Start by marking “Invasive (Zer0es, #2)” as Want to Read:
Invasive (Zer0es, #2)

Invasive

(Zer0es #2)

Michael Crichton meets Elon Musk in this gripping sci-fi tech thriller, set in the eye-opening, paranoid world of the electrifying Zeroes.

Hannah Stander is a consultant for the FBIa futurist who helps the Agency with cases that feature demonstrations of bleeding-edge technology. Its her job to help them identify unforeseen threats: hackers, AIs, genetic modification,
Published August 16th 2016 by Harper Voyager

To ask other readers questions about Invasive, please sign up.
Paula Kraft I've only read the write up on the Colony, but this book was very fat in the fire where as the Colony sounds more based in the lab. I really can't say…moreI've only read the write up on the Colony, but this book was very fat in the fire where as the Colony sounds more based in the lab. I really can't say more without a bit of a spoiler, but it is something you find out pretty early in the book, so read on at your own risk:

The ants in invasive were genetically engineered to attack people. (less)

Start your review of Invasive (Zer0es, #2)
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2016/09/12/...

Around here, we get the worst infestations of odorous ants every year especially in the late summer. Wed see them swarming in these thick nasty black trails to get at anything sugary inside the house. Theyre also impossible to get rid of because they form these huge multi-nest colonies in the suburbs, and no matter what you do they just keep coming back. Even worse, when you crush them, they give off this foul smell, hence
Emma Sea
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
That's me on the left when I'm reading 90% of this book.
That's me on the right when (view spoiler)

Ashley Daviau
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I thought it would be impossible to beat Zeroes' fast paced and action packed storyline but Invasive surpassed it by leaps and bounds! I was completely sucked in from the very first page and only found myself being more and more sucked in as it went along!

Wendig is truly a master storyteller, with every book I read by him I fall more and more in love with his writing and Invasive pushed that love to pure adoration. This story is truly brilliant, it's so intricate and spun together in a way
Skip
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
I am a fan of Wendig's Miriam Black series, but did not like the first book in this series. The second one had no real connection to the first, except science, but like Miriam Black, there was a strong female protagonist, Hannah Stander, an FBI consultant. Killer ants are developed, but by whom and for what purpose? Hannah herself is the product of survivalists, and is brought to a remote atoll in Hawaii, where she must match wits with hostile scientists and a billionaire. 3.5 stars.
Stephanie
Jan 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, thriller, sci-fi
"Invasive" is the second in Wendig's Zer0es trilogy(?). I really liked Zer0es and had hoped that this would bring that group of hacker misfits back for another adventure but that is not where this one takes us. Hollis Copper is back on duty with the FBI and there is a brief conversation with Wade, one of the Zer0es but we have a new Zer0e to meet.

Invasive introduces us to futurist Hannah Stander, contracted to the FBI to help with a strange case of murder. Agent Hollis Copper calls in Hannah to
Kate
Hugely entertaining and skin-creepingly chilly bug-invading thriller. Reminiscent in a good way of Crichton.

Zippergirl
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, edelweiss
Factoid of the Day, brought to you by Chuck Wendig, author of Invasive: "Earth is home to more than twelve thousand species of ants." Sadly, there are only four species of anteaters.

Remember Isla Sorna, the deserted island located off Central America, in the Jurassic Park sequel? Invasive is a little bit The Lost World and a lot The Island of Doctor Moreau. Hybridized ants run amok. "But then later there's running and screaming."

If you love bent billionaires and demented scientists, go for it.
Michael Hicks
Between Ezekiel Boones The Hatching (my review) and, now, Chuck Wendigs Invasive, this has been a pretty good summer for bug books! While the former concerned itself with the reemergence of an ancient spider species violently troubling mankind, Wending brings us a brand new strain of genetically modified ultra-violent ants.

Invasive opens with a brief definition of the word formication, which is a sensation that feels like insects crawling over or under your skin. This is a good word to know
Jason
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, read-2016
4 Stars

Invasive by Chuck Wendig is a fun creature feature that is the perfect beach read for you this summer. What could be better than a second book about bugs after having read and enjoyed, Ezekiel Boones The Hatching. I went into this book not realizing that it was part of a series called Zeroes. Well, I am pleased to say that it did not even matter. Any references to the first book were lost on me as standard world building.

