Start by marking “The Perfect Weapon” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Weapon

The Perfect Weapon

(Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens)

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens with this exclusive ebook short story set shortly before the events of the film, featuring a quick-witted mercenary who takes big risks for bigger rewards—and now faces the challenge that will take her to the edge.

There are plenty of mercenaries, spies, and guns for hire in the galaxy. But probably none as dangerous and determined as
Published November 24th 2015 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Weapon, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
John Possibly Luke's lightsaber.

Mogsy (MMOGC)
3-3.5 of 5 stars. Star Wars: The Perfect Weapon is a tale about Bazine Netal, a character who made an appearance in a quick scene in Maz's Castle from The Force Awakens. She was the creepy black-lipsticked female informant who we first saw sharing a couch with that huge Dowutin alien. This short story provides a bit of background for her, with a focus around one of her past missions. On the whole a fun and fast read, but in the end, probably one that you can take or leave. It's not vital to the ...more
Lyn
Dec 24, 2015 rated it liked it
In the 2015 film The Force Awakens (very obscure - look it up on IMDB) in the cantina scene, there is a scary looking female sitting with an enormous bad guy. This is Bazine Netal, and she is a badass. If Abrams and company are smart, we’ll see more from her.

Delilah S. Dawson makes a fun contribution to Star Wars canon with this 2015 short story that provides some backstory to this very interesting character. In the Bobba Fett / Lando Calrisian tradition: another lovable rogue.

description
Chad
Dec 14, 2015 rated it liked it
Much better than Star Wars: Aftermath. At least this story has a point. How it leads into The Force Awakens we'll have to see.
Janne
Mar 22, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mary Sue dons a dominatrix outfit and proceeds to indulge in every horrid cliche about Strong Female Protagonist ever whilst interacting with other horrid literary cliches that have been assigned random starwarsy names, and making sure everyone is reminded every third paragraph about how sexy and kickass she is.

If Mara Jade had a grave she would be spinning in it. I'm off to read some fanfic to recover.
Yolanda Sfetsos
Mar 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I started reading a book yesterday that I couldn't get into and since The Last Jedi is still fresh in my mind, I started reading this short story...

And was totally hooked!

Bazine Netal is ruthless. She's great with disguises and totally lethal with any and every weapon. She's sharp, clever and unforgiving. But teaming up with amateurs isn't something she likes.

When she's hired to track down a case that belonged to an ex-stormtrooper, and has to teach someone along the way, she's determined to get
Tiara
Read more reviews @ The Bibliosanctum

Narrator: January LaVoy | Length: 1 hrs and 57 mins | Audiobook Publisher: Random House Audio (November 24, 2015) | Whispersync Ready: No

2.5-3 stars. Interesting story, but...

Very slight spoilers, but you’ve been warned.

I’m one of those people who is easily distracted by secondary characters to the point of joining their cult followings, and I’m not sorry. My most recent secondary character obsession is, Benzine Netal, a character from Star Wars: The Force A
Holden Johnson
Pretty solid short story, though if I'm being honest I was mainly reading it just for the canon information, not out of enjoyment.

Now I'm not saying that there was anything wrong with it. The writing was solid. The character was interesting. I'm just being honest in my motivations to read this story. It didn't really provide me with any valuable information and It could probably have been skipped over.

A solid 3, maybe 3.5 because of subject matter.
Mario
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
A perfectly crafted story about a completely new character which serves as a comprehensive introduction, narrates a worthy challenge and manages to include some vital information about the future of Star Wars. The only weak point is that just as Aftermath, the mystery is not solved and an appropriate conclusion is nowhere to be found.
Lance Shadow
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
During the cantina scene from The Force Awakens that occurs when Han Solo, Finn, Rey, and BB8 make their way to Maz Kanata's castle on Takodana, the camera cuts to an attractive but shady looking woman. The first time, she is sitting with a big hunky alien and stroking one of his tusks as our heroes walk by, and the second time you see her pull out a comlink to notify the First Order that BB8 has been found. This woman is revealed to be the deadly mercenary Bazine Netal, and the character is giv ...more
Chauncey Rogers
The good thing about this book was that it was my first exposure to Star Wars audiobooks. If you like Star Wars, the audiobooks are fantastic. They're borderline audiodramas, with sound effects and music included. Very fun to listen to, in my opinion.

