Start by marking “The Mysterious Abductions (The Nocturnals #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mysterious Abductions (The Nocturnals #1)

The Mysterious Abductions

(The Nocturnals #1)

The Nocturnals features three unlikely friends: Dawn, a serious fox; Tobin, a sweet pangolin; and Bismark, the loud-mouthed, pint-sized sugar glider. The stories all play out in their nighttime world with teamwork, friendship, and humor in every adventure.

In The Mysterious Abductions, the animals form a brigade of the night after a random encounter with a blood-thirsty
Published April 19th 2016 by Fabled Films Press

To ask other readers questions about The Mysterious Abductions, please sign up.
Stacey Ashton Rachel-
Rachel-
So glad your daughter loved the book! I spoke to Tracey and she loves your daughter's question! We think maybe all "puck" interference is a violation! Please tell her we are going to use her question with kids and parents on our Facebook page at launch in April.
Watch for the Noc Hoc Rules!
So great to hear from you!
Stacey and Tracey(less)

Start your review of The Mysterious Abductions (The Nocturnals #1)
Suzanne
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-kid-lit
Imagine life as a nocturnal animal, sleeping by day and active by night. How different the world would be if you only saw it in shadows and silvery moonlight. What would you do if suddenly other animals started disappearing? Perhaps you hear rumors, a faint call for help, or even the sound of a scuffle. Who could be doing this and why? That is what happens to the characters in The Mysterious Abductions. Three very different animals - Tobin the pangolin, Bismarck the sugar glider, and Dawn the ...more
Angela
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
An animal friendship adventure that ends with a life-and-death hockey match? Of course!

This is a unique gift book for young readers of any age. Recommend as a modern tale for fans of A.A. Milne and Kenneth Grahame.
tinabel
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: pgc, young-readers
An engaging and gently educational middle grade novel about a group of unlikely friends—a brash and proud sugar glider, a timid pangolin, and a gentle but clever fox—who team up to investigate a string of animal kidnappings in the forest where they live.
Ella C.
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I liked the pangolin. Also, I like the kiwis and the tarantula. Also, I like the coyotes.
Adam E
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
this is a wonderful book about three interesting creatures working together to help other animals. really enjoyed talking about this book with my daughter
Rebecca
Aug 24, 2018 marked it as to-read
This series was written specifically to be read out loud!

"To give the series, which launched with the publication of The Nocturnals in April 2016, a strong readaloud rhythm, Hecht and her coauthors, most recently Sarah Feiber, write using “a loose 3-2-1 iambic pentameter.” Each of the three characters has its own word count. Tobin, a pangolin, utters two words for every three words that Bismark, a sugar glider, says. Dawn, the fox, underscores the conversation with a single word."

Read more:
Beth
Dec 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 3rd-grade, 4th-grade
First, I would love to thank Fabled Films Press for a free copy of the book!!!

How cute is this book?!?!? Oh my goodness! This would be an excellent read aloud in a second through fourth grade classroom, especially if the teacher can do voices. Not only is this a great story with humor and life lessons, it's also a great teaching tool. Kids can learn so much about all of the different animals. Shoot! I learned stuff and even found myself looking up information about the different animals. So
Tiffany Hough
Dec 16, 2017 rated it liked it
The Nocturnals is a strange, serviceable animal fantasy for sports fans. Lovely watercolor illustrations grace the beginnings of each chapter. The book features some lesser-known nocturnal animals, which is fun. This would be a good choice for precocious readers not ready for heavier middle grade content or kids who prefer light reads without complicated plot lines.

The publisher provided me with a free copy in exchange for my honest review.
Cindy Hudson
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Animals are disappearing at night, and it’s up to the nocturnals, creatures who are normally awake at night, to solve the mystery. Banding together are a pangolin, a fox, and a sugar glider. Other animals getting in on the action include a wombat, a group of echo-location challenged bats, a band of coyotes and more.

