Start by marking “Jerkbait” as Want to Read:
Jerkbait

Jerkbait

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  776 Ratings  ·  208 Reviews
Even though they're identical, Tristan isn't close to his twin Robbie at all—until Robbie tries to kill himself.

Forced to share a room to prevent Robbie from hurting himself, the brothers begin to feel the weight of each other's lives on the ice, and off. Tristan starts seeing his twin not as a hockey star whose shadow Tristan can't escape, but a struggling gay teen terri
Published May 3rd 2016 by Jolly Fish Press

To ask other readers questions about Jerkbait, please sign up.

Kayla Rivera Hey Maxman! Actually, Jerkbait will be released as an e-book for Amazon kindle as well! Jolly Fish Press is actually preparing to release it for…moreHey Maxman! Actually, Jerkbait will be released as an e-book for Amazon kindle as well! Jolly Fish Press is actually preparing to release it for kindle by Amazon's request very soon.(less)

Natasha
Jun 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars.

Spoilers.

Ridiculous. This book was completely ridiculous. And I want to say that I believe the author is a good writer and it's likely me who just didn't enjoy this. I would probably still try something else by this author, but this really didn't work for me.

This book should've been called: Every Bad Thing To Possibly Happen to a Gay Teen Happens to Tristan

Admittedly, I liked this at first. First few chapters weren't perfect with the forced "conflict" between brothers. It was really on
Mia Siegert
#1 New Release in Teen & Young Adult LGBT Issues Fiction on Amazon.com

#3 New Release in Teen & Young Adult Gay and Lesbian Fiction on Amazon.com

The #JERKBAIT Playlist is featured on Books and Ladders. Check it out and listen on Spotify.

What Others Have to Say about JERKBAIT (Updated 3/19/16):

"Every athlete, parent and high school kid, gay or straight, will see some of themselves reflected in Jerkbait’s teammates and families. So will every ally who wants to see change. Jerkbait is
Cayce
Apr 26, 2016 rated it did not like it
I'm honestly not the person to write negative reviews, but in this case I feel like it's warranted. After reading a few reviews on goodreads before the release, I was really excited to read this book. I'm always looking for good LGBT novels and this one seemed interesting in regards to it dealing with homophobia in professional sports. I'm not even sure I can express how severely disappointed I am.

This may seem over exaggerated and blunt but I honestly felt like I was reading a first draft of so
Chelsea Sedoti
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You know how there are books that are impossible to read passively? Instead, the whole time you’re reading you’re going a little crazy because you want to leap into the pages and actually interact with the characters.

JERKBAIT was like that.

I wanted to hug Robbie and Tristan because I was so sad for them, and shake their parents for screwing up so horribly, and slap Heather for… well, you should probably read and find out for yourself.

Tristan, the narrator, is smart, funny, and overall a good g
Vitor Martins
Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016, lgbtq, ebook
Terminei de ler Jerkbait e me sinto exausto.

Aqui nós acompanhamos a história de dois irmãos gêmeos: um hétero apaixonado por teatro musical e um gay apaixonado por hockey. Logo de cara eu fiquei empolgado com a escolha da autora de quebrar os esteriótipos e mostrar os conflitos da relação desses dois personagens.

Mas a cada capítulo que eu lia, meu amor pela história ia morrendo e no final eu estava desesperado de tanta raiva. Existem inúmeras coisas que eu odiei nesse livro, então decidi fazer
Naz (Read Diverse Books)
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jerkbait reminded me why I still read and love YA Fiction.
The writing was superb and the characters were all complex and believeable. I loved everything about this story!
Please buy it and read it.
Caleb Roehrig
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
JERKBAIT is one of those novels that tackles a TON of very serious and very dark subjects - teen suicide, bullying, homophobia, abuse, internet predators - but does so without ever becoming a depressing read. On the contrary, this novel, about two brothers struggling to find themselves in the face of intense pressure to match up to others' expectations, is filled with hope and humor. The twins at the heart of the story both evince an incredible amount of courage as they fight to define and embra ...more
Whitney Atkinson
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm very pleased with how much I ended up liking this book! Tristan was a really likeable main character, and I was especially fond of him because i'm a sucker for wallflower protagonists who observe and rarely devote to the action or conversation unless there's a necessity to. In this particular case, a story about a boy watching the unfolding drama of his twin brother coming out as gay in a sports world, it was even more interesting. The dynamic between Robbie and Tristan was so believable and ...more
Laurie Flynn
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So, JERKBAIT was one of my most anticipated 2016 releases. And it’s kind of ironic, because the main characters in the book are hockey players, and I’m a Canadian who knows nothing about hockey. What I was more interested in were the themes in this book, especially how gay athletes are treated in this sport. I wanted to see how the author, Mia Siegert, portrayed this treatment through her characters.

