Start by marking “Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)” as Want to Read:
Closed Casket (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #2)

Closed Casket

(New Hercule Poirot Mysteries #2)

3.51  ·  Rating details ·  7,120 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews
"What I intend to say to you will come as a shock..."

With these words, Lady Athelinda Playford -- one of the world's most beloved children's authors -- springs a surprise on the lawyer entrusted with her will. As guests arrive for a party at her Irish mansion, Lady Playford has decided to cut off her two children without a penny . . . and leave her vast fortune to someone
Published September 6th 2016 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about Closed Casket, please sign up.
Mark Pearce I agree that Closed Casket is much better than the previous one. It is as if Hannah is becoming comfortable with the character and taking on the…moreI agree that Closed Casket is much better than the previous one. It is as if Hannah is becoming comfortable with the character and taking on the mantle of writing about him. A thoroughly ingenious story helps to make this a really good read.(less)

·  7,120 ratings  ·  1,093 reviews

Paromjit
Feb 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This is the second book that Sophie Hannah has written with Poirot since she took up the Agatha Christie mantle. Whilst I had enjoyed Monogram Murders, this was a harder sell for me. The story is narrated by Inspector Edward Catchpool of Scotland Yard. For no reason that he can fathom, he has been invited to Clonakilty, County Cork in Ireland. He is to be a house guest at Lillieoak, a mansion owned by Lady Playford, a writer of the Shrimp series. He harbours some resentment of Poirot after the m ...more
Pamela
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
Dame Agatha is rolling in her grave.
Julie
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Closed Casket by Sophie Hannah/ Agatha Christie is a 2016 William Morrow publication.

Lady Athelinda Playford gathers an eclectic group of people together when she decides to announce a major change to her will, a very controversial decision that could bring about terrible repercussions.

Inspector Edward Catchpool and the incomparable Hercule Poirot, may have been invited due to Playford’s suspicions that murder is on someone’s mind. However, a murder is committed right under the famous Belgian
Kortessa
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
This was quite a good attempt to continue Agatha Christie's legacy. It is a decent book and interesting reading. It can bring you into the world and psyche of Hercule Poirot. I would say it is a typican whodunit plot, intriguing with suspence. It carries the characteristics that we find in Poirot. By that, I mean that someone not knowing the famous Belgian detective would easily get the grab of him in this book.
On the othe hand though, if this was my first Poirot mystery I wouldn't be so trigger
Aditi
“Everyone is a potential murderer-in everyone there arises from time to time the wish to kill-though not the will to kill.”

----Agatha Christie

Hercule Poirot is back again with another new adventure and mystery in Sophie Hannah, an internationally bestselling writer's new book, Closed Casket where the Belgian detective Poirot along with the help of Scotland Yard inspector, Edward Catchpool, solve the mystery surrounding an old rich, aristocrat lady's lavish party at a forgotten Irish countrysi
Ivonne Rovira
Buying Closed Casket was the triumph of hope over experience. In 2014 author Sophie Hannah released The Monogram Murders, the first Hercule Poirot novel since Curtain: Poirot's Last Case: A Hercule Poirot Mystery was published in 1975. While not up to Dame Agatha Christie’s highest standards, Hannah’s novel wasn’t too shabby. So I bought Closed Casket hoping for better than a pleasant read and for something less convoluted and implausible than The Monogram Murders.

Was my hope justified? Not a ch
Ova - Excuse My Reading
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
What's better than Belgian chocolate? Obviously our Belgian detective and his grey cells.

Incredibly happy that Poirot is back in literary world. This time, Hannah takes us to a country house- one of my favourite Agatha Christie settings. It's really devilish-ly clever this book, I didn't see the end coming at all. Can't wait for the next one in series!!!
Angela Zakreski
Sep 10, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This Dame is no Agatha Christie

Started this book snuggled up with a cup of tea by my side and smile on my face for a 'new' Poirot adventure to begin.
What a MAJOR disappointment it was.
Her narrator, Catchpool, seemed to be her 'Hastings' but was to also be a capable police detective with a promising career. Obviously this didn't work - love Hastings but lovable bumbling is more his mode than sharp detective skills - and this character did not work. Actually all of the characters seemed to be on
Maria Bikaki
Κλειστό φέρετρο η νέα προσπάθεια της συγγραφέως να επαναφέρει τον αγαπημένο ήρωα Ηρακλή Πουαρό. Σε αντίθεση με το έγκλημα με υπογραφή που δεν είχε καταφέρει να με συγκινήσει θεωρώ ότι το κλειστό φέρετρο έχει περισσότερες αρετές σαν βιβλίο και η συγγραφέας του καταφέρνει να σταθεί περισσότερο επάξια στη βαριά κληρονομιά που άφησε πίσω της η Άγκαθα Κρίστι με έναν ήρωα όπως είναι ο Ηρακλής Πουαρό δημιουργώντας αυτή τη φορά ένα αρκετά ενδιαφέρον βιβλίο μυστηρίου με γρήγορο ρυθμό και συνοχή. Το κακό ...more
Joanna
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Poirot in 1929 - the heyday, nee the Golden Age of murder and Christie. Ths was great. Lots of fun if a bit brutal and not as adoring to Hercule as Christie would have made it. She still liked him in the early days.
Angela DeSilva
Won in Goodreads giveaway!
Chrissa Vasileiou
3,5/5 αστεράκια.

