Start by marking “Garden of Lamentations (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #17)” as Want to Read:
Garden of Lamentations (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #17)

Garden of Lamentations

(Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #17)

Scotland Yard detectives Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are drawn into separate investigations that hold disturbing—and deadly—complications for their own lives in this powerful mystery in the bestselling series.

On a beautiful morning in mid-May, the body of a young woman is found in one of Notting Hill’s private gardens. To passersby, the pretty girl in the white dress
Published February 7th 2017 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Garden of Lamentations, please sign up.
Katherine I don't agree with y'all! I think it is the best yet, I had to put it down at times, to process all the events and implications at that point in the…moreI don't agree with y'all! I think it is the best yet, I had to put it down at times, to process all the events and implications at that point in the story. I haven't read one of Ms. Crombie's books in a single sitting in a long time. They are too rich in content for me to rip through them, as I do with some other writers. However, no reader ever has the exact same experience as another. Mine is no better or worse than any of yours. It's just another point of view for a potential reader.(less)
Diana I have read all the books in order and I feel that it is best to do so. There are overlapping characters and plot lines.

Start your review of Garden of Lamentations (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James #17)
Diane S ☔
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lor
Like a visit to catch up with old friends, that is how I feel about the Kincaid and James series. Both detectives, married to each other, children, pets working out of different stations and not enough time in a day. Been there, done that but my commitments don't include solving a murder or dealing with corruption in the Met. Gemma becomes embroiled in Tue suspicious death of a young nanny, found in a communal though locked garden. Kincaid, takes off from the last book. Now transferred but still ...more
Maureen Carden
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love being in Duncan Gemma World. I've been along for the ride almost since the beginning. It's always sweet to see how the children have grown, what new pets they have acquired, and what their loyal friends have been up to.
This outing has been a bit different. Rare times with the children, and except for Mackenzie, almost no reference to their friends. This time two mysteries claim center stage and keep it. Gemma is investigating the murder of a young nanny found in one of London's private
Barbara
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it

In this 17th book in the 'Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James' series, the police detectives tackle separate cases. The book can be read as a standalone, but familiarity with the series is a plus.

*****

Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James are married and raising their blended family - three children, two kittens, and a dog - in a house in the suburbs. The detectives no longer work in the same police department and become involved in separate cases.

Gemma investigates
Jaclyn
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, edelweiss, mystery
Garden of Lamentations is the seventeenth book in Crombie's long-standing series. Fans of the series wont want to miss the latest books; however, as a fan, I will admit to feeling less excited about this addition to the series.

What I did like about Lamentations is that it brings readers back to characters that are familiar and propels the series forward with Duncan's investigation into potential corruption in the Scotland Yard. The previous book did touch upon this, but in Lamentations this is
Ellen
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Other than Louise Penny, Deborah Crombie is my favorite mystery writer. Her Gemma and Duncan Kincaid series continues to develop he personalities of the main characters as well as the supporting characters, including Doug, Melody, Hazel and more. Gemma gets involved in solving a murder, while Duncan appears preoccupied and secretive. His situation involves the danger involved with outing dirty cops involved in a series of murders. Great read!
Lobstergirl
Dec 14, 2017 rated it did not like it

A rancid melding of chick lit and police procedural, with endless children and cups of tea.
Rebecca
I am a huge Deborah Crombie fan and was thrilled to receive this paperback in a goodreads giveaway just as I was about to purchase it! Duncan Kinkaid and Gemma James’ 17th book in this series is a continuation of the disturbing police corruption and murder story laid out in To Dwell in Darkness. We jave the solution to so many of the puzzling actions and deaths in the prior book and, perhaps, the root of all that evil. As always, the atmospere is rendered in a way that takes me there- this time ...more
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

Pathologists are insatiably curious. That’s why we do it, most of us. Although maybe there are some who just like really bad smells and have no people skills.

Don’t say you don’t want to speak ill of the dead. The dead are dead and it won’t hurt them.

Lisa Su, Gemma decided, might have been pretty if not for what seemed a perpetually angry expression. Her eyes protruded slightly, as if pushed out from the pressure within.

