Start by marking “Before the Full Moon Rises” as Want to Read:
Before the Full Moon Rises

Before the Full Moon Rises

(Chronicles of the Secret Prince #1)

Librarian Note: this is an alternate cover edition for ASIN: B00H3QXCDQ.

Deston Lespérance grew up believing faeries and monsters are just stories told to children at bedtime. However, when his mother mysteriously vanishes and he stumbles into the mystical realm of Tir na-nÓg, he discovers the shocking truth that not only are these beings real, they hold the key to his futu
Published October 2015 by MTB Publishing (first published May 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Before the Full Moon Rises, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Before the Full Moon Rises

Allana Kephart
Originally posted on Girls *Heart* Books

Before the Full Moon Rises is the first book in the Chronicles of the Secret Prince series by M.J. Bell. The novel is written from the third-person and focuses on our hero, Deston Lespérance. Now, I am not going to bore you with details (my god, read the book if you want to know what it's about) so I am going to jump straight into the gushing part of the review.

Anyone who reads this blog knows I am the single pickiest person in the world when it comes to b
Maggie Thom
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite an adventure. Deston, a teenage boy, has had a rough go, his mom disappeared and he ended up in the foster system. Then he gets told he’s going to France to live with a relative, where he doesn’t speak the language and doesn’t know anyone, not even the relative. The only thing he is sure about is that his mom is alive, even though others are telling him she’s not. He soon learns though that everything he thought and all that he thinks he knows isn’t true.

Deston soon enters a world of magic
Marty Banks
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great YA fantasy that starts what promises to be an incredible three-book trilogy. I read this first book and immediately went on to the second book (Once Upon a Darker Time). From the taut opening scene when we meet the beast Grossard, I was hooked. Family secrets, blooming friendship and a fantasy world that reads as rich and real. Bell is an excellent writer who makes you feel as if you're right in the action.
Brandyeli
Feb 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: oh-so-amazing
MJ Bell has a strength for character development that shows right from the start with the MC, Deston, a young teenager just placed into foster care. His complaining, fears and focus are very believable for a boy of his age. It is just like opening a door to a real teenager's life. Margaux is Deston's "companion" throughout the book and the two of them have a relationship that is full of awkwardness and the norm in this age group--speaking before you think.

The mysteriousness of the plot trickles
Kj Partridge
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deston has absolutely no clue who or what he is, all he knows is his mom disappeared and he got dumped into the foster care system. Now he is being sent to France because a long lost relative has spoken up. When he arrives he meets NiNi and the weirdness starts there. When he goes to the village he meets Margaux when he helps save her brother from bullies. He meets an elderly man who gives him a gift and disappears. He wants to explore the forest but is warned to stay away since the forest is da ...more
Eszter
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have received my copy of Before the full moon rises through Goodreads First Reads, and again thanks for it!

This really was a lovely tale of adventure, friendship and bravery. I enjoyed following Deston during his journey to save his mom and a complete new world he didn't even know about. It was exciting and funny, especially the fights between Deston and Margaux. I also liked the fairy world with its mythical and beautiful creatures.
My only observation is that at the beginning it started rath
Tiffany
Jan 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is truly amazing. The author painted such an amazing picture of this world, it is hard to believe it is fictional. I love all of the characters (even the villian) and I love how you are able to relate to Deston, the main character. This book is full of adventure and suspense and is a great read for any age. My 7 year old son is even excited to read it! I cannot wait until the next book in the series comes out. I want to get sucked into the world all over again with Deston and all of hi ...more
Jennie Marts
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! I thoroughly enjoyed this fantastical mysterious adventure with all of its unexpected twists and turns. The characters came alive and the story moved at a quick pace, keeping me wondering how it was going to turn out. Bell has created an adventure story that would suit elementary through high school with a little bit for every age group. What a great start to a trilogy. I can’t wait to read the next one!
Sharon Hughson
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was somewhat disappointed in the writing of this book. Point of view shifted from one character to another on a single page. This distracted me.
Some of Deston's responses were over the top. This is definitely a book for age 11-14.
I had to give it 4 stars because I kept reading to find out the secrets and the resolution. It really felt like a combination of King Arthur and fae books like Iron King, not like am original story idea.
Tiegan Ziegler
I had the great pleasure of meeting M.J. Bell at Denver Comic Con 2017 and buying her Chronicles of the Secret Prince series. I have finally read the first book - I know.. but as a librarian I get really distracted and it takes me a while to get through all the books I want to read. I think this series is a good fit for middle grade readers who enjoy some fantasy and want something a little different. I do not come across many books that feature the fae or Tir na-nOg, and that really stood out f ...more
Pete Aldin
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful YA novel. This would definitely have been a book I'd be reading to or with my boys when they were 10-12 years old but I can imagine teenagers enjoying it too.
The first half sets up the novel, the series and the characters who'll populate them. As with many YA classics, our main heroes are boy-out-of-place and feisty female, while the villains have powers AND motivation.
The second half explodes into action as Denton is brought face to face with the truth of his origin and heritage b
Dinnl
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. It is OK but a bit on the childish side for me. Not the young adult lit I expected.
Elaine White
Plot – good kid's story
Characters – interesting and relateable