"Its not impossible. Earth is home to more than twelve thousand
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
A while back I read The Colony by A.J Colucci. While I was entertained, I was less than impressed. and wondered if anyone else had taken on the same premise and done it better. Well, it took about 4 years, but Chuck Wendig proved himself up to the task with Invasive.

Ants are creepy, so its only natural to believe that genetically modified ants can be downright scary. And the ants in Invasive are definitely scary. There were certain scenes in this book where I thought fervently to myself that I
Giulio
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, nick-s-gifts

A scary read with a vague recollection of The Island of Dr. Moreau and Michael Crichton's books

The author's writing is brilliant and with nice dark humor bits
I enjoyed the focus on survivalism theories a lot and above all .. I am glad to know I was right fearing ants, those little sneaky rascals!

I need to arrange an INCH* bag asap

* (view spoiler)
Preeti
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: scifi
Ed Yong recommended this book through his Twitter so I had to check it out.

As many others have said, this is quite reminiscent of a Michael Crichton novel, though I would say lighter on the detailed (some would say boring, but not me) information that was characteristic of his books.

I found the premise fascinating but thought it was too fast-paced. Things happened and then other things happened so fast, things were resolved; to me it didn't read as realistic. I thought the main character was
Matthew
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Another creepy tale from Mr. Wendig that motors along at breakneck speed. I really enjoyed it. Full review to come.
Rose
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it
If youre planning to read this because its the sequel to Zeroes, be prepared to be disappointed. This has nothing to do with computer hackers. Nor is it as good a story.

This was more of a murder mystery/science/horror story based on genetic manipulation. It starts in the US where a body is found having had its skin removed. The trail quickly leads to the Hawaiian Islands and thats where our FBI consultant Hannah heads to...and this is my first problem with the story. She should have been an
Elizabeth
Jun 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I hate ants.

Every year, and it seems no matter what part of the country I live in, these evil creatures invade my home. They find every nook and every cranny and scurry looking for water or some little crumb to enjoy and bring back to their nest. They crawl over your skin with a slight tickle, and sometimes they bite you for the fun of it. Plus they smell an impossible to describe scent. Imagine putrid ammonia and lemon cleanser, and you have a general idea. They are everywhere, and there are
Cottageunderhill
Holy crazy cow, Batman. This book was crazy good. And that's besides the freaky ant drawings crawling all over the pages in the book. Nessa has formication: the sensation that ants or other insects are crawling on one's skin. Yeah. I haven't read a good science fiction Crichton-esk book since well, Crichton. And this is book 2! How did I miss reading book 1!?! So guess what, that is next on my reading list. Thanks Goodreads. I would tell you more about this book but that would ruin it. So read ...more
Alan
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More of a 3.5/5 star book. At times it's reminiscent of classic Michael Crichton, at other times it dives into cheezy b-movie action. An interesting take on man vs. nature and new creepy-crawly star, but the story just bogs down after page 200 and the ending doesn't get there soon enough. Enjoyable read, but could have been better.
Rachel Pollock
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is plausibly terrifying. I read it in two days, couldnt put it down. Genetically modified killer ants swarming a whole island is the stuff of nightmares. ...more
Rusty
Oct 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prose, thriller
I had a wedding to attend last weekend, well, weekend before last now. The missus asked me to pick out a book to listen to that we'd both enjoy. She really stressed the WE part of that statement.

I'll add that the wedding was in this teeny little place outside of Nashville and it was going to be a trip of several hours. Our GPS immediately decided we needed to get off the interstate and travel by means of back roads. The trip was scary as hell.

One, the wedding was on a Sunday, and during our 3
Harry Connolly
Sep 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Terrific. Wendig has a way with words, which is not to say that his writing is delicate and lovely, but that it's very inventive, specific and filled with vitality.

As high-tech thrillers go, this one centers on bio-tech: someone had genetically engineered an ant that swarms people and kills them. The book never cheats on the science and isn't afraid to go large-scale with the implications. It's fun. I suspect I would have enjoyed it more if I thought ants are creepy or whatever but I haven't
Amy
Josh
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was fortunate enough to get an advance proof of this book (thanks Tor!), and devoured it over the course of a couple days.

