Start by marking “Tomb Raider #1” as Want to Read:
Tomb Raider #1

Tomb Raider #1

(Tomb Raider #1)

Superstar writer Gail Simone picks up Lara Croft's story where the smash hit Tomb Raider game left offin a new ongoing comics series! Following the game acclaimed for its bold and sophisticated new vision, this series launches Lara Croft on the formative adventures that will change her life forever! * The official continuation of Lara Croft's story! * The 2013 video game s ...more
Published October 7th 2015 by Dark Horse (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Tomb Raider #1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomb Raider #1

Wendy
Mar 15, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: gaming, comics-manga
Reviewed at Women Write About Comics

Putting Gail Simone on book with a female character of questionable purpose is usually a promise that she’ll turn that character into more than just the sum of her well-endowed parts. In this case, it’s Lara Croft—the adventurer who’s recently undergone a significant video game reboot—whom Simone has taken back to show us how Lara got to be the confident, kick-ass woman that Angelina Jolie got to play in the movies.

It isn’t entirely necessary to play the new g
Callie Rose Tyler
Mar 18, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
I was so excited....but

Mangrii
Aug 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Como fan de Lara desde tiempos inmemoriales, acabo de encontrar este cómic (y varios números más) y me he puesto inmediatamente con el primero. Sigue claramente la historia justo después del primer videojuego publicado el año pasado por Crystal Dynamics, en ese aclamado reboot que a mi claramente me gusto. Con un dibujo bastante sencillo y sin nada espectacular, este primer contacto me ha parecido bastante bueno, intenso, y que tengo ganas de saber qué es lo que ocurre realmente, y a donde lleva ...more
Kara
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: japan, graphic-novel

Its a good graphic novel, but its not a good Tomb Raider story - at least not my Tomb Raider. Does that make sense? Everyone has their favorite version of a character - Superman, Dr. Who, Maid Marian, Alice Liddell, etc. - and this just wasn't version, so that's that.

As my mom said: "You never forget your first doctor."
Ellie
Dec 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
kinda sad when the cover and the art in the back of the book are better then the art meant for the story..
Jess
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I was expecting a better storyline than a recycled version of the game. Yet we are back at the island and yet Lara is saving Sam again but this time from some idiots who wanna raise Mathias. 🙄
Beautiful graphics!
Becca Hamilton
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
i read all 18 issues in a day because i have 0% control.
Arlecia
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Good read - especially if you have played the game
Jun 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
You know, I'm trying to figure out exactly why Sam looks lighter than Lara in this comic....
Amanda
Jul 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting reminded me of a video game. Which I know the comic is biased off.
Ric Peralta
Mar 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The reboot of Tomb Raider is a spectacular game and this new book by Simone continues that hard pounding pace with another great Croft adventure
Jacia
Apr 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
Every comic I get excited for seems to flop. This was too boring for me to enjoy.
Alisha
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cover: I liked the cover. To be honest, I thought that is what Lara would look like throughout the graphic novel. I was a little disappointed when she wasn't.

Things that I liked: I did like the story plot and turn of events throughout the graphic novel. I always like seeing how Lara Croft is going to get herself and others out of harm's way. Such interesting piece about bringing back someone that should come back to life. The stone girls or "daughters" were an interesting piece to this. I though
Ithlilian
Apr 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Review for full 18 issues:

I played the reboot Tomb Raider game and loved it (the sequel was excellent as well). What set it apart was the characterization. This was Lara Croft before she killed anyone or had to survive anything life threatening. We were able to travel with her as she experienced dark things and gained strength, and it was a great journey. This comic is after all that, and as such it's more of an adventure story. There are bad guys, treasures, action, the usual. What's missing is
Katie
Aug 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was my first time reading a weekly (?) comic, ever! I've officially become a Real Comic Reader (I kid, I kid, but I feel like I've graduated). While I haven't played the game featuring this younger incarnation of Lara Croft, but my understanding is that the events in this comic follow the events that take place in that game. I don't really care, to be honest: Lara has been an admired female figure of mine since my sister and I received a Playstation for Christmas years ago, and I would read ...more
Amber
May 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
I'm new to the Tomb Raider series. The Definitive Edition of the game for PS4 was the first time I had ever played it. However I loved the game immensely and was so excited to pick up the first issue of the comic.

