Start by marking “Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone, #1)

Rag and Bone (Rag and Bone #1)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,229 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
It’s amazing what people throw away…

Crispin Tredarloe never meant to become a warlock. Freed from his treacherous master, he’s learning how to use his magical powers the right way. But it’s brutally hard work. Not everyone believes he’s a reformed character, and the strain is putting unbearable pressure on his secret relationship with waste-man Ned Hall.

Ned’s sick of magic
Published March 1st 2016 by Samhain Publishing, Ltd.

To ask other readers questions about Rag and Bone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rag and Bone

Julio Genao
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: loved
this book is like all my...

description

and it is has happened.

to my body.

twice, now.

___________

previously:

oh, hellfuckyes.

just... just take my credit card, do whatever, IDEC

i just

i must possess the pretty
K.J. Charles
Oct 15, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
A new novel featuring Crispin Tredarloe and Ned Hall, who first appeared in 'A Queer Trade', my story in the Charmed and Dangerous: Ten Tales of Gay Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy anthology.

Ned's a waste-man, who buys and sells used paper. Crispin is a supposedly reformed warlock who's having trouble going straight. Neither of them is at all equipped to deal with magical mayhem, necromancy or spontaneous combustion. Unfortunately, somebody's got to...

This story is set in the Charm of Magp
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
K.J. Charles does it again with another fabulous, exciting, endlessly entertaining story. I know I can always count on her to deliver when I need her most!

I wholeheartedly recommend this book with a few minor caveats. First of all, I think all prospective readers of this story should start with A Queer Trade, the prequel novella. I think it gives background information that is really necessary to understand the main characters and the dynamic of the relationship between Crispin and Ned. Secondl
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
~3.75~

I have not read A Queer Trade, the prequel to this story. Perhaps if I had, I would have been more engaged with these characters.

The writing is brilliant: just on this side of cheeky and sprinkled with sly humour. Plus, I never get tired of visiting with the short but terrifying Stephen Day.

This story seems to overlap with Flight of Magpies and Jackdaw. Jenny Saint has been attacked; Stephen has announced his departure from the justiciary and is wearing Crane's ring; Jonah Pastern is at
Ingela
Review written March 21, 2016

3.8 Stars - A good new KJC mystery set in a place I like and want to visit soon again

I read the short prequel #0.5 - A Queer Trade (3.7 stars) just some weeks ago and truly enjoyed as always when from K.J. Charles's remarkable pen.

The novella was a first sneak peek to this new historical para-mystery series called "Rag & Bone". Books in the impressive fabulous world of A Charm of Magpies. Just read them all. (Why? (view spoiler)
Vanessa North
A tremendously good book by probably the best writer in M/M fiction today. It was sweet, tender, funny, scary, and at times pretty fucking gross--everything I expect from books set in the Charm of Magpies world. An absolute delight.
Optimist ♰King's Wench♰ & MANTIES Champion
"Oh my days..."

This story should've been named Sweetness and Light. I feel like I tasted a rainbow after reading Nespin's story. No Skittles required!

photo giphy_zpscva5oxed.gif

I even thought their fighting was cute! I found myself smiling almost the entire time. KJC does a marvelous job of showing both sides of the proverbial coin and making me like both characters equally. Her skills in fleshing out characters quickly is unparalleled so much so that I knew even when they quarreled that they loved each other to pieces e
Sofia
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

With Ned and Crispin we just follow another thread in the Magpieverse which Ms Charles is weaving like a truly mad (as in genius madness) and capable weaver. A worthy installment.

Great compact story and great relationship building within the 'greater' story we've already read, so we see how Ned and Cripsin fit in and how they see the rest. Same world, different people, different perspectives, different words.
"Funny, really. A man could write a thing and even if he didn't have Crispin's powers
Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder*

"I write the world as I want it to be. I write, and it is."

I loved K.J. Charle's Magpie trilogy and the introduction into that magic-focused Historical society. As a fan of course I'm happy she's continued in that world, despite ending the trilogy with Lucien and Stephen Day. They have remained my favorites, but it was fun to run into Ben and Jonah's tense situation in Jackdaw and now two new characters in 'Rag and Bone.'

The story touches the others since Stephen Day is in this one a decent amo
Dαɴιjα

Books written by the very talented KJ Charles are the ones I look forward to reading the most these days, and each one proves Ms. Charles's place on my favorite authors list is well deserved.

