A Thousand Salt Kisses (Salt Kisses, #1)
  • Lost in La La Land
  • Unchained
  • Bauldr's Tears: A Retelling of Loki's Fate
  • A Beautiful Fate
  • Flower Among the Ashes
  • Thief (Fairy Tale Bad Boys #3)
  • The Kingdom of Eternal Sorrow (The Golden Mage, #1)
  • Vigilant
  • Banish My Heart (The Grimm Laws #1-2)
  • Disowned  (Allegiance #1)
  • Claiming the Prince:  Book One
  • The Frog Prince
  • Courage and Other Demons
  • Belvedor and the Four Corners
Colleen Vanderlinden is the author of the Hidden and Hidden: Soulhunter urban fantasy series, as well as the Copper Falls paranormal romance series.

The her novels Home, Nether, and Godkiller have all been finalists for RT Book Reviews’ Reviewers Choice Awards for best self-published urban fantasy novel. Her books have consistently received positive reviews, and RT Book Reviews has called her stor

StrikeForce (4 books)
  • One More Day (StrikeForce #2)
  • Darkest Day (StrikeForce, #3)
  • Day's End (StrikeForce, #4)