Start by marking “Manic Depressive Dream Girl” as Want to Read:
Manic Depressive Dream Girl

Manic Depressive Dream Girl

BOY MEETS GIRL. BOY LOVES GIRL. GIRL LOSES HER MIND. MANIC DEPRESSIVE DREAM GIRL IS A STORY OF LOVE AS A DRUG YOU CAN'T QUIT, OF THE MANIC PIXIE DREAM GIRL AS MORE THAN SHE APPEARS, AND OF HOPE AND HOLDING ON.
Published October 31st 2015 by Maudlin House

Pearl Angeli
Manic Depressive Dream Girl left me utterly speechless (in a good way) after reading it. It's a short, quick read about a boy who fell in love with a girl who has a Biploar Disorder.

The concept of this novella is so good and very realistic. I can't say I can relate but I totally empathize with the characters. This a very brilliant and genuine take on discussing a very important topic (mental health and illness) in a form of a love story.

The story is mainly told from the boy's POV. Actually, how he described
Viktoria Winter
This book was insane (pun intended)! Short and sweet, I finished this one in an hour while I waited for my next class to begin. It's a thrill ride from start to finish, and it certainly left me questioning my own sanity. Also, I have to give props to that beautiful cover art! This book was a small, much needed dose of wacky paranoia and the makings of an antagonist.

Thanks Maudlin House for sending me a copy! I enjoyed this one very much :)
Leesa
Nov 10, 2015 added it
Shelves: blurbed
LOVED IT/BLURBED IT: "Naadeyah Haseeb is an impressively observant, funny, sweet, smart writer. Manic Depressive Dream Girl tackles addiction and sadness, the science behind it all, but more importantly it tackles the heart—the heart in color, the heart in black and white, the heart acting as engine, the heart spurring us to love, the heart lassoing another as we pull ourselves to a safer place."
LALa
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: actual-favorites
When I finished reading this, I smiled.

Manic Depressive Dream Girl came to me through way of social media and I'm thankful it did. It's a story that says "hey, I'm about this" and just delivers it. That aspect paired with Haseeb's style of writing and method of telling it, was what I loved most. I wasn't sure how I was going to feel about it at the start, but that changed almost immediately upon meeting our "MDDG."

For being a short read, there was plenty of layers in content and enough
Simon P
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a touching semi-autobiographical novella with two fantastic sections that lift it out of the ordinary.

As a former psychiatric therapist and current writer, this short book was likely to appeal to me, and did not disappoint. The start did not grab me as much as I thought it would, and I was not especially a fan of the parts written from the perspective of the male character - it's when you get to the first person POV of the manic depressive dream girl herself that it comes alive. In fact
Vivian
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very interesting look into the mind of a bi-polar young woman. I could almost feel the despondency and the manic exhilaration. The way the point of view switched back and forth added to the story by allowing the reader to see the young woman from outside as well as from inside.
Raney
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful little novella, with engaging and captivating writing. The author has a stellar voice, and the novella contains a striking and truthful portrait of mental illness, that is so often lacking in works of fiction. The wonderful structure and composition of the short novel only add to the atmosphere it creates. The story makes you want to clutch it to your chest (but then it's hard to read...). A fantastic pleasure. I can't wait for her next works!
Melissa Perry
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: small-press
A heart-wrenching novella about love and mental illness. Haseeb's writing is confident and elegant, capturing the highs and lows of mental instability with an incisive honesty that echoes Sarah Gerard's Binary Star.
Kendra
Wonderful, rich and strange, this slim volume plunges the reader into a tumult of love, race, grief, and troubled mental health. Haseeb's language is penetrating, smart, somehow simultaneously so rich and spare that some paragraphs make it hard to draw breath. A quick but entrancing read.
Bulent
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Hey all! If you are looking to buy this book, it is available for sale at http://www.maudlinhousepress.com/books/manic-depressive-dream-girl
Kelly
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a fast and easy read but so good!
Josefin
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
A lovely and quick read that captures the essence of loving someone who is mentally ill.
Emily