Set in the same world as his previous thriller Zer0es, with FBI agent Hollis Copper returning in a supporting role, this thriller could perhaps be summed up as Michael Crichton by way of GMO ants -- the Jurassic Park influence is obvious, and Wendig even lampshades it at one point -- but the underlying message and themes of Crichton's work are not the same as Wendig's.

Where
Tobin Elliott
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: hard-copy, fiction, sf
I'm really glad I only spent $5 for the book, as it was just a big ol' meh for me.

The writing is good from a technical standpoint, but I felt that Wendig failed to deliver on any really standout characters, or the horror of these ants (until the final act). The story just seemed to plod along to provide opportunities for red herrings, and ant explanations.

Toward the final act, it began to feel like some of those 70s novels about the killer . You know the ones I'm talking about. Killer bees.
Melissa Joulwan
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive been enjoying the hell out of this super-fun summer read. Its completely un-put-downable. A truly thrilling thriller, its got a badass female protagonistand plenty of other awesome female charactersas well as demon ants, spiders, potential conspiracies, flashbacks, dramatic weather, a coral atoll, and so much more.

Basically, its everything you want in a gripping read.

I was up for three hours in the middle of the night reading it this week, which is not great for actual resting, but was very
Damien Angelica Walters
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable, engaging Michael Crichton-esque thriller. A quick read that will leave your skin crawling!
ReadBecca
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library
A bizarre murder in a remote cabin leads to the involvement of the FBI, and by extension FBI consultant Hannah Stander, who seems to be mainly an all around problem solver with specialist STEM connections. the clues lead here on a curious journey into the world of cutting edge bio-engineering, and specifically genetic manipulation of insects, to a science mogul's private island lab compound near Kauai. On the island they are solving the problems of the future with bugs, but could one of the ...more
Cassandra Page
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read (ok, listened to the audiobook of) Invasive just after finishing Zer0es, because I wanted more. Not necessarily more of the hackers from the first story, but more of that weird parallel Earth with its almost sci-fi tech and its Hollywood-esque storytelling.

It's fortunate that I didn't go into Invasive expecting it to be about the hackers from the first book, because it wasn't (although Wade does get a brief cameo, and Agent Hollis is a secondary character). It was closer to single POV --
Wynne McLaughlin
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
A Michael Crichton-style technothriller as scary as The Andromeda Strain, Jurassic Park, or the film version of Jaws. In fact, it would make a terrific movie. Tightly-paced, smart, and pulse-pounding. Terrific plotting, twists, and characters, including an awesome bad-ass heroine. And as always with Wendig, current, relevant, and fearless. And also scary. Wicked scary. Terrifying even. Because swarms of genetically-modified, bloodthirsty, flesh-eating ants with a sting that induces instant ...more
Penny Ramirez
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf, thriller, horror
Wendig is a true master at giving the reader the extreme heebie-jeebies. My skin was crawling the entire time I read this book, and I had to keep putting it down because of the intensity! A great near future, almost apocalyptic thriller. Plus ants on the pages. Did I mention the ants on the pages? I got to the point where I would look to see if my fingers were touching the ants. Aaaaaaaah!

Sort of Crichton-like with the science aspects (think Jurassic Park on a teeny tiny scale), with some great
Buddy Scalera
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pretty-good
Solid, entertaining thriller with some unique twists on the present-day science thriller. Modern references make it seem current and urgent.

The Good
The author is a highly competent prose writer. There were sections that could have fallen flat, but the author managed to keep everything from dialogue to exposition moving briskly.

The science elements of the fiction seem plausible. They are positioned well enough to make most scenes feel organically entertaining.

The lead character is compelling

• Cold Storage
  • The Andromeda Evolution (Andromeda #2)
  • Salvaged
  • Hawksbill Station
  • Salvation Day
  • The Hatching (The Hatching #1)
  • Summer Frost
  • Kill Zone
  • Emergency Skin
  • Dead Moon (Threshold, #3)
  • Christmas Pudding and Pigeon Pie
  • The Last Astronaut
  • Skitter (The Hatching #2)
  • Väderfenomen
  • Vessel
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Seven Blades in Black (The Grave of Empires, #1)
  • They Came with the Snow Series (They Came with the Snow, #1-2)
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at

Zer0es (2 books)