Start by marking “The Hating Game” as Want to Read:
The Hating Game

The Hating Game

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  96,138 ratings  ·  14,778 reviews
This is a previously-published edition - ISBN13: 9780062439598

Nemesis (n.) 1) An opponent or rival whom a person cannot best or overcome.
2) A person’s undoing
3) Joshua Templeman

Lucy Hutton has always been certain that the nice girl can get the corner office. She’s charming and accommodating and prides herself on being loved by everyone at Bexley & Gamin. Everyone except/>Nemesis
Published August 9th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about The Hating Game, please sign up.
Farjana Why does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm…moreWhy does it matter which city it's in ? Does it change the story ? Would you like to visit the city perhaps ? Sorry if I'm coming off as wrong, I'm just curious as to why a city is important than the concept or story of this novel ??(less)
Azzah Hayat Yes, she is. It's called The Comfort Zone and it comes out some time next summer. :)

·  96,138 ratings  ·  14,778 reviews

Start your review of The Hating Game
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Re-read 5/25/19: Realized I hadn't re-read this in 2019 and obvs had to remedy that. I love this book so damn much that I could probably recite it in my sleep. Swooney swoon swoon.

Re-read 12/30/18: I had a mighty need to re-read this so it would be my last read of the year and I clearly have no regrets. I've read this book so many times now I could probably recite all the swooniest bits from memory lmao. I still love Lucy & Josh 4ev@

Re-read 9/27/18: Welp arcs of 99 Pe
✦❋Arianna✦❋
5 Stars!!

description

I honestly think 'The Hating Game”' is that kind of book anyone would enjoy – wonderfully written is a very entertaining way, griping from the very beginning and perfect if you love enemies to lovers stories. I’ve read many books with this trope, so trust me when I say Sally Thorne’s debut novel was a great one. More than gr
Skyler Autumn
Sep 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
1 Stars

Warning I'm about to swear a whole fucking lot!

I am so pissed at this book and at all the people who got this book a average 4.24 rating on Goodreads. How!?! Is the author bribing people? Has she held your loved ones hostage!?

The novel follows the relationship of Lucy and Josh rivals in life and the "workplace." I put workplace in brackets because the two leads rarely do anything but stare at each other and play immature games in the same vain as 2 year old boy pulling the hair o
Wendy Darling
This is somehow a magical blend of adult Sarra Manning + Sarah Mayberry + Jennifer Crusie. It's funny and sharp and serious, with seething workplace rivalry and career drama coupled with crazy great chemistry and delicious banter. It also has unbelievably sweet and tender moments (view spoiler), though you'll easily laugh a minute after that! It captures that weird obsessive behavior you can't help when you first fall in love, ...more
Warda
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread x3. This story is one of the best things I’ve ever read.

-/——————————

Reread.
My heart cannot be contained right now. I'm so in love with this book to the point where I feel sick and my heart wants to burst with happiness. This story leaves me on a high that I cannot come down from. I don't want to. I'm addicted! The whole thing feels so unreal to me, I'm wondering whether something like that actually exists.

For gods sake, I'm all over the place.

But, if you haven't read this book, the
Christy
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 stars!!!

photo 863DAA56-0A9A-40F1-A85F-570D12C930B7_zpsbjay11cd.png

What did I love about The Hating Game? Everything. I loved everything about this book. There is nothing better than finishing a book by an author you’ve never read and having this flying high feeling. I feel freaking giddy right now. I listened to the audio and I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I got asked why I was in such a good mood more than once over the few days I listened to it. That, my friends, is an epic book!

What do you do when you’re the nice girl at the office who has an evil nemesi
Hailey (Hailey in Bookland)
3.75*
I really wasn’t sure about this up until the end but once I got there I was squeaaaaaaling
Katerina
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heartwarming (adj.):
Causing pleasant feelings of happiness (and silly, stupid tears you can't stop).