What I got was a book that’s bold, brave, and unflinchingly honest. A book that’s also sensitive
Paul
Oct 25, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Glee has so much to answer for...

*UPDATE* I've re-read this book and am changing my review by a whole star - sorry this reads so badly on a second pass through and bits I either blanked out or skipped over are so bad (the whole end 1/4 of the book) I have bumped it down. Don't bother with this book... for better books see the end of my review *END UPDATE*

This book could have been interesting and well developed yet it sadly suffers from some of the worst gay related tropes I have read for a while
Kayla Rivera
Oct 19, 2015 marked it as to-read
SO freakin' excited for this to come out!
Allison
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, I'm a Rangers fan. And you see the rating. That's how great this very Devils-centric book is.

description

This is essentially a very painful book about two brothers who are both trying to find themselves and come to grips with their identities. To boil it down to the basics, Robbie is gay and anxious about coming out in a sports environment, and Tristan doesn't want to play hockey at all and would rather do theater.

description

They have little in common, but as the book progresses their bond really strengthens a
endofmarch
May 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
this was such a.......weird book.

i feel off about such abusive parenting being not fully addressed.

and the "twin telepathy" thing that started happening toward the end of the book was so completely out of nowhere and jarring that i couldn't help but laugh. like, what, was that.

it was nice enough for robbie to get a happy ending with the boy he liked but that also came out of nowhere.

actually yeah i think that's a running theme throughout this entire book, like, tristan's best friend heather
Wendy MacKnight
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
I couldn't put this book down! The story of two hockey-playing brothers, Tristan and Robbie, this book deals head-on with the issue of gay athletes, the stereotypes associated with sports & artistic endeavours. This book is a rollercoaster ride, and our hearts break for the two brothers, who initially not close at all, are thrust together after a suicide attempt. But should one brother be his brother's keeper? And if the students in their school are bigoted, they pale in comparison with the ...more
Carly
*4.75 STARS*

Identical twins were supposed to share so much, but we might as well have not been related.

As far as first chapters go, I can't recall a book hooking me in after a mere couple of pages like Jerkbait did. This was because of how excellently Sergent illustrates the dynamics of Tristan's family life. It really aided the story, even if it was just a brief introductory look at his family. However it really enables the reader to get an idea of the characters and it gives the reader cont
Jamie (Books and Ladders)
Actual Rating: 4.5*

One of the best things about Jerkbait was that while it was dark and raw, it was also hopeful and witty -- oh, and super gay! I really enjoyed the look at how young sports athletes feel pressure to be The Best™ and To Succeed™. I also really liked that Tristan was trying to figure out his own shit while also helping Robbie deal with his. I loved how family dynamics were shown in this one.

I loved the writing style. It was so easy to be in Tristan's head and understand his thoug
Asia Lee
Jul 01, 2016 rated it did not like it
I hate giving one star on a book! I try and at least bump it up to two stars if it has some redeeming qualities to it...but this one really dumbfounded me.

The characters weren't very believable and the plot was all over the place so that by the end it felt like it was three books mashed together. The characters weren't very believable, especially the parents, and even though so many bad things happened to the characters, because they were so two-dimensional, I didn't feel anything for them. I r
alis
This book gave me so much feels. Motsly angry. Angry at their parents. Heather that bitch omg screw u angry at the people around them. The bullies. Etc etc. And i was sad too. Its like i want to hug Roddie and tell him everythink will gonna be okay everytime that thing happened and tell Tristan that hes the best people i know. I really like when hes angry after his mom asked Robbie to say that him being gay is just a lie.
And hurayy, Heather deserve that lmaao. Im still didnt believe she did tha
Rachel Mans Mckenny
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I finished this book in two big sittings because I just didn't want to put it down. Lots of themes deeply explored here: coming out, bullying, stereotypes, and authenticity. When I read the description, I was like, hm, hockey? I know nothing about hockey, but this book highlights so many important YA topics and does so in a way that anyone can appreciate (I loved all the musical theater stuff.... a lot.)
A few odd things-- the ending twist threw me for a loop-- but over all, a great book about b
Bee {Quite the Novel Idea}
Quite The Novel Idea ~ Words from the Clouds

Right now I'm looking very hard for reasons why I shouldn't just give this book 5 stars and be done with it. Is it flawless? No. Are those flaws good reasons to lower my rating? Also no. Because I just loved this book so very much. So 5 stars it is.

