Start by marking “Astérix le Gaulois (Astérix, #1)” as Want to Read:
Astérix le Gaulois (Astérix, #1)

Astérix le Gaulois

(Astérix #1)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  20,313 Ratings  ·  407 Reviews
alternate cover for ISBN 2205000969 (1982)

Dans le camp fortifié romain Petibonum, on se pose des questions : comment les Irréductibles Gaulois du village d’Astérix font-ils pour ridiculiser encore et toujours la puissance romaine ? Décidé à percer à jour le mystère de la force surhumaine de nos héros, le centurion Caius Bonus envoie un espion déguisé en Gaulois.

C’est Calig
Published 1982 by Dargaud (first published July 14th 1960)

Traveller

A kindred spirit...

Family portrait.

Sport/recreation/favorite pastime.

=========

For those not familiar with the Asterix comics, let me give you a bit of background, both personal and general.

Let me start with Julius Caesar.
We all know him, eh? And most of us probably know that Ceasar defeated the Gauls, thereby incidentally Latinizing and unifying them.

After conquering and annexing Gaul with a two-year war, fought from 52 to 50 BC, he did actually see a small rebellion, though not quite of the k
Ted
Apr 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ???

another UPDATE at bottom

I got this over Christmas 2014, when I saw some lying in a book store. There are (according to a list inside the front cover) 33 Books available in English translation, available singly or in Omnibus editions of 3 Books each.

I glanced at it, browsing a bit as it lay on the table in my family room for months. Amusing.

I had really picked it up for my grandson, who's just turned seven. But when I tried to interest him in it, he was not very enthusiastic. Perhaps he saw a bun
Ahmad Sharabiani
Astérix le Gaulois = Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1), René Goscinny
Asterix the Gaul is the first volume of the Asterix comic strip series, by René Goscinny (stories) and Albert Uderzo (illustrations).
عنوانها: آستریکس قهرمان گال؛ آستریکس در سرزمین گل؛ تاریخ نخستین خوانش: دوم ماه می سال 2004 میلادی
عنوان: ماجراهای آستریکس و ابیلیکس کتاب 01 - آستریکس قهرمان گال؛ نویسنده: رنه گوسینی؛ مترجم: مهدی شاه خلیلی؛ تهران، لک لک، 1381؛ از ماجراهای آستریکس و ابیلیکس کتاب 01؛ در 48 ص؛ مصور رنگی؛ گروه سنی ج د؛ شا
Matt
+++ BREAKING +++

(Berlin) Is this the end of the indomitable Gauls?
Ehapa publishing house announced on Wednesday, that all volumes of the popular Asterix series of author René Goscinny and illustrator Albert Uderzo will be immediately removed from trade. The publisher responds to an inquiry by the National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) in Germany, who was able to demonstrate years of extensive doping of the popular cartoon characters. At the end of last week, the NADA had published their results. Ac
Bruce
Jul 15, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel, humor
Well, *have* you read all the Asterix books? It's a fair question. We've read these, but these aren't all. There are, in fact, at least 8 not identified here. Quick quiz Asterix fans - can you name them without resorting to internet memory? [image error]

I had the tremendous good fortune to find all but a few of the published volumes in one of our local libraries, and to be able to borrow the remainder of those I could not find from a friend who collects them. If you've yet to be introduced to th
Pramod Nair
Ah! Asterix and his picturesque little village in Gaul with its stubborn yet hilarious bunch of residents gave me such a heavy dose of enjoyment during my high school vacation days.

Each volume of this series is supremely rich in wonderful cartoon sketches, lots of humor and superb characters. Full marks goes to René Goscinny and Albert Uderzo for creating a bunch of such loveable characters and an exciting series of humorous adventures based on political & historical references. The transla
FeReSHte
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, france, humour
آستریکس یه نوستالژیه
همیشه عاشق طریقه ی نقاشی کاراکترها و رنگ های زنده تصاویرش بودم
خود کاراکترها و طنز داستان هم جالب بود
خوب بود در کل
Scarlett Readz and Runz....Through Novel Time & Distance
This is a goody from my childhood that I haven’t read in years. I guess I felt a little sentimental picking this up.

The Asterix & Obelix comics started being published in 1959 by French authors Rene Goscinny, Albert Uderzo and Jean-Yves Ferri. Since then over 30 books in this series were translated into over 100 languages today. I myself read the German translations as a kid. To this day, boys and girls in Europe are still reading and enjoying these comics as well as the adaptated movies whi
Kavita
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books, france
By Toutatis! Everyone should read this beginning book of a brilliant series!

There are only a very few characters in this book, and the village crowd have not yet appeared. We only meet Asterix, Obelix, Vitalstatistix, Cacofanix and Getafix. But we get to meet the Romans and Julius Caesar himself.

