Start by marking “Memories (Continue Online, #1)” as Want to Read:
Memories (Continue Online, #1)

Memories

(Continue Online #1)

ASIN moved to this edition

Grant Legate had a good life. Eventually, Murphy’s Law kicked him in the teeth. Just once was enough to set him back for almost three years. He lost his fiancee, was fired from his prior job, and is only now stable enough to stand on his own two feet. Meanwhile the rest of the world moved on, growing enamored of a virtual reality game that allowe
Published October 14th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Memories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Memories

Sinisa Mikasinovic
After all was said and done, this book left me wondering for a good hour more.

It described such an unusually deep and complex world, yet touched only a small part of it. There is so much more to see, to do and experience...

Right now I'm having one of those 'next episode' cravings. It's never fun when an episode of your favorite TV show is over and you need to wait for a week to get the next fix. Theoretically, I suppose I could go and get the sequel now, but I still have 3 or 4 promised reviews
Bjorn
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. made me sad, made me happy. will follow this series.

but for the love of all things sacred, please get an editor who you are a) not related to, b) not sleeping with and c) you have no desire to sleep with.
Editing is a hard job, which requires lots of patience and skill, and whoever did your editing for this book did a very sub-par job.
ElDani
Oct 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having just finished with the first book in this series, I am left both disappointed and profoundly surprised.

On the one hand I went into this expecting a litrpg experience and while the tale has all the components, the result is anything but that. The story blurb I read on Amazon makes it sound very different from the usual fare and that proved to be correct. The story is set in some indeterminable future, where a company creates an artificial intelligence which is then used to build the most p
Rob Hayes
I was given this book to read as a judge for the Self Published Fantasy Blog Off.

This book... is an odd one. From the description it sounds like a pretty standard litRPG. Main character heads into virtual online game, adventures and personal growth ensue. But that's really not what this book is about at all. Continue Online is about trauma and one man's struggle to overcome the loss that has defined his life for years.

Character development is at the core of Continue Online and it is told (almost
Akash
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: to-reread
This book was a rather pleasant read. Grant really spoke to me, and he was (unfortunately for me) incredibly relatable. His character is a lot more believable than some other ones you typically see in stories. He's probably my favorite part about this book.

The story's action was rather slow, of course, but it had quite a nice buildup. Although, I had admittedly wondered "When will we get to the actual goddamn game?" more than a few times. I wouldn't recommend this story for anyone who's looking
Geli
Sep 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg, webnovel
This one definitely raised the bar for LitRPG novels by a long shot. Good grammer, good style, good story. What makes this one so fascinating is, that the slow beginning was just the needed foundation not only for an online adventure, but for intricate mind games and cospiracies. If you get bored, hang on, you will not regret it.

The main character is not the most stable individual around and he's still mourning his fiance. Surprisingly he gets an Ultimate Edition of a very popular game and enter
Jacob
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at the pacing of this book. It isn't a hack'n'slash grinder to level up, and the main character isn't striving to be one of the strongest in the land. The story concentrates on the main character as a person and his hardships and past problems that still haunt him. The game world allows him to play the part of an NPC guide to help others, and this NPC has a completely different personality than his. Through acting the main character is able to experience the world thro ...more
M.L.
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book as an alternative to the standard skull-smashing LitRPG adventure. There's not a lot of action and adventure here, merely a slow, meandering plot that explores emotional topics such as mortality and other deep stuff. The writing touched my heart and definitely gave me some thoughts. I appreciated this book more than I ever expected when I started reading it.
Lazybee
Jun 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book failed to impress me. The only thing I enjoyed was the affection between the protagonist, his sister and his niece. I don't particularly dislike lengthy books, but pointlessly dragging it out, count me out.
Karl Marx
The Good: Overall it's a good series. The writing is good, the plot is decent, enjoyable characters, some decent humor, great world building.

The Bad: My issues stem from no explanation being given as to why the protagonist equates consensual PvP in a video game to literal murder. The same gos for killing mindless NPC's, not advanced AI ones that never come back, as literally murder as well. This would be okay if he wan't going on and on about it every single time there is a conflict.

