Start by marking “Paper Hearts, Volume 1: Some Writing Advice (Paper Hearts, #1)” as Want to Read:
Paper Hearts, Volume 1: Some Writing Advice (Paper Hearts, #1)

Paper Hearts, Volume 1: Some Writing Advice

(Paper Hearts #1)

Your enemy is the blank page. When it comes to writing, there's no wrong way to get words on paper. But it's not always easy to make the ink flow. Paper Hearts: Some Writing Advice won't make writing any simpler, but it may help spark your imagination and get your hands back on the keyboard.

Practical Advice Meets Real Experience

With information that takes you from common m
Published November 1st 2015 by Scripturient Books

To ask other readers questions about Paper Hearts, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paper Hearts, Volume 1

Start your review of Paper Hearts, Volume 1: Some Writing Advice (Paper Hearts, #1)
Caitlin Gutilla
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm super happy with this book. Writing a book is one of my biggest dreams in life and Beth Revis is one of my favorite authors. This book has given me some really great advice about the entire process and it's even more special coming from someone who's work I admire so incredibly much.
Martina Boone
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book covers all the burning questions that aspiring authors ask, and does so in a quick, entertaining, and thoroughly honest way that gets the information to the reader in the most easily digestible format I've ever seen in a writing book. With fantastic charts and great straight talk, reading this book is like having a New York Times bestselling author looking over your shoulder. I wish I'd been able to read this as I was working toward getting published, but even with two books out from a ...more
Chasia Lloyd
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very solid and well-organized book which tackles so many aspects of writing and trying to break into publishing. Beth Revis is empathetic through her entire run, regularly reminding readers that no single piece of writing advice applies universally to everyone. Much of this book is tackled from a "this is what has worked for me" point of view, not a "listen to me, I am totally right" perspective.

Revis covers a bit of everything - characters, plot, setting, revising, grammar, critique
SerialReader
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good book if you either are on the road to becoming an author or at least toying with the idea.

Read more on The SerialReader Blog.
Kate Swed
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: craft-books
I'm a fan of craft books, but I rarely rate them this highly. Partly because I pick and choose the useful bits from them, partly because they often come with a subtle (or not-so-subtle) implication that this is THE ONE WAY to write.

Not so with Paper Hearts. Beth Revis is pretty clear that there's no one way--while providing a heap of tools to help with structure, worldbuilding, character, pacing, and more. And she clearly knows her stuff. She's even got a bunch of chapters at the end that go th
Jen Petro-Roy
Really great and easy to digest. Geared mainly for the beginning writer, but I definitely highlighted a bunch on story structure.
Sofia Matias
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
As is the case with all advice, not everyone will find this useful, appropriate for them, or even overall good. Everyone does things differently and has their own way to approach writing, so the attribution of quality and value to a book of this genre is always going to be incredibly subjective. For me, personally, I quite enjoyed it!

The book starts off exactly with that warning. It's been my experience that the writing crafts books I end up enjoying the most and actually taking something useful
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: review-requested
I have never read a writing advice book, but I sure am glad this was the first one that I picked up. Beth Revis is one of my most favorite authors who I look up to as a writer myself, so reading her advice and how she became an author over time really inspired me in all sorts of ways. This book overflowing with writing advice wasn’t told in a mundane way. No, Revis was hilarious in her honest writing and really captured my attention with every point she made. She didn’t sugarcoat any info she ha ...more
Dee/ bookworm
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing

If you had to pick one advice on writing book, pick this one!! Paper Hearts, Some Writing Advice by Beth Revis, is a breath of fresh air. This book is so personable its like you were sitting down having coffee with the author and talking to her. It is fun, witty and dead on. Revis shares what works for her, what works for others and really encourages you to try different things to find the correct method for yourself. She doesn't preach, she just shares her stories of different things that have
Sarah Epstein
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Beth Revis's novels and couldn't resist getting a peek into her writer's mind with this book of practical writing advice. It's told in a refreshingly-conversational tone and is peppered with examples from Beth's own personal author journey (easily the most interesting parts of the book). I'm very much looking forward to reading her advice on publishing next with Paper Hearts, Volume 2.
(One small note: I did chuckle at the typo of 'Apocalypse Now' given as an example of a tickin
Theresa
Jun 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
I have read many books on writing far too many to count. This book is the best book I have read on the topic. It goes into great detail on not only breaking down structure and characterization but also goes into all the different aspects/tools (critique partners, open mind, willingness to accept failure) you as a writer need in order to succeed. If you are just starting out this is the book for you. It breaks everything down that most had to learn the hard way. While it is full of information it ...more
♡*WithLove, Reesie*♡ ☆~Nikki~☆
Witty, Wise, & Wonderful for any & all Writer! Thanks Beth Revis! ...more
Yasmine ∙ Shutupiamreading
Books on creative writing can be incredibly personal. I’m always a bit hesitant when buying one of these books - who knows if they’ll fit my style of writing? So here are some of my observations and hopefully they’ll help you make up your mind whether this book is for you or not.

