Start by marking “The Woman Who Says No: Françoise Gilot on Her Life With and Without Picasso” as Want to Read:
The Woman Who Says No: Françoise Gilot on Her Life With and Without Picasso

The Woman Who Says No: Françoise Gilot on Her Life With and Without Picasso

An intimate and revealing biography of the talented artist who dared to leave Picasso.

Françoise Gilot’s ex-lover Pablo Picasso called her “the woman who says no.” She may have spent her life in the company of men who changed the world—Picasso, Matisse, and Jonas Salk—but Gilot forged vital relationships with ground-breaking artists and scientists on her o
Published May 1st 2016 by Greystone Books

To ask other readers questions about The Woman Who Says No, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Woman Who Says No

Start your review of The Woman Who Says No: Françoise Gilot on Her Life With and Without Picasso
Lisa Zacks
Jun 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I was disappointed with this book. I wanted to learn more about Francoise Gilot's life with Picasso, but I felt like the main focus of the book was the interview done between the author and Gilot, which took place when she was in her 90's. Gilot came across as arrogant and indifferent about her relationship with Picasso (and I didn't really care about the author's personal stories). The book did, however, motivate me to read Life With Picasso, which was far more informative.
Francoise
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It was an enthralling read on the life of an extraordinary woman that has no intention of slowing down. I could not put the book down, it has a great mix of interview and story of her life in childhood, her interaction with Picasso and as an artist.
Debbie Vest
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating read! I watched PBS~Genius Picasso, wanted to know more about F. Gilot.
Feb 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"If you want to really live, you must risk living on the edge; otherwise life isn't worth it. When you open yourself up to rush, you will also experience bad things, but mostly you will learn a lot and live and understand more and more. Most importantly, you will not be bored. The very worst thing is to be bored." -FG
Rosa Shz
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
she is extraordinary and the book is a great craft of interviews and observations of herwing. tried my best to read it slow in fear of finishing it. it’s a book to keep close to self and open once in a while for inspiration, life lessons and art lessons!

“discipline is essential. without it, even intuition won’t help you. and you must practice. always practice.” ~f.g
Em
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved this book so much that I wanted to devour it and save it all at once.
Isabelle Duval
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
My own research on the topic of narcissism lead me to study Picasso's behaviour, namely with women- his relationship to them- and then, inevitably, to the subject of Françoise Gilot.
She is a woman worth discovering; her relevance is palpable. Through her, art lessons become life lessons, as she draws metaphors from the former and infuses the latter with tranquil certainties.
This book is a conversation, a conversation between a pupil and his master, between an author's endearing naivety an
Larissa
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: narrative
I picked this up wanting to know more about Françoise Gilot's life both with and without Picasso, like the subtitle suggests. The book was beautiful and special—I especially liked the artwork scattered throughout, and the paper quality—but I was disappointed whenever the topic veered too much into the author's interview with Gilot and his own thoughts on her life and experiences, which was often. I enjoyed it, but ultimately, the book made me want to read Life with Picasso.
Amber
Oct 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
She is fascinating, but this book was more about Herwig's obsession with Gilot than about her life.
Mary
Aug 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting balance of interviews with Gilot in which she imparts very good advice and the author's own quest for living an authentic life. A good companion for Gilot's biography. Wonderful photography of a most handsome woman.
Dennisspillane
Deirdre
Aug 21, 2017
Tasha
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quicker read than I expected, but it did shed some illumination on Francoise Gilot.
While the author does focus more on her, I do wish that there had been more time spent on her relationship with Jonas Salk, instead of spending such a large chunk of the book on her life with Picasso, which is already fairly known.

Overall, it was quite nice to get more of her perspective directly via the interviews conducted.
Syra Larkin
Ali
Oct 15, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Life with Picasso
  • Broad Strokes: 15 Women Who Made Art and Made History (in That Order) (Gifts for Artists, Inspirational Books, Gifts for Creatives)
  • Invisible: The Forgotten Story of the Black Woman Lawyer Who Took Down America's Most Powerful Mobster
  • The Spy Wore Red
  • Some of My Lives: A Scrapbook Memoir
  • Unplug: A Simple Guide to Meditation for Busy Skeptics and Modern Soul Seekers
  • A Life's Work: On Becoming a Mother
  • Daily Rituals: Women at Work
  • Signs Preceding the End of the World
  • Cozy: The Art of Arranging Yourself in the World
  • The Savant - a novel
  • The Afterlife Revolution: We DO Live On and We CAN stay connected!
  • Blueschild Baby