The Neutral

Dialogue – 4
Prose – 5
Conflict/resolution – 4
Overall rating 4.5

Available links and news you can get from Stephen’s website - https://frustratedego.com/

Because I’m writing up this review for the LitRPG special edition magazine, I’m wanting to give a lot more detail to this review, so here goes.

It takes me a good while to get through a book, not an audiobook. So this was read before bed at n
AudioBookReviewer
My original Memories audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Grant Legate had a good life until his fiancé unexpectedly died in an accident. Then his world fell apart. After a couple of suicide attempts and a stay in a mental hospital, Grant is slowly putting his life together with the help of his twin sister and young niece.

Work is Grant’s life now. Grant and his robotic coworker repair machines that allow people to experience virtual alternative realities. In these
Chris Evans
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg, favorites
Wow.

I've come to expect certain things when it comes to litRPGs. While I enjoy the framework, they do tend to be trashy low quality works of self insert fan fiction. As a whole, they tend to be very niche works that only appeal to gamers (speficly RPG gamers). Then there's Memories...

This... isn't really a LitRPG. Oh sure, it uses the man plays an immersive MMO VR game setting, but Morse does it right and uses that just as the setting to tell an incredibly engaging, character driven native that
Edward
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Couldn't stop reading!

I love this book. Not only is it a wonderful escape from reality, it caused me to think about how to improve myself in real life. Not because it's preachy--it's not--but because it lets you in on the deep thinking of other people, all while being fabulously entertaining! (Far from an easy balance to maintain!)
All in all a great read.
It's also important to me to note that this is a complete book, not one of those annoying little serialized novelettes that are too short and
Lucas Ellison
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Genre Defining

This book caught me off guard. I've read a few books in the Litrpg Genre and as such I thought I knew what to expect from this story. I was very wrong. Most LitRPG stories are mostly lighthearted, but not Continue Online: Memories. This book deals with some heavy emotions. It does so fantastically though. I could very much relate to the main character in this novel. He was pretty real to me.
His unusual experience in this game world was also very interesting and moving as well. Thi
Ronnie Borgquist
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, audible
I have to say that this book got to me a little too much. I could really live into the main character the way he thinks, acts and feel.

Most of this book is plot and characters build up and normal I would find that boring but this book does it really good. Even making sure that people that don't play MMORPG games can follow like explaining what NPC (A non-player character is a computer (scripted) in a game character that is not controlled by a Human player) means.

odedo1
Jul 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a tough one,
I hade a love hate relationship with this book or more like hate love because the hate came first but as I kept moving forward into the story it got pretty good.
About recommending this book, that’s tough, I do but not for all games for sure will love it so I have no problems recommending it for that group, about anyone else I don’t know what to say.
Andrew
Jul 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: male-lead, vrmmorpg
Great book, nothing more to say, i have read my fair share of his genre, and this is the best one so far, not as thrilling as others, but it has something, story wise, so little action, i did not like that too much, and the whole dead ex got real creepy at some point, sadly the next book, made, seems to be BS of the BS, dont want to read it, but will give it a chance.
Tom
Apr 05, 2016 rated it liked it
The editor needs better glasses. This book is good. The story is engaging and profoundly, deeply disturbing. I felt like I was missing a lot of catch phrases and in-jokes that only ppl who play a lot of online RPGs would get. I can't decide if I really liked it, or, just disturbed.
Bill Scoville
Aug 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Starts slow but it takes off

When I first started this book I thought hmm a little slow but he was just laying the groundwork for what would turn out be a very thoughtful and entertaining book. I couldn't recommend it higher.
Boguslaw Bobrek
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Best LitRPG ive read.
By far.Builds a bit slowly but is well worth it. Very refreshing,as it have ideas not present in other books from subtype.
Yodwynn
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
My first foray into LitRPG and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've already purchased the next book in the series.
Milan
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting addition to the litRPG genre. Story was engaging and it made me intrigued enough to read more even with a few little issues.
Micheal Smith
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i like it... was reading other reviews. did not agree with many of the negative reviews.
Joseph Thomas
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Memories is the first book in the Continue online series by Stephan Morse. It follows Grant Legate, a man who lost his wife and has now thrown himself into his work while most everyone else has become obsessed with the latest Virtual Reality "pods" that allow people to fully immerse into fantasy worlds. When Grant finally catches up with the rest of the world and tries the most popular Fantasy game, Continue Online he finds more than he expected and gets to experience the game in a unique way.