Η κριτική μου για το βιβλίο στο site "Book City" και τον παρακάτω σύνδεσμο: Κλειστό φέρετρο
Em*bedded-in-books*
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime mystery fans
Agatha Christie is my favorite yesteryear cozy mystery author. Sophie Hannah is one of my favorite current psychological mystery authors. So when Sophie Hannah started giving a new life to Hercule Poirot, I was excited.
Monogram murders, the first of this revamped Poirot series was well appreciated by me, though many found it lacking.
Closed Casket was in my radar, the day I saw it on GR, and when I received it as a gift, I was over the moon.
This seems like an amalgam of Christie and Hannah, but
Scott
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I received this book courtesy of a Goodreads giveaway. Closed Casket has most of the mystery cliches:

1. Like "Clue", all of the suspects staying in the same house and sorting out who was where during the murder; I halfway expected to read about Colonel Mustard and a pipe wrench.

2. A semi-clueless sidekick in Catchpool

3. A moron serving as the lead homicide detective

4. Poirot's big reveal at the end with all of the suspects gathered in one room

5. Confession by the suspect once truth is revealed
Lyn Elliott
Dec 26, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Sophie Hannah must have had great fun writing this new Poirot mystery. The immaculate Belgian detective is drawn impeccably, surrounded by an outrageous cast of mostly unpleasant people in a wildly improbable version of the English country house murder.

It was an entertaining, stylish, escapist read, 3.5 rather than a flat 3.

I was a bit startled to see that copyright rests with Agatha Christie Limited, and hope Hannah's contract pays her well for what should be a successful book. Clearly the com
Paul
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Closed Casket – Hercule Poirot Returns

Sophie Hannah has risen to the challenge to become the voice and mind of Hercule Poirot and mimic everything that the Grand Dame of Crime Fiction created. Hannah has picked up where Agatha Christie left off and it is impossible to notice that Poirot came to life over 100 years before, this is a seamless addition to the Christie canon.

Hercule Poirot has been invited over to the newly independent Ireland, as the guest of aristocratic author Lady Playford to he
Dichotomy Girl
Jul 27, 2016 marked it as to-read-maybe  ·  review of another edition
So I read an article recently about why, the estates of famous writers, tend to suddenly allow a "new" book to come out so many years after the originals. It's all about copyright. See, the copyright on some of Christie's earlier books are soon to expire. However, if they commission a new book, they can retain the copyright to the characters.

I have very mixed feelings about this, especially when I think about all the awesome things that wouldn't exist if the copyright hadn't expired. Like Sherl
Jan
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I received "Closed Casket" through a Goodreads Giveaway and am now meeting my responsibility to write a review.

Author Sophie Hannah clearly idolizes the great Agatha Christie; in fact, she has an index in the book that lists all of Christie's books and plays. She clearly intends to honor Christie in this novel. She brings life to Hercule Poirot in the story, and does him justice. I always pictured Poirot in this book as the one played by David Suchet on PBS Mystery.

However, Hannah uses another c
Stella kaltsogianni
Είχα αρχίσει να πιστεύω πως δε θα τελείωνε ποτέ....και τώρα που ευτυχώς τελείωσε ορκίζομαι να ειπώ την αλήθεια και μόνο την αλήθεια χωρίς φόβο και πάθος!!!
Για το θεό!!Πόσο τραγικό βιβλίο???Ήταν τόσο μα τόσο βαρετό που ακόμα κι αν δε κατάφερα να ανακαλύψω τη λύση του μυστηρίου(η οποία ήταν μια μ.... και μισή), δε με ένοιαζε να τη μάθω.Πως το κατάφερε αυτό αναρωτιέμαι ακόμα...Και θα μου πεις γιατί δε το παρατούσες? ΕΛΑ ΜΟΥ ΝΤΕ!ΨΥΧΑΝΑΓΚΑΣΜΟΣ.
Καταρχάς την υπόθεση εξιστορεί ο Έντουαρντ Κάτσπουλ που ε
Deborah
I need to confess that I had no idea Sophie Hannah had revitalised Agatha Christie’s famous Belgian detective and his little grey cells until this book appeared on a listing. It was only then I discovered Hannah had previously released The Monogram Murders, featuring Hercule Poirot, in 2014 – almost 40 years after the passing of Dame Agatha.

I should mention here that I adore Agatha Christie. I’ve read all of her books a million times. At least.

Lovers of the original will notice there are some s
Caidyn (SEMI-HIATUS; BW Reviews; he/him/his)
Given that I have no memory of anything from The Monogram Murders, I can't make any comparisons to it. Besides that it didn't really feel like a Poirot mystery. Since I don't even remember the murder, I can't tell you why. That's just how it felt to me.

