Start by marking “Flower” as Want to Read:
Flower

Flower

These are the things that I've always wanted:

To get the top grades in my class.

To make my grandmother proud.

And most of all, proof that I could succeed where the rest of my family had not: a Stanford acceptance letter, early admission.

My mother and my sister were obsessed with boys and love and sex. So obsessed that they lost sight of their futures, of what they wanted
Published January 3rd 2017 by Harlequin Teen (first published June 27th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Flower, please sign up.
Megan In the acknowledgements, Shea Olsen wrote, "First, thank you to Elizabeth Craft for being the brainchild behind Flower; without your initial idea, the…moreIn the acknowledgements, Shea Olsen wrote, "First, thank you to Elizabeth Craft for being the brainchild behind Flower; without your initial idea, the seed of this story never could have taken root."

It's not clear from Elizabeth's acknowledgements if she did anything else or not. After the thanks to Alloy and HarlequinTEEN teams, there's this cryptic line: "Thanks to my agent, Christie Fletcher-- I swear I'll write the next one eventually."(less)
Rebel of the Sands by Alwyn HamiltonBlackhearts by Nicole CastromanThe Girl from Everywhere by Heidi HeiligEver the Hunted by Erin SummerillIvory and Bone by Julie Eshbaugh
YA Debuts 2016
256 books — 1,440 voters
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra ClareKing's Cage by Victoria AveyardCarve the Mark by Veronica RothCaraval by Stephanie GarberFlame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh
YA Novels of 2017
1,104 books — 8,467 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Flower
Veronika's ReaderFeeder
Sorry guys, but it was just not my book. It was so lame, like a really bad teenage movie. The story and the characters had no depth at all, and there were so much hot and cold scenes in it. There were moments when I just had to laugh because the whole story was so incredibly cliché. Sorry.
Diane
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A GUILTY PLEASURE!
Like an ice cream sundae or german chocolate cake with whipped cream... I devoured this book!

Look, this isn't a profound book that tackles any important issues, it isn't even a particularly new story concept, but just like 50 Shades of Gray captured readers attention, this book satisfies the same desire for a book that entertains and keeps the readers engaged. It's fun, sexy and uncomplicated. Sometimes, that's just the kind of book we need. It's reality TV at its finest. And
Vanessa
I got a free copy of the German edition of this book through Amazon Vine and boy, am I glad I didn't pay money for this!

"Flower" tells the story of Charlotte - a good girl who only cares about school and stays away from boys - and Tate - a famous singer who immediately falls for her when he sees her through a shop window.

At the beginning of the story we find out that Charlotte doesn't date and has sworn off guys and sex until at least after college because she doesn't want to end up like her m
Harriet T
Feb 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Finally got my hands on this book!
Not sure how the two authors divided their writing but it feels like one author wrote it and the other plotted it. The two seem at odds. The writing was stunning and lyrical and I felt swept up in it. But the plot fell a little flat for me. Seen other reviews call it cliche and that seems about right.
Anyone know who plotted it and who wrote it??

* five stars for writing
* two stars for plot.
Laurie Flynn
Jan 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What makes a book unputdownable? As an author, I wish I knew that magic formula! But the authors of FLOWER, Shea Olsen and Elizabeth Craft, clearly have it down to a science. I could not put this book down... I read it in bed, while eating breakfast, while cuddling on the couch with my dog. It came with me to work, where I spent my lunch break whipping through pages instead of doing my own writing... whoops. Every time I thought I should probably put it down and save it for later, something woul ...more
Kelly
Dec 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Going into this book, I wasn’t expecting much. While I knew that it wasn’t going to be a piece of literary gold, I at least thought that it would be a fun read that I would enjoy.

Let’s just say that I was wrong.

I find that many books these days suffer from one major flaw: an unlikeable main character. And, Flower is no exception.