The art style does take some getting used after the crisp clear graphics of the game. While it's not bad as an introduction it likely will not be the most enthralling comic you've ever read. If you haven't played the new game then this comic wont make much sense.

For those who did love
Marla Haasz
Mar 04, 2014 rated it liked it
It is rather hard to say if I like this as not a lot is happening in the first issue or a lot is crammed into this first issue.

Not sure how I feel about the art as I don't feel good or bad towards it.

Since I loved the game reboot, haven't read many Tomb Raider comics and being a fan of Simones work, I will definitely be giving this series at least 2 more issues for the story to build and for me to be captured in the Lara Croft that I love.
CB
Jul 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
It was okay. I've never played the Tomb Raider games, so maybe that's why I wasn't more captivated. All the same, the covers kept catching my eye in the comic shop, so I picked this up. The story was a little light, and I felt like it moved a bit too quickly in places. The art was good, but not as engaging as the covers. Not bad, but not strong enough to make me want to read further.
Amy
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Tomb Raider reboot
It's hard to rate and review a comic on it's first issue. I enjoyed this and look forward to seeing where it goes. It tied in well with the video game and I hope it might lead into the next one and then continue on again after that. It's much better than the prequel comic for this game was and if you are a fan of this new Tomb Raider reboot I think you'll enjoy this and where it could go.
Ilze Izabella
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This Tomb Raider series is a fantastic sequel to a great game. I had never been this interested and continuously stuck to my Xbox just to finish off the Tomb Raider game for the story.

And it was great news when I heard that Gail Simone will be keeping it going !
Ashley Obenstine
Mar 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
OKAY SO I just finished Tomb Raider 2013 for xbox 360, and then I saw this when flipping through comics and I freaked out. So I take it home, open it, AND I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS A CONTINUATION OF THE GAME AND NOW I'M SO HAPPPYYY AND STOKED FOR THE REST OF THE ISSUES!!
Sidney Prescott
Feb 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, own
Love it. Lara is such a hero of mine, so even if this was awful I would still read it. Lucky for me it was amazing.
Nathan Hales
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I can't tell exactly where the story is going yet but the art was good and it had a nice pace to it.
Aina
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Well was this awesome. As a fan of Tomb Raider 2013 I must say this looks like a really good continuation of the game. Also it is a quick read so I'm definitely reading more.
Scott
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
It does pick up from where the game ends but it doesn't add much to the story in this first issue. It does however set the very basics of a promising adventure.
Eliana
May 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Loved the new Tomb Raider game to no end. Adored it. Excited to see where this goes.
Captures the personalities/voices of the characters from the game.
Philippa Mary
Jun 05, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5/3
Rohit
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
I am hoping this would get better with each issue & lead to an awesome game.
Sam Nicholson

• Ms. Marvel (2014-2015) #9
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 10: Club Kids
  • Over The Garden Wall #2
  • Bee and Puppycat #3
  • Adventure Time with Finn & Jake (Issue #5)
  • Gotham Academy #3
  • Vixens, Vamps & Vipers: Lost Villainesses of Golden Age Comics
  • Thor (2014-2015) #3
  • Birds of Prey, Vol. 11: Metropolis or Dust
  • Rat Queens #8
Gail Simone is a comic book writer well-known for her work on Birds of Prey (DC), Wonder Woman (DC), and Deadpool (Marvel), among others, and has also written humorous and critical commentary on comics and the comics industry such as the original "Women in Refrigerators" website and a regular column called "You'll All Be Sorry".

Tomb Raider (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Tomb Raider #2