Start by marking “Evernight (Evernight, #1)” as Want to Read:
Evernight (Evernight, #1)

Evernight (Evernight #1)

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  69,490 Ratings  ·  3,187 Reviews
Bianca wants to escape.

She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.

Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to th
Paperback, 1 Reprint Edition, 327 pages
Published February 10th 2009 by HarperTeen (first published May 27th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Evernight, please sign up.
Lily yes, this book has very good character development, the characters pull you in and it makes you feel like you are really there. If you like romance…moreyes, this book has very good character development, the characters pull you in and it makes you feel like you are really there. If you like romance books than this is for you!!!(less)
Lily well I mean if you found your kid naked in a bed with a girl you don't know then that is not the best first impression so when he showed the scar from…morewell I mean if you found your kid naked in a bed with a girl you don't know then that is not the best first impression so when he showed the scar from her bitting him then she was like omg my kid just got bit s when he told her that she helped him then she totally loves her(less)

Haleema
Sorry, guys. I deleted this review because I basically explained the WHOLE damn story in it. It was back when I was a shit reviewer.

But thank you for all those who read and like it! I love you beautiful beings!
Kim
Steph (Reviewer X)
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Rant: Every professional review of this book somehow mentions Stephenie Meyer and/or the Twilight series. Is it just me, or does that annoy anyone else seven ways to Sunday? I get that people want to allude to some of the bestselling series of vampire books ever, but saying "enjoyable (...) for fans of that other vampire series who need something to read while they wait for Breaking Dawn (Meyer, 2008)" (Kirkus) is downright insulting, as it implies that Evernight is no better than a placeholder. ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Kindle freebie 12/7/16

Evernight is a YA paranormal romance. Just understand that going in. If you dislike that genre, it's unlikely that this'll be the book to change your mind. If you do enjoy PNRs, I think this is one of the better novels I've read of its sort. My reasons for liking this one better than most are extremely spoilerish. Really, I enjoyed it much more going into it blind than I would have (view spoiler)
Kat Kennedy
Aug 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Pretty much, I think this rating is going to come as a massive shock to... well, anyone who's ever read a review from me before.

The thing is, Evernight really isn't that bad. In fact, as far as sappy YA paranormal books go, it's not THAT bad.

I don't actually know what to do with myself. I kind of expected a REALLY painful and agonizing reading experience before I came on GR and vomitted vitriol into everyone's faces. I guess you're all spared of that... for now! *Cue evil laugh*

Evernight is the
Jane
Nov 24, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who will give up good writing for some vampire sex and a gothy feel.
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤

Lucas only hesitated for a second. "Bianca, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."
"Lucas?"
His eyes met mine. "I love you."

photo tumblr_mav2oeNMyV1rywet3o1_500_zps5a5gcv0r.gif

HA. That moment when you realize you love a TOTALLY cliche book that almost all your friends (And most of the community) hates. I literally am laughing right now because, really, what are the odds that everyone hates a book I love. It's crazy. But, frankly, I don't care. And, ya know, I'm almost done with the second and I don't QUITE get what everyone's bitching about.

Okay, so, it's
Clare D' Lune
Oct 13, 2008 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book for a few reasons, but the biggest one is probably that it was so...weird. In a bad way. I mean, like they go through half the book and they make her out like she doesn't know anything about what’s happening at the school, and then BANG, all of a sudden, well she knows everything, and had all the time... its just weird. Plus I thought her character was poorly made. First she's all shy and stuff, but then she's like not, and then she is, and so on. And she meets Lucas ONCE ...more
Cassie
Oct 16, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Cassie by: ARC
J.D. Stroube
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
I was surpised to realize that I completely enjoyed myself with this book. It is somewhat of a Romeo & Juliet story of star-crossed lovers whose families are enemies, but with vampires.

The characters are sweet, secretive, and charming at the same time. I loved Lucas throughout the entirety of the book, while it took me a little while to adjust to Bianca. However, once I did I felt that the pairing of these two characters was meant to be!

I ended up being surprised twice during this book, whi
Mizuki
Evernight, book one of Claudia Gray's supernatural YA romance series, provides worthy entertainment to its readers. I enjoyed the book but I also can't overlook its flaws.

First I want to address how utterly overused the plot and setting are. I will write a simple 'Oh I have seen these settings before!' check list:

(1) Gothic, gloomy private school. Check.

(2) A heroine who was shy, socially awkward and had zero self-confidence. Check.

(3) Two hot boys who wanted the heroine's affection. Check.

(4) O
Mel
Jan 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Twitards, girls who love unrealistic and overly romantic love interests
Evernight is set in a very Vampire Knight setting, and is about a girl who is secretly a vampire (yeah right) who falls in love with a boring, uninteresting, controlling Romeo-wannabe and that's it.

Yes, that's it. There is no plot other than that.

This book managed to meet all of my expectations: It blew.

