Start by marking “Perfect State” as Want to Read:
Perfect State

Perfect State

From the author of Legion and the #1 New York Times bestselling Stormlight Archive comes an action-filled novella about privilege, culture clash, and expectations.

God-Emperor Kairominas is lord of all he surveys. He has defeated all foes, has united the entire world beneath his rule, and has mastered the arcane arts. He spends his time sparring with his nemesis, who keeps
Audible Audio, Unabridged
Published October 13th 2015 by Audible Studios (first published March 31st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Perfect State, please sign up.
Evgeni Kirilov It is not. As a rule of thumb, if it mentions Earth, it's not Cosmere - and this one does mention it.
Ali
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lindsey Rey
LOVE LOVE LOVE! I recommend this for fans of Ready Player One and people who like Meta fiction.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans) by: Robin (Bridge Four)
Short story, long review. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Dear slightly deranged members of the Sanderson Cult: see my rating up there? To think you wouldn't believe me when I repeatedly told you I wasn't completely hopeless! So ha! to you, QED, and all that. Too be honest, before I reached the 50% mark I thought I would go for a 3-star rating (← you did NOT just read this, dear slightly deranged Cult Members) but Sophie the second half of the story was pretty awesome so I went for 4 stars inste
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
4.5 stars. I reread this novella today, because I wanted to compare it to Sanderson's latest alternative reality novella, Snapshot. Final review, first posted on www.FantasyLiterature.com. Note: one major spoiler in the fourth paragraph of this review, but I haven't tagged it because it occurs so soon, on about page 10.

Kairominas has conquered the entire world … or at any rate, what constitutes “his” world, where his magical powers, called “Lancing,” enables him to do almost everything except co
Bradley
Taking the holographic universe to very logical conclusions, or at least just adding a new spin to the Matrix, I thought this was a fairly interesting read only made better by the end message.

No spoilers, but it's kinda obvious from the start what the tale is about. It's telegraphed pretty heavily.

Still, there's a lot of great things about the novella, with good worldbuilding, a wide and sweeping grandiosity of scenes and settings that really makes this shine.

So what if I find the main characte
Nimrod Daniel
First, I'd mention that it was totally different than what I had expected. You may think the story deals with a God-Emperor and his equal from another world, but that's not entirely correct (I won't say more than that :) ).

The characters are nice, the dialogues are somewhat witty,and the idea of the simulation is interesting and thought provoking. But unfortunately that's all the good things that I can say about this story. I think dealing with the simulation could have been done better, because
Robin (Bridge Four)
God-Emperor Kairominas in 300 years has mastered everything in his world, well except weather but given another 50 years he’ll conquer that too. Now he has been informed by the powers that be that he must procreate. You’re probably thinking ‘hey if he is a God-Emperor who are these powers that be that can tell a God Emperor what to do’. Hahaha that is little twist #1 Kairominas lives in a simulated world.

After 300 years of simulation he has pretty much run out of things to do. He has a concept f
Gavin
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This was an awesome novella. It had all the the elements that make Sanderson's epic fantasy series so entertaining. The fantastic world building, the likeable characters, the amusing banter between the characters, and the fascinating plot that never fails to surprise!

In a distant future overcrowding on earth has lead to the majority of humanity living as little more than brains in a jar. The minds of such people live in virtual reality worlds tailored to their fantasies and populated by AI's. G
edge of bubble
My very first 5 stars rating for a novella! I wouldn't believe that it was possible for me to enjoy one that wasn't a part of a series this much. I loved everything about this awesome baby novel *except the audio part. with that one, I am annoyed on the outside while secretly admiring it inside. you need to listen the narrator say expectations to get my fruitcake attitude about it*.
Mike
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am constantly impressed by the seeming ease at which Sanderson is able to blend disparate ideas, genres, and settings together and then deliver something with the emotional impact of a full length novel in a novella I finished in about an hour. Perfect State does all that and more firmly cementing Sanderson's status in my mind as either being a robot, having a bunch of writers chained up in his basement, or being a trafficker with unnatural forces.

Decartes struggled with the idea that we could
Karl
In Brandon Sanderson's book/novella titled "Perfect State" Mr. Sanderson bridges a number of different genres. At first he places the reader into a fantasy realm where an all powerful emperor named Kai has ruled for three hundred years and brought peace to his kingdom.

As it turns out Kai is the only human born in his kingdom, everyone else is a construct (think "The Matrix") we learn that Kai is only a brain living in a jar and the "controllers" of his existence want him to procreate as part of
*Thea 'Wookiee'sMama' Wilson*
I'm a little gobsmacked upon finishing this novella to tell you the truth..... in a good way though!

This was first taste of Sanderson's work and it WILL NOT be the last either as a found Perfect State to be immensely enjoyable, quirky but nevertheless a fantastic little read, a nice little nibble at the man's work.

The idea for the story was unusual, yet engrossing and intriguing. The characters were realistic and understandable despite the works short length and their obviously limited depth.

All
Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~
I really love this trend with some of Sanderson's short stories that deals with altered reality & simulations. I don't know where he keeps this crazy stockpile of ideas, but it's safe to say he's hogging all the genius.

With this story and Snapshot, Sanderson shows his ability to step out of the High Fantasy genre & edge into Science Fiction. This is one of those stories that has great potential to be expanded, but it was a satisfying glimpse into an awesome concept!
Kogiopsis

Congratulations, Brandon, on almost writing a sex scene!*

(*as someone who wouldn't feel comfortable doing so myself, I don't see anything wrong with choosing not to write sex, but he's been edging closer and closer to it for years and this is a distinct step forward so. confetti.)

