What do you think?
Rate this book
330 pages, Hardcover
First published March 28, 2017
I am convinced that in many, many ways—buoyancy included—I am a Czech dumpling.And it’s not only the narration that’s funny. Other secondary characters have grown a lot since we last saw them.
“Come out, Ben. It’s an option. Consider your options, Ben.”This was hands down the best thing I’ve read in 2017. TOBY. TRYING TO SEND BEN A MESSAGE. SUMBLIMALLY. FROM HIS CLOSET. TELLING HIM TO COME OUT.
This was no radiator talking. These were words, and they were definitely coming from my closet. I leapt up and grabbed the first object I could find, a history textbook that had lived on my desk all break long. It was large and heavy with the history of the world. I poised myself outside the shut closet door, hefting the book over my head as if it were a weapon. My voice trembled.
“What the hell? Who the hell is in there?”
“Um, go back to sleep, Ben. Never mind—”
There’s something delightful about the idea of dressing up for dinner and sitting in assigned seats in the dining hall, like back in the days of yore, or at Hogwarts.Although, they might be sort of misplaced. There aren’t really assigned seats in Hogwarts, but I’ll let it pass.
As I felt myself sagging into sleep, I realized it didn’t matter right now. He was a friend. He was a friend who cared enough to be there for me when I needed it and I was grateful.ALSO: BEN AND RAFE. #otp
- Misogyny is so pervasive that the idea of being associated with female behavior freaks guys out. I think that it says something interesting about men that they love women so deeply and yet hold them in such low esteem.
- What if your limit is unacceptable to you?
- Complicated is often good. It’s when things get narrowed to the lowest common denominator—hate, fear—that society gets into trouble. The Nazis were the opposite of complicated.
- We change. We keep changing. We won’t be finished products ’til the day we die.
- “He’ll get special treatment too,” Zack continued. “Just watch.”
“Yup,” Mendenhall said. “The freaks always get special treatment. Meanwhile, the normal people get fucked, of course.”
I held the ball and turned to Mendenhall.
“Are you really serious right now?” I asked.
He shrugged. “Why wouldn’t I be?”
“Do you have any idea what privilege is?”
He rolled his eyes. “I’m sure you’ll tell me, Professor.”
I shook my head. “You’re an asshole. You think he’s lucky to be gender fluid at an all-boys school? That has to be the hardest thing I can imagine.”
- I think that expressing fear was expressing the truth. And it’s hard to express the truth when the world wants you to be someone else.
- When we choose the easy path, where people or society reward us for being what they want us to be, against who we really are, a kind of death occurs. To the soul.
- "I support your lifestyle, by the way. People have the right to choose whatever lifestyle they want.”
“There are so many things wrong with that sentence,”
- If you live outside a box, everyone gets all freaked out and tries to put you in one.