Start by marking “After the Quake” as Want to Read:
After the Quake

After the Quake

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  40,854 ratings  ·  3,132 reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN 9780375713279

The six stories in Haruki Murakami’s mesmerizing collection are set at the time of the catastrophic 1995 Kobe earthquake, when Japan became brutally aware of the fragility of its daily existence. But the upheavals that afflict Murakami’s characters are even deeper and more mysterious, emanating from a place where the human meets the in
Published August 2015 by Vintage International (first published February 25th 2000)

·  40,854 ratings  ·  3,132 reviews

Start your review of After the Quake
Ahmad Sharabiani
After the Quake, Haruki Murakami

After the Quake is a collection of 6 short stories by Japanese author Haruki Murakami, written between 1999 and 2000. First published in Japan in 2000, it was released in English as After the Quake in 2002. Contents: UFO in Kushiro; Landscape with Flatiron; All God's Children Can Dance; Thailand; Super-Frog Saves Tokyo; Honey Pie.

عنوانها: «بعد زلزله»؛ «بعد از زلزله»؛ «پس لرزه»؛ نویسنده هاروکی موراکامی؛ تاریخ خوانش نخست: روز هشتم، ماه می، سال 2012میلادی

عنوان: بعد
Mutasim Billah
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: japan, short-stories
“No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself.”

The Great Hanshin earthquake or Kobe earthquake occurred on 17th January 1995 and affected over a million lives in the southern part of the Hyōgo Prefecture. The loss of almost 6500 lives and the ruins of Kobe left a bruise at the country's core.

After the Quake doesn't chronicle the events of the earthquake, although all its stories have a vague connection to the disaster. However, instead of putting his characters at the very
Nat
This was my first time reading Haruki Murakami's writing, and I was indeed more than intrigued and impressed. The six stories in this mesmerizing collection are set at the time of the catastrophic 1995 Kobe earthquake, when Japan became brutally aware of the fragility of its daily existence. But the upheavals that afflict Murakami’s characters are even deeper and more mysterious, emanating from a place where the human meets the inhuman.

My two favorite stories: thailand & honey pie.

thailand:

T
Emily
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
My favorite Murakami short story of all time is "The Kidney Shaped Stone That Moves Everyday." So when I realized halfway through the last story in After the Quake that the main character was the same one from "Kidney Shaped Stone," it was as if the planets had aligned, the clouds parted and a single shaft of sunlight shot down to bathe me in a golden glow; everything was perfect in the universe. And of course "Honey Pie" is now my second favorite Murakami story of all time.

It's a rare writer t
Greta G
“And then it struck him what lay buried far down under the earth on which his feet were so firmly planted: the ominous rumbling of the deepest darkness, secret rivers that transported desire, slimy creatures writhing, the lair of earthquakes ready to transform whole cities into mounds of rubble. These, too, were helping to create the rhythm of the earth.”

After reading his sole non-fiction work, Underground: The Tokyo Gas Attack and the Japanese Psyche, about the Tokyo subway nerve-gas attack on
Tim
Jun 04, 2021 rated it liked it
Murakami was one of the authors that really got me into Japanese literature years ago. I discovered his work and read several in a row before I branched out looking for other authors from Japan. Despite his status in the literary world and his status as the author who helped get me into one of my favorite study areas in literature… I actually haven't read that much of him. When I first discovered him I read three of his books in a row… and then only briefly came back. I haven't even read his thr ...more
Kenny
Random but persistent streams of clear light and white smoke swirled together inside his eyes, which gave him a strangely flat view of the world. Was this what it felt like to die?
Haruki Murakami -- All God's Children Can Dance

Rarely has a story affected me as deeply as All God's Children Can Dance. Here, we spend time with the Mystical Murakami, the disturbing Murakami. The Murakami I love.

Yoshiya is born to an eccentric single mother who is 'born again' after several unfortunate couplings. Now
Luke
Sep 09, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I don't know how Haruki Murakami deals with the pressure of being my favorite writer. Does he realize what kind of pedestal I've place him on? Does it keep him up at night? I'm forever waiting to be disappointed by one of his books--I mean, the guy can't be PERFECT, can he? Well it hasn't happened yet.

This slim little volume of short stories (only six of them in all), all loosely connected to the 1995 Kobe earthquake, didn't garner as much critical acclaim as some of Murakami's other books. And
Bea
okay. well. this was certainly interesting.

um, what was that frog story?
I liked some stories, others not so much.
Will pick up more Murakami later on.