It was the Charm of Magpies series that made a fan out of me, so any new story from that world is more than welcome. Crane & Stephen's books remain my favorites, and I don't see that changing in the future, but I am loving reading about all these other characters from that world.

Ned and Crispin were intr
Ami
Graphomancer Crispin Tredarloe and waste-man Ned Hall first appeared in a short story A Queer Trade (sold separately for $0.99 now). I am not sure whether reading that first is necessary but maybe it will give readers insights of how Crispin and Ned met for the first time. It might also makes readers understand why Ned really doesn't like magic.

Unfortunately, because I've also read that one, I was a bit annoyed with how the story dragged for the first half. Crispin and Ned argued about Crispin w
Alisa
I'm at a place where I don't really know what to say in reviews of this author's books. It's just a bunch of fan girling and a bunch of "Omg...this author's books are so good". This book was no exception. Another well written, engaging, smart characterization and interesting plot.

If you haven't read the prequel/novella A Queer Tradeyou should do that first. I started this without reading it and while I could follow the plot fine I felt I was missing something between Ned and Crispin. I stopped t
Kaje Harper
I love the world KJ Charles has created - the characters, the magic lightly touching a recognizable historical setting, the tensions between the dual worlds of the mundane citizens and practitioners. This one follows the short story A Queer Trade and should be read in order. (If you read The Magpie Lord series first too, you will have a much better grounding on the set-up and be properly pleased and amused when old friends make a guest appearance.)

Both main characters here are interesting and th
Erika
Oct 18, 2015 rated it liked it

I was all set to fall in love with Rag and Bone, seeing as K.J. Charles is one of my absolute favorite M/M authors (and I don't even particularly like historicals... Go figure) but I ended up "just" liking it instead. Why? I don't know!

It had all the trappings of a great K.J. paranormal story:

- a slight figured protagonist with magic in his veins (Crispin)? Check!
- said protagonist is extra powerful magically but is a bit down on himself? Check!
- a physically powerful, much taller and
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Well, this was loads of fun. And emotional. And sweet. And sexy hot. And we get some Stephen Day as a delish side dish.

This has many of the ingredients - magic, creepies, gore-lite, organic dialogue, etc - of the other stories in this 'verse, but they're arranged in a unique way that fit for Crispin and Ned's story. Which, by the way, is nowhere near over, both in my imagination and in real possibility, given the ending. Which, by the way, is brilliant.

Maybe I've just read several of them lately
Mónica BQ
It seems exaggerated to give this book 5 stars, but the thing is that even with all its imperfections, the book was magnificent. Charles' writing is something else.

But first, I do have to enlist a few caveats to loving this novel. It is my belief that there's not much anyone is going to understand, and thus, enjoy of this book if you haven't previously read The Magpie Lord series. There's little to none explanation or world building done in this story because it presupposes (a lot) that you alre
Adam
Another winner by KJ Charles, and an excellent addition to the Charm of Magpies universe.

When I first came across warlock Crispin Tredarloe and waste-man Ned Hall in Charles' short A Queer Trade, I was very impressed. Not only was it a worthy extension to the Charm of Magpies series, one of my favourites, with an entertaining plot and sweet romance, but it also featured an MC of colour in a historical setting. That's a rarity in MF historical romance, let alone MM. I thought that the author wrot
Maya
Oct 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Me too, mate.” Ned met Crispin’s eyes, knowing he’d understand what was being said. “Me too.”
“So much,” Crispin responded, a real smile dawning, and if they couldn’t kiss here in this stupid poncy hall, well, that was the next best thing.

What a romantic and tender love story! The ways Ned and Crispin complemented each other, how they both helped to build the insecurities of the other into self-confidence, how each of them recognized what the other needed – all of that was simply wonderful to
Loederkoningin
Nov 05, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: kj-charles, m-m, fantasy, pnr
Obviously there's no beating Lord Crane, but these cover models aren't too shabby! *little hearts in eyes*
Chelsea
I don't think it's possible for me to give a KJ Charles book anything under 4 stars. Her writing is superb and her characters are complex and loveable. That was all prevalent in this story, that being said I liked this the least out of all her other books.

I found Crispin and Ned lacked alot of steam and connection. That could come down to them already being established, but I don't think it was that... Just that. This felt more liked a mystery driven book rather than a romance driven one. Althou
Pjm12
I enjoy all the books I read by K J Charles. They all attempt to do something different with their main characters, and the dynamic between each pair moves away from tropes, and tries to be authentic. That's impressive, given the number of books she produces.

