Start by marking “Over The Garden Wall: Tome of the Unknown” as Want to Read:
Over The Garden Wall: Tome of the Unknown

Over The Garden Wall: Tome of the Unknown

(Over the Garden Wall (mini-series) 0-4)

Based on a Emmy Award-winning Cartoon Network miniseries, Wirt and Greg are brothers, lost in a strange and endless wood called the Unknown. To find their way home, they must make it through this eerie place, where their only guides are a sardonic bluebird named Beatrice, and an elderly Woodsman. But as things become stranger and stranger, can they find their way out...ali ...more
Published September 20th 2016 by KaBOOM! (first published August 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Over The Garden Wall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Over The Garden Wall

karen
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing

And so off we sailed with the soldiers; my brother, my keeper, and I...into the fields of the Unknown upon an unscientific-looking sailing hat that made no sense at all.

i am so grateful to erica for turning me on to this show. ♥

and so grateful to connor for tracking this book down for me - how this went out of print so quickly and how every existing copy managed to fall into the hands of the greediest, grubbiest used book vendors in the world is beyond me. not one reasonable price in the lot of
AMEERA
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful i really enjoyed 💜💜✨'
Jim
Jan 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
5 stars If you have watched the animated series
3 stars if you haven’t and also go check it right now
Four great short stories. The events of them are taking place between some of the episodes of the show, except the last one, which is still great but it’s not another adventure of the two brothers. What can it be? We need to know!! Well of course you do that’s why you must watch the show and then read this
Besides the better understanding of what’s going on, if you watched the mini-series you also
Artemy
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: boom, comics, 5-stars
Have you seen Over the Garden Wall? If you haven't, I highly recommend it — it will take you less than two hours to watch the whole thing, and it's fantastic. Spooky, weird, goth-y, and yet very kind and heart-warming. And after you watch it, if you want more (and you probably will), you'll want to pick up this comic. It's basically like five lost episodes of the cartoon. The comic is written by the same person, so everything is spot on — the characters, the tone, the humor and the atmosphere. G ...more
Jenan
I ADORED this. Over the Garden Wall is one of my favorite works of animation EVER, and this comic did not disappoint. It carried the same feel of the series, so it felt like getting bonus episodes.

And seriously, if you haven't seen the series yet, please do so, it's amazing!
Qeti
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was here, strangely enough, in the fog of THE UNKNOWN, that I began to see things more clearly <3
Selena
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Over the Garden Wall fans
First things first. If you haven't seen ALL of the TV series "Over the Garden Wall", go watch them before picking up this collection. There are spoilers in these here comics. That, and jokes and references you might not get unless you know what's going on in the Unknown.

Anyway, for those who have seen the series, this is a nice little addition to the Over the Garden Wall story. Each one focuses on the adventures of Wirt, Greg, Beatrice, and Greg's pet frog that happen in between the episodes fro
Dolly
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of the TV show Adventute Time
Maybe I just don't get the humor in this tale because I've never watched the show, but it's very weird and not all that entertaining.

I have started to read this book several times, thinking it would be a fun fast read, but the challenging font, odd dialogue, and hard-to-follow plot led me to stop after only a few pages every time.

It wasn't until I had a long wait at the ER with my mom that I finally got around to finishing it.
Matthew Monnin
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really 3.5 stars. Without the whimsical music that made the show so magical, this addition struggled to capture the real joy of the original miniseries. (I also dislike reviews that compare books with their show equivalent, but in this case the show came first so I'm allowed...) It was certainly charming, and if you are a fan of the show this does a good job as filler for what the characters were doing between episodes. Good romp, fun times, more teapots.
Chloe
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVELY. A cute addendum to a really fabulous show, which I love to pieces. I also much appreciate that these are further adventures (some of which fit in-between episodes) as opposed to any kind of sequel, because Over the Garden Wall is perfect as it is and needs no sequels. Also I enjoyed that I could hear the voice actors in my head as I read the dialogue. Highly recommended for fans of the show.
Heather Culley
May 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Weird but really good.
♠️ Tabi ♠️
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was ADORABLE and CREEPY and I need more, so I'm going to watch this mini-series I knew absolutely nothing about until now.
Rebecca
Apr 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
Beautiful and simple, a collection of little gap-fill adventures and stories during the journey of Wirt, Greg, and Beatrice in the Over the Garden Wall universe
Kateri
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Successfully carries the same charm of the animated series. A great read for fans of the show who want more
Ryan
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it
The art is of course fantastic. The show is great. This was just kind of ok for me though. I do like how the music is in the back.
Stephanie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Lies sometimes make friendships and adventures more interesting. This graphic novel mixes jocularity with morality tales, sometimes feeling a little Grimm; the next moment, a little Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. The art is simple, yet comfortable. At first, I thought the boxes were over-run with text, but then I remembered some of Richard Sala's panels, and checked my opinion. This extremely cute graphic novel is definitely for fans of whimsy, cartoons, and bumbling sidekicks.
Scott Robins
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya, gn-kids
Beautiful artwork in this book but I really had a hard time following what was going on. I felt it was bogged down with so much chattery inane dialogue and exposition and this might the be tone of television cartoon but this is squarely in the 'not for me' camp. As well, my confusion makes sense after discovering that this isn't really a complete story - it fills in the gaps of the cartoon series so pretty much if you haven't seen the show, you're going to be equally confused.
Angela
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the Over the Garden Wall miniseries from Cartoon Network the first time I saw it, so I was excited to get my hands on this collection of bonus stories from the show's creators. Each captures the tone of the series perfectly, showing the characters journeying through a world that is both whimsical and sinister. The characters' voices were brilliantly represented; I could easily hear the voice actors in my head as I was reading. I thought it was a nice touch how most of the sto ...more
Darren
Aug 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The 10 part cartoon miniseries Over The Garden Wall is a work of genius, as far as I'm concerned, a nigh on perfect piece of art in terms of all the things that count - music, characterisation, artwork, atmosphere... I LOVE IT.