Perfect State was... solid? I'm not sure how else to describe it: it met my expectations, based on its length and the bit that was read aloud at a signing some months ago. I did, however, have trouble with the basic con
Kells Next Read
Wow!!! That ending was intense. Loved it all the same.
Althea Ann
Hmm, I expected to like this one more than I did. It was decent, I just wasn't blown away.

Our protagonist, Kai is the emperor of the world. Of course, his position is put into perspective when we learn that this is a Matrix-like future. Humans are now brains in vats, each individual given a whole virtual world of their own, peopled by AIs and uniquely tailored to their own individual personality.

However, since the truth is revealed when a person comes 'of age' at fifty, and life expectancy is i
Brent
Apr 02, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, kindle, fantasy
This was the first Sanderson story I have read and I liked it okay.

I like the idea of a virtual fantasy setting but I feel it could have used a little more science fiction detail to really sell it. The technology seems just as vague and magical as the the magic it is supposed to explain.

Having said that, I felt that the story did start to take off once Sophie was introduced.

To any one who enjoyed this story, I would recommend Walter Jon Williams's Implied Spaces which approaches a similar conce
Phrynne
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It takes a very talented author to present a satisfyingly complete story set in a whole new world in only 71 pages but in this novella Brandon Sanderson does exactly that. The man is brilliant! Even his characters are presented with enough information for the reader to know and care for them. No information dumps (no time for them) just the right amount of detail imparted where necessary and always as part of the narrative. Of course as with any good novella the reader is left wanting more. A fo ...more
Kaitlin
I read this as part of the #BooktubeSFF Awards Shortlist and it was one of the few Sanderson shorts that I'd not yet got to. I have to say that as this is not a Cosmere story I wasn't sure what we'd be getting but I'd class this much more as sci fi than fantasy (which isn't a bad thing).

This story follows a character as he rules over his world as Emperor. It's set in a time when Earth is overcrowded and so many people are kept in alternate 'states' Where they live among simulations and can rule
Desinka
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was perfect!
A perfect story, perfect characters and a perfect ending. Just Perfect Sanderson:)
Skylar Phelps
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool stuff. It has a great science fiction feel to it and a very intriguing setting that leaves you wishing there were about 500 more pages.
Lots of bantering dialogue, humor, pondering questions, and even a little action and surprise all stuffed into a remarkably small package.
Scott  Hitchcock
I don't think I've ever given something this short 5*'s but Sanderson delivered. Very thought provoking, original and a twist at the end I didn't see coming.
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
How does he...What the... I cannot even...
Brandon, your brain is a treasure.

description
Trevor
A very solid, although very short novella filled with interesting ideas - which is per the usual for Sanderson. My biggest gripe is how rushed it felt. With all the concepts being dived into, I feel that this could have easily been a hundred pages longer, if not more. Character development was also a little weak, because again, there just wasn't enough time to get attached.

The twists were good though and the system behind the main character's world (worlds) is a really cool, matrix-y idea. I wou
Mark Morabito
2.5 Stars
Awesome worldbuilding, awkward plot

Being a big fan of Brandon Sanderson's other work, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this novella. However....I feel like I'm missing something here.

The worldbuilding was awesome and I really wanted to spend time reading about adventures in this place. Unfortunately, the plot was unfulfilling and answered none of the questions I felt a reader would want to know. And, without going into spoilers, I feel the final twist invalidates the necessity of the
Paul
I liked this novella by Brandon Sanderson because it reminded me of how much I used to live my life in MMOs. I believe there is a strong connection between this story and individuals that live their life online. Achievements with video games are a lot like Kai and his achievements in his own State. In fact, with simulation games being as they are now days, I can see this "play as a god" type of system being a big seller.

I think that Kai's revelation for something more deep and meaningful is kin
Joel
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, definitely a change of pace and writing style for Sanderson (The phrase "sexy as hell" was uttered by the protagonist). Overall a very interesting concept that could make for an interesting full length novel - I was not all that entertained, however, for most of it. The ending caught me a bit by surprise though, and I would say that ended up bumping up the rating for me. A nice change of pace.
Paige  Bookdragon
I have to slap someone.I wasn't informed about this!!!!
Tosh
Received this for Christmas...another of his duel story editions with Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell on the opposite side, which I was able to read in Dangerous Women.

Another fun read from the master himself, complete with a nice little twist. The end left an opening for a potential sequel, which I will gladly read if he finds the time to write it.
TS Chan
Mar 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fantastical does not mean primitive

A bit different from the usual Sanderson and I like it a lot. This is not a Cosmere story, however, and it touches both sci-fi and fantasy in a semi-Matrix spin. An entertaining short read with an interesting theme around reality and existence. Of course, no Sanderson novel or novella is complete without a twist to the end.
Sarah Merrill
It was a fun quick read. Interesting world and the ending was a fun surprise. Eh, don't know, just wasn't my favorite though.

• Servant of the Crown (Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • Kiss Me Twice
  • Sunset Mantle
  • Big Boys Don't Cry
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • Altered Perceptions
  • The Angelus Guns
  • Burning Girls
  • Of Sorrow and Such
  • The Last Witness
  • Unlocked: An Oral History of Haden's Syndrome (Lock In, #0.5)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S
“It does strange things to you to realize that the conservative establishment is forcing you to be a progressive liberal fighter for universal rights.” 9 likes
“A person needed to experience real danger or they would never find joy in excelling. There had to be a risk of failure, the chance to die.” 7 likes