Start by marking “Nightkeepers (The Nightkeepers, #1)” as Want to Read:
Nightkeepers (The Nightkeepers, #1)

Nightkeepers

(The Nightkeepers #1)

The end of time looms, and Mayan demons have surfaced from the underworld to trigger an apocalypse. But as the final day approaches, the descendants of ancient warrior-priests prepare to fight back....

As a Miami narcotics detective, Leah Daniels never knows how her day will turn out. But she certainly doesn't expect to be strapped to a stone altar as the human sacrifice in

Mass Market Paperback, 464 pages
Published June 3rd 2008 by Signet (first published June 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Nightkeepers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightkeepers

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Although Dr. Jessica Andersen has my admiration for undertaking such an ambitious series, I have to say I was disappointed with this book. It took me the better part of the month of February to read, and that's rather unusual for me. There were issues that I had with this book that made it hard to keep reading, quite frankly.

For one thing, I never really came to like the hero, Striking-Jaguar, or the heroine, Leah. I did come to respect them, eventually. But I was not in love with them, or their
DarienMoya
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010-reads
^^I NEED AN INFORMATIONKEEPER FOR THIS ONE!^^

3.5
Nightkeepers, the first in the Final prophecy series, and man if it isn’t a doobie ( yeh I said doobie). It is a book with a lot of information and characters, and I had a hard time keeping up with everything going on. The first book in any series are always a wealth of information, you know the author has to work the room, get nice and acquainted with the reader. Well this one had a lot going, I am talking magic, evil, world destruction, spoiled
Mojca
Jun 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of complex characters and gripping storylines
When I first read the blurb for this one – a mixture of romance, action, thriller, Mayan history and mythology and a nice end of the world prophecy as the cherry on a cake – I thought that this would be right up my alley…And I wasn’t wrong. And I wasn’t disappointed.
The reader is thrust head-first into the fray right from the beginning and the chills, thrills and suspense don’t falter until the very end.

I don’t particularly like books with too many characters and too many smaller storylines, but
Inara
Well, I absolutely loved this book! Maybe one of the reasons for being so enthusiastic about this novel is my own interest in mayan mythology, culture, calendar and prophecies. Jessica Andersen did a wonderful job of combining all these elemens in an exciting storyline which hooked me from the first page...
Twenty years ago King Scarred-Jaguar made a fatal mistake in his fight against the evil Order of Xibalba and their demons which ended in killing almost all of his Nightkeepers, who protect the
Lili
Jun 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: narrow minded, ignorant people
Too many pages, way too much explanation, too many characters, too much gore… just TOO MUCH!
I loathe Strike and Leah, I’m pretty sure they’re bi-polar, their love story was silly and most of the time didn’t make sense at all. I usually try to give a new series at least a three book chance but I don’t think this one will be worth the time.
On a side note, I’m a Mexican citizen and I found totally and completely disrespectful, offensive and plain stupid that this author took her time to do all the
Melanie
Ok... This was a pretty good book.. I'm only giving it three stars because of the convoluted plot: I was expecting more romance, but this read more as a simple paranormal to me, with a dash of romance thrown in.
We're plunged into this complicated world of mythology (which I loved), bloodlines, divine enemies, blood sacrifices, revenge,... you name it! I felt like there were way too many things going on at once, and I kind of think a short prequel might have been nice (where all the Nightkeepers
Catherine
Aug 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Heck, yes. Mayan calendar, end of days, human sacrifices, hot sex, pretty good writing, non-stop action...what's missing? Not much. Well, except I looked up the astrological chart for 12/21/12 and it didn't look like much, which sort of burst my bubble. But I like imagining this shit is real, and we're going down at the end of days unless the efforts of Strike, Jox, Red-Boar et al are fruitful.
J.R. Ward
Jan 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Doc Jess!!!!
Natasha
Feb 01, 2011 rated it liked it
First off I want to say, "Nightkeepers" received a 3 1/2 from me. I just wish Goodreads allowed 1/2 stars!
Jessica Andersen is a new author for me. I've only heard of this series a few times before reading "Nightkeepers", but what I did hear sounded good, so I was stoked to read this for this months BBA.
I don't have anything particularly bad to say about this book, it was written well, and had great characters and an interesting plot. I just found sometimes it was a bit over whelming, and there
Lauren
Nightkeepers
3.5 Stars

Synopsis:
The apocalypse is coming on December 21, 2012 and the Nightkeepers, a race of warriors with special powers originating in the barrier between this world and the next, are the only ones who can prevent it. Detective Leah Daniels is investigating a cult dedicated to human sacrifice and cashing in on the end of the world. She is on the verge of becoming their latest victim when Strike Jaguar, the Nightkeeper prince, rescues her and the two discover that their destinies
Gina
I finished this one at about 2am this morning. When I hit the last stretch in the book, I didn't want to put it down, LOL!

