Start by marking “Family Ties (Detective Mark Pemberton Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Family Ties (Detective Mark Pemberton Mystery #1)

Family Ties

(Detective Superintendent Mark Pemberton #3)

Hardworking Detective Superintendent Mark Pemberton has been instructed to take it easy, and is therefore assigned a supposedly laid-back assignment - to guard the American Vice-President Caleb Hartley on a visit to the U.K.

However, the task turns out to be anything but straightforward.

The Vice President believes he has British ancestors and wants to track down his famil
Published October 14th 2015 by Endeavour Press (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Family Ties, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Family Ties

Manchester Military History Society (MMHS)
Entertaining police procedural/genealogy mystery set in rural Yorkshire

Although it is this book’s first outing as an ebook, this was originally published in 1994. This date becomes significant as the lack of internet genealogy sites, etc allows the author to extend this book beyond a quick online search which would have resolved the main mystery relatively quickly if set in the present day.

Rhea is the author of the “Heartbeat” police series set in Yorkshire and he evocatively describes the local
Betsy
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
What a disappointing book. Pemberton is cock-sure of himself and a workaholic, who just has to look into an 80-year old mystery so he won't be bored while doing his real job. Only he doesn't do his job, which is to find the murderer Of Muriel Brown, but then that case is only eight years old and not connected to a political VIP so he is not in a hurry to solve it.

I really thought I would enjoy this book because of its ties to the Great War, but Pemberton's misguided need to find the answer to an
David Stimpson
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yep .. Enjoyed this .. Will Have to Look into the Series ..
Kathy
May 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Very enjoyable police procedural mystery. Three-and-a-half stars. Would enjoy reading more in the series.
Wendy Cartmell
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I read this novel I didn't know that the author was the writer behind the tv series Heartbeat. But now I do I can see the similarities, particularly in terms of pace. This is not a race against time crime thriller, but more of a cozy mystery.
Pembleton is not content with his role in the team protecting the US Vice President and needs more to keep him interested and motivated. As a result he starts to dig into the family ties between the Vice President and the folk of Yorkshire. That, of co
Jen
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Family Ties by Nicholas Rhea, originally published in 1994, had a new release in October.

Hmmm. I found Detective Mark Pembleton a little annoying. A nice guy, dedicated, etc., but at times he got on my nerves.

An American Vice President is to visit England in search of his ancestors, and Pembleton is in charge of the British security detail. Doing a little advanced research, Pembleton discovers that one of the VP's ancestors was murdered in 1916.

That part of the mystery was intriguing, and I en
Leyla Johnson
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it was a lot of story - lots of twist and turns, lots of intrigue which kept me wanting to keep reading till I finished - that was impossible as there was a lot of information and a lot to work through. This is not a read which you can enjoy without engaging your thinking process. A little was a little slow, but only because I was anxious to get to the next fact - it is that sort of book. Happy now I finished - good story. This book was provided to be in return for a ...more
Carole Barkway
Jun 29, 2017
ralph madore
Nov 07, 2016
A pseudonym used by Peter N. Walker

Detective Superintendent Mark Pemberton (9 books)
  • False Alibi
  • Grave Secrets
  • Suspect (Detective Mark Pemberton Thriller #2)
  • Confession (Detective Superintendent Mark Pemberton #5)
  • Death of a Princess