But this book? There just wasn't much of a point to it. I read/listened to the whole thing because I had a long commute, but otherwise probably would have switched over to something else.
Robert
Nov 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: guerre-stellari
A fun, short read about a hyper-competent stabby-stabby-killy-killy female operator and her sudden but inevitable betrayal while on a mysterious smash and grab job.

PS Yes, the skullcap hood and the mesh shirt get origin stories. I kid you not.
Halle
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Bazine is a badass.
Badseedgirl
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Not really my cup of tea, but read for "Star Wars Day."
Kyle Warner
Remember that lady from The Force Awakens whose in that bar that kinda reminds you of the bar from A New Hope except that one dude isn’t pushing on Luke and talking about his grunty friend that don’t like nobody before Old Ben starts chopping? That lady! She calls the bad dudes! She’s on the front cover of this here book! Turns out, that lady’s name is Bazine and she’s not to be trifled with. She’s basically a freelance assassin/spy with a dangerous set of skills. She’s also really cool; part an ...more
Danielle
Oct 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Read this review and more on my blog.

With Rouge One less than 60 days away now I decided that I should start tackling the ridiculous amount of Star Wars books that I need to get through.

The Perfect Weapon is based around Bazine Netal, the person in Max Kanata castle who altered the First Order to BB-8's location.

The storyline in The Perfect Weapon was very straightforward, Bazine needs to complete a mission and she does not fully understand what she has gotten herself into. I feel like Dawson tr
Loren
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I saw the femme fatale in black lipstick in the cantina in The Force Awakens, I thought: I would read a book about her. This is it and of the Star Wars books I've read so far, this is my favorite.

The characterization is fun. The back story is crucial to the plot. Bazine is competent and believable. The double cross surprised me.

The only reasons I'm knocking a star off is because the story doesn't so much wrap up as quit. The adventure isn't over when the story stops. In fact Bazine's lack o
Josh
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bazine is the kind of character I wish was in Aftermath: Empire's End. She'd fit so perfectly with author Chuck Wendig's band of bounty hunters. Hope to see more of this character in cannon books, perhaps she'll make an appearance in Phasma, which is also written by Delilah Dawson.

In The Perfect Weapon, author Deliah Dawson crams in a decent back story to make Bazine a rich character full of purpose and hate. I see this bounty hunter with a bit part in The Force Awakens as the modern Star Wars
Kevin Anderson
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Rating this story wasn't easy

I gave this story five stars, even though four would be fine, because there wasn't anything I found uninteresting about it. Ms. Dawson created an intriguing history for a character that would normally be just a colorful piece of background decor we would be left wondering about as the camera quickly passes over her. Now I can say, "I know her story!" as soon as I see her on screen.
Amy Sturgis
This is not essential reading for understanding The Force Awakens, but it does provide an entertaining backstory for Bazine Netal, who enjoys an intriguing cameo moment during the sequence in Maz Kanata's haven.
rachael ♡
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
“She closed his eye and stood, tall and proud. Perhaps he’d sought to forge her into the perfect weapon, but the sharpening had been her own doing.”

4.5 stars! I am so glad I read this.

Dawson wonderfully developed Bazine Netal into a multi-faceted character in the short span of THE PERFECT WEAPON. All I knew about Bazine from Episode 7 was that she seemed to be very capable and elusive. I am glad to know now that I was not wrong in that assumption.

