Start by marking “Tomas Young's War” as Want to Read:
Tomas Young's War

Tomas Young's War

Tomas Young’s War is the tragic yet life affirming story of a paralyzed Iraq War veteran who spent his last ten years battling heroically with his injuries, while courageously speaking against America's wars.

Based on hours of interviews with Young and those close to him, the book puts the reader alongside Young as he struggles with life as a paralyzed veteran, suffering fr
Published April 26th 2016 by Haymarket Books (first published April 12th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Tomas Young's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tomas Young's War

Start your review of Tomas Young's War
Aaron Marvel
Apr 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really tough book to read but a really important one. There's not enough of truth and reality when it comes to the public seeing the horrors of war, and that's a very dangerous thing. Especially in a war like the Iraqi war which was, by all accounts, a war we never should have been in, and that affected such a small percentage of the population. Basically, it was far too easy for most of the USA to turn a blind eye to the consequences of this war, which were great. Not the least of which, for th ...more
Z
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good read and worth the time. The chronology seems odd at times, but Tomas's story is one that cannot be forgotten. It would be nice if society could learn from it. No More War.
Jdshankles
Jul 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the story of Tomas Young, an Iraq War vet, who was severely wounded after less than a week in Iraq. After taking a bullet in the chest, Tomas was paralyzed from the chest down. Despite insufficient health care and a horrid cocktail of physical and mental complications, Tomas went on to become a pro-soldier, anti-Iraq-War activist.

This book captures the hidden side of war (especially the war in Iraq) and the tragic story of one soldier, which is sadly the story of many soldiers. But it a
Joe Xtarr
May 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I didn't love this book. I liked reading it, but it didn't move me in any meaningful way. The writing itself is engaging. No complaints there. What I learned from this tale is that a young man was really upset that he got hurt trying to kill Iraqi civilians instead of Afghani civilians. Young is still pro-war, but somehow against wars that are based on lies. Well, guess what...all wars are based on lies, deception, and immoral justifications. Our intervention in Iraq was not a mistake. It was a ...more
Martha Schwalbe
Aug 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As I sit pondering this book, I am reminded of a talk I heard by a mother back in 1982 or '83. She said that she would stop being pro-choice when the government stopped sending our babies into wars to be killed when they're older.
I think this should be required reading for every member of Congress in every state and in Washington, D.C. and for every would-be-president. I also think every WASP man, of any age, should read it.
Mark Wilkerson's book is eloquently written as it addresses Tomas Young
Mary Robinson
Jun 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I RECEIVED A COPY OF THIS BOOK FROM GOOD READS. TTHIS WAS AN AMAZING STORY ABOUT HOW THOMAS YOUNG ARMY SOLDIER WHO WAS SERVING IN IRAQ. HE WAS PARALYZED AS RESULT OF AN ATTACK. ONCE HE WAS HOME HE STRUGGLED TO RECOVER FROM HIS INJURIES. HE JOINED OTHER VETS IN THE FIGHT AGAINST WAR. tHE PHOTOS AND STORIES WERE HEART WRENCHING. i WOULD HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS STORY TO OTHERS.
Gaby
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book details on the history and the government at that time 2001 and the horrible attack to the twin towers and all the soldiers that had to suffer unfortunately. all the courage that Thomas went through and his opposition to an illegal war
Steve
Jun 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Difficult to read about Tomas' struggle, but essential to understand what our veterans endure. War is often glamorized, but this book gives the reader insight into the ravages of war and the mistreatment of veterans.
Angie
Apr 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good. I can't wait to see the series the Long Road Home
Susan Walker
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you want an up lifing book this is it. I was so impressed by the emotional story of Tomas Young. What he has gone thru is very inspiring.
Craig Williams
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The true story of a young Iraqi War vet who, after being paralyzed during his first mission, returns to speak out against the unjust war that cost him so much.

Tomas Young's War is an inspiring story of making the most out of personal tragedy in order to prevent the same fate from befalling others, as well as a damning indictment of the illegal war in Iraq and the LUDICROUS treatment wounded veterans experience when they return. Tomas comes across as a relatable, affable guy who went into the mi
Alyah
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: disability-lit
A very intense read but worth every page. What happened to Tomas both in battle and his subsequent VA treatment broke my heart and knowing this continues to happen to Vets everyday breaks it all over again. His radical voice will not be lost to the void but is immortalized forever by his work as an activist and through this book. May he rest in power!
Lauren
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Everyone who cares about the well-being of our nation's veterans should read this book about the life of an Iraq war veteran.
Alliepoletti
rated it it was ok
Apr 22, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »

• Venus in Furs
  • I Am Not a Serial Killer (John Cleaver, #1)
  • The Human Bone Manual
  • Museum Registration Methods
  • Member of the Family: My Story of Charles Manson, Life Inside His Cult, and the Darkness That Ended the Sixties
  • Body Worlds The Original Exhibition of Real Human Bodies - Catalog
  • The Archaeology of Death and Burial (Texas A&M University Anthropology, 3)
  • The Time of My Life
  • The Incomplete History of Secret Organizations: An Utterly Unreliable Account of Netflix's A Series of Unfortunate Events
  • Worth Fighting For: Love, Loss, and Moving Forward
  • John Wayne Gacy: Defending a Monster
  • Finding Me: A Decade of Darkness, a Life Reclaimed - A Memoir of the Cleveland Kidnappings
  • My Story