Start by marking “Fatal Tide” as Want to Read:
Fatal Tide

Fatal Tide

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  5,984 Ratings  ·  163 Reviews
In this electrifying novel of suspense, #1 New York Times bestselling author Iris Johansen takes us deep below the surface, where a ruthless killer strikes without warning, without mercy—and with the deadliest intent.

Marine researcher Melis Nemid is treading dangerous water—and she’s about to be dragged under. Melis knows something that has already caused one oceanographer
Published August 31st 2004 by Bantam (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fatal Tide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fatal Tide

Pbwritr
Feb 09, 2010 rated it did not like it
Drove me crazy. Exaggerated characters. I can't believe this is a bestselling author. I only read it because I didn't have anything else to hand. Poorly written.
Heather Scheer
Oct 30, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was about a young woman named Melis who is a marine researcher. She doesn't have any real family left except for her step-father, Phil Lontana. Phil is an oceanographer who is in search of an acient underwater city, the lost city of Merinth. He had been searching for the underwater city for years. Melis has no interest in helping him find it. Years ago, Phil and Melis were on a dive when they found two dolphins off the coast of Cadora, one of the Canary Islands, during one of their tri ...more
Alisha
Oct 02, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Encompassing murder, betrayal, blackmail, and treasure. The novel begins by jumping straight into the action, revealing each character as the story unfolds. It's not the typical mystery that I read, however, I really enjoyed how it was written. Tons of detail and dialog, though not over detailed. Allowing the reader to make their own assumptions. I enjoyed the way the time frame did not drag on, but jumped ahead to the next action scene, apposed to filling the gaps with descriptions of the surro ...more
Holly Ristau
May 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
Kate
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
The book had a very easy-to-read narrative, which made it quick to get through, but I found the characters were quite flat. I had no real idea of Kelby, and his face was completely blurred out in my imagination because he was so one-dimensional, which was a fault of all the characters. I was left wanting more with so much of the stuff described in the book, from Marinth to Kafas. There could have been a very rich background woven with that information that just came disjointedly. I wanted more, ...more
Lindy
Jun 08, 2015 rated it did not like it
The book was okay. I finished it in a day. Easy to read and simple narrative. The characters were toeing the line of mary-sue. A pretty girl who has few friends in the world (besides her two dolphins) is forced to work with super wealthy business man/marine Kelby as they search for a lost sea-city. The book wasn't incredibly riveting, but it was alright.

The reason I gave this book a 1 star review instead of 3 was because the author introduced this Apache character. He's a side character (I can'
Debby
May 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Melis Nemid’s self-imposed isolation on her own Caribbean island studying dolphins (especially Susie & Pete) is interrupted by a strange communication from her foster father, Phil Lontana. Melis travels to Athens in search of Phil just in time to see him and his ship blow up. This is the first in a series of horrendous tragedies, and Melis contacts wealthy oceanographer Jed Kelby’s for help in finding out who is behind it all. They work out an uneasy agreement to find Phil’s Atlantis-like un ...more
Bazz
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
If you were to ignore the characters and look at the plot line of this book itself then you'd find it a quite enjoyable read. The characters though I found a bit stale/flat. With the exception of the dolphins (which is pretty obvious really) I failed to imagine what any of the characters were really like. Someone in another review described them as being two dimensional, and I think that sums them up perfectly. My other gripe is about the ending, for the way the storyline was building up it seem ...more
Georgiann Hennelly
Feb 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Melis Nemid is a Marine researcher she knows something that has already caused one oceanographer to disappear from the face of the earth....And thats only part of a past torn by betrayal and violence. Malis thought she had put the past behind her when she came to the Carribean island home to research Dolphin behavior. But her life - and her peace are about to be shattered by a savage killer who is cutting a path of death and destruction that leads directly to her. Whoever the killer is he or she ...more
Rhapsody
Dec 03, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: romance/treasure hunt readers
Shelves: romance, fiction
Another romance in which the heroine was sexually abused as a child. Now an adult, she lives on an island by herself, caring for a pair of dolphins. She teams up with Kelby, a rich, dangerous adventurer, when she's put in danger for knowing the location of an Atlantis-like city under the sea.

It was ok. I got a little impatient, especially at the start. I like romance novels not to be so dominated by the suspense and mystery stuff. I don't know... A very bla experience, but maybe just because I'm
Linda Alexander
Dec 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the book 'Fatal Tide' authored by Iris Johansen. It had a lot of suspense that kept my attention level up throughout, and I was also fascinated while reading about the dolphins named Pete and Susie that hung out with Melis on the island.