3.5 stars.
Orient

"After the Quake" offers six short stories, which have one common point: Kobe earthquake in 1995. The characters don't actually experience the earthquake directly, but it changes their life, unsettles and uneases them. That's the only generality. At the same time, each of the short stories is like a separate story with its characters and world. To tell the truth I feel a little bit unsettled about this book, because it is definitely new, strange and unusual for me.

“UFO in Kushiro,” is quite a
Susan Budd
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After the Quake is my first taste of Haruki Murakami. It is a collection of six stories set in the aftermath of the 1995 Kobe earthquake.

“Super-Frog Saves Tokyo” is the highlight of the collection ~ a nightmarish work of magical realism that is at turns humorous, grave, and gross. Frog is a polite and well-spoken creature given to philosophical musings and literary references. In the course of the story he mentions Nietzsche, Conrad, Tolstoy, Hemingway, and Dostoevsky. He also has a good sense
Andrew Smith
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Kobe earthquake struck an area of southern Japan early one morning in January 1995. It took more than 4000 lives and left hundreds of thousands homeless. In this collection of six short stories the relationship of the narrative to the earthquake itself is sometimes clear but at other time obscure. A link they do all share is that the events in each story take place one month after the earthquake.

The stories often have no ending, they simply reflect the thoughts and actions of various people
Mariah Roze
I enjoyed this short read. This book held multiple short stories that were all very different but shared the same theme. Every main character was someone that was a "nobody." They were shy, didn't have many friends, and no specific talents. However, by the end of the story they meant something to someone and they had done something "interesting" with their life.

I also really enjoyed this book because they were all stories that took place in Japan and were about the Japanese culture. I lived in J
Connie G
Haruki Murakami set this collection of six short stories a month after the destructive 1995 Kobe earthquake in Japan. The stories do not involve the earthquake area directly, but show the people of Japan undergoing psychological changes in response to this national disaster. The characters in the stories are having strange dreams, or are moving in an alternate dream reality. They feel an emptiness and loneliness in their lives.

This slim volume starts with "ufo in kushiro" about a man whose wife
Annie
Sep 05, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
In true Murakami style, where the plot isn’t so much important but rather a green screen for the characters to perform. But something so surreal and fascinating, its like taking a dive into what you would think is azure water, only it is not.

The surrealism that forms the centrifugal force in his stories like The Wind Up Bird  Chronicle ,continues its trend in this collection of short stories, each a derivative of the seismic upheaval in Kobe. Each story dips into the troubled waters and emerges
Ankit Garg
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This short story talks about a person's impotence, both literally and figuratively, in all walks of life. Murakami being Murakami, the reader doesn't get the answers he is looking for, but is left with a lot to think about after reading the story.

"No matter how far you travel, you can never get away from yourself. It’s like your shadow. It follows you everywhere."

"You need to lighten up and learn to enjoy life a little more. I mean, think about it: tomorrow there could be an earthquake; you coul
Kevin Shepherd
On January 17, 1995 at 05:46 AM, a massive 6.9 earthquake struck the city of Kobe, Japan. 6,434 people lost their lives. Haruki Murakami takes this tragic reminder of the precariousness of life and interweaves it through six different short stories. Each story has its own distinct arc, and Murakami manages to incorporate several different genres (romance, magical reality, comedy, etc.) into this ensemble of loss and perseverance.

This is my second foray into the mind of Murakami and I am hooked.
C.
Mar 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to C. by: Modern and Contemporary Literature
I don't get Murakami. In terms of form and style, the stories in this collection are consistently clichéd and unoriginal. Over and over again he uses the same tired old technique: open the story with a scene set in the present and then go back and give a brief description of the characters' life stories, what brought them here, and so on before returning to the present and continuing the story. It is dull, dull, dull. The language he uses is simplistic and unsophisticated. It is straightforward ...more
3.5/4

I don’t think I’ve ever read a story where impotence was as pervasive a theme ~~ impotence in all areas of a man’s life.

I’ve come not to expect answers from Murakami, but finished this wanting so much more.
Kate
2/5stars

I just don't vibe with short stories mannnn
K.D. Absolutely
Feb 20, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die (2006 version)
Shelves: ex-1001
I am not sure why but this collection of six short stories that happened after the Kobe earthquake just did not impress me as much as his Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman did last month. Maybe because five out of the six stories have no fantasy ingredient like the talking cat, leeches falling from the sky, a TV zooming automatically at the sleeping you or the actual appearance of a UFO. These 6 short stories are mostly pure drama and the usual disappearance, leaving without saying goodbye or saying ...more
Ian "Marvin" Graye
If Six Was One (or Two Were 19)

This is a lesser, almost insubstantial work, even if it is comprised of short stories.