Ned and Crispin have been together for about 6 months. There are tensions, mainly due to Crispin's magical abilities, not surprisingly, given the terrible danger and death that happened when they first met (recounted in A Queer Trade). Ned i
Tess
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it

I was so excited to read this because, well, it is KJ Charles but also because it's set in the regency period yet neither of the MCs are well-off or aristocratic and one isn't white. Have often do you see this??!

This is set in the Charm of Magpies world and I'm going to confess that this isn't always my favourite KJ Charles world because, for me at least, there's a little too much focus on the practitioners/magic stuff and not enough focus on the romance. I really felt that in this on
Karen Wellsbury
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lovely, I'm dithering between 4 and 4.5 really, and the more I think of it, the more it's 4.5.

Because something is easy to read, and not flashy sometimes you don't appreciate how well it is written , and how much accuracy there is in the London landscape, this isn't one of those times.

More here http://wp.me/p6pXMr-4D

Highly recommended
Elisabeth Lane
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Set in the paranormal Victorian world of KJ Charles’ Charm of Magpies series, Rag & Bone is the follow-up novel to A Queer Trade, a novella that appeared in the Charmed & Dangerous anthology last year. In A Queer Trade, we were introduced to Ned, a working class man who buys used paper in bulk and resells it for things like wrapping food, and Crispin, a magic practitioner who casts spells by writing on paper with a special pen that uses his blood. It’s not an entirely respectable form of ...more
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
I wish that I’d read the prequel before this, as I felt a little thrown into it all and wondering who these people were and why I should care. They certainly grew on me, as the rating will certainly attest, but I’d have rather that A Queer Trade was included with Rag and Bone when you bought it.

Anyways, onto an actual review of sorts. I loved the characters of Ned and Crispin and thought they balanced each other fantastically. I also love how Crispin had to go on this journey of self-discovery i
Katie
I'm sitting here trying to think of new words because it seems that with every K.J. Charles book I read and review my level of praise increases. So much so, that I think I've nearly run out of ways to say how fabulous and amazing she and her stories are.

Or else I'm suddenly self-conscious about sounding like a raving fangirl lunatic.

Ha! I can emphatically say that no, no I'm not.

K.J. Charles and her stories are at the top of the heap, the best of the best. No doubt. The crafting is superb. The w
Anwen Ross
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I adored this! Crispin and Ned are the sweetest couple, and I loved the magic, the historical London, and pretty much everything about it. Couldn't put it down and I know it will be a reread.

I had read the prequel short story A Queer Trade and reread it right before reading this to remind me, but I don't think you would have to, because the author does give the backstory of how they first met here. They are especially sweet when they first meet, however, so I recommend that one too.

I haven't rea
M'rella
This is not a review, this is just my thoughts about the what'sgoingons:

The horror! =:o ...... I mean, the horror is not my thing :/

Poor Crispin seems to be trapped in the same pattern of a relationship with his tutors. Another kind and understanding master? The message is loud and clear and too predictable.
Caz
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

Review to follow.
Tamika♥RBF MOOD♥

Review @ Oh My Shelves

Once again K.J. Charles takes us into this fun world of Magic & Mayhem with a side of romance. This book continued on from the short that was released a month ago. Ned & Crispin are becoming more and more chummy with one another. Crispin is trying to work on his magic for the greater good. Crispin is trying to do better, and learn the right way to work his magic. Once again his is partnered with someone doing more bad then good. I really like that this is in the sam
The Backlot Gay B...: KJ Charles, Rag and Bone 3 17 Apr 18, 2016 01:18AM
  • Maelstrom (Whyborne & Griffin, #7)
  • Charmed and Dangerous
  • Enlightened (Enlightenment, #3)
  • Another Place in Time
  • Heat Trap (The Plumber’s Mate, #3)
  • The Devil Lancer
  • Death by Silver (Julian Lynes and Ned Mathey, #1)
I'm a writer of romance, mostly m/m, often historical or fantasy or both.

I'm also a freelance editor, and I blog about writing and editing at kjcharleswriter.com.

I live in London, UK, with husband, two kids, and a cat of absolute night.

Follow me on Twitter @kj_charles or friend me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/kj.charles.9
More about K.J. Charles

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Marked (Servants of Fate, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Into the Drowning Deep (Rolling in the Deep, #1)
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
  • Rama II (Rama, #2)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rama Revealed (Rama, #4)
“because he wanted to matter more than magic.” 1 likes