I enjoyed the absence of a large number of
Definitely fun, but I wouldn't say necessary if you're out to read all the Star Wars content. The audio book was a lot of fun, though I'm not sure about the melodramatic writing. Might have just been a stylistic choice for the character however, I've read other books by Delilah Dawson and it wasn't as intense as this. I did really like the descriptions of locals and views, those were lovely.
As a note - I do like the cover, as simple as it is. It fits.
Chuy Ruiz
Jan 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Good short story about a bounty hunter that gets hardly any screen time in Episode VII. Enjoyed reading it.
John Stinebaugh
Not the best story and a bit predictable, its still a fun foray into the background of the denizens of the Star Wars Universe.
Jody
Jun 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Enjoyable, quick read. Stand alone story for a mercenary character from The Force Awakens.
Geekritique
Jun 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Find this an many more reviews at Geekritique!

There are a lot of people in the Galaxy far, far away. But if you're a living humanoid creature and you're not a Jedi, Sith, Imperial, or Rebel (or whatever the prequel/sequel equivalent is), there's a strong chance you're a bounty hunter/mercenary. Enter Bazine Netal, 'The Perfect Weapon.' A character who's incredibly attractive looks help her immensely in the mercenary field, as much as it is a nuisance any other time. But don't be fooled: she does
Martina
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Nothing special, a bit dull. I expected nothing and got received nothing.
Jim C
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a short story that is part of the new canon. This story has the character Bazine Netal who was seen in The Force Awakens. She is hired to retrieve a silver case and during this retrieval Bazine shows us how she is formidable and deadly.

I read this short story via audio book and I believe that is why my rating is favorable. The production value is top notch and the narrator was fantastic. It is extremely quick too as it is under two hours. There isn't much character development in this st
Richard Rich
Dec 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Bad writing.
I hate it when a sci-fi writer resorts to describing things in an alien setting with alien beings by comparing them to things in our world. The writer described someting as hanging like an empty sleeping bag. That's just lazy writing. It happened a lot in this story. In the latter half of the story the main character has to infiltrate a place that has been taken over by insect-like creatures that are basically giant Earth bees; there's a hive, wax, and even honeycomb structures. Real
Julie
A short story fleshing out the character of Bazine Netal, who briefly appears in Star Wars: The Force Awakens. I really enjoyed this. It gives you a great sense of the character, but doesn't tie directly to TFA (at least, nothing is overtly explained that ties directly to it) so you don't feel like you'd be missing anything crucial if you didn't get to read it. Well worth picking up on Kindle, and I'll be looking forward to Ms. Dawson's future SW contributions.
Steve Davala
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
More background stories for characters you saw two seconds of in the new movie!
This is actually a fun "Read" (I listened to this on Audible). Bazine Netal, an assassin/mercenary, is offered a mission, and once she accepts it, the story is a wild ride until the end.

No real time line in regards to The Force Awakens is given, but it didn't matter to me. I found the characters likable and believable.

• All Creatures Great and Small
  • The Weapon of a Jedi: A Luke Skywalker Adventure
  • Moving Target: A Princess Leia Adventure
  • Smuggler's Run: A Han Solo & Chewbacca Adventure
  • The Rebellion Begins (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Winner Lose All (Star Wars)
  • Most Wanted (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of the Empire
  • The Snare (Star Wars: Adventures in Wild Space, #1)
  • Ezra's Gamble (Star Wars Rebels)
  • Solo: A Star Wars Story (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.5)
  • Inferno Squad (Star Wars: Battlefront, #2)
Delilah S. Dawson writes whimsical and dark Fantasy for adults and teens. Her Blud series for Pocket includes Wicked as They Come, Wicked After Midnight, and Wicked as She Wants, winner of the RT Book Reviews Steampunk Book of the Year and May Seal of Excellence for 2013. Her YA debut, Servants of the Storm, is a Southern Gothic Horror set in Savannah, GA, and HIT is about teen assassins in a bank ...more

Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Aftermath (Star Wars: Aftermath, #1)
  • Lost Stars (Star Wars)
  • Star Wars: C-3PO - The Phantom Limb
  • High Noon on Jakku
  • All Creatures Great and Small
  • The Face of Evil
“People were people, and they’d double-cross you or die on you no matter where they were from.” 1 likes
“The night was young, and Bazine Netal was hunting.” 0 likes