Movie Potential - ★★★☆☆ (not sure how they'd do it. It would be very intricate)
Ease of reading – very easy to read
Cover - ✔
Suitable Title - ✔
Would I read it again – Not sure.

** I WAS GIVEN THIS BOOK, BY THE AUTHOR, IN RETURN FOR AN HONEST REVIEW **

Plot

I'm on the fence about this one and I can't explain why. I'm somewhere between a 3.5 and a 4 star, but I've rounded up to the 4 because I think kids (between 10 and 15) will love it.

My m
Trudi Jorda
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I should never to get book one in a series -- but I would recommend this book to any lover of fantasy!
Cheryl (I Heart Fictional People)
In Before the Full Moon Rises, the first book in the Chronicles of the Secret Prince, by M.J. Bell, young teenager Deston loses his mother after she disappears, and he has no idea what happened to her. He is sent clear across the world to live with a distant relative of his mother’s who he has never met. While exploring the forest near his new home, he discovers the realm of Tir na-nÓg, where faeries and monsters are very real. With his new friend, Margaux, Deston uncovers the truth about his mo ...more
Charlene
Mar 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely a book for adolescents.

The story is a great way for youth to spend a weekend. It contains all the adventure and excitement one could wish for, exploring new places, meeting new people, suspense, and high adventure set in a fantastic reality. Hopefully the young person will identify with adults and experience the frustration of dealing with a youth who will not listen.
Erin Holman
I'm not the right audience.

I really enjoy a lot of YA lit, but this felt like a chore. The characters were stiff and unbelievable, and the plot felt forced. Lots of editing errors, too. Honestly, I skimmed the last 80 percent because I felt like I HAD to finish it. However, based on the number of great reviews this book has gotten, I'd take mine with more than a grain of salt. Still, I won't be reading any more in the series.
Andie
Jan 29, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good YA book

I enjoyed the main characters in the book. Destin ands Marguex seem like typical preteens, especially in their awkward interactions with each other. However, the pacing is a bit uneven and some characters abandoned.
Deb
Feb 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this fairytale brought to modern times which includes Deston searching for his mother, hearing about his father, finding out he is not quite human, moving to France from Pennsylvania and run-ins with ogres, bats, wolves and mist. Boys and girls will like this book. Grades 5 - 8
Tammy Meyers
Nov 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great fairytale with a bit of a different twist

a very good story of good versus evil and a happily ever after. a bit long but worth the read
Teri Southerland
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the book

I would have like a little more of the ending. How was MiNi what happened to her etc....how did the little girl get on with her new family
v.geniebrown
Aug 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great

I am writing this while the next book downloads ,I love this story! I'm very excited to read #2 this has been a delightful read.
Lilli Sheen
Sep 13, 2016
Jama
rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2018

• Resistance (The Dolan Prophecies Series, #1)
  • The Last Condo Board of the Apocalypse (Kelly Driscoll #1)
  • Rewound
  • The Reapers (My Demonic Ghost, #2)
  • Dark Corner
  • I'm Nobody
  • Tales of the Far West
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Greyhawk Classics, #5)
  • Mabel Gray and the Wizard Who Swallowed the Sun (The Mabel Gray Adventures, #1)
  • Bad Ass Faeries
  • Billy: Messenger of Powers (Billy Jones, #1)
  • Dead and Beloved
  • The Forgotten Secret
  • The Witch Hunter's Gauntlet (Age of Heroes, #1)
  • Toxics (The Old World Series, #1)
  • Mariah Mundi and the Ghost Diamonds (Mariah Mundi, #2)
  • Colin McCool and the Vampire Dwarf
  • Blood Roots

Chronicles of the Secret Prince (2 books)
  • Once Upon a Darker Time (Chronicles of the Secret Prince, #2)