I am always left dazed by the brilliance of the puns in this series, and this first effort was no different. The English translation also complements the original French so effortlessly that it's a com
Ken-ichi
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh man. I grew up reading these. Facts gleaned from Asterix still probably constitute the majority of my admittedly scant knowledge of European geography and history. Vitalstatistix! Cacophonix! Whoever did the translations was a genius.
Mimi
Of course I've read all of these as a kids, in Dutch. I even read a couple in Latin whilst in high school (yes, the adventures of Asterix are available in Latin, just like several other comic books. You can even read Harry Potter in Latin...)

I must say, I had a bit of difficulty adjusting to the English names. After 25+ years of Abraracourcix, Assurancetourix and Panoramix, it's a bit strange seeing them being named Vitalstatistix, Cacofonix and Getafix... (I know it's because the word plays don
Gavin
Jun 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cartoon, funny
Asterix was where I first started reading comics. My dad had them, and they seemed cool...I remember it was so long ago that they put out a new one with the Original Goscinny and Uderzo, and it was a big treat, a Father's Day present for him.

This is where it all starts. The art improves from here, and our heroes look a bit different before they evolve...

The puns, the play on words, the names, slapstick violence, history, this series has it all.

You grew up with Tin Tin or Asterix. Both French, b
Joni
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente primer tomo para presentar a Asterix y su mundo, favoreciendo a los galos y delirando bastante a los romanos. Hay buen contexto histórico, excelente dibujo, muy buen coloreado, altas dosis de humor. Destaco la edición de Zorzal con una nueva traducción muy acertada en modismos.
Renuka
Asterix the Gaul

This is the first volume of the comic stripes Asterix. It is quite impressive despite being the early chapter. The plot is centered on the indomitable Gauls as they withstand the Romans (Julius Ceasar) in 50 B.C.

The Gaulish people are invincible because of a potion brewed by their druid 'Getafix' , which makes them super strong for some period and bears a name with "ix" suffix. Asterix, ou protagonist is physically dwarfish but very sharp-witted and brave. I absolutely loved
David Sarkies
Apr 14, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comedy
The first Asterix album
14 April 2012

Now that I have the complete Tintin collection I decided that I would get my hands on the other comic book series that I liked as a child, which surprise, surprise, was Asterix. I am sure many of you already know the premise behind Asterix, but since this is the first of the albums I thought that I might run through it anyway. The story is set in 50BC after Julius Ceaser has conquered Gaul, or almost. There is one little village on the coast of Gaul that just
Jonatan Iversen-Ejve
Asterix is definitely one of my favorite comic book series of all time. I've only come to like the albums more as I grow older, and seeing as I reread them at least once a year I thought it only right that I take a shot at reviewing them as well. Keep in mind that I read the Swedish editions and might get a few names wrong. I'll try to stick to the English names as much as I can.

So, here goes. Asterix the Gaul is the very first album, and it shows. For me the whole thing always felt like some so
Helmut
Aug 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eine haarige Angelegenheit
Manchmal fällt es einem Rezensenten schwer, die richtigen Worte zu finden. Mir geht das bei Büchern so, die ich schon so lange kenne, dass man denkt, alles wurde darüber schon gesagt - und die Astérix-Reihe ist so ein Fall. Wer kennt es nicht, wer hat es nicht schon als Kind gelesen? Was soll ich Euch also erzählen, was Ihr nicht eh schon wisst?

Auch wenn die Zeichnungen in den ersten paar Seiten noch etwas ungelenk wirken, ist der Charakter der Figuren schon voll ausgea
Morgan
Feb 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading a 3-in-1 edition, but writing a mini-review for the first volume. I think it was this one I read Latin version in elementary school. I remember liking it then, but of course I didn't really get into the comic because it was in Latin and not English. I should state the comics themselves were originally in French. I liked the fist album in English. I thought it was funny. You can tell this is a early story though. I will defiantly be reading all the Asterix.
Maria Carmo
Brilliant! This very first volume of Asterix is so very funny, and it is like a taste of what is coming with this series: lots of humour, cunning characters and a crude depiction of some of the best and worst psychological characteristics of humanity!

Definitely worth reading this series!