The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions by Tracey Hecht is the first in a series that aims to introduce readers to Australia’s mammals while leading them on an adventure. The
Kid Lit Reviews
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-reviews, 2016
The Nocturnal Brigade guard the night, ready to “confront the dangers that lurk in the shadows.” Comprised of three nocturnal animals—Tobin, a good-natured pangolin; Bismark, a romantic sugar glider; and Dawn, a wise red fox—the brigade find themselves in the middle of a mystery almost immediately.

Animals are waking up to find relatives missing, without a trace. Despite trusting their instincts, aggressively tracking down clues, and joining forces with the coyotes, the brigade is running out of
Camille
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
For fans of Winnie the Pooh, this is a cute book about Australian, nocturnal animals joining together to solve a mystery of missing animals. The character Bismarck, a sugar glider prone to exclaiming in foreign language is stalwart and true, if a bit of a flirt. The other characters are less developed and the story does get a little repetitive. They keep meeting new creatures that join their brigade. Young animal lovers will enjoy reading about cute exotic animal friends, perhaps younger fans of ...more
Christie
Jul 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hen and I had so much fun reading this book! We've really found some great reads this summer. We're already signed up at the library to get the next one on the list. Animals are missing and their disappearances are being noticed. A brigade of nocturnal animals is formed to solve the mystery. Are they safe? Can they find out what happened? Who is behind it all? And will Bismark the sugar glider find love?

Such a fun story with a brilliant nighttime setting.
Anna
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it
In The Nocturnals, a motley band of nocturnal animals band together to stop a threat to the greater animal community. This book provides a great deal of information about nocturnal animals in the format of a light mystery novel. I enjoyed the ridiculousness of some of the characters. I did not love the pace of the plot. I would recommend this to book to my goofy, animal-loving students. It's great if you have a strong reading level but a love of silly animal interactions.
Isabella Torres
Nov 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Grace, Isabella, Samantha,Jasmine and my cousins
This book was a book that has mystery and parts of comedy. I was reading this book before but never finished it .I am so happy that I finally finished it. I loved the characters. Bismark was super funny, Dawn was my favorite, and Tobin was just so calm with everything. overall, this was a good book to read.
Yapha
Jan 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Fun new animal adventure mystery, with fabulous spot illustrations for each chapter by a former student of mine. It features some interesting and unusual animals including a pangolin, sugar glider, wombat, kiwis, and jerboa as well as some more familiar ones. Recommended for animal lovers, grades 3 & up.

ARC provided by illustrator.
Arden Prins
Jun 30, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a pretty cute story and I think a lot of middle graders will love it. I liked the cast of characters and the plot was surprising! Made me wish I had a kid to read it to and do all the funny voices.
Marcy
Jun 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I love this book. We are already waiting for the next book to be available.
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
Blurb/review will be posted closer to the book's release.
Dana C.
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-reads
I recommend 5th grade and down. The animal vocabulary is unique to australia, but the story is reminiscent of Bedknobs and Broomsticks. Great opportunity to discuss class distinctions.
Theresa McEachern
Jun 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very good, I will keep this book for my collection.
Marti
The Mysterious Abductions by Tracey Hecht is a the first book in a series called The Nocturnals. The book is populated with animals who have been personified by their personal traits into characters in the story. The story takes place in Australia, so the animals are from Australia and all are animals that are active at night. I do have to admit, I needed to google some of the animals so that I knew what they looked like and some of their behaviors. Knowing the information about the animals made ...more
Betty
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this entertaining book. The characters are delightful and kooky.

