Start by marking “I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life” as Want to Read:
I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life

I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  8,965 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews

Joining the ranks of popular science classics like The Botany of Desire and The Selfish Gene, a groundbreaking, wondrously informative, and vastly entertaining examination of the most significant revolution in biology since Darwin—a “microbe’s-eye view” of the world that reveals a marvelous, radically reconceived picture of life on earth.

Every animal, whether human, squid,

Published August 9th 2016 by Ecco

To ask other readers questions about I Contain Multitudes, please sign up.
Dane Hi Veronica, depending on the reader, this book is for people who are curious and full of imagination... for the way the world can be seen through the…moreHi Veronica, depending on the reader, this book is for people who are curious and full of imagination... for the way the world can be seen through the lens of microbiology. Whoever reads this will be more informed about animals (including the human animal), plants, history and science. Answer: As early as possible!! :)(less)

·  8,965 ratings  ·  1,278 reviews

Will Byrnes
You’ve got company.

description

Carol Anne Freeling was certainly right when she said, “They’re hee-ur,” well maybe not enraged spirits, but there are certainly plenty of entities present to which we have paid insufficient attention. Maybe Regan MacNeil was closer to the mark in proclaiming “We are legion.”

description
When Orson Welles said “We’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone,” he was mistaken. Even when we are alone, we are never alone. We exist in symbiosis—a wonderful term that refers to different organ
carol.
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in biology, medicine, life
Recommended to carol. by: Anna
Note: Kindle version on sale in US 2/3/19

For my entire hospital career I have worked in oncology, where I have been part of teams taking care of people with cancer. Frequently patients have “neutropenic fevers,” a condition considered to be potentially harmful and almost always requiring admission to the hospital. Neutrophils are those brave little white blood cells that go out into our bodies and do battle with all the nasty things our bodies are exposed to every day. Neutropenia means the pati
Jamie
Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, I will never think of bacteria and archaea the same. I certainly have a newfound understanding of just how vital it is to every part of life. That microbes and bacteria have helped shape our planet for billions of years, down to every single flora and fauna; even all the oxygen we breath has come from bacteria.
I also never really thought about the microbes that are constantly around us and even on me, or how many you are "seeding" to the world. That"every person aerosolises 37 million bac
David
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a fascinating book about the microbes inside all of us, and inside other animals as well. Now, it is often said that there are ten times as many bacteria in our bodies as there are cells. This, it turns out, is probably an over-estimate; the number of bacteria is probably in the same ballpark as the number of cells. But still, that is a lot!

This book goes into detail about the amazing partnerships--the symbioses--between microbes and large organisms, mostly animals and humans. Microbes a
Barbara
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Though we might lather our skin with antibacterial soap, clean our hands with alcohol sanitizers, gargle with mouthwash, scrub our kitchen surfaces, disinfect our bathrooms, spray Lysol all over the house, take antibiotics, etc., there are - and always will be - microbes everywhere. This is especially true of our warm moist bodies - which are covered inside and out with microorganisms....and this is a good thing.

In fact our bodies are really an indivisible aggregate of 'our' tissues and organs..
Clif Hostetler
Aug 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science
Recently I've been hearing reports of miracle cures of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) by use of fecal matter transplants. Also I've heard that some autoimmune diseases may be caused by environments that are too clean.

Upon hearing these things the question that comes to my mind is, why this new found enthusiasm for microorganisms? We've known about bacteria since Louis Pasteur. So why all this new information about microbes as if it was something new? (Actually we learn in this book that Antonie
Chrissie
I liked this book so I am giving it three stars.

It is common knowledge today that everything and all of us are covered with microbes - that some are good and some are bad. Their number can be debated. We have in the past been fixated on getting rid of them. This has been to our detriment. It is clear we have gone too far. Antibiotics are good and necessary, but at the same time they must be used with care. In heedlessly wiping out microbes, we have created an environment where pathogens prolife
Alex
Oct 23, 2018 marked it as to-read
Everybody likes this book about gutbunnies, which is a term I just now made up for the tiny little things that live in you.
Emily
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A NEW NONFICTION FAVORITE!!! I'M SO HAPPY.