First: the characters. While I sometimes don't like a book with loads of characters vying for attention, I have to admit this one wasn't like that; not at all. The main characters were the focus, the secondary characters were in the picture but not overbearingly. I found each intriguing and complex with their own set up troubles/faults/anxieties.

I thought the plot was rathe
Barb in Maryland
May 25, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: sf-f
Very entertaining entry in the paranormal romance genre by a new author. Not a vampire or a were-anything in sight. Rather we have the Mayan gods and the magic wielding Nightkeepers, who are sworn to protect humanity from the coming "end of the world as we know it". The main focus of this first book is on Strike, leader of the Nightkeepers, and Leah, human Miami cop. But we are introduced to the whole band of Nightkeepers and a set of very nasty bad guys--setting up more books to come. The premi ...more
Jessa Slade
Dec 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
In 3 words:
Fascinating, sexy, apocalyptic!
Sophia
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnr-uf
It's so lovely when you're the winner of a mystery box of books and get the opportunity to try out books that wouldn't normally come to your notice. In this batch of older releases, there was this exciting looking paranormal romance series that has a refreshing take. Put mythology in a paranormal romance and I'm there even more so when the mythology is Mayan which I know little about.

Nightkeepers introduces the world of the Final Prophesy series. It is a unique series so the author starts with a
Filipa
Dec 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I've been avoiding this book since January. *shame on me*
I only now realised my stupidity because this book was an awesome beginning to the Nightkeepers series. I was afraid because I've read a certain amount reviews that said that this was a pretty heavy series with a great amount of information that wasn't easy to absorb.
What a big, fat lie. Really. This book was awesome and since I have an active interest in Mayan culture it was great to read this book. Sincerely it was refreshing to find a
Melindeeloo
Feb 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
(3.5 stars) Though suffering a bit from a ponderous amount of world-building, Nightkeepers kicks off a very original new paranormal romance series building its mythos on the 2012 Mayan doomsday prophecy. Despite its tendency to be exposition heavy at times, NightKeepers had a lot going for it.

Both of the leading characters, Strike and Leah, were very well done. Strike is great as the leader of the few remaining Nightkeepers who are sworn to save the world by battling the evil forces try to brin
Kathleen Burket
Dec 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was surprised at how well I liked this novel. Despite its length, 443 pages in MMP, I never became bored or had the urge to put it aside. Andersen made the Mayan mythos believable.

The Nightkeepers are descendants of Atlanteans who guided the ancient Egyptians and later the Mayans. A generation before the current time, the Nightkeeper king lead their people in an effort to close the barrier between dimensions to prevent demons from crossing over and dominating the Earth during the Great Conjun
Aelin
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pleasantly surprised with the quality of the storytelling in NIGHTKEEPERS. Outside of the historical fiction genre, I have frequently found many books dealing with Mayan/Aztec/Olmec/etc mythos and culture to be misrepresenting at best. Andersen has clearly done a lot of research and gotten things right, which makes this Mesoamerican history geek very happy.

The story is strongly remniscient of J.R. Ward's work, in that the heroes are all uber-muscular warrior men with destined romances and that t
Steph
I really enjoyed this book. With all the movies about 2012 coming out, I was interested to see how it would be incorporated into a sup book. I liked the characters, enjoyed learning about their back stories and seeing how they all came together to try to fight back to the upcoming evil. I'm also extremely happy that the next 2 books (Dawnkeepers & Skykeepers) are already available. Such a nice treat when I find something I like and don't have to wait a year to read the next book.
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
Night Keepers was an average story with detailed world building heavily steeped in mythology. Descendents of powerful magi, who are called Night Keepers, must keep a psi barrier from falling and demons from entering, which would end the world. According to the Mayan calendar this date is December 21, 2012.

The background and purpose of the Night Keepers is more interesting than the characters. The premise of this series is exciting yet it failed to deliver. At times, I felt as if I was reading h
Nikki ♥
It was more like a 2.5. There were a few things that I didn't like about this book. There were too many characters introduced with a lot of new terminology to get used to. This wouldn't normally bother me but the plot had way to much going on and it was hard to stay focused.