By all means, it was not a sad book. On the contrary, The Hating Game was a funny, sweet, adorable, intoxicating office romance about two sworn enemies that fell in love. And I'm crying because it filled me with so much joy, and hope and love my body can barely contain!

Heartwarming (adj.):

“Both love and hate are mirror versions of the same game-and you have to win. Why? Your heart and your ego.”

Josh is Lucy's nemesis. They work together while they plot each other's murder. They play juvenile games, they keep filing complaints to Human Resources, and they make each other miserable. Their competition is tough, and with a promotion on the horizon things escalate quickly. But after one mind-blowing elevator kiss, and some unexpected kindness from Josh, Lucy starts to wonder whether beneath his cold and cruel behavior exists a Nice Guy after all, with the potential to break her heart.
The line between love and hate was never so blurry.
“No one can kiss me like you do.”

Dear Sally Thorne, I'm yours.
I can't get rid of this ridiculously wide grin on my face, I'm one step from looking like Joker. And then I remember all those moving and sweet moments and I start crying, and people wonder who murdered my cat. I don't have a cat.
Josh and Lucy's story tugged at my heartstrings in an unexpected way. They were two characters beautifully crafted, with their flaws and insecurities. Lucy was always sociable and charming, she wanted people to like her but in the end, she was lonely. Josh was a clinical asshole that made everyone tremble, and tiny Lucy was the only one that stood up to him. Little did she know how shy and caring he was.
“Shortcake.”
“Stop calling me Shortcake.”
“Watching you pretend to hate that nickname is the best part of my day.”

Hilarious banters, crackling tension, tenderness and passion, The Hating Game has everything you could ask for from a romance novel. Every single touch spoke straight to my heart, and made my blood warm and my head dizzy! There were times I forgot how to breathe, and times I couldn't help but sigh. Josh is such a dreamy guy, yummilicious and sexy and so, so swoonworthy!

While I would have liked a few chapters from Josh's POV, I enjoyed Lucy's narrative so much! She was such a sweet and funny and adorable person, and you could understand her reservations and her fears!
I'm so in love.
“What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy.”
“Strangling you. Bare hands.”
“So that’s your kink.”
“Only where you’re concerned.”

If this sappy review didn't convince you to read this little gem, please do check Arianna's review! ❤︎
Anne
Normally I hate chick-lity romance, but this is one of those fantastic exceptions that makes me want to reconsider my usual reluctance to read this genre.
In fact, I loved it so much I started to wonder:

description

Apparently, I'm really late to The Hating Game party.
Did my friends just not tell me about this one, or did this come out while I was undergoing all that laser hair removal? Dark times, dark times...
At any rate, I ran across thischick-lit
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
"What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."
"Strangling you. Bare hands." I can barely get the words out. I'm huskier than a phone-sex operator after a double shift.
"So that's your kink." His eyes are going dark.

Oh, boy did I love those two!! XD
I mean who wouldn’t enjoy reading banter like that? It was amazing and I couldn’t wait to read more about them! I swear their conversations were addicting and I loved the way Lucy narrated the story. I mean seriously! THAT GI
Navessa
Feb 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Navessa by: Bonnie

"I wish I could use my thumbs to pull his mouth into a huge deranged grin. As the police drag me out in handcuffs I'll be screeching, Smile, goddamn you."

Imagine being so riled by someone that you end up thinking things like the above on a near-hourly basis. That is the kind of relationship the male and female lead in this book have with each other. They're the executive assistants to the joint heads of their company, and are forced to share cubicle space right outside their offices.

Which would be fine, if t
emma
read this for the 3rd time so...probably time to round up that 4.5
------------------------------
just reread this and i stand by this review.

especially the rapunzel gif.
------------------------------
Oh my gosh.

