Start by marking “Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)” as Want to Read:
Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)

Honestly Ben

(Openly Straight #2)

Ben Carver is back to normal. He’s getting all As in his classes at the Natick School. He was just elected captain of the baseball team. He’s even won a big scholarship for college, if he can keep up his grades. All that foolishness with Rafe Goldberg last semester is over now, and he just needs to be a Carver, work hard, and stay focused.

Except…

There’s Hannah, a gorgeous
Published March 28th 2017 by Arthur A. Levine Books

To ask other readers questions about Honestly Ben, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
alberto enguerra
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Kai
Jun 24, 2016 rated it liked it
"We change. We keep changing. We won’t be finished products ’til the day we die."

Openly Straight is one of my all-time favourite books. No wonder I was hoping for a sequel, especially because the ending wasn't exactly what I had wished for.
Honestly Ben made my wish come true, while not fulfilling it at the same time.

The Good Stuff:
-Ben & Rafe finally end up together.
-Bill Kongisberg's sense of humour is A+ (most of the time)
-The author touches many important subjects such as sexuality and
Freakls
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Please pleeeease let them end up together pleeeease pleeeease .
jv poore
Ben is considerate, thoughtful and enviably introspective beyond his years. He is also an adorably awkward, adolescent farm-boy attending an all-boys boarding school, on scholarship. As the first Junior to be captain of the baseball team, the recipient of a prestigious award (the acceptance of which requires a speech) and a student struggling with calculus; Ben’s mind is full. No time to contemplate how a straight guy could have crushed so hard on a gay dude.

The charismatic, somewhat quirky, and
AMEERA
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite
Perfect , Funny , all beautiful Things in this book 💜💜💜✨’
prag ♻
Bill Konigsberg sure knows how to write an important book. What he doesn’t know, is how to write a fun contemporary. Or maybe it’s just me. Don’t get me wrong—this could possibly be a five star read for you. I just didn’t connect to it at all.

WHY YOU SHOULD READ THIS BOOK (even though I rated it 3 stars):

It's hilarious. Ben’s narration is so much better than Rafe’s, I can hardly remember why I gave that four stars.
I am convinced that in many, many ways—buoyancy included—I am a Czech dumpling.
Megan Collene
Mar 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
NOPE.

After almost an entire book of biphobic remarks, Konigsberg does NOT get to have a character casually drop “bisexual invisibility” into a conversation in the last ten pages of the story.

Like, WHAT?!

Yargh. Okay, let me begin again.

I have been so excited for this book. I loved Ben when I read Openly Straight, and like many, I wanted to see the continuation of his story. I was so excited that, two days ago, I actually went to the book release party, but after reading the blurb at the bottom of
⚔ Silvia ⚓
BR with Prag

TW for: psychological abuse (not acknowledged with this particular name), homophobia.

(maybe 4,5 stars? Idk, the rating system is messing with my brain)

I really enjoyed this book, maybe even more than Openly Straight. It's just that Ben's voice resonated better with me and I was more interested in his background than Rafe's.

Honestly Ben is the sequel to Rafe and Ben's story, but to me it feels like more than that. Sure, it's a story about two boys surrounded by a cast of amazing
Dahlia
It was really interesting reading this immediately after Ramona Blue, since the two had a lot in common in terms of the approach to sexual fluidity, but coming from opposite ends of the queer spectrum. Both kept the protagonist pretty (but not entirely) firmly in their original ID, preferring to focus on their current partners rather than a label, and both rejected the bisexual label because it didn't feel like the right fit.

I know the idea of "Gay For You" (which ends up being the closest thing
Kristi
May 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, lgbtqia
I think I get what Konigsberg was trying to do with Ben, but it still comes off as bi erasure from a character (and by extension, an author) who THINKS he understands what bisexuality is but really, really doesn't. He thinks because he's only been seriously attracted to one boy and only had fleeting thoughts about others, and is still mostly attracted to girls, that means he can't be bisexual. He also falls into some of the false stereotypes about bi people always being interested in more than o ...more
Ton
Jan 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I NEED A MORE SPECIFIC RELEASE DATE FOR THIS BOOK

brb dying

Please tell me this this book is a follow-up of what happened in Openly Straight. Promise me there'll be Rafe in it and that he's one of the main characters!!!!

I'll read it as soon as it's released.

cryin

Edit: I read it! review to come!
Kat
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-n
Loved this sequel to "Openly Straight" even more than the first book. Ben is such an interesting character, and it was so great to get a novel from his perspective where his family relationships could be explored. As much as I loved Rafe and the original drama between the two of them, the developments here were even more interesting to read as now things have been taken to a whole new level and Ben has to decide what it is he really wants.