After a slur of disappointing and pretty-good-but-not-great books, I really needed a book that just blew all of them out of the water. I needed something great. I should've known that a LGBT book would do th
Ari
**mild spoilers**

Tristan and Robbie are identical twin but their twiness (is that even a word? ^^) stop there. Telepathic thinking? Nope! Same interest? Nope! Tristan always been Robbie's shadow; the high school hockey star. Tristan play hockey as Robbie's winger but he always have his own dream: star of Broadway. And when Robbie tried to kill himself, their parent put them together in one room. The message was clear: Tristan have to look after Robbie. But how can Tristan help Robbie if they're
Cale Dietrich
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, advance-copy
JERKBAIT is a book I’ve been looking forward to reading for quite a while – and I’m happy to report that it totally lived up to my (high) expectations! It’s a serious book that tackles a lot of very serious issues, but it is also very easy to read, which was obviously achieved by some kind of sorcery (I’m on to you, Mia).

The protagonist is Tristan, and he’s VERY likeable. He’s witty, a bit nerdy, and he has big dreams, so he’s my favourite kind of contemporary protagonist. Even though Tristan is
Jillian
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book was ok, I had some small, easy to overlook, issues with the book (I don't care who is saying it "rainbows, unicorns, and lisps, oh my" was not an appropriate way to describe another human being...), but it was a relatively enjoyable story.

Till the end that is. (view spoiler)
Javi
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Very powerful book that deals with issues such as rampant homophobia and suicide, well written especially considering this is the author's debut novel and with well defined characters. Sadly the story starts to drag around the middle and then becomes mostly implausible. Had the author chosen to stay on the path she was on at the beginning, this would have been a sure winner. As it is, 3 stars is all I'm willing to give it.
Kristy Acevedo
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received an eARC from my fellow JFP author.

JERKBAIT was a pleasure to read. Tristan's character struggles with protecting his troubled sibling, dealing with his overbearing parents, and choosing his own path. The story is an honest portrayal of the homophobia in sports and the consequences of being ostracized and bullied.
Sanjiyan Unkara
HAHA I READ IT FIRST SO FU BITCHES!

(no seriously, I did. And this was posted with the full blessing of the author)

Camus Grimwood
Jan 22, 2016 marked it as to-read
THIS IS EVERYTHING I'VE BEEN ASKING FOR. LGBT HOCKEY STUFF, THANK YOU SO MUCH. I CAN'T WAIT!
Danielle (Love at First Page)
This just shows that we need more stories about brothers in YA! Full review to come. :)
Sarah Reida
Mar 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This Friday, I received an Advanced Release Copy (ARC) of Mia Siegert’s JERKBAIT, which will be released by Jolly Fish Press on May 3, 2016. I finished it on Saturday morning. This is because JERKBAIT, while extremely dark and violent in many respects, is an incredibly fast read with a compelling story that is hard to put down. It touches on many important subjects, like bullying, LGBT rights and issues, coming-of-age experiences, and family relationships. As I read it, I thought of the wonderfu ...more
Crazy for Young A...: Jerkbait, by Mia Siegert → Start Date: July 28, 2017 10 10 Jul 31, 2017 09:25PM
Preorder Incentive! 3 8 Feb 25, 2016 05:17AM
Which JERKBAIT Character Are You? (A Fun Quiz) 1 9 Jan 30, 2016 07:25AM
Part of Chapter One (as posted on YA Highway) 1 10 Dec 29, 2015 08:11AM
  • True Letters from a Fictional Life
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • Whatever.: or how junior year became totally f$@ked
  • Pukawiss The Outcast (The Two-spirit Chronicles, #1)
  • Our Own Private Universe
  • Last Seen Leaving
  • Bottled Up Secret
  • Because of Her
  • Draw the Line
  • Honestly Ben (Openly Straight, #2)
  • Willful Machines
  • Timekeeper (Timekeeper, #1)
  • A Darkly Beating Heart
  • Dirty London
  • Anything Could Happen
  • My Seventh-Grade Life in Tights
  • South of Sunshine
  • Ramona Blue
Mia Siegert received her MFA from Goddard College and her BA from Montclair State University where she won Honorable Mention in the 2009 English Department Awards for fiction. Her debut JERKBAIT made Goodreads Best YA of May 2016. Siegert has been published in Clapboard House, Word Riot, The Limn Literary & Arts Journal, as well as a few other small presses.

Siegert currently works as an adjun
More about Mia Siegert...