My Review:

I was stunned when I noticed I was reading an
Kyla Zerbes
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not the best of these novels. Both detectives have separate cases going on and barely speak to one another throughout the whole novel, despite living in the same house. All I can say is that this really exemplifies what working women go through vs working men. Gemma is saddled with 90% of the child minding and chores while also having a FT job. That Duncan was trying to protect the family doesn't really make a great excuse and I found it hard to believe that the conspiracy was so all consuming ...more
Michele
Feb 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: series
I enjoyed this but I am really, really glad that (please, pretty please) we are done with Duncan and the corruption in the Met. If I remember correctly that story arc goes back two books and threatened to ruin this series for me. It just wasn't believable and took away from the real enjoyment here which is Duncan, Gemma, their kids, their families, Melody and Doug and a little mystery thrown in for good measure. I have my fingers crossed that Ms. Crombie will remember that for book #18.
Una Tiers
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
This goes to my could not finish. The start was a little confusing, then the pace picked up, but then it fell flat again. Not for me but others may enjoy.
Only partly read one time.
Barbara
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of moving parts in this novel and I was at a slight disadvantage as I hadn't read Kincaid and James #16. Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are police detectives in London. They have three children ranging in age from toddler to teen. They live in Notting Hill (somehow I missed how they came to live in this very upscale neighborhood on police salaries) which puts them in touch with the more privileged segment of England. A neighbor's nanny is found dead in one of the neighborhood's ...more
Cindy Rollins
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This is one of my favorite modern series of books. I love the characters, the storylines, and the way Deborah Crombie sprinkles London
road names and places throughout. I like to pause and look at a map while reading and there is usually a delightful one in the front of the book. Now that I have been to many of the streets of London mentioned I am even more delighted. This was a wonderful trip with old friends back to London.
Asheley
I started this series with Garden of Lamentations, which is the 17th installment. I was so nervous to do this, since I usually only start with the first book in the series, but I am really enjoying British mysteries and crime stories these days, so I figured why not? Ultimately I’m glad that I took this leap; I liked this one enough that I want to go back and start from the beginning.

Gemma and Kincaid obviously have an extensive history since this series is named after the both of them: the
Mal Warwick
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Let me see if I’ve got this straight. There are lots of cops in Deborah Crombie’s latest detective novel, Garden of Lamentations. Six of them, for starters. Co-protagonists Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James are married. They’ve been reassigned from New Scotland Yard to separate precincts elsewhere in London. The pair have an adopted teenage boy, a 3-year-old foster daughter, and an even younger boy of their own. In addition to Kincaid and James, there ...more
Apr 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook and it was a truly fabulous experience, well paced and exquisitely narrated, as usual, by Gerard Doyle. For me, the best thing about a really good book, in print or audio format, is when you can actually picture the scenes unfold in your mind's eye. And this happens to me a lot when I'm reading or re-reading this series.

For anyone who hasn't followed Gemma James, Duncan Kincaid and their family and friends from the start, be warned: this is not really a standalone
Kim
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Tough review to write. I used to love this series and Duncan (Kincaid) and Gemma were some of my favorite fictional characters. Ever since they got more and more kids added to their plate... the stories have suffered.

This latest story shows the rift between Kincaid and Gemma growing larger due to their home life and workloads but luckily in the end things work out ok for them. What were we expecting? Crombie would never split these two up.

In my opinion the story would have been better without
Lynn
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Garden of Lamentations is the 17th book in the Duncan Kincaid/Gemma James series. That's quite an accomplishment. The two are married police officers posted to different stations. There is a continuation of a story line from the previous outing which involves Duncan becoming increasingly suspicious of police corruption. Gemma is investigating the murder of a nanny in a posh part of London. I enjoyed this book although the police corruption angle is not my favourite plot thread. This is a solid ...more
Patty
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Garden Of Lamentations
By
Deborah Crombie

This book is in a series that I have read and loved for years. It involves Kincaid and Gemma and all of their children and animals! It's a mixed family that only grows closer and closer the longer they are together. Gemma has her own forensic issues to solve...a murder of a young nanny...while Kincaid is working on finding rotten apples in the department. The book is intense and really good. Readers who love this kind of book should love this one!

They are
Claude
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It may look like it took me forever to read this book, but it is only because I added almost a month ago and then read it or rather listened to it in two days when I actually started listening. I might consider reading the whole series again, as I have enjoyed those books so much. First I rated it four stars and for the sheer pleasure this book gave me, I added the fifth star.
I just wish it didn't take Ms Crombie such a long time to write her next novel. I do hope this wasn't the last one in
Cynthia Sillitoe
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was so frustrated with this one, that I went back and reread from Necessary as Blood, and that helped because I could remember all the connections. I thought the main mystery was excellent and the weakness in this book was that Duncan and Gemma are on such separate paths. Also, I worry that Deborah Crombie will do an Elizabeth George and retire main characters to focus on new ones like Melody, Doug, and Jasmine Sidana. I like all three, but I read this series for Duncan and Gemma.
Michele Bond
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Deborah Crombie never disappoints! Great to see her carry story lines over more than one book.
Niki
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
this one is worth 4 stars given the excellent two enquiries that were made = the one for gemma james about a young woman's murder (I decided on the culprit from the start and i was right) - the other is a follow-up on the previous book, about some shady people at the Met and the obvious danger Kincaid and his family and friends might be in, but duncan kincaid is not a man turning is back on danger - something was definitely rotten in the Met, and kincaid wanted to go to the bottom of this
Audrey
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
I would have enjoyed the book a lot more if there weren't so many racist undertones running throughout the book. Which is ironic since a main flashback was from a true incident that occurred in 1993, where a young black man was murdered during a racially motivated attack.