I went book shopping last week at Waterstones in Regent St. with a friend. It's a swell thing to do - get to the top floor bar in time for happy hour, have a coupla strong cocktails fast, and then spend hours browsing and choosing books.

I made it a rule that I couldn't b
Cale
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
These additional stories fill in the gaps between the episodes of Over the Garden Wall. They don't provide anything particularly informative (although some of the Woodsman's Daughter story felt pretty relevant), but they do manage to match the tone of the series. The inclusion of sheet music for the songs is an interesting touch, and I'm kind of tempted to try them out. The art is very much in tune with the series, feeling like it could almost be storyboards. The hat ship and the villainous hors ...more
Gaivalee
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-irl-shelf, 2017
Fans of the mini series will love this! I became obsessed with Over The Garden Wall recently and desperately wanted more (10 episodes isn't enough!!!). When I found out about this graphic novel, I ordered it immediately and devoured it. This graphic novel includes five additional short stories that take place during Greg and Wirt's adventure in the Unknown, in between the events in the show, and a few extra bonus materials (mine came with sheet music for the songs in the show and a collection of ...more
Caleb Walsh
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This volume of 5 comics fills in the gaps of the animated miniseries, Over the Garden Wall, and it's written by the series creator. They're great. They fit right in with the episodes, and the way they connect really interesting.
1. "Four Wayward Soldiers": this one's fun and creative (like all the rest), but the best thing about Issue #1 is the way it goes inside Wirt's head.
2. "Don't Tell Papa" is the funniest one of the bunch.
3. "The Tale of Fred the Horse" tells the backstory of Fred, and it's
Marina
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
Over the Garden Wall es junto a Gravity falls una de mis series favoritas. No solo tiene una animación redonda, si no que tiene una música preciosa y una narrativa brutal. No soy muy fan de consumir tebeos producto de series, así que este tebeo no me hacía el qué cuando vi que Boom! lo editaba. Luego cuando lo editó Norma pensé: "Es una de tus series favoritas que puede salir mal" así que me compré el tomo. Y bien que hice. Este primer tomo es una maravilla. Se nota que los autores son los mismo ...more
Jeanette
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love "Over the Garden Wall" and cannot wait to read the other graphic novels in the series. The graphic novels keep the same light-hearted comedy of the TV show. I really enjoyed reading the stories and highly recommend it to anyone.

The graphic novel is also beautifully illustrated with some great bonuses at the end: scores for a few of the songs from the TV show and images of the covers of past graphic novels.
Katherine
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
An excellent addition to the tv series, it perfectly complements the show by telling stories that fill in gaps and add more to this fantastical world. Read on its own this would not make much sense, but together the two create a complete story. I especially loved the story of The Woodsman's Daughter, very well done!
Ed Ashford
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I ended up getting surprised when I went and rewatched the show and these stories weren't episodes. The drawings and dialogue were that in character and that perfect that my brain just translated them to episodes in my head. And if it's on the same level as the show, well, the show is perfection, so...
Amanda
Mar 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love the Over the Garden Wall tv show and this collection of comics suits it so well (and often explains what happened between episodes). The artwork is beautiful and the voice of the show really shines through. I don't think people unfamiliar with the show would enjoy it, but fans of the show will love it!
Scott Waldie
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If, like myself, you are a huge fan of the TV mini-series, then this first comic volume of Over the Garden Wall is a must, as it perfectly captures the unique tone, humor, and strangeness, with a series of stories that work seamlessly with the episodes. Even more, it captures that gorgeous, autumn fantasy setting through which Greg and Wirt wander.
Annise
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
What a wonderful little graphic series! I thought this graphic novel would follow the TV series, but it doesn't! [ I mean this in the best way :) ] This story expands upon the lore of the series and showcases new little adventure the boys went on while searching for Adelaide.
Callie
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
(I finished this forever ago oops)

this book was just like the show, witty, dark, hilarious, and freaking adorable! I loved all the new adventures and it made me want to watch the show again sooo badly 💙 would definitely add this one to my collection!
  • Over The Garden Wall Vol. 1
  • Meridian, Vol. 1: Flying Solo
  • Ojingogo
  • Spera, Volume 2
  • Metal Gear Solid Omnibus (Metal Gear Solid, #1-4)
  • Channel Zero
  • Tegami Bachi, Vol. 6: Letter Bee
  • Sfeer Theory: Uitspan Era Catalogue 1 (Sfeer Theory, #1)
  • The Mire
  • Elisabeth (End, #1)
  • The Crow: Special Edition
  • Bravest Warriors Vol. 2
  • Heathen Volume 1 (Heathen, Volume #1)
  • The Unsinkable Walker Bean
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • Beast
  • Jim Henson's The Storyteller
  • Blue Monday Volume 4: Painted Moon
Patrick 'Pat' McHale is a writer, storyboard artist, animator, and independent filmmaker, best known for being a former writer and creative director on the animated series Adventure Time for Cartoon Network, which he contributed to during its first five seasons. McHale also created the mini-series Over the Garden Wall.

Over the Garden Wall (mini-series) (5 books)
  • Over the Garden Wall Special #1