I didn't like that Strike and Leah had sex almost immediately, it seemed out of place and the story didn't focus on them as a couple. Strike wearing cutoffs and rope sandals did not appeal to me, I kept picturing a hippie.

I
Dawn
May 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-books, pnr
I wanted to like this one but in the end it was just to slow and way to much detail. Plus the characters just did not draw me in Strike was a whiny punk and Leah was meh. I feel a little guilty about that because it was clear that Ms. Anderson put a lot of thought into the story it was to much back story and not enough character development. There were also to many points of views, I think it would have been better for the story to have switched between the two main characters.

Kaitlin G
Oct 16, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was hard for me. I stopped every fifty pages because it was very dry, but after quite a few pages like 150ish it picked up. The last two hundred I couldn't put it down. Unfortunately, it took to long to get into it. I would recommend it for someone who likes to read books with world ending challenges. I ended up liking the end that I bought the dawnkeepers which I believe is the second book. Happy reading.
Brandy *Ahviel*
I picked this book up by chance. Now that I read it I have to say that I would compare the story telling to that of JR Ward. The 2012 end of the worl theroy is something that is always being talked about Jessica Andersen's take on the theroy is one of suspense as well as romance, but really what story can not have romance and scarifice.
I look forward to reading the second book
Lori Whitwam
Mar 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: paranormal
Listed as a "paranormal romance," the romance aspect was less than engaging. This was a heavy book, with lots of historic detail about the Mayans, and very dark, detailed information about the magical groups trying to prevent or bring about the end of the world. It was well-written and interesting, but I didn't get into the characters as much as I would have liked.
Patricia
This book was.. full.

The sentences felt full, the plot was full, the story was full of characters and while that wasn't a bad thing, it wasn't what I had expected.

Review and rating to come. God, I'm so tired right now..
Teshai
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
it dragged on..I took me forever to finish
Deidre Knight
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
The woman ROCKS. Great series, great author.
Melissa ownsbey
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
it was very good book
i have read this book but i did not win it from good reads
Nikki
Nov 29, 2018 added it
Shelves: dnf
I’m going to have to leave this book as a DNF. I desperately wanted to love it, having fallen in love with a short story set in this world, but I can’t.

There are three separate uses of a deus ex machina within the first 90 pages, ALL of the characters are introduced at once (which is pages and pages of exposition that I’m growing tired of), the main plot line advertised hasn’t even been touched yet (and I’m a third of the way through the book), and all the side plots seem to on par with soap op
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
series for kindle uk 1 9 Nov 17, 2012 01:35AM

• Assassin's Honor (Order of the Sicari, #1)
  • Warrior Ascended (Sons of the Zodiac, #1)
  • Bound by Shadow (The Dark Crescent Sisterhood, #1)
  • Drawn Into Darkness (Soul Gatherer, #1)
  • Red Fire (Gods of Midnight, #1)
  • A Deadly Whisper (The Watchers, #1)
  • Edge Of Hunger (Primal Instinct, #1)
  • Burning Alive (Sentinel Wars, #1)
  • Atlantis Unmasked (Warriors of Poseidon, #4)
  • On the Hunt (Sentinel Wars #3.4, Nightkeepers #5.5, Gods of Midnight, #4.5)
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1)
  • Dark Protector (Paladins of Darkness, #1)
  • My Wicked Enemy (My Immortals #1)
  • Sins of the Heart (The Sins Series, #1)
  • Sea Witch (Children of the Sea, #1)
  • Ravenous (The Dark Forgotten, #1)
  • Eternal Pleasure (Gods of the Night #1)
Jessica S. Andersen is an American writer of mystery and medical romances. She obtained a PhD in Genetics, but when she finally settles on a single career, she will have been many things: a doctor of molecular genetics, a patent agent, a freelance editor, a professional horse trainer and riding coach, a fiance and the proud owner of a pair of corgis. But if you ask her who she is, Jessica will say ...more

The Nightkeepers (8 books)
  • Dawnkeepers (The Nightkeepers, #2)
  • Skykeepers (Nightkeepers, #3)
  • Demonkeepers (The Final Prophecy, #4)
  • Blood Spells (The Nightkeepers, #5)
  • Storm Kissed (Nightkeepers, #6)
  • Magic Unchained (The Nightkeepers, #7)
  • Spellfire (Nightkeepers,#8)