Charlotte Reed is an 18 year-old straight A student who has sworn off boys until after university. She wants to reach her educational and occupational goals (get into S
Rebecca McNutt
I received a copy of this in a Goodreads giveaway.

Flower isn't a bad or unoriginal story, in fact, I found its plot to be very interesting. What I really didn't like were the constant references to cellular phones and social media. Is the world seriously at a point now where being addicted 24/7 to digital technology isn't bad enough, but we have to write about it, too? Here's an excerpt from the book so you can see what I mean...

My cell dings in my purse. a high-pitched whistle that sounds like
Jess
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Disclaimer: I was sent this book by the author in exchange for an honest review.

When first read about Flower I thought that it was going to be an amazing read and I was really excited to receive a copy. A few chapters in I was hooked! I couldn't put the book down!

As the story progresses, I began to become a bit skeptical about Tate and Charlotte's relationship. After the third breakup, the plot began to get a bit boring. One of the highlights of the novel was when Charlotte began to become her
Kathryn
Mar 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
So, this book was bought for me and I thought, "Hey, maybe it will be good. I'm 18 and so is the main. Maybe I can relate." At first, yes. When I was working to get into college, I was very focused like Charlotte and I also had a job that I worked at everyday after school. She was pretty okay as a person.

Then Tate came into the picture. Might I add that he has no personality whatsoever. He is literally just an attractive superstar who is void of everything but lust and "oh my god, Charlotte". A
Misty D. Waters
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Having not been saturated in contemporary YA/NA, I found myself completely immersed in this book that was artfully written by Shea Olsen. The characters held me rapt while the pace propelled from underneath. The romantic tension was reminiscent of Twilight Saga/50 Shades, but there was a pleasant touch of Cruel Intentions in the heroine Charlotte that the aforementioned lacked. I applaud Shea's nerve in tackling a character in these circumstances, because that line between a strong and weak char ...more
Cheryl Ryan
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young adult
Beautiful book. Beautiful cover. Can't wait to read!
Simona
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: wtf
STUPID !
Janet
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Annie Stone
Mar 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Working on this book right now--it's such a fun one, everyone! Get ready to be scandalized, seduced, and romanced by this one-of-a-kind book!
Irene△⃒⃘➰
2.5/5 ~ The story was actually cute and okay but the main girl is so unnerving omg I couldn’t stand her!!
Caroline Fosse
May 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
Just another book where the main character is «not like every other girl» and suddenly meets this hot guy who turns out to be a superstar without her knowing. This is getting really old, and usually these types of books are just the same. One girl and one boy, not talking about their relationship, not communicating the way a couple should and acting childish.. constantly breaking up and getting back together so the book fill the 300 pages mark.

I'm not even going to put spoiler warning on this r
Molly
Oct 24, 2017 added it
Flower, by Elizabeth Craft, is about a young woman in high school who, all her life has focussed on nothing but school. Since there have been generations of women in her family who have ended up in a bad relationship with a fatherless child as the result, Charlotte has promised to herself that she will show absolutely no interest in boys, parties, celebrity gossip or any other teenager distractions. That is until she runs into him while working the night shift at her job in a flower shop. She's ...more
Karina Eliassen
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
Greta
Apr 08, 2017 rated it liked it
2,75-3 stars.
I don't know... When I first read the synopsis, I thought it will be a great psychological contemporary read but... The fact that there will be a rock star wasn't mentioned. I'm not fan of Charlotte - her decisions were lame and sometimes even stupid. It feels like there were billion times when she said that she was humiliated but she behaved like nothing happened. It was easy to read, so the writing style is really good, there were really good ideas emphasized but I just can't forg
Megan
Aug 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017
I was looking for something light and easy, but this was just boring and I was actively rooting against the main couple. The characters were flat, they had no emotional intimacy or romantic moments, Tate came across as stalkery and emotionally abusive at times, and some great potential conflicts never happened.