Now some of you may ask me why I bothered reading a book that I knew I wouldn’t like, right? Well the answer is simple: I’m a masochist. I’m somebody who faps over how terrible books are, and
Aeron Trahaearn
(This book is 3 1/2 stars worth)
Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...WTF WAS THIS??
I will try to sum up my reaction in Gif:-

FIRST 10 %

I'm patiently waiting for there to be a point in all this...

...25%...

...35%...

I cant believe this IS A LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT STORY!!

...40%...

I have better things to do...

...50%....

"what...wha..what was THAT??!! she was..she...she was IT all along??"
...65%...

TELL HIM ALREADY!!

...80%...

....Love is in the air!!

...95%...

HE HAS SKELETONS IN HIS CLOSET??
Beatrice Masaluñga
Dec 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: young-adult, owned
A newly transferred student, Bianca Olivier, doesn't want to be in Evernight Academy. She feels like an outcast and finds other students brilliant, competitive and intimidating. When she tries to escape, a mysterious and attractive guy, Lucas Ross, stumbled her way. They easily get along with each other but he warned her not to get close with him. Despite his warnings, she's drawn to him and nothing can stop her for being with him. As their secrets unfold, the connection between them might set a ...more
Deborah Markus
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Holy. Freakin'. COW.

I've been enjoying the reading I'm doing as research for the agents I'd like to query about my own novel. I liked this book more than most from the beginning. It hooked me right in. But it was just a pleasant read, one I was going to give a resounding thumbs-up on Goodreads and then get on with my life.

And then I got about halfway through.

I've read good YA novels. I've read fun paranormal works. And I've read some great surprise endings (the twist in the last Hunger Games nov
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
Damn but I hated this series. I found it completely ridiculous! I couldn't even finish the second book!

For god's sake the plot is boring, the characters idiotic and the heroine... I want to kill the heroine!

Bianca is actually a baby, and I don't mean the fact that she is 16, I mean that she is a naive, whiny, scared little girl who makes one bad decision after another!

We also have the "admirers".

Bachelor No1, "Lucas"... Lucas thinks himself a protector! Oh, but he is gorgeous! My cousin is g
Sarah Mac
The first words that come to mind are dumb & instalove. I've read worse (really, I have -- just recently, in fact :P). But I've read better. So...there you go.

Part of the problem is how everyone talks & acts like they're 7 instead of 17 (or 19, in other cases). The romance is schmoopy-lovey-dovey-eyes for no good reason other than the fact that it's instalove, & therefore everyone should be on board with Bianca & Lucas as a central pairing. Alas, Bianca & Lucas are personali
Joyzi
Jun 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Peeps who don't mind rip-offs
Recommended to Joyzi by: Youtube
What I like:
>The book has vampires and vampire hunters in it.
>The book has an interesting love triangle.
>I love Lucas.
>It wasn't boring and a nice quick read.
>Truth is it's hard to put the book down.
>I love that the story has twists in it.

What I don't like:
>Lacks originality, the plot is a mix of Twilight (average girl goes to new school, falls for hot, mysterious guy) and Vampire Knight (love story between a vampire and a vampire hunter).
>Cheesy dialogues that made me wa
~Tina~
Dec 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
::SPOILER ALERT::

Before anything else, I'm just going to get this part out of the way...

So I'm reading this book, and for awhile there I was wondering why it had so many bad reviews? I was having a lot of fun with the world, the characters and the charming love story.

Then...chapter 8 happened!

Seven chapters into this story, we view Bianca as a shy 16 year old kid. She's mad at her parents for bring her to Evernight, a bordering school that her parents will be teaching at. She doesn't think she b
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
OK!! I am shocked!! I was reading and reading! I reached chapter 7 and then BOOM!! The story was leading to some point but I am not sure I get what is going on! How could Bianca not know that she was a vampire?

Ok! She knows but she is confusing me!

Another shocker is Chapter 15!! Lucas is a Vampire Hunter!!! I knew something was wrong when he said to Bianca:"Don't ask me to do this. Don't give me that chance." But this I wasn't expecting! Great Book! I liked that there is a character named Dana j
Buggy
Jan 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Opening Line: “It was the first day of school, which meant it was my last chance to escape.”

This had been sitting on my bookshelf for a couple of years. I guess I bought it during the whole Twilight/vampire craze, I don’t remember. Anyways I finally got around to reading it and it took me ages to get through although I can’t quite put my finger on why? Could be that I’m just done with this type of story, you know teens and angst and high school drama with a side of vampires, plus this was just m
Sarah  (sarahandherbookshelves)
I enjoyed this!

I have seen this around the book store a couple times, but didnt really think anything of it. Then one day my mom saw the newest one in the series, and said "Sarah this one look good". Of course I knew that there where three more ahead of that one so I went and picked it up. Glad I did.

For me there where 3 twists in this book. The two that happened at once, the third later on. I was pretty shocked actually. I did suspect the vampire thing though. Bianca is likeable, I didn't mind
Margaret Stohl
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Compulsively readable. Like, went to go buy the next book that night but they didn't have it at Dolly's...Will drive into SLC tomorrow for the sequel. Is that so wrong?
Yani
Aviso : la reseña tiene un spoiler (no es grave, pero es spoiler al fin) que oculté debidamente.