This sequel raised some great questions about language an
Natasha
This is a really great sequel and it didn't totally disappoint. I will say that this does use the 'gay for you' trope, however Ben does consider bisexuality and concludes that the label isn't right for him. That's a real drawback for me as I was really hoping he would be bisexual, as that was what I thought when I read the first book back in 2014. However, his feelings for Rafe don't disappear just because he is straight, which I really liked. But I wouldn't recommend it if you want bisexual rep ...more
K.
3.75 stars? I think??

I have been looking forward to this book for a REALLY long time now. Well. For at least a year. I read Openly Straight at the beginning of last year and thoroughly enjoyed it with the exception of the AND THEN THE BOOK ENDS ending, which made me scream rude words about Bill Konigsberg. So when I found out that there was going to be a sequel, I was pretty thrilled.

And for the most part, I enjoyed this. I liked Ben's voice a lot. It's a compelling - if frequently frustrating
Kaje Harper
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, m-m, ya
This is the third book in the series (if you count the free short story as second) and I strongly advise reading them in order. Not just because you need to know the events and context, but because each of the novels is written in a single POV. The first book was Rafe's. And you need to have read it for that more-intimate knowledge of Rafe - of his own confusion and insecurities. Because here, only seeing him from the outside, he can appear less than sympathetic in this story. Ben goes through s ...more
JN
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lgbt, mm-romance, ya, series
This rating was tough and I feel very conflicted. There were parts of the book I absolutely loved (e.g. Toby being genderfluid, I liked Hannah, discussions on privilege & locker room culture, the friendship between the four guys) and they made me want to give it 4 stars. But there were some major issues for me too.

My main issue with this sequel was the gay-for-you. I've always disliked gay-for-you stories because the bi erasure is incredibly frustrating. I'm disappointed because I honestly e
Vernie♡
*Received from Edelweiss in return for an honest review*
Mr. Konigsberg has done it again, I am even more in love with the story and characters than I was prior.

Honestly Ben takes place a little while after Openly Straight with both characters still dealing with pain and heartbreak. Except for this time, we're following Ben's perspective. Ben is the quiet, history nerd who just wants to play baseball, get good grades and make his family proud. Well, at least that's what everyone thinks.

This boo
Bee
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trash
I don't know how to feel about this book... I love the characters but I was kinda hurt as a bisexual person at the way the book treated bisexuality. I read the explanation the author gave but it was basically "I'm aware of bi erasure but I'll contribute to it anyway"

so idk. I thought this book would make me happy but it kinda hurt me instead. I'm still giving it two stars bc like I said I love the characters and I appreciate the happy ending but yeah :/

ETA: u know what? i do know how i feel. it
Brigid
Mar 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this. Well worth the wait to read about the continuation of Ben and Rafe's story. Now I want to go back and read Openly Straight again. (Openly Straight is currently 99 cents for the ebook, and one of my favorite books, so go check it out if you haven't read it!)
Melissa
Yes, I give this 5 stars, but the story isn't perfect. And I feel that it ends on a cliffhanger because I don't know what happens to Ben at school or with the scholarship.

Now, I really, really, really enjoyed this! I loved Ben and Race since book 1, and was so sad when they broke up. This books is a fun read and I laughed more than once. But it also has a very serious side too. Not angsty, so don't let that stop you. This is a very real story, with very real characters with real life problems.
Daniel
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks, lgbt
What an amazing story. Definitely one of my favorite books this year. I found Bens POV a lot more interesting than Rafes. He is such a complex, well rounded character. I just wanted to be his friend! I read the author isn't going to make a sequel to this, which is kind of disappointing seeing as we never learned what is going to happen to Ben. Is his dad going to love him again and learn to accept him? is he going to go back to school? whats gonna happen with his scholarship? Sooo many questions ...more
A Albeirakdar
Endings are important. They are the lasting impression of the book; most of the time. And sometimes they determine wether I'm up for a reread or not. Here's the thing about the author of this book: his endings are always lacking.
When I first read Openly Straight, I was gutted by the abrupt way the book just seemed to... stop. But upon knowing there's a sequel, I rested assured that it was a single case and that it was actually a cliffhanger, not an ending, and that sucked less. But then I read a
Crisanda (Sapphire)

Don't be fooled by the fun looking cover of this book. Bill Konigsberg excels at writing important must-read books that make you think, but Honestly Ben is a little too heavy to be fun.