I should have listened to my instincts and stopped the first time I read the cliched, misogynistic 'I like you because you're not like other girls' lines that insult all girls everywhere.
Kali Cole
Aug 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I’m sorry but the insta-love within this book was so excruciatingly painful, I’m shocked that I finished this. I hate how the main character gave this unworthy guy more chances than he deserved. She’s only known him for a short amount of time! If it was years I totally would have been more understanding, but months of lies and I’m sorry‘s just wouldn’t slide with me. This definitely wasn’t the story for me and I wish I did like it but I didn’t.
Carrie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was adorable. It was a super light and easy read and was what I needed. The characters were cute and the storyline is everything I love in a romantic comedy. If this was a movie it would be the one I watch far too often haha! Great book!
elena bomfim
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Flower is a good book, written about a girl named Charlotte. Charlotte is a high schooler who has her future planned and knows exactly how her life will go. Even though she's pretty, she's never had a boyfriend, or thought of it- until she met Tate. Tate happens to be the biggest pop star on the planet, and Charlotte doesn't realize it for a while, since she's not "into that stuff". They start falling in love...but what happens to Charlotte's future? And, Tate, the biggest pop star on the planet ...more
Melany Joanne
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was not and amazing or even a great book, but for some reason the ending really got me. It was a really slow build up and the details were very superficial so I didn't have a chance to get too attached to the main characters. It reminded me a lot of true love story by Willow Aster and I guess thats why i finally gave it four stars.......
Reilly
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was ok
the misogyny❤️ the generalizations ❤️ the predictable plot line❤️ and, my favorite, the “not like other girls” trope ❤️, it’s perfect🥰. also kind of obsessed with the theme that women can literally achieve nothing while in a relationship with a man, what a concept. two stars, but in the best way.
Caroline Hanssen
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book <3 I really couldn't put this book down!

Yes, it's really predictable but these kind of books are my guilty pleasure! The fastest book I've read this year!
Oda Renate
Dnf-ing.
This book... God I cant take it,
Its all about the hot guy even though- am-not-dating-unnti-am -thirty- oohh sexy guy okay maybe not...grrr...
Aimee Dubief belding
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Loved this cute and sizzling romantic YA novel. Made me want to hear Tate Collins' music and hang out with the sweet, smart, and determined Charlotte. Kind of the typical good girl meets bad boy story line, but still fun and entertaining. Would recommend to anyone who enjoys this genre!
Jody Phillips
Jun 03, 2017 rated it did not like it
I wish I had the option to give this book a minus 10.

I read it because I love Gretchen Rubin's work and she recommended it. I'm not a fan of syrupy romance stories, so that's my starting point, then you have the constant mind changing with both Tate and Charlotte, characters I could not warm up to. There was only sexual chemistry between these characters and their romance was wholly unbelievable.

And speaking of sexual chemistry-- I think this work of fiction is nothing more than teenage girl p
*haily*
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveways, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Season
  • Imperfetti
  • Malakai: Volumul 1 (Malakai, #1)
  • When It's Real
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Vanilla Sky
  • Būti (su) Ragana
  • Wounded
  • Lacivert
  • Until We Meet Again
  • Puerta con puerta (Hermanos Montoya, #1)
  • Malakai: Volumul 2 (Malakai, #2)
  • Kiss Me in Paris
  • 26 Kisses
  • Karamel
  • The Problem with Forever
  • The Next Flame (Fall Away, #4 & 4.5)
Elizabeth Craft and Sarah Fain wrote their first piece together when they were fifteen - a feature on Kansas City delis for their high school newspaper.

They now live in Los Angeles, where Sarah and Liz are currently Writer-Producers on the Emmy-award winning show "The Shield" and James Patterson's upcoming "Women's Murder Detective Club" TV series debuting this fall on ABC.

News & Interviews

“If I don't know the worst thing about you, how can I ever really care about you?” 7 likes
“Non esiste una parola peggiore di “potenziale”. È la storia di tutte le cose che non saranno mai” 2 likes