Dawn (the red fox), Tobin (a pangolin), and Bismark (a sugar glider) work together as a brigade to solve the mystery of the disappearing nocturnal animals. Other nocturnals join in the hunt - Cora the sweet wombat, comical bats who love to tease Bismark, a jerboa, and some coyotes. They find themselves pitted against a group of crocodiles. Oh my! I just had to laugh over the names of the band of five crocodiles
Sonya
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
I would like to thank FabledFilms Press for providing me with a copy of ‘The Nocturnals’. Now on to my honest review:

The Nocturnals was a fun read made even more interesting by the inclusion of lesser known animals. How many stories do you know that feature a Pangolin or Jerboa? Readers will learn about these animals and their characteristics without even realizing it as the story weaves these tidbits effortlessly into character dialogue. (Bismarck, the smooth-talking Sugar Glider, is only too
Sarah Rubin
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Friendships and misunderstandings in this story about a bunch of nocturnal animals trying to figure out what's happening to their peers made this a great family read for us. So much to talk about - or just absorb - about coming together across differences.

A small cohort of nocturnal animals - a sugar glider, a pangolin, and a fox - set out together to find out who is 'napping' other nocturnal animals. They find themselves in conflict over whether to talk to certain other animals - the coyotes,
Elizabeth Meadows
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio-books-2018
This book is adorable! I loved all of the nocturnal animals and even learned about some I'd never heard of. Bailey Carr does an exceptional job with the narrations. Her voice has the perfect quality for the variety of animals.
The fantasy type of story was entertaining, but yet had a dose of reality near the end. The characters were endearing, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book.
I'm not a big fan of the water color medium for the illustrations. But since I listened to it on audio, that didn't
Elizabeth
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a series about animals of the night and their adventures. Fast paced in some areas. You do not need to read them in order necessarily but I would read the first one first. Good for middle grade just out of chapter book readers. Not gender specific. No real romance. Good conflict. There are videos to go with these and other materials to get to know the author and characters. Lots of names and characters. Short sentences for the most part.
Amanda Delap
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I hadn't read a book from this viewpoint of nocturnal animals prior to reading this book. It was well written, interesting and thought provoking. It included animals that I had never heard of before, such as the pangolin. I enjoyed the overall message and the use of several different languages throughout the book. I look forward to reading the other books in this series and sharing the books with my stepdaughter.
Lisa Fabiano
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
A thoughtful pangolin, a chatty sugar glider, and a wise fox band together to protect the animals of the night by forming the Nocturnal Brigade. Their first mission is to find out what is happening to the animals that have been disappearing. They will search high and low, encounter questionable companions and engage in a game of nocs versus crocs until the mystery is solved. A charming story that will have readers anxious to revisit these characters on their next adventure.
Amanda
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I guess the story was cute enough - and it had a good but not overly in your face message, but I had a difficult time getting past the animals I am not very familiar with...nor will most kids who pick up this book. It was confusing to try to picture the story when I didn't actually know what most of the animals look like (though I did pull out my phone a few times to google images).
Kristen Vonnahme sienkiewicz
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this to my kindergarteners for a school assignment - One Book One School for their whole elementary school. I thought it might be a bit advanced for them but they really loved the story and kept up with what was happening. They're excited to hear the next books in the series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Nightbooks
  • Santa Bruce (A Mother Bruce book)
  • Stronger, Faster, and More Beautiful
  • The Great Santa Stakeout
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Santa's Story
  • Waiting for the Magic
  • The Scary Library Shusher (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #5)
  • The Losers Club
  • The Walled City
  • Ho Ho Homework
  • Surf's Up, Creepy Stuff! (Desmond Cole Ghost Patrol, #3)
  • Between Us and Abuela: A Family Story from the Border
  • Even Superheroes Make Mistakes
  • Katt vs. Dogg
  • Bye-Bye, Big Bad Bullybug!
  • The Bearer of Gifts
  • The Gossip File (The Dirt Diary, #3)
Tracey Hecht has written, directed, and produced for film. The American Booksellers Association chose the first book in her critically acclaimed middle grade series, The Nocturnals: The Mysterious Abductions, as a Kids’ Indie Next List pick.

In 2017, she expanded the series to include early reader books, so that families could share the reading experience together. In partnership with the New York

The Nocturnals (4 books)
  • The Ominous Eye (The Nocturnals #2)
  • The Fallen Star (The Nocturnals #3)
  • The Hidden Kingdom (The Nocturnals #4)