Sharing my favourite quotes:

- Misogyny is so pervasive that the idea of being associated with female behavior freaks guys out. I think that it says something interesting about men that they love women so deeply and yet hold them in such low esteem.

- What if your limit is unacceptable to you?

- Complicat
Suyapa
Oct 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbtplus, young-adult
I am little bit disappointed in this book.

Before:

HHNNNNNNNNNJAJJAJSJDJDKEJ.

I'm just tad bit excited about this.
Cale Andersen
Aug 03, 2016 marked it as to-read
I need this book badly cause the last book left a bittersweet feeling in my chest. I need sweetness, a lot of it and I'm gonna need it from this book. Let me have a happy ending for these two.
Emm  Louis
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I think I may have liked this even more than the first book, which is rare!
Going into this book I didn't think I even liked Ben as a character, but hearing things from his perspective really endeared me to him.
I did have a few problems with the treatment of Hannah, but overall it was a really enjoyable read, with such a great closing line!
Candychaser21
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Another 3.5 star book. This is the sequel to openly straight,it focuses on Ben Carver who is the love interest of Rafe, the main character in the first book. Ben has never been attracted to men, and does not even consider himself bi, even though he is madly in love with Rafe. Under a large amount of stress, with a ton of pressure on himself he forces himself to drop Rafe because he knows coming out with a male boyfriend would ruin a lot of what he has going on. He is elected team captain of the ...more
Elise (TheBookishActress)
It wasn't bad by any means, I just fling myself slightly unengaged. It's probably a “me” thing, so don't worry too much.

Honestly Ben focuses on sexuality confusion. Ben gets the chance to explore his sexuality in a productive way. While he doesn't end up deciding on a label, he does consider labeling himself as bi, and the book never decries bisexuality. It was nice to see a character not putting himself in a box without it coming off as an obvious way of avoiding the word bi.

The romance was a
T.
Dec 04, 2017 added it
Shelves: m-m-relationship
One character saying about another "I think he's asexual" doesn't count as ace rep. -_- And in literally the same scene that Toby, wearing a skirt and makeup, passes out fliers coming out as genderfluid and asking people to refer to her with she/her pronouns if she's dressed femininely, Ben still calls her "he"! *headdesk* Also, I've never heard the phrase "gender orientation" used except in this book--it seems like the author just made it up? It would be "gender identity" or just "gender".

(Over
Gordon Ambos
Feb 17, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: sub
I NEED THIS IMMEDIATELY! WHO DO I HAVE TO KILL TO GET THIS IN MY HANDS RIGHT NOW OMG i'm okay, gordon just breathe *breathes heavily*
Ami
I am going to do what Ben would do and not-rate this. Not because I don't like it, not because I like it, but because this book makes me feels ALL that and I don't think giving it ONE fixed rating is the 'right' thing to do. I dislike the way some of these kids talk sometimes, especially regarding the way they talk about girls -- which of course show that boys are stupid! Or the way that even the gay kid mocks about bisexual people.

However, I think, at the same time, it also challenges about lab
  • Educating Simon
  • Diamonds (Life According to Maps, #2)
  • End of the Innocence (Tales from Foster High, #4)
  • When Everything Is Blue
  • Shut Your Face, Anthony Pace!
  • I'll Always Miss You
  • Silent
  • Fearless
  • Two Thousand Pounds Per Square Inch
  • Shelter the Sea (The Roosevelt, #2)
  • Nothing Happened
  • Running With Lions
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • Spy Stuff
  • Bottled Up Secret
  • Pictures of You  (‘90s Coming of Age, #1)
  • Jerkbait
Bill Konigsberg was born in 1970 in New York City. Expectations were high from birth - at least in terms of athletics. His parents figured he'd be a great soccer player, based on his spirited kicking from inside the womb. As it turned out, the highlight of his soccer career was at Camp Greylock in 1978, when he was chosen for the Camp's "D" team. There were only four levels. Bill played alongside ...more

Openly Straight (3 books)
  • Openly Straight (Openly Straight, #1)
  • Openly, Honestly (Openly Straight, #1.5)
“But I do think that when we choose the easy path, where people or society reward us for being what they want us to be, against who we really are, a kind of death occurs. To the soul.” 7 likes
“And during, I realized that the labels didn’t matter, because when two people feel that sort of pull toward each other, it just works, and the only label that mattered was that I was in love. Totally, fully, ecstatically.” 5 likes