Encontré pocas cosas que me gustaron de este libro, pero son lo suficientemente buenas (desde mi perspectiva, claro está) como para que no pasara a integrar mi lista negra de una sola estrella. Es un 2.5 que no quise redondear hacia arriba porque he leído inicios de series mejores. Una equiparación hubiera sido algo injusta.

Bianca es una chica de dieciséis años a la que se le ocurre fugarse de la es
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
Sixteen-year-old Bianca Olivier is the only daughter of two teachers who have decided that to help Bianca overcome her shyness and become more involved in the world, they are sending her to Evernight Academy, an isolated boarding school. She's not going alone though: both her parents get teaching jobs at the school, but Bianca hates it as soon as she sees it. With its huge towers, gargoyles and Gothic architecture, the old school intimidates her as much as the principal, Mrs Bethany, does.

On the
Wendy F
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I just can't give it one star, though I really didn't like it. One star ratings are for books that made me want to pluck out my eyeballs. I didn't want to do that, but only by a little.

This book was so stupid. It was just stupid. The world, the ideas, the vampires... just stupid. The only thing that even remotely made it interesting was Lucas and the bit he brought into it. Still, even the Black Crosses weren't enough to save this one for me.

I took notes as I was reading. There were many times
Annalisa
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Annalisa by: Annie
Gray starts out luring readers into believing they are reading a Twilight replica: the bronze-haired boy with chiseled features (yes, she uses the word the words bronze and chiseled) who is way too fast to be normal and such uncanny perception that maybe he can read minds. Then there's the unpretty, unsure-of-herself girl protagonist with her copy of Wuthering Heights that is shy and out of place in her new school and confused about these strange students who don't seem to eat and are way too be ...more
Miss Clark
Oct 15, 2008 rated it it was ok
kari
Jan 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, 2010
Surprisingly, I really enoyed this book. It was almost on the edge of eyerolling, but was rescued just in time.
Bianca, an awkward, shy young teenage girl, begins the year at a new school where she meets Lucas, a mysterious boy with bronze hair that warns her away from him while yet another dark haired and muscular boy, Balthazar, whom she thinks of as only a friend, is also interested in her. Sound vaguely familiar?
Bianca spends too much time thinking about Lucas, almost to where I was starting
Alina
Apr 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Also daaaaas war nicht meins x) Ich mag eigentlich Vampirgeschichten aber das war so ein richtiger reinfall. Ich musste mich regelrecht zwingen, bis zur Hälfte passierte erstmal nichts dann kam eine Wendungen die mich überrascht hat dann lange wieder nichts mehr und erst auf den letzten 80 Seiten war es endlich bisschen Action reicher. Deswegen auch die 2 Sterne. Ich weiß nicht was ich jetzt mit dem 2 Teil machen werde. Noch eime Chance geben oder nicht? Jetzt lesen? Pause machen? Ich überlege e ...more
YA Buddy Readers'...: The Evernight series - Claudia Gray Restarting March 20th 2018 199 199 Mar 21, 2018 03:56AM
Nook books: December 9, 2016 1 1 Dec 09, 2016 07:13PM
The Nooks of Books: Evernight 1 2 Jan 28, 2015 02:27AM
Can't wait to read this book! 4 16 Aug 04, 2014 03:38AM
  • Vampire Beach: Volume 2 (Vampire Beach, #3-4)
  • Carpe Corpus (The Morganville Vampires, #6)
  • Blood Feud (Drake Chronicles, #2)
  • Girls That Growl (Blood Coven Vampire, #3)
  • The Coffin Club (Vampire Kisses, #5)
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
  • Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side (Jessica, #1)
  • Infinite Days (Vampire Queen, #1)
  • The Eternal Kiss: 13 Vampire Tales of Blood and Desire
  • Full Moon (Dark Guardian, #2)
  • Tantalize (Tantalize, #1)
  • My Soul to Keep (Soul Screamers, #3)
  • Defiance (Strange Angels, #4)
  • Night World, No. 1 (Night World, #1-3)
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more
More about Claudia Gray

Evernight (5 books)
  • Stargazer (Evernight, #2)
  • Hourglass (Evernight, #3)
  • Afterlife (Evernight, #4)
  • Balthazar (Evernight, #5)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Loved (House of Night Other World #1)
    $11.00 $0.99
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“It’s funny—when people call you “shy,” they usually smile. Like it’s cute, some funny little habit you’ll grow out of when you’re older, like the gaps in your grin when your baby teeth fall out. If they knew how it felt—really being shy, not just unsure at first—they wouldn’t smile. Not if they knew how the feeling knots up your stomach or makes your palms sweat or robs you of the ability to say anything that makes sense. It’s not cute at all.” 456 likes
“Self-knowledge is better than self-control any day," Raquel said firmly. "And I know myself well enough to know how I act around cookies.” 417 likes