Iris seems to nearly always have some really good twists/turns to her stories that I find rather intriguing, and finishes up with a totally surprising ending. I definitely recommend it as a "good read" and a page turner.
P.S. Winn
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
When Melis Nemid, an oceanographer who plays with dolphins, loses the man who was like a father to her, she is going to have to dog up secrets better left buried and fight for her life as she discovers a killer is after her and what she knows. The author takes the reader on a mystery thrill ride with a touch of romance and the heartwarming addition of beautiful dolphins to the tale.Great job in a reader friendly story from an author that readers always can count on for a great story.
Regan
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
I feel like I've read this one before -- just with different titles --- Melis isn't all that different from Eve except Melis has her dolphins which are interesting and Eve has Bonnie....but then all her female characters are pretty much the same unemotional women. The story is dialogue driven with virtually no narrative and little to no emotion. I keep reading the series because every so often there is a gem in there.
Robin
Aug 03, 2014 rated it did not like it
I usually love Iris Johansen's suspense books, but I couldn't get into this one. There seems to be alot of random characters and I wasn't sure how most of them related to each other. The hero and heroine seemed to be searching for something call "marinth". I gave up after 70 pages, so I'm not sure if marinth is a person, a place, or a who knows what. DNF.
Cheryl
Jun 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
Other than the title, the book is quite good. This time around, the author introduces dolphins into the mix. This is a great way to learn just a bit more about dolphins while enjoying tales of shipwrecks, explosions, and double crosses.
Esther Somorai
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Read 8-12-2016
What a read. What an adventure. Suspense and danger at every turn of the page.
Ben Campbell
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
Interesting, but no cigar. Silly but no putty.
Michelle
Apr 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable thriller. Good characters - both the good guys and the bad guys. I'll have to look for other books by this author.
Christine Anna  Kirchoff
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read this awhile ago but forgot to post it here. Great book!
Joe O'Connor
Sep 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Very Good; murder and a haunting past follow a woman who enlists the aid of a soldier of fortune to find a city beneath the sea that only her dolphins can lead her to.
Rachael Uponen
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Most of my reviews of Iris Johansen's books will not be done with them fresh in my mind. I've actually been reading them for almost a year. This will, hopefully, be the last book of hers that I read. And because I just finished it, this review will be more specific than the others.

"Fatal Tide" is a stand-alone novel by Iris Johansen. It includes all of the Johansen essentials, including a ridiculously strong-willed, stubborn female lead, a creepy, dangerous male love interest, and an over-the-to
Minderella34
Jun 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've read books of hers I've enjoyed much more. The story for me didn't flow , seemed very disjointed . Characters were ok . I enjoyed reading about the dolphins and Melis's interaction with them the most .
Merrill
I enjoyed this immensely! This book has everything you could want in a book romantic , action , suspense and drama.
Victoria Robinson
I enjoyed this book but found it hard to connect with the characters. I found myself wishing that their backgrounds had been delved into more. The story line itself was entertaining.
Debbie Mcnally
Jun 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic audio book plenty of twist and turns.
Michel Sizaire
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Interesting novel, looking at reading more from this author
Kay
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Once again I have to give praise to Iris Johansen for another supercharged thriller. There is peril, romance, and suspense aplenty as you turn each page. I enjoyed Melis's special way with her dolphins. They gave her comfort as she battled a horrible past that just hasn't been put to rest yet. From the first page you will be caught up in the dangers, suspense, and a romance with lots of twists and turns to keep the pages turning.
Maria Cox
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Blurb:

Melissa “Melis” Nemid is a marine researcher, Jed Kelby an ex-Navy Seal. The two are brought together when treasure hunter Phil Lontana, the man who raised Melis, is said to have discovered vital artifacts and information.

**Spoilers**

Ms. Johansen is one of my favorite authors I find her writing to be stimulating and refreshing. That said I didn’t enjoy Fatal Tide as much as other books I’ve read.

I will say that the first quarter of the book was a page-turner for me, it was interesting to l
Twyll
Melis Nemid is a marine researcher (specializing in dolphins) with a traumatic past. Accompanied by the wealthy Jeb Kelby, she races against a sadistic arms dealer to find a sunken city - the Egyptian version of Atlantis known as Marinth. Who will claim it and the riches within first?

While the premise is interesting, the execution leaves a lot to be desired. For the first 60 pages, everyone but the reader knows what Marinth is until that point. The book seems to focus more on Melis overcoming he
Megalion
Struggling to get through this book. It's a thriller/treasure hunt kind of story centering out a "lost city of atlantis" type plot. But the prose and dialogue is just leaving a lot to be desired for me. Waiting til approx pg 100 to explain what "something" is that all the characters keep talking about and is the life obssession of some... is not good writing in my book. It's not good use of foreshadowing and etc.

Got the book from Mom who said it was about this woman with dolphins and that was t
  • Hiding in the Shadows (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #2)
  • Always Time to Die (St. Kilda Consulting, #1)
  • Now You See Him (Bayou #4)
  • Colder than Ice (Mordecai Young, #2)
  • See How She Dies
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...