Start by marking “Accidental Aid Worker” as Want to Read:
Accidental Aid Worker

Accidental Aid Worker

4.5  ·  Rating details ·  20 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The memoir of a courageous woman on a quest to find love and places to belong

Accidental Aid Worker is the travel memoir of the adventurous Sue Liu who stumbles into voluntary aid work in the wake of the 2004 tsunami during the civil war conflict in Sri Lanka. She teams up with a tour guide, a Catholic priest and a community of refugees and so begins a ten-year obsession wi
Published November 1st 2015 by Zulu Communications Pty Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Accidental Aid Worker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Accidental Aid Worker

Fiona
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a rollercoaster! It shows what it's possible for one human to do with a lot of determination and a big heart, and a crazy urge to keep saying 'Yeah, sure!' to people who need a hand. I was there with Sue every minute. She's a tough cookie. I love the landscapes she conjures up in Sri Lanka and Cambodia and PNG, and can't wait to hear what's next on her horizon ...
AJ
Jan 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a journey. Sue carefully navigates the pages of her life with honesty and humility, capturing scenes of cultures and countries most people would never have the inclination or opportunity to explore. I found it a hard read at times, because there was so much I identified with - grief, loss, guilt, anxiety, the joy of giving vs a sense of helplessness. Yet there always remained the sense of a strong soul prepared to battle on regardless.
Linda Saab
Jun 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book and very enjoyable read. Sue gives us an insight into the world of fundraising for the needy and its challenges as well as an interesting look into her life travelling around the world. A great read by an up and coming Australian author and highly recommended!
Kate Reilly
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I am fortunate to have met Sue Liu in the caring, giving and nurturing environment of Our Big Kitchen in Bondi. At the time, Sue struck me as a strong and purposeful woman going about her business with grace and dignity. I have experienced some tough times with the recent loss of my husband and Sue, through her actions and clear purpose, has helped me on my path towards healing. Sue's book is a breathtakingly honest, humourous, sad at times, thought provoking account of her many adventures in th ...more
Fiona
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sue's memoir is a heartfelt, direct and sometimes confronting (in a good way) account of the last several years in her life. Throughout her adventures, she struggles to balance her hardworking freelance career and her aid projects with the need to care for herself. I learned so much about how it really feels to dream up a big, ambitious plan and the sometimes painful process of following it through, just from reading this book.
Lesley
Jun 05, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting story but could have been better written. It kept me pretty engrossed for the first half, as she related her travels, fundraising and relief work, but it all became bit of a slog towards the end. Could probably have done with being 100 pages shorter and definitely could have done with some editing to correct factual errors and proof reading to eliminate vocabulary errors and ungrammatical sentences - all little things, but distracting and annoying.
Maria De
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I could not put the book down from the moment I started to read it. What an adventure! The highs, the lows and the generous spirit of this 'accidental aid worker' makes this book a captivating read. The personal touches about the author's own personal struggles allows the armchair traveller a glimpse into the world of other lands where one might fear to tread but has often dreamt of; and for that I say thank you Sue. Can't wait for the next instalment.
Jasmine
Jun 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
Rosemary O'donoghue
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sue Liu (called Zulu by her Sri Lankan friends) has a tendency to be impulsive and leap into new situations. When the tsunami hits Sri Lanka, where she had holidayed just a few months previously, an urgent email to friends leads to her coordinating a deluge of donations. Wanting to be sure they reach the people in need, Sue takes another leap and finds herself amidst civil war and the heartbreaking aftermath of natural disaster.

Sue tells her story with suspense, humour and honesty. She works wit
Kimi Anderson
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have just finished this beautifully written book, I have not been able to put it down and found myself taking this book everywhere hoping to find another spare 20 minutes in the day just to read the next chapter. Some parts are hilariously funny, other parts are gut wrenching and moving. I am full of admiration of this honest and entertaining memoir and feel that while there are parts of this journey that I could really relate to, there are other parts that I could never imagine happening to me ...more
Marie
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book and very intimate to the Author's thoughts, feelings and experiences. It feels like you are in Sue's suitcase watching things unfold... holding your breath in parts, crying in others, then laughing out loud. Once I started reading, I could not put it down.

Warning: You will likely have travel lust after reading it, accompanied with a renewed sense of adventure and what is possible by just jumping in.
Jane Sutton
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic tale of a young womans journey through life and around the world. It is a fast moving account of adventure, human spirit, grief, and love and laughter as well as the importance of community. It is a brutally honest account told with grace, humility and humour of a life lived to its full. This is a work and life to be admired and aspired to. A must read as there is something for everyone in this story.
Rebecca
Nov 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A very courageous and fascinating story. Very enjoyable read. I definitely recommend this book.
Claire
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this novel, it is a very real insight into Sue's world and the world of an aid worker. I did notice a lot of spelling and grammatical errors, somewhat frustrating but not the end of the world.
Ingrid Whitford
Oct 25, 2015
Sarale
Oct 26, 2015
Sue Liu
Nov 04, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
June
  • Santa Paws and Santa Claws: The Boxed Set
  • Inside: One Woman's Journey Through the Inside Passage
  • Special Education: Best Practices in Focus
  • Probability for Kids
  • Do Families Grow on Trees?
  • The Open Side
  • Written Life
  • Fire Cop
  • Six-Figure Freelancing
  • Stop Being a Baby, Baby!
  • Grandma vs. the Tornado and Other Stories from The Last Stop Retirement Community (The Last Stop Retirement Community Series Book 2)
Sue Liu lives in Annandale in Sydney with her enormous brown Burmese cat, Moet. She’s ‘Chiefette’ of her own businesses and marketing consultancy, Zulu Communications, a writer, author and self publishing consultant.

A passionate advocate of community and humanitarian focused work, Sue puts in a fair amount of time as a volunteer, leading and connecting people to opportunities to help vulnerable p