Start by marking “Home Field” as Want to Read:
Home Field

Home Field

The heart of Friday Night Lights meets the emotional resonance and nostalgia of My So-Called Life in this utterly moving debut novel about tradition, family, love, and football.

As the high school football coach in his small, rural Maryland town, Dean is a hero who reorganized the athletic program and brought the state championship to the community. When he married Nicole—t
Published July 26th 2016 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Home Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Home Field

Annie ~ The Misstery
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read the review here >> Do you love the 90s and small-town stories? If so, you should get your hands on this book. It’s a bit long and not a lot happens, but I felt like I was watching a beautiful film, one of those movies I used to love when I was kid. I really believe this could become a great film.

This is not one of those plot-driven novels I usually read, it’s actually more character-driven: everything revolves about Dean, the high-school football coach, her teenage “daughter” Stepha
Perri
Sep 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I can sure see the stated resemblance especially to Friday Night Lights -an understated but powerful rendition of a family torn apart by tragedy. It made me reflect on mental illness, specifically depression and suicide, and how it impacts loved ones and causes unintended reverberations.

Fatima
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book in a goodreads giveaway and I'm so glad i did because it's a beautifully written novel about family drama; a father, his teenage daughter, his two young sons, and the small town they live in. For anyone who grew up in the 90's or raised children during the 90's this book will remind you of home. I loved the characters and got attached to them instantly. The plot is both heartbreaking and heartwarming (I'll admit I cried more than once). Overall, I loved this book and highly ...more
Lesley
Dec 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
I sadly say this took me forever to read, I would try a few chapters, put it down go back read some more but just never enjoyed it. Yes nostalgic of the 1990's and how a family deals with loss from a suicide, but I HATE sports so I wasn't that interested in this coach's life. Just wasn't for me, I am sure many others will enjoy it.
Chaitra
I wasn't completely sold on Home Field, but it wasn't completely awful either. Dean's a football coach, and I think that's part of it - I myself was never sporty, and try as I might I could not see things from his perspective, that sport is the be all and end all, it cures everything. I also thought Dean lacked empathy, and therefore I didn't feel I owed it to him to be sympathetic to his problems.

Dean is this typical jock, he's uncomfortable with anything or anyone who's different from him - h
Megan Coppadge
I received this book via a Goodreads giveaway courtesy of William Morrow.

This is the beginning of the blurb for this book. "The heart of Friday Night Lights meets the emotional resonance and nostalgia of My So-Called Life in this moving debut novel about tradition, family, love, and football."

Now this is totally misleading. Football plays a role in this novel but not a super big one. Maybe about 25%, maybe. Also I don't know where tradition plays a role in this novel as well.

I wasn't super impre
Cory Stocking
Sep 30, 2018 rated it liked it
I got this book as a gift from my mom, so felt some compelling force to finish it. It had a good plot but was slow. I didn’t feel like it wrapped up well, lots of loose ends. Nice casual read, though.
Raymond Rusinak
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Quite an enjoyable and interesting story. Doesn’t quite live up to the hype of Friday Night Lights meets My So Called Life but none the less, still a good read
Barbara Moher
May 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Liked it, did not love it
Diane
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hannah Gersen's debut novel Home Field is billed as a combination of Friday Night Lights and My So-Called Life. That's quite a high bar to set, and Gersen clears it with room to spare.

Dean is a successful high school football coach in a small Maryland town. He runs a terrific program, and is known and respected throughout the town. Years ago he married a young widow, Nicole, whose husband was a high school football hero. Nicole and her husband were high school sweethearts and had a young daughte
Kristin Shaak
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, 2017
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, fiction
I grew up in the county over from where "Home Field" takes place and I started high school in 1999 so I was excited to get a look at a world I knew through this book. Aside from the familiar setting, this book has a really good family drama at its center. Dean is his small town's football coach. His wife was the beauty queen. They have two kids that seem like they're on their way to success. It was an all-American story until Dean's life and the life of his kids is shattered when his wife commit ...more
Steve Williams
i love so much about this novel: its sensitive, well-observed depiction of depression and grief; its careful but also incredibly natural structure and plotting; its serious treatment of small towns and small town life; the choice to alternate between the perspectives of high school football coach dean and his daughter, swarthmore freshman stephanie, and its ability to handle the two equally well; gersen's prose, which is always a pleasure to read but never tries too hard to dazzle you.