This is absolutely fabulous scientific nonfiction. I think at times, scienctific nonfiction swings one of two ways--over simplified, or overly pendantic. This book truly hit the sweet spot. It's accessible, gorgeously written, and incredibly informative and well-researched.

In particular, I liked that Yong doesn't shy away from differing schools of thought. Microbiology as we know it today is still a relatively new science, and as such there are a LOT of
Diane
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction-misc
I did enjoy this book, but it didn't 'wow' me as much as some of the other reviewers. In fact, I started it awhile ago, and just got distracted by other books, and put it down ... which never happens, if I'm enthralled by a book. When I finally came back to it, I did learn a few things, and read a few things aloud to hubby, so, all-in-all I suppose it was a 'good read'.

4 Stars = Outstanding. It definitely held my interest.
Joshua Buhs
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fascinating topic poorly served by the conventions of popular science writing.

Ed Yong's book is about microbes--bacteria, mostly, but also viruses and few other extremely small creatures--and how they live with other organisms--humans for the most part, with plenty of other animals, too, though no plants.

It has Darwinian ambitions, announced in its subtitle: "A Grander View of Life" evokes Darwin's famous phrase closing the first edition of "On the Origin of Species": "There is grandeur in thi
Ashlula
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated all the information in this book. Might change how you look at yourself, think of yourself and the world around you.
Rebecca
Ed Yong is a London-based science writer for The Atlantic and is part of National Geographic’s blogging network. I had trouble believing that I Contain Multitudes is his first book; it’s so fluent and engaging that it immediately draws you into the microbial world and keeps you marveling at its strange yet fascinating workings. Yong writes like a journalist rather than a scientist, and that’s a good thing: with an eye to the average reader, he uses a variety of examples and metaphors, interspers ...more
Paul
You may think that we are just made from muscles, blood cells, bones and a fair bit of DNA, but in between the gaps are microbes. Billions and billions of them. There are the odd rogue ones, but most of them are useful and make up an essential element of our being. Without them we could not live. They help us in countless ways, sculpting our organs, protecting us from disease and feeding and nourishing us; our gut contains a complete ecosystem that ensure that we extract all the energy we need.

M
aPriL does feral sometimes
This is a fun read!

Each one of us is a microbiome, with billions of bacteria literally on every bit of our skin and hair. Inside our bodies and in our cells, we have even more interesting little microscopic monsters. Plus, we share these little bugs with everyone we meet, especially the people we live with. If you have a dog, the volume of bacteria in your home increases exponentially.

If, gentle reader, you are now scratching and twitching, may I suggest getting a copy of 'I Contain Multitudes'
Forrest
Mar 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
You are what you eat.
You eat what you are.
What you aren't eats you and other things that aren't you, but are in you.
I am legion.
Wanda
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
First of all, kudos for an excellent title, referencing the poetry of Walt Whitman’s Song of Myself. It is not the only literary reference and I truly appreciate that in a science writer.

Yong gives the feeling of being on a safari, observing exotic wildlife. He makes single-celled organisms as interesting as wildebeest and lions. We have come a long way in understanding this part of the ecosystem, and we have miles to go before we perfect that knowledge.

The microorganisms were here first. All of
Charlene
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is jam-packed with tons of information about the recently uncovered world of microbes. Considering how many books about microbes are popping up, I was skeptical at first, but it quickly became apparent that this book was based on nothing but the best science available on the subject. Just like the Sonnenburgs' book Gut, I contain Multitudes focused on what we know about microbes and was very clear about the lack of evidence when speculating. The researchers cited by Yong are the best i ...more
Amir Tesla
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: health
Such a mind-blowing book.
Olive (abookolive)
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
See my review on booktube: https://youtu.be/7A6jT35WEEQ
Dov Zeller
“Forget Orson Welles, and heed Walt Whitman: “I am large, I contain multitudes.”

“'Each animal is an ecosystem with legs,' says John Rawls."

“As palaeontologist Andrew Knoll once said, 'Animals might be evolution's icing, but bacteria are really the cake.'"

Yep, Ed Yong knows how to salt and pepper his writing with some good quotes.