Maria Carmo,

Lisbon, 6 April 2015.
Matti Karjalainen
Vuonna 1961 ranskaksi ilmestynyt "Asterix gallialainen" oli ihan ensimmäinen Asterix-albumi. Sarjakuvan kaikki peruspiirteet ovat jo kohdillaan, mitä nyt henkilöhahmojen ulkomuoto hakee vielä paikkaansa; esimerkiksi Obelix on tainnut lihoa vähäsen vuosien varrella...
Vderevlean
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mare bucurie!
Alex Panagiotopoulos
Το πρωτόλειο της συνεργασίας Γκοσινί/Ουντερζό. Πολλοί πειραματισμοί αφού έβγαινε σελίδα-σελίδα στα πρώτα τεύχη του Pilote και οι αλλαγές με την κάθε σελίδα να σχεδιάζεται για μια εβδομάδα είναι εμφανείς. Αλλιώς απεικονίζεται ο Αστερίξ στην πρώτη σελίδα αλλιώς στην 15η, ο Οβελίξ στην αρχή είναι εύσωμος παρά χοντρός και αυτό αλλάζει στη συνέχεια, ο Πανοραμίξ το ίδιο, ο Ιντεφίξ δεν έχει δημιουργηθεί ακόμα αν και βλέπουμε ένα σκυλί που του μοιάζει κ.α. Δεν είναι κακό, ενώ κάποιος πρέπει να είναι πιο ...more
Stratos
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Οσα χρόνια και να περάσουν ο ΑΣΤΕΡΙΞ θα μας εμβολιάζει με μεγάλες δόσεις γέλιου, χαράς κι ευτυχίας.
Abhiram R
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's been a long time coming but I finally got around to starting with the Asterix comics! Asterix the Gaul was hilarious - a classic tale of outwitting the enemy army with sheer cunning (and a little bit of magic, of course), I couldn't help but draw parallels with the grim story of Iron Man and how he escaped his own captors with the help of Ho Yinsen, the scientist to Asterix's Getafix. Except with more than a shade of humor.
Looking forward to rest of the series.
Manas Maity
Sep 05, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Asterix the Gaul is the first book of a series that took comics to a new height. Since I have read it after enjoying a few others in the series, it is difficult to make an unbiased review of it. However, with the benefit of hindsight it may be said that the characters have 'arrived', but to be properly fleshed out and filled up. Particularly Obelix, who is quite slim, if not so thin. We are sure though that consuming more than one boars at at time, he has made a promising start towards his perso ...more
Mythili
Nov 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Years ago my dad bought the entire collection of Asterix and I had read most of them. Even though I remember the plotlines and the hilarious names, rereading is just as much fun! There is never a dull moment and the situations are so excessively hilarious that I find myself shutting the book to laugh for a good couple of minutes and resuming a moment later.

As far as comics go, Asterix is the best when it comes to historical and political satire. I would recommend this to pretty much anyone.
Kim
One of my favourite comic series of all time. This series really increased my love of history. Like the Tintin reread I'm doing I will also endeavour to read all the Asterix books once again.

Unlike Tintin the early Asterix comics are much more accessible. There is no blatant racism. It's just a fun little adventure. The first book is just an introduction to the main characters and their abilities.

I can't wait to get through the rest of the series.
Chris
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
You haven't met Asterix before? Shame on you. Don't you know that Asterix is so famous he becomes the French farmer facing down the Roman Mickey D's?

Yes, the story is simplstic, but all the things that make Asterix great are here. The punning names, the silly plot, the smart Gauls, the boars.

Great start to a great series.
وائل المنعم
عرفت شخصيتي استريكس وابليكس من الأفلام التي قام ببطولتها جيرارد ديبارديو ووقتها ورغم اعجابي بالشخصيتين إلا أن ثقل ظل الممثلين وبخاصة ديبارديو لم يجعلوني متحمس كفاية لقراءة قصصهما المصورة. الآن وبعد عودتي لقراءة تان تان قررت تجربة قراءة مغامراتهما والنتيجة مرضية للغاية فالشخصات والأحداث تؤشر لعالم من المرح والمتعة.
Ioanna
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read i think all of them...and there is not one i liked less.....This series helped me though my exams to enter university....i would wake up in the morning read one intallment and then i would start studying....and i have re-read them like a thousand times....:)
wihich is your favourite asterix comic? 4 12 Feb 25, 2017 12:23AM
  • Asterix and the Great Divide (Asterix #25)
  • Red Rackham's Treasure (Tintin, #12)
  • Le Nid des Marsupilamis (Spirou et Fantasio, #12)
  • Le Daily Star (Lucky Luke #53)
René Goscinny was a French author, editor and humorist, who is best known for the comic book Astérix, which he created with illustrator Albert Uderzo, and for his work on the comic series Lucky Luke with Morris (considered the series' golden age).

Series:
* Asterix

Astérix (1 - 10 of 38 books)
  • Asterix and the Golden Sickle (Asterix, #2)
  • Asterix and the Goths (Asterix, #3)
  • Asterix the Gladiator (Asterix, #4)
  • Asterix and the Banquet (Astérix #5)
  • Asterix and Cleopatra (Asterix, #6)
  • Asterix and the Big Fight (Asterix, #7)
  • Asterix in Britain (Asterix, #8)
  • Asterix and the Normans (Asterix, #9)
  • Asterix the Legionary (Asterix, #10)
  • Asterix and the Chieftain's Shield (Asterix, #11)