the novel
Cindy
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
As one reviewer said, this is a cozy read. Almost too comfortable for me. It's the story of a football coach who loses his wife and is left alone with three children to raise. Dean is struggling to care for his children and understand and deal with their grief. He is also trying to overcome his own grief and unfortunately I didn't care for the decisions he made in his own now sad life. I was expecting more drama but somehow the story fell flat. Guess I wanted more football, more sensitivity from ...more
Stan Blackburn
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. This story and characters kept me wanting to read, which is a good sign. The characters, however, often became irritating and unpredictable. The older daughter was the most believable, however. Robbie and Dean were at best mildly irritating, at worst unbelievable. The author can craft sentences well but the plot is missing the "it" factor of a solid story. And then there are characters that are left unresolved, like Laura. It was okay.
Shannon
Jan 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-books
I really looked forward to reading this book, but I have to say I was greatly disappointed in it. This story could of been so much better, but it rambled around too much. And to introduce another "drama" within the last 80 pages, and not to resolve iit completely? This book left me with too many questions unanswered.
Susan Csoke
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Dean, who is married and the father of three children, living in a rural Maryland town seems to have it all. He is the high school football coach and a hero. When Deans wife Nicole commits suicide, his world is turned awry. THANK YOU GOODREADS FIRSTREADS FOR THIS FREE BOOK!!!
Caryn
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: blog-tour
Lynn Cutting
Dec 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
This took me too long to read and wasn't what I expected. A Long drawn out story with an abrupt ending. I didn't liked this one very much...disappointing
Nerdette Podcast
Jul 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is lovely. It's like FNL+MSCL. Bonus points if you know what that means!
Layla
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, shelfslam2017
DNF'd at approx halfway. It gets more than 1 star because I didn't hate it, I was just bored and couldn't connect.
Marisa
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is heartbreaking, beautiful, poignant, and more. Not only is the style poetic, it's easy to read without being flowery. All of the characters are interesting and complex with different journeys of growth so that by the end of the book, each of them has grown and changed (except for maybe Bryan, but he's like, eight years old and far more of a lesser supporting character). I found myself relating to Stephanie in so many ways, and it brought back my first year of college, which was only ...more
Terri
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: family, friends, marriage
This is a sad but sweet story about a family who is trying to reconnect after the death of the wife and mother. She took her own life and left behind her husband, a teenage daughter and 2 young sons. Everyone is feeling the loss. Some are angry, some are confused and some are very lonely. As each of them tries to find their place without her, they struggle.

Finally, they find a way to come together and can deal with the loss.

Ted Hinkle
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Heart warming first novel from Hannah Gersen. The story line touched me, hard to put into words my feeling. An unforgettable read, yes, similar to a "Friday Night Lights" story, but with the sensitivity and emotional flow of "The Shack".
Sarah Abrams
Aug 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
This book was way too long and slow. Too much time wasted on insignificant details that had nothing to do with the plot, way too much emphasis on sports and characters left unresolved. Finished the book but it was painful.
Paltia
Dec 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Sue
Feb 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I had a really hard time giving this a rating. The story was compelling and it had a realness to it that's hard to find sometimes. At the same time, some of that realness just made me cringe. Ugh. IDK.
April Mackay
Jan 07, 2018 rated it liked it
The author does a good job of tackling a heavy subject, suicide, and the ways that it impacts different people within the same family. The added complexities of the father's love life and aunt's religious focus seem to take away from the overall storyline of the novel. Overall, it was a good read!
Mary Jo
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
A quiet emotional story of a football coach and his family dealing with loss. It was easy to identify with as I am familiar with the small town coaching scenerio. I liked it!
Minke
Jul 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Good beach read. Easy read w some heavier content.
  • Separate Lives
  • The Fallen Star (The Nocturnals #3)
  • The Shores of Our Souls
  • More Than Rivals: A Championship Game and a Friendship That Moved a Town Beyond Black and White
  • Dynastic, Bombastic, Fantastic: Reggie, Rollie, Catfish, and Charlie Finley’s Swingin’ A’s
  • 100 Most Infamous Criminals