He also pens some wonderful great-for-quoting prose himself:

"It's estimated that every human contains 100 trillion microbes, most of which live in our guts. By compari
Ana
Aug 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read Harder Challenge 2018
#6. A book about nature

... and loads of accessible sciencey stuff, with an “I am legion” vibe, I might add. This is a fun read!
Allie
Jan 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Utterly fascinating. Review to come, once I pick up the pieces of my brain and assemble some coherent thoughts.
Isil Arican
Sep 06, 2016 rated it liked it
I love Ed Yong's articles and I wanted to read this book since I heard it was coming out.
Microbiom is a fascinating subject and he does a good job of giving background information, explaining the background work and giving interesting examples. So overall I enjoyed reading it.

The reason for only three stars: the books structure is not great. He talks about an issue and revisits it again and again. It is lacking the flow, and feels like he is visiting the same points over and over again. I assume
Cheese
Sep 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was an excellent eye opener into the world of microbiomes and how they shape our world.

We are just a vessel for them. They are the real dominant species on this planet. We live with them, we provide for them adn they work with us.

The examples given in this book are really interesting, but what really blows my mind is how we can now start using them to improve the way we live and improve our planet.
Ian Rose
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite popular science book of the past few years. I think it certainly deserves to be mentioned aside Elizabeth Kolbert's Sixth Extinction, Song of the Dodo, etc. I read a fair amount about biology and practiced it in the field (albeit in a wildly different specialty) and I was still shocked by some of the work going on in microbial bio today. Can't recommend it enough, for people interested in science and certainly for science fiction writers.
Barbara
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book contains so much information one would need to reread and reread it and still not absorb it all. The history of microbe studies as well as very current research is fascinating. Ed Long does a great job using analogies to help the lay reader understand the complexities. Those interested in science and specifically microbes will enjoy this book.
Science (Fiction) Comedy Horror and Fantasy Geek/Nerd
Inner values in this context receive a whole new, trillions of dimensions.

Please note that I put the original German text at the end of this review. Just if you might be interested.

Like so many prejudices, those against microorganisms are stupid and shortsighted. The first associations are not symbiosis and better health but infection and disease. The negative image is over-represented. Hygiene and health are essential, but the benefits of invisible companions are far too rarely highlighted. The
Leo Walsh
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading a straight pop-science book is a nice change, and even better when the book covers super-interesting material, as Ed Yong’s I Contain Multitudes: The Microbes Within Us and a Grander View of Life does. Where Yong lays bare research into inter-species cooperation that’s changing scientist’s views about natural selection.

In the classic evolutionary/ biological view, it’s “us” against “the world.” Life is a struggle, red in tooth and claw. While that is true, it ignores that adaptive succe
Atila Iamarino
Uma revisão bem ponderada sobre as descobertas recentes do microbioma humano (e não só humano). O Ed Yong é um escritor de ciência de mão cheia, tranquilamente um dos melhores da atualidade, que entre outras coisas bloga no Not Exactly Rocket Science, da NatGeo.

Este é o primeiro livro dele (pelo que sei) e já acerta de mão cheia. Bem humorado, bem explicado, bastante acessível e atualizado. Na minha opinião, o livro definitivo para se ler sobre microbioma humano e os efeitos que as bactérias no
  • Darwin's Ghosts: The Secret History of Evolution
  • Dry Store Room No. 1: The Secret Life of the Natural History Museum
  • The Tangled Tree: A Radical New History of Life
  • Improbable Destinies: Fate, Chance, and the Future of Evolution
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2016
  • Nature's Nether Regions: What the Sex Lives of Bugs, Birds, and Beasts Tell Us About Evolution, Biodiversity, and Ourselves
  • Microcosm: E. Coli and the New Science of Life
  • The Ghosts Of Evolution: Nonsensical Fruit, Missing Partners, and Other Ecological Anachronisms
  • Black Hole Blues and Other Songs from Outer Space
“Within 24 hours of moving into a new place we overwrite it with our own microbes, turning it into a reflection of ourselves.” 10 likes
“Speaking of palms, your right hand shares just a sixth of its microbial species with your left hand.19” 9 likes