This book was a blast and a half. This is what I looked like when I was reading it:

Well, in my mind at least. In actuality I was reading it off my laptop at 2 a.m., eating cherry water ice and grinning like an idiot. The glow
jessica
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
if i could marry a book and spend the rest of my life with it, it would be this one. this makes me happy on so many levels.

i promise to have and hold this book (often taking it off the bookshelf and flipping through it pages), from this day forward, for better or worse (when other books may tempt me or try to lead me astray), for richer or poorer (when i can afford new books, i will reread this first), i promise to love and cherish (it will always have a 5 stars rating), till death d
TheCrazyWorldOfABookLover
AMAZING NEWS!!!!!!!!! The Hating Game is coming to the big screen! https://deadline.com/2018/07/the-simp...

MY DREAM CAST 😍

description

I didn't love this. No. I need a stronger word than love.
Obsessed? Infatuated? Giddy? Whatever, take your pick. But Oh My Joshua, I am crazy for everything about this book. The writing, the humor, the lust, the sexual tension, the emotion, the slow delicious burn. This is probably the best enemies to lovers story I have ever read.

MY DREAM CAST 😍

description

I didn't love this. No. I need a stronger word than love.

description

Lucy Hutton and Josh Templeman work together at Gamin Publishing and Bexley Books and they have hated each other from the moment they met. They spend their days trying to out do and frustrate the other, play these ridiculous games (but I must say the Kissing Game was my favorite one), and their ultimate goal is to basically make the other cry. They are total opposites - Lucy is lovable, hysterical, and a people pleaser. Josh is a smart ass, grumpy, and cynical.

"So painting your nails tonight, desperately alone?"
Lucky guess on his part?
"Yes. Masturbating and crying into your pillow, Doctor Joshua?" He looks at the top button of my shirt.
"Yes. And don't call me that."

Reading about these two fight? I was in TEARS. This was HYSTERICAL.

“What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy.”
“Strangling you. Bare hands.” I can barely get the words out. I’m huskier than a phone-sex operator after a double shift.

But reading about these two falling in love? My heart almost couldn't take it.

“All I want to do is kiss you until I fall asleep. I want to slide in between your sheets, and find out what goes on inside your head, and underneath your clothes. I want to make a fool of myself over you.”

"The first smile Joshua's ever had in my presence is pressed against my lips."

"I love him so much it's like a thread piercing me. Punching holes. Dragging through. Stitching love into me. I'll never be able to untangle myself from this feeling. The color of love is surely this robin's-egg blue."

And my favorite line of all the lines:

"I fucking love your red."

Joshua snuggling? I swoon. Joshua being romantic? I die. But when Joshua gets jealous? For the love of all that is holy, I can't deal. Joshua Templeman is a GOD and I love him unlike anyone or anything. He is mine. And I will fight you for him. The end.

There is no greater feeling than picking up a book and not expecting it to live up to the hype, only to find it does. IT SO DOES.

If I could give this book 6 million stars I would. If I could shout from every rooftop TO STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING AND READ THIS RIGHT THIS SECOND I would. Do yourself a favor and read this phenomenal debut novel!

"See,” he says into my mouth. “I don’t hate you, Lucy.”

The Hating Game is out now! | http://amzn.to/2edzVuc

Find Me On:
InstagramFB PageFB BlogBlog
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing

“I have a theory.
Hating someone feels disturbingly similar to being in love with them.
I've had a lot of time to compare love and hate, and these are my observations.
Love and hate are visceral.”

Story ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Sometimes (but rarely) when I finish a book, I think:
I’d love to read this again.
Like, right now.
Is it too early to already start a reread?
Well, but I want to.
(My tbr-shelf is probably hating me right now)
But... It was so freaking perfect. ♥
If you want to have a feel-nice-book then take this masterpiece and read i
Natalie Monroe
Things that Make Natalie want to Flip a Table:

-Cliches

Cliche A: the hate-to-love relationship

This is a trope that CAN be done well. If there's a fresh spin. And the characters were likable. Josh was *gasp* secretly in love with her all along, but instead of doing something radical like being nice, he embarks on a third-grader's idea of wooing women. He figuratively flicks boogers in her hair and breaks her crayons.