In short, this book gives lots of advice on how to write if you want to get published. The narrative structures discussed are all based on how to get an agent or publisher to notice you. This is not how I think a book s
Shanti
I really enjoyed These Paper Hearts. I'm writing a first draft at the moment, and it was both useful and practical. Beth Revis is simultaneously encouraging and realistic. Though I know this wasn't the publishing volume--which I might totally seek out if I ever feel like being published--she does talk quite a lot about the nature of publishing, which is cool. The writing isn't particularly polished, and I wasn't really a fan of the short chapters, but whatever, it got the message across and the ...more
Ellen
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I've read a ton of craft books over the years, but PAPER HEARTS has become one of my new favorites. Equal parts craft guide and motivational tool for when the whole writing process seems overwhelming and the words just aren't flowing, it left me feeling a lot more confident and in control of my writing abilities. The handy charts, short chapters, and occasional dose of tough love didn't hurt either.

Plus, there are sequels devoted to publishing and marketing advice for once you've finished your
Beth
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I expected a bit of a pep rally, maybe some new ideas. What I got was a heart torn wide open for all the world to see.

I really enjoy Beth Revis’s novels. Her writing is amazing. So if she wrote a book of writing advice, it has to be good, right? No. It’s a-freaking-mazing! Her honesty is apprecited and her insight is spot-on.

Thank you, Beth Revis, for this awesome book! (I also bought the other two books in the series and can’t wait to dig in.)
Rachel Schieffelbein
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read this book because it was recommended by a writing friend of mine, and I will definitely recommend it to others as well!

This book has plenty of advice for those who are new to writing, and those who are more experienced. It never felt condescending, and always encouraging.

I have been in a bit of a slump and this book helped me feel energized and ready to take on the blank page again. I loved it.
This book is a wonderful map for how to craft great stories. The advice is super-useful and so honest. I love how right up front the message is 'take what you can use and forget the rest'. I am not a writer, but I do see myself referencing this book as I develop the educational programs I present at work in order to make them more like a good narrative. Stories are more memorable than lectures.
mightazerie
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: creative-writing
i love this book especially the critique partner section, i thought nathan brandsford’s how to write a novel was the best one yet but beth’s book on writing beat it. love that this book is direct to the point and doesn’t beat around the bush and doesn’t tell you the overrated and mainstream advice on books. learned a lot from this one i have so much takeaways!
Laurie
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical advice with friendly humor

Revis addresses her readers as working writers with a wide variety of goals and stories to tell. She is never condescending, her humor lightens the inevitable truth of suffering and failure in store for all of us, and she knows when to be direct. I particularly enjoyed her examples, taken from her own experience and her wealth of reading.
Rebecca M
Revis gets real about writing. Essential for those in the early stages of their writing career, or those new to the pursuit of publishing. Those who have been in the trenches a while will also find valuable information—and commiseration.
Nicole Brake
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Most enjoyable and useful craft book I've read. I'll be recommending this far and wide!
August
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was quite useful and I know I'll be referencing it in the future during my writing expeditions.
Amanda
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is such a useful book that really makes you think about your own writing. It's helped me see where I've fallen short and how I can improve.
Michelle Roberts
It's so hard to find good, YA focused writing craft books. This one had several things I'll try to implement.
Jillian
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, e-book, on-writing
Beth Revis seems fantastic and this is an entertaining and helpful entry guide to writing.
I Smell Books - Join Our Newsletter
Best Advice I’ve received!

I’ve read plenty of books about writing and this is the best advice I’ve received. It’s straight to the point and it’s solid advice.
Sandi Van
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing
Helpful guide for new writers.
Leah Clifford
Jun 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great resource for new writers and even this old dog found some new tricks!
Horse Cryptid
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
An excellent writing craft book for writers at any stage! There were a few things I didn't entirely agree with or found a bit contradictory, but I still highly recommend this book. Beth puts a lot of emphasis on you as an individual writer (but also telling you how the publishing world really is) which is what I liked most about this book.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Plot Versus Character: A Balanced Approach to Writing Great Fiction
  • Focus: How To Have The Confidence To Concentrate And Pay More Attention
  • Idiot
  • Calamity under the Chandelier (Sleuthing Starlet Mystery #1)
  • The Midnight Sea (The Fourth Element, #1)
  • Miss Polly had a Dolly (Emma Frost #2)
  • The Killer Across the Table: Unlocking the Secrets of Serial Killers and Predators with the FBI's Original Mindhunter
  • The Library of the Unwritten (Hell's Library #1)
  • Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1)
  • Writing and Selling Your Mystery Novel: The Complete Guide to Mystery, Suspense, and Crime
  • Notes from a Young Black Chef: A Memoir
  • Deadline (Newsflesh Trilogy, #2)
  • The Twisted Ones
  • Save the Cat! Writes a Novel
  • Wicked Bite (Night Rebel, #2)
  • The Burning Shadow (Origin, #2)
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Lost Girls: An Unsolved American Mystery
Beth Revis writes books. She also eats too much chocolate, wishes she could travel more, and prefers puppies to people. Beth lives in rural NC with her boys: one husband, one son, two very large puppies.

Paper Hearts (3 books)
  • Paper Hearts, Volume 2: Some Publishing Advice (Paper Hearts, #2)
  • Paper Hearts, Volume 3: Some Marketing Advice (Paper Hearts, #3)

News & Interviews

“Our masterpieces are Shakespeare and Jane Austen and griots and Murasaki Shikibu, but they’re also J.K. Rowling and Chuck Palahnuik and Douglas Adams and Amy Tan and Suzanne Collins and Chinua Achebe. Read. Read them all. Read the books you love, and try to read books you don’t. Read the genres you love, but sometimes also read a book outside your comfort zone. Read voraciously.” 2 likes
“It’s not selfish to be yourself and pursue your dreams.” 1 likes