However, I can honestly say, this felt like a genuine Poirot mystery. I could hear his voice in my head. I could see the mystery exactly. It just felt authentic to me, and, when you're writing any sort of pastiche, that's key. You have to capture
Farissa Nuri
Sophie Hannah bukanlah Agatha Christie. Jadi tentunya pasti ada perbedaan gaya tulisan di antara mereka. Karena itu saya tidak berharap terlalu tinggi dan meminta banyak bahwa buku ini akan sama persis seperti tulisan Agatha Christie.

Sempat sedikit kecewa dengan The Monogram Murders. Tapi saya senang karena buku ini lebih baik dari The Monogram Murders. Poirot lebih seperti Poirot di buku ini. Dan saya tidak kesulitan membaca narasinya seperti yang saya rasakan pada bab-bab awal The Monogram Mu
Johnny(My Realm Of Books)
Ενα πολυ ευχαριστο βιβλιο με πολυ γρηγορο ρυθμο και ωραιες περιγραφες! Το μονο αρνητικο ειναι οτι παρα το γεγονος οτι το μυστηριο του φονου εξηγειται επαρκεστατα , τα κινητρα και τα αιτια που οδηγησαν τον/την δολοφονο στο εγκλημα δεν μου φανηκαν ιδιαιτερα αληθοφανη! Το προτεινω ομως ανεπιφυλακτα σε οσους θελουν να διαβασουν μια καινουρια ιστορια του αγαπημενου μας Βελγου ντεντεκτιβ!
Margaret
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
Surly better than the "monogram" but in the exact same way flat and pointless! The first half is well developed but then again to create a mystery is easier than to give satisfying answers to it!
Mandy White
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
Love a good whodunnit with Poirot. A fun listen and great story. I really should go back and read some of the older Christie books....one day!!
Lisa
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I would not have intentionally selected this book as I still have many Agatha books to read and would rather read the real thing...
...but my fab brother bought it for me for Christmas knowing I love Poirot and probably didn't realise it was written by somebody else (check out the cover!).

I liked it - the story was a bit odd and a little stilted in places but I still enjoyed the mystery and the rambunctious and frankly rude characters were amusing.
Poirot was not quite himself! But it didn't spoil
Astrid Lim
Not as bad as the first book - I think Sophie Hannah has already had some better grasps on how to write a Poirot story. True, there are some parts that are still meh and so unPoirot. Also, the way the mystery unraveled is also still a bit stiff, not flowing smoothly in my opinion. And I don't understand why Hannah still insisted on using Catchpool as her narrator - he is definitely a weaker version of Hastings haha. I wish she could just write the story in a third person point of view, with Poir ...more
Helena
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
More like 4,3 or something, to be honest. I can't give it a solid 5 because the ending wasn't all that shocking, you could have guessed it were you alert enough. However, a 4 is also unjust because I had such a great time reading this book! I enjoyed the characters and the whole atmosphere immensely! I really did feel like I was inside a good old Poirot novel and it was exhilarating! I can't wait to get my hands on the next one and I'm really very grateful to Sophie Hannah for this experience.
Netta
Jun 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
אגתה כריסטי יש רק אחת.
  • Witch Water (Witch Saga, #2)
  • Macbeth
  • Seeking the Dead (Joe Plantagenet, #1)
  • Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly (Hercule Poirot, #45.7)
  • Unicorn Crossing (Phoebe and Her Unicorn, #5)
  • Like Never and Always
  • Penance
  • Pirate Princess
  • Two for Sorrow (Josephine Tey, #3)
  • A Purely Private Matter (Rosalind Thorne Mysteries, #2)
  • Bright Young Dead (The Mitford Murders #2)
  • Johannes Cabal and the Blustery Day: And Other Tales of the Necromancer (Johannes Cabal, #4.6)
  • The Bloody Tower (Daisy Dalrymple #16)
  • The Norton Sampler: Short Essays for Composition
  • Tyrant: Shakespeare on Politics
  • The Classic Fairy Tales
  • The Beauty of Murder
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Short Fiction
Sophie Hannah is an internationally bestselling writer of psychological crime fiction, published in 27 countries. In 2013, her latest novel, The Carrier, won the Crime Thriller of the Year Award at the Specsavers National Book Awards. Two of Sophie’s crime novels, The Point of Rescue and The Other Half Lives, have been adapted for television and appeared on ITV1 under the series title Case Sensiti ...more

New Hercule Poirot Mysteries (3 books)
  • The Monogram Murders (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #1)
  • The Mystery of Three Quarters (New Hercule Poirot Mysteries, #3)
“Als je eenmaal hebt geaccepteerd dat niemand je ooit zal begrijpen en je hebt dat overweldigende gevoel van eenzaamheid overwonnen, dan heeft het wel iets prettigs, eerlijk gezegd. Jij bent de enige deskundige in je eigen kleine wereldje, en je kunt doen waar je zin in hebt.” 1 likes
“Good sense appears the most underhand of tactics to a man who has no reserves of his own to draw upon.” 1 likes