O
Heather
This is book one in the Continue Online series, and it's unlike any LitRPG novel I've read so far. Grant Legate works with an AI companion to repair virtual reality capsules. Grant throws himself into his work to distract from his recent loss and bouts of depression. When he's gifted a copy of the virtual reality game Continue Online, he finally takes the time to explore the game that the rest of the world is obsessed with. Once he does, he faces questions about the concept of reality and AI.

Th
Jessica
Sep 04, 2017 rated it liked it
RPGLit

Continue was originally recommended to me by a friend who knows how much I love video games and books, and I was convinced this was right up my alley! Continue did not let me down and immersed me in a world I would love to play in RL.
I give it 3 out of 5 stars as it was a little dry in parts and seemed to drag as the author set up the final climax of the novel. There were often a few grammatical errors as well but nothing too hard to understand what was trying to be communicated.
Ultimatel
Billie
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: litrpg
This was a good book.

Starts up with your ordinary LitRPG setup, ends up being vaguely like Remnant Population.

Manages to stand apart from the rest of the genre, with interesting characters and avoids the pitfalls most of these books have. Story is strong if a little meandering. Made me cry

The ending seemed pretty final and I would guess that the next in the series will be a very different book. So that should be interesting.
Kitty_ranma
"Slow start great otherwise" audio version
The first 20 minutes or so was blah then it got better and better. I can't wait for the next part.
The narrator's earthy voice made it come to life.
This audiobook was given to me for free at my request from the publisher, author or narrator and I provided this voluntary review.
Ralph Trickey
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a LitRPG
I've now read the first three books. Despite being set in the near future in an MMORPG, these don't talk about stats, battles in detail or anything you would expect in a litrpg
This is about a depressed broken man who gets a chance to play an NPC. He is struggling with the loss of his fiance and just wants to keep busy. This is a complete episode.
The different thing about this book is that the NPC he plays is an old man who greets newbies, it is not until the third book that the actua

• Video Game Plotline Tester (The Dark Herbalist, #1)
  • The Beginning (Dark Paladin #1)
  • Project Daily Grind (Mirror World, #1)
  • End Online: Volume 2 (End Online, #2)
  • The Book of Ralph
  • Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #1)
  • Shadows in the Flame (The Dragon's Wrath, #3)
  • The Bathrobe Knight (The Bathrobe Knight, #1)
  • Universe Online - Enter the Game: Part 1
  • You're Not Allowed to Die (The Twenty-Sided Eye Series, #1)
  • Edge of Reality (Phantom Server, #1)
  • The Cursed Princedom (Realm of Arkon, #2)
  • Origin A.R.S: Volume 1 (Origin ARS, #1)
  • The Way of the Clan Book 1 (World of Valdira, #1)
  • The Digital Frontier (Yvvaros #1)
  • Dungeon Player (Glendaria Awakens #1)
  • The Wrong Unit
  • Otherlife Dreams (The Selfless Hero Trilogy, #1)
Stephan Morse was born the year 1983 in San Diego. The next fifteen years were spent slowly escaping California and surviving a public education system. Thus far he's made it to the Seattle (WA) region with little desire to go further. When not trying to shove words together into sentences Stephan spends time reading, catching up on sleep, and otherwise living a mundane life.

Continue Online (5 books)
  • Made (Continue Online, #2)
  • Realities (Continue Online, #3)
  • Crash (Continue Online, #4)
  • Together (Continue Online, #5)