Cliche B: the sick scene from every shoujo manga

Our plucky heroine is dangerously ill yet still determinedly stumbliTable:
Cliche
Chelsea Humphrey
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Leigh Kramer
Shelves: library
4.5 STARS

I've been seeing The Hating Game plastered across my Goodreads feed for well over a year now and avoided it solely due to my phase of being constantly disappointed by the majorly hyped books. I could just about slap myself silly for pushing this aside for so many months, because it was worth the hype and much more. While a little slow in the first few chapters, the story quickly takes off once the scene is set and I'm forced to admit something-I have a serious obsession with love to hate tropes.something-I
Candace
OMG! This book had me in stitches! It was hilarious. I listened to the audiobook version and spent the day smiling like a loon while everyone in my house wondered what was so entertaining about doing the laundry.

The story revolves around Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, two executive assistants forced together when rival publishing companies merge, making their respective bosses co-CEOs. They spend their days antagonizing each other and verbally sparring. I laughed my ass off listening to thei
Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦

"I want to know what's going on in your brain. I want to juice your head like a lemon."

➦This is Sally Thorne's debut novel and I have to say - job well done! I love romcoms and this one certainly hit the spot. A book about two co-workers battling it out in the office. You see, there is an opening for a job which they both want. Let the games begin.
"-What are you imagining? Your expression is filthy."

"-Stangling you. Bare hands."

Lucy is a sweetheart and a people pleaser. So why is it so hard for her to get along with Josh? Well, because he is a major asshole. Yep. Perhap➦begin.
Whitney Atkinson
4.5 Stars

Every book needs to take notes from the way this romance is written. It's exactly the type of detailing that I crave in books like this and i'm SO thrilled I finally got the chance to read this and add to my list of new favorites, even though it wasn't perfect.

The beginning of this book needs to be fleshed out a lot more. We’re told that Lucy haaates Josh, but there’s nothing substantial to back that up, and she kinda just tells the reader HE’S HORRIBLE AND ANNOY
❄️Nani❄️
So I finally read the romance book that took GR and other book communities by storm and... I liked it? It was okay. And cute.
I wouldn’t say I fell madly in love with it like most people did but it was fun. That’s about it.

Let me preface this by saying that I wanted to (really) love it. I truly and genuinely did but the fact of the matter is that fluffy contemporary romance novels just aren’t my thing. I tried.
If given the choice, I’d always go for plot-driven books-at least for the most part-
Bibi
01/22/18:
Even better the second time reading. Josh and Lucy are too cute and so much fun to hang with. Sigh.

Initial Review

There's a new kid on the Rom-Com scene and her name is Sally Thorne. Holy molly!

This book...aww...this book.

Firstly, the dialogue was insane. Freaking insane. No word was misplaced or unwarranted. All were perfectly placed.

Secondly, the plot. So simple yet so riveting. Two colleagues who seemingly can't abide each other but ah.. Thorne/>Initial
Nissa | Of Pens and Pages Book Blog
Review at Of Pens and Pages.

Reasons why I loved The Hating Game

1. Lucy Hutton
2. Josh Templeman
3. The banter
4. The chemistry
5. SLOW.BURN.
6. Matchbox cars
7. Smurfs
8. White, off-white stripe, cream, pale yellow, mustard, baby blue, robin's egg blue, dove-gray, navy, and black business shirts
9. CUDDLING
10. Hate to love

I devoured this book. Completely devoured it. I was looking for a slow-burn, hate to love office romance, and this was it. I am so happy right now, you guys. I'class="gr-hostedUserImg">
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

This book needs an introduction.
Because this book, my wonderful Goodreads community, is my all time favorite book number one.
I read this book the first time in March 2018.
My bookish best friend Mary told me about it and said: „You’re gonna love this!“
So I picked it up... and fell in love. So deeply, so crazy, that I read this book five times (and it’s only January 2019).
I read this book when I’m sad and need a happy place.
I read this book when I’m happy and want to read about my favorite coupl
Jennifer Kyle
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
5 HR STARS

[image error]

Lovers of the enemies to lover’s trope will inhale this well written love story. If you are back and forth due to the pricing of this story please note that it is worth the price tag and I don’t regret my purchase in the least. The story is 5 star quality for its chemistry, banter, and unique story line. I adored both characters and their fall but those games were such a good time over 5 stars for entertainment value.

