Start by marking “Stronger Than Dirt: How One Urban Couple Grew a Business, a Family, and a New Way of Life from the Ground Up” as Want to Read:

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  41 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The most farming Kim Schaye and Chris Losee had ever done was a roof garden on top of their Brooklyn townhouse. They got a great gazpacho out of it, but as Kim said, "It's a giant leap from scoring a bowl of soup to earning a living."But not an impossible leap, as we discover in Stronger Than Dirt, Kim and Chris's delightfuL account, told in alternating "he said, she said" ...more
Published April 22nd 2003 by Three Rivers Press

To ask other readers questions about Stronger Than Dirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stronger Than Dirt

Kat
Jun 10, 2011 rated it liked it
I really connected with the story and felt drawn into their lives as they left NYC to start a farm. I have a dream of keeping a homestead someday, so I enjoyed reading about the ins and outs of the work they needed to do to keep things running and their connection to their land and new business.

It was charming, though it's certainly not for everyone.
lee lee
Oct 24, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: memoir, 2011, biz-sense
The writing of this book--both the style and the voice (of which there are two)--is very straightforward, more journalistic than memoir. It's not my personal cup o' tea, but I can appreciate that it's intentional. The story itself is very inspiring, but it doesn't make me want to be a farmer! It did increase my desire to find my own life's calling. Where, oh where can it be?
Cathy
May 29, 2007 rated it really liked it
Definitely aggravated the itch for a simpler life! It was great to read about the honest struggle of an everyday couple making their dreams come true through hard work, lots of sweat and lots of sacrifice.
Lisa
Sep 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
This got me wanting to start some seeds indoors early. I skipped doing this last year but I have the craving to break out my seed box and start planning for my kitchen garden harvest NOW. A great story about having a dream and going for it (the good and the bad).
Lain
Dec 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Cute he says-she says story about urban couple who's had enough of the rat race and buys land to start farming in upstate NY. Shares trials and tribulations of starting a farm - it's not all roses! A little heavy on the details of construction but still a sweet story and easy to read.
Elizabeth
May 30, 2007 marked it as to-read
looks good!
Tiffany
Aug 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: gardeners
This was a great book. I recommend it to any gardener who is contimplating making a career change into the agribusiness industry. Leaves you feeling hopeful.
Carrie
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book was ok, may interest people more excited about gardening. The beginning is awfully boring with the guy building the house, but gets somewhat better around the 2nd third of the book.
Deidre
Mar 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Farmers market cut flowers business. More farming less construction details.
Kristen
Jun 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book was a big inspiration for me starting my store.
Kelly