What Crombie does extremely well is depicting Duncan and Gemma's relationship and how it evolved. These two, in the past, have worked well together, both personally and professionally. And, Crombie shows, that even the strongest
Carol Jean
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, as usual, and very plotty. It's me, I know (boy am I cranky this morning!), but I barely remember how a book BEGAN by the time I reach the end, so one that depends on my remembering incidents and characters from a previous installment in the series is doomed from the start. Still, an enjoyable and engaging story.
Barb in Maryland
Mar 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars for the latest in this long-running series.
Gemma has the actual mysterious death in this book, while Duncan is still involved in the continuing inquiry (several books long now) into murderous doings in the upper ranks.
Gemma's case involves the death of a young woman, whose body is found in an upscale communal garden (access limited to the surrounding houses). Gemma is not the officer assigned to the case, but gets roped in because the young woman's employer is a friend of a friend. The
Luanne Ollivier
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I'm a big fan of Deborah Crombie's series that features Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James. The latest (#17) is Garden of Lamentations.

Now both working for Scotland Yard, Gemma and Duncan have two puzzling - and disturbing - cases on their hands. Gemma is after the murderer of a young woman found in a private London garden. And Duncan believes that there's a traitor in the ranks - especially after a former mentor is attacked. This thread has been present in the last few books - and comes to a head
Viccy
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Duncan Kincaid and Gemma James are at odds with each other. Gemma has been seconded to a murder investigation of a young woman who was the nanny for someone she knew; Duncan's friend and former boss, Denis Childs, has been attacked and left for dead and no one knows why. And, Duncan's father has had a heart attack, so he has to hurry to Norwich, leaving Gemma to take the heat at home in Notting Hill. Gemma pursues the murder investigation and uncovers a woman who will stop at nothing to get her ...more
Theresa
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
I had read a couple of Deborah Crombie's mysteries before and liked them, so I picked up this one from the 'new books' shelf at our local library.

A parallel mystery, Duncan Kincaid is caught up in trying to solve an unexplained death from the past that he suspects implicates one or more of his own co-workers. At the same time, his wife Gemma is investigating the mysterious death of a young woman found in one of London's neighborhood gardens. This mystery novel follows both Duncan and Gemma's
First Time Crombie Readers. 1 12 Jan 01, 2017 09:15AM

• A Better Man (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #15)
  • The Long Call (Two Rivers, #1)
  • Kingdom of the Blind (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #14)
  • The Fethering Mysteries Collection: The Torso In The Town, Death On The Downs, The Body On The Beach
  • The Punishment She Deserves (Inspector Lynley #20)
  • Gingerbread Cookies and Gunshots (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #16.5)
  • The Dangers of Gingerbread Cookies
  • The Stone Circle (Ruth Galloway, #11)
  • The Black Ascot (Inspector Ian Rutledge #21)
  • The American Agent (Maisie Dobbs, #15)
  • Wild Fire (Shetland Island, #8)
  • Glass Houses (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #13)
  • Racing the Devil (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #19)
  • The Gate Keeper (Inspector Ian Rutledge #20)
  • The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3)
  • The Chalk Pit (Ruth Galloway, #9)
  • The Dark Angel (Ruth Galloway, #10)
  • One Lost Soul (Hidden Norfolk Murder Mystery #1)
Deborah Crombie is the author of 17 novels featuring Scotland Yard Detective Superintendent Duncan Kincaid and Detective Inspector Gemma James. The 18th Kincaid/James novel, A BITTER FEAST, will be released by William Morrow in October, 2019.

Crombie lives in McKinney, Texas with her husband, two German Shepherd Dogs, and two cats. She travels to Britain frequently to research her books.

Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Share in Death (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #1)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • Leave the Grave Green (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #3)
  • Mourn Not Your Dead (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #4)
  • Dreaming of the Bones (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #5)
  • Kissed a Sad Goodbye (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #6)
  • A Finer End (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #7)
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Now May You Weep (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #9)
  • In a Dark House (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #10)