[image error]

When two companies merge mixing stuffy suit types with the creative people of a publishvalue.
[imageSTARS
[image
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Okay, seriously . . .? This book was AMAZING. It's so hard to find a fun, clever contemporary romance that doesn't at least occasionally cross over into cornball territory.

Lucy was a tiny little spitfire, Josh was just damaged enough to be interesting without being angsty, and together they alternately hys-freaking-terical and so adorable I literally CANNOT EVEN.

Sally Thorne . . . I've got my eye on you, woman. *tips hat*

Full RTC.
Hulya Kara Yuksel
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hulya by: Jennifer
Update :
OMG I can't wait to see Joshua&Lucy on the big screen. 😍😍😍

Lucy Hale will be playing Lucy Hutton :)

Annnnd
Robbie Amell will be playing Joshua Templeman :D

For more info, pls read Sally Thorne's official announcements! ❤

Update :
OMG I can't wait to see Joshua&Lucy on the big screen. 😍😍😍

Lucy Hale will be playing Lucy Hutton :)

Annnnd
Robbie Amell will be playing Joshua Templeman :D

For more info, pls read Sally Thorne's official announcements! ❤

----------------

This book was super sweet and also sooooo funny. I really, really enjoyed it. :)

Joshua *sigh* When you first meet with him, he'll act like a total asshole to you but when you began to get to know him very closely, he's gonna melt your heart with tenderness. I loved him a lot... :)

Ps. Jennifer, thank you so much for recommendation honey. And I also want to thank Dilek, she mentioned this book to me a lot too... :)

The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
5-I-HATE-THIS-HATING-GAME-BOOK-SO-MUCH!!!

I hate this book.
I hate these characters.
I hate the way they made me feel.
I hate how adorable Josh is.
I hate how cute Lucy is.
I hate how I'm in love with their cuteness.
I hate how I read this book in just one sitting (or should I say lying).
I hate their stupid but smexy games.
I hate Sally Thorne.
I hate how smitten I've been in the last 12 hours.

Last but not the least,

I hate that I LOVED this book sooo freaking much!!!

This
Pearl Angeli
4 Stars!

What a perfect combination of cute and sexy. I kept seeing The Hating Game on my Twitter, Instagram, and Goodreads timeline and since it's been gathering high ratings, of course my curiosity was piqued.

Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, both executive assistants to the co-owners of Bexley & Gamin, have always been at a clash with each other. They share an office room together but they don't get along well. When their respective bosses announced that one of them will be promoted as the other boss, their competitive drive became strongerpiqued.
LucyStars!
What

• The Unhoneymooners
  • The Kiss Quotient (The Kiss Quotient, #1)
  • Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating
  • Fix Her Up (Hot & Hammered, #1)
  • The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2)
  • Meet Cute
  • My Favorite Half-Night Stand
  • The Friend Zone
  • The Flatshare
  • Well Met (Well Met, #1)
  • Roomies
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1)
  • Love and Other Words
  • Kulti
  • The Wall of Winnipeg and Me
  • The Right Swipe (Modern Love, #1)
  • The Wedding Party (The Wedding Date, #3)
Sally Thorne is the USA Today bestselling author of the office rom-com The Hating Game (2016). It is her debut novel that has sold in over twenty-five countries and is being made into a major motion picture, to be directed by Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion and The Simpsons Movie director David Mirkin. It was named in the top 20 romance novels of 2016 by the Washington Post and was a top t ...more
“Books were, and always would be, something a little magic and something to respect.” 342 likes
“The trick is to find that one person who can give it back as good as they can take it.” 289 likes