The events described in each story have a very loose, tangential connection with the 1995 Kobe earthquake.

Apart from that, each story is capable of sitting on its own and being construed independently.

There's nothing especially interesting about any of the stories, except to the extent that they take a grab-bag of Murakami-esque themes and spin them into a tale.

At around 20 pages
Jenny (Reading Envy)
In February and March of my #tbrexplode project, where I started at the beginning of my "want to read" list in Goodreads from 2009 and decide whether I still want to read those books, I hit a wall of Murakami. This book of short stories made the cut, all slightly related to the Great Hanshin, or Kobe, Earthquake that occurred in 1995. I did not understand the Frog story but was very moved by Thailand.
(When I googled the name of the earthquake earlier in March I discovered that there was an eart
Kenny
Wonderful collection. Review to follow.
Vignesh
My favourite stories out of the lot:
1) super-frog saves tokyo
2) Honey pie
3) Landscape with flatiron

Seth T.
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay yeah, so really on a Murakami kick here. As I write this I'm also in the opening throes of his Norwegian Wood. In any case, After the Quake did nothing to halt my appreciation for his work. Despite the fact that many of his themes are here regurgitated. It's true, the flow of love for Haruki Murakami continues unabated.

That's not to say that there aren't high and low points in the collection of short stories. In fact a couple of the stories are merely Good.

In any case, in the wake of the Ko
Betty Asma
Jan 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Betty by: Pellerin
Tales combine fables, dreams, realism. Those seem the way to understand in part overwhelming, irrational events such as the January 1995 Kobe earthquake that destroyed the city. Each unique story of After the Quake restores broken human connections. Even characters distant from its epicenter felt traumatized and their lives psychologically disoriented by its televised images and by its reminder of relations and friends at the site. 'UFO in Kushiro' connects a recently divorced man (because of th ...more
Inderjit Sanghera
Murukami’s stories are ripe for pastiche and parody; ridden with tropes and characters which exist solely in Murukami’s stories, but which constantly pop-up; lackadaisical loners, tortured artists, the disaffected and the deranged, talking animals, convoluted plots; they can, if read concurrently, grate on the reader, but, taken in small doses, they emphasise the magic of Murukami’s imagination, resplendent with the weird and wonderful workings of his mind, a testament to his unrivalled storytel ...more
Brad
Mar 25, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I headed home dulled by work, dulled by the world around me, dulled by meaningless discourse, dulled by the apathy of others, dulled by the drift that's been pulling my mind away from the bones that hold it in, and as I approached the turn off to the beach I felt a pull I couldn't avoid, so I turned off.

Piano lessons were waiting. My kids were waiting. I needed to buy groceries. There was time, if I hurried, to spend with my love. But I found myself in the sand, shoes off, striding to the north
Shovelmonkey1
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: murakami fans and 1001 book readers
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 book and my friend Nick
I didn't realise this book was a series of short stories until I opened it and started reading. Murakami presents another weird and wonderful view into his world but this time focusing on the the way that a group of fictional characters were affected by the Kobe earthquake. All of these stories have their own merits but my favourite was probably Super-Frog saves Tokyo. I love Murakami although I have to say that this was not my favourite book by him as these stories don't really give him much of ...more

• Kitchen
  • Haruki Murakami and the Music of Words
  • Almost Transparent Blue
  • Breasts and Eggs
  • The Housekeeper and the Professor
  • Convenience Store Woman
  • Asesinato en la estación terminal
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold (Before the Coffee Gets Cold, #1)
  • Cándido's Apocalypse
  • The Goat, or Who is Sylvia?
  • Kokoro
  • Strange Weather in Tokyo
  • In the Miso Soup
  • Lettere di condannati a morte della Resistenza italiana. 8 settembre 1943-25 aprile 1945
  • I'm Fine, But You Appear to Be Sinking
See top shelves…
Murakami Haruki (Japanese: 村上 春樹) is a popular contemporary Japanese writer and translator. His work has been described as 'easily accessible, yet profoundly complex'. He can be located on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/harukimuraka...

Since childhood, Murakami has been heavily influenced by Western culture, particularly Western music and literature. He grew up reading a range of works by Am